Geno Smith to start on Sunday vs the Ravens

Maxman

Just now, JetFreak89 said:

Absolutely right. 

what's happening now should have happened last year but they had a weak schedule and got lucky a few times.  rebuilding teams bench crappy veteran qbs and ultimately play the guys the new gm drafted.  we'll all see petty soon enough.  and hack is now on notice too.

• Replies 772
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, bostonmajet said:

We can start Geno as Petty hasn't had the snaps, but does anybody think he will convince anybody? There are those die hard Geno fans that believe he 'deserves' another chance, but how well do we expect him to play especially without Decker? If it helps quiet the Geno needs another shot fans, then great. The downside, of course, is that Geno plays well enough and then we are stuck with either signing him to a long term starter contract, or having another QB controversy. Best case, for the FO is for him to fail miserably so that can say, 'see this is why we brought be Fitz and stuck with him'.

My real concern, however, is that Petty needs to get the #2 reps. If not, he will never be given a chance this year. You also want Hack to still get the #3 reps. I am okay if Fitz is the one loosing the reps (even if they don't announce a depth chart change).

I would love to see Hack start 2 games, but if he isn't ready, I am okay waiting until TC next year.

They will likely have to let a QB go if they want Devin to come back. Of course we can always drop a useless TE; my vote would be Davis.

For the sake of the franchise, we want one of two things:

1.  Geno Smith rises from the ashes like the phoenix and knocks the cover off the ball and shows us he is a franchise quarterback.

2.  We audition all 3 quarterbacks at various times in the last 10 games to get a feel for Geno as well as Petty and Hackenberg so that when we have a high draft pick in April we know if we need to take no quarterbacks or one or two.

SAR I

Just now, UnitedWhofans said:

I'm saying wait til you are mathematically eliminated and then make the switch.

So you dont believe the vote of confidence?

So you are up in arms and pouting because we didn't want to waste 3 or 4 more weeks drowning with Fitz? 3 or 4 weeks where we could actually get some insight into who could be playing QB NEXT year and beyond when we actually have a shot at the playoffs? Got it. 

1 minute ago, Augustiniak said:

what's happening now should have happened last year but they had a weak schedule and got lucky a few times.  rebuilding teams bench crappy veteran qbs and ultimately play the guys the new gm drafted.  we'll all see petty soon enough.  and hack is now on notice too.

The Jets stopped the rebuild once they fired Idzik. The chickens are now coming home.

2 hours ago, shuler82 said:

Woody is paying Fitz $12M and is well aware of the hatred the fan base has towards Geno. Why would he intervene and tell the coaching staff to start him?

Yeah, this.  What exactly does Woody think this move gonna do?  Placate the fanbase that hates Geno?

Because Gruden said on Monday Night that Woody was getting antsy. And his past history does play that out. You play connect the dots

well if it is true that Woody made this decision, then I have even less confidence in Bowles because it is obviously the right decision and he doesn't even know it.

Just now, SAR I said:

1.  Geno Smith rises from the ashes like the phoenix and knocks the cover off the ball and shows us he is a franchise quarterback.

2.  We audition all 3 quarterbacks at various times in the last 10 games to get a feel for Geno as well as Petty and Hackenberg so that when we have a high draft pick in April we know if we need to take no quarterbacks or one or two.

SAR I

Yes, this is exactly what we want. 

That said, the reality when you look at the rest of the schedule is Geno is not terrible enough to lose games on his own, but not good enough to win them either. He goes along for the ride much like Fitzpatrick did last year, and we don't see Petty or Hack at all the rest of the year, and we are basically forced to sign Geno to be our QB for next year

Just now, Matt39 said:

The Jets stopped the rebuild once they fired Idzik. The chickens are now coming home.

yet mccags has drafted 2 qbs with higher upside than geno.  i'll roast mccags if both fail, and he may get another one next draft.  leonard williams and lee are both good.  i gave idzik time for his picks to suck before railing him, mccags gets time.  now, if he didn't have any qbs waiting to save the ship, that would be terrible.

Just now, Matt39 said:

Eric Mangini was the last guy to get a vote of confidence. 

Well there you go. Nobody believes him.

I guess we will have to wait until they are 1-15 or so and they keep Bowles. If they don't, we are now the worst run organization in football. If they do, at least they have some backbone

4 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Even if it's the right move (spoiler, it's not) we basically just fired Bowles. It's over for him already.

I don't agree with this.  Bowles will not be fired.  Only way he gets fired is if the fan and media reaction is truly pushing him out.  I doubt that will be the case.  He should NOT be fired...You can't fire a coach after two year...especially one that had Fitzpatrick as his QB.

Just now, Cap'nObvious said:

Yes, this is exactly what we want. 

That said, the reality when you look at the rest of the schedule is Geno is not terrible enough to lose games on his own, but not good enough to win them either. He goes along for the ride much like Fitzpatrick did last year, and we don't see Petty or Hack at all the rest of the year, and we are basically forced to sign Geno to be our QB for next year

Geno going along for the ride isn't going to happen though. Once we hit our 8th or 9th loss and Petty is ready, he is going to start. Macc is going to make that happen. 

Just now, FidelioJet said:

I don't agree with this.  Bowles will not be fired.  Only way he gets fired is if the fan and media reaction is truly pushing him out.  I doubt that will be the case.  He should NOT be fired...You can't fire a coach after two year...especially one that had Fitzpatrick as his QB.

You haven't been a fan of this team long have you?

Once you undercut the coach on his basic responsibility then it's over

Just now, SAR I said:

SAR I

True. I agree with you, but..

1. what are the chances? isn't it more likely that at best (for him) Geno plays well enough to get a long term contract? Then we are stuck with him because he played better than Fitz against weak opponents. If Geno wins 4 games and only looses to the Pats, how do you let him go?

2. If hack isn't ready (poor reads, bad footwork) and either reenforces the his bad habits in an effort to survive or try and win (like his last years at Penn St), I would prefer to wait then to ruin him. If the CS thinks he is 'ready enough', it would be great to see him play.

Even if they go 1-15, Bowles cant be fired now otherwise Woody will look more like a fool. Because honestly, what is the difference between 1-5 and 1-15.

Just now, JetFreak89 said:

Geno going along for the ride isn't going to happen though. Once we hit our 8th or 9th loss and Petty is ready, he is going to start. Macc is going to make that happen. 

And why not? Our schedule is about to get really easy, really fast.  What makes you think Macc has any say in this? No way Woody is going to let Macc pull his guy who is keeping the fans happy, just like Woody probably had his hand in Fitzpatrick coming back.

2 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Normally I'd agree. However the defense (Bowles' specialty) looks horrible. When you consider the talent they have on that side of the ball, it's inexcusable.

If this team continues to look lifeless, Bowles can and should be fired. 

8 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Wake up, Bowles just made the only move that made sens.  Woody has done nothing, not one thing to undermine this GM or HC.  Dream on, I know you want your guy replaced for all the right football reasons so you've convinced yourself that the owner did it for some dumb assed reason.  Like clearing the stench off the field, like to maybe score more points than a hockey team on a given night, like just not sucking like the worst team in he league when we all know this isn't the worst roster in the league.  

I don't know where you are coming up with the basis of your argument because right now I couldn't care less who starts. Pack in the season and maybe get some talent through the draft.  I was just telling you the reasons why Bowles would never make this move unless directed by someone above him.  Woody has been known to meddle, its been proven and he has a history. To turn a blind eye to that fact is troubling. Bowles also stated that he stands by Ryan after the game but changes his mind two days later... I don't know why you are so adamant that Woody had nothing to do with it.

Woody wants people to come to the games... If Ryan starts Sunday he will have his attendance at an all time low for the season. He knows this, everyone knows this.... Now he gets people excited again, one way or another so they can bank money on concessions, because we know thats where you make all your money anyway.

Bowles has shown to be stubborn, and he also doesn't take crap, yet Geno running up and down the sideline throwing tantrums and he rewards him with a start... No chance in hell.

Maybe its not Woody and instead Mac, I could be wrong on that front, but history has proven otherwise

Just now, sourceworx said:

Normally I'd agree. However the defense (Bowles' specialty) looks horrible. When you consider the talent they have on that side of the ball, it's inexcusable.

If this team continues to look lifeless, Bowles can and should be fired. 

And then we become the Cleveland Browns. Revolving door of coaches

Just now, UnitedWhofans said:

And then we become the Cleveland Browns. Revolving door of coaches

Not going for it on 4th and 2 at mid-field with 7 minutes to go in the Steeler game shows that he doesn't understand the game. Its a troubling sign to say the least

2 minutes ago, Skeptable said:

I don't know where you are coming up with the basis of your argument because right now I couldn't care less who starts. Pack in the season and maybe get some talent through the draft.  I was just telling you the reasons why Bowles would never make this move unless directed by someone above him.  Woody has been known to meddle, its been proven and he has a history. To turn a blind eye to that fact is troubling. Bowles also stated that he stands by Ryan after the game but changes his mind two days later... I don't know why you are so adamant that Woody had nothing to do with it.

Woody wants people to come to the games... If Ryan starts Sunday he will have his attendance at an all time low for the season. He knows this, everyone knows this.... Now he gets people excited again, one way or another so they can bank money on concessions, because we know thats where you make all your money anyway.

Bowles has shown to be stubborn, and he also doesn't take crap, yet Geno running up and down the sideline throwing tantrums and he rewards him with a start... No chance in hell.

Maybe its not Woody and instead Mac, I could be wrong on that front, but history has proven otherwise

"Pack it in". Luckily fans don't run organizations this big and complex. They have a mission, to win games. They are doing all they can to continue that. Fitz has performed at a horrible level. They needed a change, they made it early in the week. Lets see how it pans out. By the way, no one is coming to the game just to watch Geno. Attendance will hold steady from what it would have been.

Archived