OHHhhh Revis....

whodeawhodat

17 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

If we had a halfway decent QB and we were winning games no one would be be picking on Revis. 

Winning changes everything win some damn games. 

Fitz sucking doesn't excuse the 17 million dollar man giving up over a 100 QB rating when he is thrown at.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 hours ago, RoadFan said:

He showed up out of shape in 2010 too after his holdout.  That's why he pulled a hammy that season.

I was one of the very few that did not want Mevis the mercenary back.  Now that he is here, they have to try him out at safety in 2017. 

No he didn't.  He pulled a hammy and missed a game.  Not the same as your contention that's he showed up out of shape. As if he was lazy.  

Just as not being in top shape because you were rehabbing an injury. 

If anyone has seen his off season workout regimen they would realize how dumb all this finger pointing sounds.  

20 hours ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Just move him to FS, next year

Ah yes. The magic wand of moving a player out of position because it worked with another player. Revis isn't worth 17 million as a CB, so he's definitely not worth it for a position of much less worth to a defense.  Not only that, but he has to be willing to move and take a pay cut. Plus, that would leave Buster Skrine as the #1 corner. He's no better than a 4th. He might be out this week. Which would be great so that we can get a look at Burris. 

19 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

If we had a halfway decent QB and we were winning games no one would be be picking on Revis. 

Winning changes everything win some damn games. 

It's the complete opposite.

If our supposed Hall Of Fame cornerback and the secondary he is leading stop giving up monster home runs every game and putting us behind by two scores then our not-Hall Of Fame quarterback wouldn't have to throw the ball 40 times a game trying to play catch up.

Darrelle Revis is the #1 reason we are 2-5.  Ryan Fitzpatrick isn't even in the top ten.

SAR I

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

No he didn't.  He pulled a hammy and missed a game.  Not the same as your contention that's he showed up out of shape. As if he was lazy.  

Just as not being in top shape because you were rehabbing an injury. 

If anyone has seen his off season workout regimen they would realize how dumb all this finger pointing sounds.  

When he showed up on the last episode of "Hard Knocks," He was clearly 10 lbs overweight.  You could see it in his face.

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

If our supposed Hall Of Fame cornerback and the secondary he is leading stop giving up monster home runs every game and putting us behind by two scores then our not-Hall Of Fame quarterback wouldn't have to throw the ball 40 times a game trying to play catch up.

Darrelle Revis is the #1 reason we are 2-5.  Ryan Fitzpatrick isn't even in the top ten.

SAR I

Run dont walk to the nearest bookstore and buy this maybe you would understand the game of football a lot better than you do now. 

Image result for football for dummies book

5 hours ago, RoadFan said:

When he showed up on the last episode of "Hard Knocks," He was clearly 10 lbs overweight.  You could see it in his face.

He had a great year, I never thought he was out of shape.  We all know that these guys often tweet a hammy after extended holdouts.  

4 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Run dont walk to the nearest bookstore and buy this maybe you would understand the game of football a lot better than you do now. 

Image result for football for dummies book

He's a troll making you dance by writing something idiotic. 

^

I keep hoping we're going to see something of the Revis of old.  In fairness  to him he did have the wrist injury, and while that does not excuse his weight gain, it probably does limit him somewhat in the ability to press cover his man.  Or I should say did at the beginning of the season; he should be over that by now (haven't heard anything to the contrary and I have been listening).

And it is at least something of a question whether the CS is telling them not to press at the line.  I don't see any of the Jets' secondary pressing. 

But blaming the CS doesn't really get you that far.  It's not the CS who made Revis play the way he was certainly in the first half yesterday, looking like he did not want to tackle anyone, giving a mediocre receiver way too much room, and looking slow on top of that.  It's hard to believe but sometimes he looks slower than Harris.

For myself I haven't reached any conclusions about him for next year.  There's still a possibility that he shows marked improvement.  But I have a hard time imagining he will show enough to justify his contract.  Says here he should take a cut, only question being how much depending on how he plays the rest of the year.  Unfortunately it's not like the Jets have a deep bench at CB.  Maybe Burris plays his way into the 3 man rotation. (I still think M. Williams is awful and Skrine way too inconsistent.)

Warfish mentioned Cromartie.  Cromartie was hurt last season early, but actually played better later. Imo none of the guys in the current cb rotation are playing even at Cromartie's late season level last year.

On 10/29/2016 at 10:30 AM, SAR I said:

SAR I

not true.  fitz has definitely contributed to the record, he's the qb and has made many mistakes.  the difference again is expectation.  revis was supposed to be able to cover good wrs. nobody expects fitz to flat out win games when he's always playing from behind, often by 2-3 scores.

13 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

not true.  fitz has definitely contributed to the record, he's the qb and has made many mistakes.  the difference again is expectation.  revis was supposed to be able to cover good wrs. nobody expects fitz to flat out win games when he's always playing from behind, often by 2-3 scores.

If I read the stat correctly, yesterday was the first time the Jets came back from two scores down in the second half for the last 72 games.  It's hard to do and not just because being down that much usually means the team has not been playing well on both sides of the ball, and it is hard to change direction that much.  It's also that the opposing D knows you're either going to waste too much time running the ball or taking short passes, or push it down the field where their secondary is waiting.

The point is it is hard for ANY Qb to play from that kind if deficit, and that is why SAR's point is essentially correct.  Yes it is true that in pressing (especially in the Chiefs game) Fitz takes risks that lead to interceptions.  But how did the team get behind in the first place?

Revis is supposed to be the leader of the secondary, and of the whole D in terms of ability, compensation, the importance of being able to play man coverage against the opponent's best receiver.  I am not as hard on him as some here because I give him a bit of the benefit of the doubt since he was coming back from injury.  But that doesn't excuse the overall decline he's having, and the net effect it has had on the D.

4 minutes ago, Big Blocker said:

The point is it is hard for ANY Qb to play from that kind if deficit, and that is why SAR's point is essentially correct.  Yes it is true that in pressing (especially in the Chiefs game) Fitz takes risks that lead to interceptions.  But how did the team get behind in the first place?

Against the Chiefs, the D kept us in the game until the final 4 minutes DESPITE Fitzy's 6 interceptions.- let's not do revisionist history....

This team is garbage on both sides of the ball.  Because we stink on one side of the ball does not lessen the fact that we stink on the other side of the ball.

Just for me personally as I've said before I am far more disappointed in the defense, i knew the offense was a bit of a house of cards but our defense was supposed to be a top 3-5 unit that would be winning us games, instead they have been as much to blame as the offense.

If the Revis/Jets contract actually provides that the Jets receive an offset if Revis signs with another team, so theoretically the cap hit for Revis would be little or nothing if he is cut (but see below), that would be absolute brilliance.  I can't believe it actually.  But if cut, Revis would have the choice of sitting out and collecting $6mm, or playing and having whatever he was paid applied to reduce the Jets guarantee.

But knowing Revis, he will train his absolute hardest in the offseason, have a tremendous comeback and play for the Patriots for $1.  And Goodell would not protect the Jets.

But from a principled point of view, he is setting a horrible example for the younger players.  He is too much about the money and not enough about the sport.    He is not someone the Jets should be building the team around.  Given the rebuild required, cut his tail and play Burris and that ex-Patriots guy, and their likely 1st round pick in 2017.

Revis wants to play in 2018, so he will find a place to play in 2017. If he tried to pull a fast one, sue him.

32 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

The vast majority of Fitzpatrick's mistakes occur in the second half of games because we are trailing by two scores, Gailey throws the playbook away, and we have to go Air Coryell when we are a ground and pound team.

So it's expectations, yes, but it's also situational-  when Revis and the secondary constantly put us in the hole with lousy big plays surrendered and our QB has to play catch-up, it's only going to work against weaker teams with weaker defenses.  We were dead in the water against Seattle, Pittsburgh, Kansas City, and Arizona before we even got off the bus, Revis and Co. created an impossible situation for a game-managing quarterback and one true NFL wideout.

SAR I

1 minute ago, SAR I said:

The vast majority of Fitzpatrick's mistakes occur in the second half of games because we are trailing by two scores, Gailey throws the playbook away, and we have to go Air Coryell when we are a ground and pound team.

So it's expectations, yes, but it's also situational-  when Revis and the secondary constantly put us in the hole with lousy big plays surrendered and our QB has to play catch-up, it's only going to work against weaker teams with weaker defenses.  We were dead in the water against Seattle, Pittsburgh, Kansas City, and Arizona before we even got off the bus, Revis and Co. created an impossible situation for a game-managing quarterback and one true NFL wideout.

SAR I

definitely, fitz is far worse when he's playing from behind.  the problem is that even the browns know to throw long on revis' guy to start the game.

Just now, SAR I said:

SAR I

No the mistakes happen all game long and are the main reason why we trail most games we get to the red zone and we play for a FG our QB seems ok with that. 

Fitzpatrick is the team leader not Revis remember all the players rally behind him. 

4 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

No the mistakes happen all game long and are the main reason why we trail most games we get to the red zone and we play for a FG our QB seems ok with that. 

Fitzpatrick is the team leader not Revis remember all the players rally behind him.

As you may not be aware, the Jets are run like 2 separate organizations operating in the same facility.

It is well documented that Bowles manages the defense and allows Gailey complete autonomy over the offense.  So, yes, Fitzpatrick is the unquestioned leader of the offense.  But who is that person on defense?  It's not Wilk or Richardson.  Problem is, it should be Revis and he doesn't want the responsibility in the same way he doesn't want to watch film, control his diet, or make routine tackles.

SAR I

1 minute ago, SAR I said:

As you may not be aware, the Jets are run like 2 separate organizations operating in the same facility.

It is well documented that Bowles manages the defense and allows Gailey complete autonomy over the offense.  So, yes, Fitzpatrick is the unquestioned leader of the offense.  But who is that person on defense?  It's not Wilk or Richardson.  Problem is, it should be Revis and he doesn't want the responsibility in the same way he doesn't want to watch film, control his diet, or make routine tackles.

SAR I

harris is really the leader of the defense.  the problem is that revis/harris stink now.  ideally the leaders are good players.  fitz stinks, he's the leader of the offense.  b. marshall is still good but drops passes.  he's the other leader of the offense.  all the vets/leaders are declining rapidly.  they really need a guy like petty to come in and energize the younger guys so when the others leave there's no leadership void.

6 minutes ago, OH THE PAIN said:

Not this week - go fitz , go fitz , go fitz

Against a weak opponent, Ryan Fitzpatrick is actually very good at leading a desperate comeback.

Look at his resume in New York, we were trailing to the Browns, Cowboys, Giants, and Patriots and he brought us way back after the defense allowed weaker teams to unexpectedly walk all over us (Patriots clearly not weak, that win was the outlier).

SAR I

44 minutes ago, peebag said:

Against the Chiefs, the D kept us in the game until the final 4 minutes DESPITE Fitzy's 6 interceptions.- let's not do revisionist history....

The Chiefs obviously had as a strategy maintaining a big edge on TOP.  Which they succeeded at, largely because the D did not get their O off the field quickly enough.

But the main point is the Jets were down by 11 points at the half.  While one KC td was all on Fitz, the other was a special teams play.  How much is a team "in the game" at that point?  I would also add the Jets benefitted hugely from the (correct, but still) call on KC's Td in the third quarter that was reversed because the runner fumbled into the end zone - a gift I don't think the Jet D deserved credit for.  That non-score was partly in the Jets' punt coverage team that allowed the 19 yard runback despite the 51 yard put by Edwards, but the D still allowed KC to go from the KC 37 to "score" a td that was reversed.

I did not say and do not think in particular about the KC game that Fitz was anything but the main culprit in the loss.  Clearly an awful game for him.  But the D did not play well, either.  Smith was 25 for 33 with no interceptions.  The only turnover the Jets "got" was that fumble into the end zone, an unforced error.

Corners are the worst spot for aging players and now even more in this pass happy NFL.  

Revis is obviously on the decline but we are on him more so because of his contract than anything else.  In in reality he is taking the hits for what is a very bad secondary.  In addition, the coaches need to adjust to how he is playing now and not what he used to be.

51 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

harris is really the leader of the defense.  the problem is that revis/harris stink now.  ideally the leaders are good players.  fitz stinks, he's the leader of the offense.  b. marshall is still good but drops passes.  he's the other leader of the offense.  all the vets/leaders are declining rapidly.  they really need a guy like petty to come in and energize the younger guys so when the others leave there's no leadership void.

Harris has his particular role as the interior LB who stays on the field, and makes adjustment calls.  But is he the leader in any other sense of the word?  Not that Revis is, but you get the point.  Yeah, they both are playing badly.

Archived