No upside to starting Fitz. None

JohnnyLV

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
34 minutes ago, LIJetsFan said:

Good post.  IF we lose today I hope we get crushed and it's mostly on Sixpatrick.  The FO needs to see that this QB is not even a place holder.  Hence we can begin the Petty/Hack era now.

I'm a loyal fan and so I'm rooting for a win and a well played game from us.  The above is just the next best scenario.     

Exactly, we are in the entertainment stage, no need to throw the remote or punch a wall, no yelling at the TV, just enjoy the game 

Very happy with a win, but a loss could provide some opportunity as well, Go Jets!

43 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Not in the least, I know we're bad.  Hopefully less bad that the hapless and hated Phins.

But NFL teams do not abandon trying to win until after they're out of the running.

So prattle on if it makes you feel better, I just don't see the point.  Fitz WILL start because Geno was like an egg back there and lasted one series before his year was over, and Petty either is still hurt, or just hasn't shown the staff enough to make them play him when games still count.  

When the time comes, and we're out of it, Petty will almost assuredly get to play.  No point whining about it, because no amount of whining will change how NFL teams are run.  Backup developmental QB's don;t get to start until the team is out, or the #1 gets hurt.  And unlike some of our "fans" I won't root for our #1 to get hurt.

All thread like this amount to are de facto "Meh, boo, why is water wet, dammit water should be dry, why isn't water dry!!!!!" whinefests.  We all should know better, yet here we are, mid whinefest.

You're right.  I hope the Phins' D-line destroys the Jets patchwork O-line and knocks Fitz around.  Finishing him once and for all.

The upside to starting Fitz is that you are trying to win games. Why don't people want to try and win? If the Jets fall completely out of it Petty will get starts this year. Nobodies development is being stunted.

Its incredible how many people want to just give up on the season at 3-5 with 2 winnable games in front of us. If they fall out of it, they should, and would play Petty.

1 minute ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

The upside to starting Fitz is that you are trying to win games. Why don't people want to try and win? If the Jets fall completely out of it Petty will get starts this year. Nobodies development is being stunted.

Its incredible how many people want to just give up on the season at 3-5 with 2 winnable games in front of us. If they fall out of it, they should, and would play Petty.

Fitzpatrick leads the NFL in INT's hes been the worst QB in the NFL and if Petty and Hack arent equal or better we have major problems. 

The future is Petty or Hack maybe? Not a 34 year old journeyman bum imposter QB. 

8 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Fitzpatrick leads the NFL in INT's hes been the worst QB in the NFL and if Petty and Hack arent equal or better we have major problems. 

The future is Petty or Hack maybe? Not a 34 year old journeyman bum imposter QB. 

He got off to a terrible start. He played very well for us last year. You give him a chance to fix it which is what the Jets are doing. They win, he should remain the starter.

59 minutes ago, Ex-Rex said:

I think that at seven losses Bowles would still think the season is salvageable. Of course it depends on whether the team is 2-7 or 6-7. If 2-7 it would be dumb of him to not want to see if Petty is a guy the team can move forward with or not.

I guess it depends on how you define salvageable. Not making the Post season is a fail whether it's 10-6 or 6-10 IMO. I don't believe 9 wins will get any AFC wildcard. I don't even think we will finish second within our own division 

With that being said we need to develop the QB position as well as others and stop chasing our tails. 

3 hours ago, nycdan said:

Put yourself in the mind of Mac/Bowles for a moment.  If we win today, we are 4-5, 2-0 in the division, which is still 'in contention'.  Until they lose that 7th game, they are still playing for 2016.  No GM or coach gives up on a season at this point.  They believe they have to play Fitz and I can't fault them for it, even though, as a fan, I would love to see Petty get in there.

If they lose today, I would consider writing it in, maybe, but really, it's Fitz until the first NE game is in the books.

not to mention they get fired if they lose out. The message board may have the patience for a tank job but Woody doesn't. 

There is no team I love beating more than the Dolphins. The fact that this bullsh*t arguing over our QB is still going on is a poor reflection on many of you. Pathetic. 

The psychosis is strong amongst our fans, but damn I'd think they know enough to root for the Dolphins to be shamed.

5 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

There is no team I love beating more than the Dolphins. The fact that this bullsh*t arguing over our QB is still going on is a poor reflection on many of you. Pathetic. 

The psychosis is strong amongst our fans, but damn I'd think they know enough to root for the Dolphins to be shamed.

Not surprised at all.  Remember, somebody used Patriots highlights vs the Jets last season to mock Fitz.  What Jets fan endorses the Pats to rip any Jets player?

Just have to remind yourself that not every fan has the same level as commitment/loyalty to the team.

6 minutes ago, bitonti said:

not to mention they get fired if they lose out. The message board may have the patience for a tank job but Woody doesn't. 

Many posters don't have that patience either - they want the current staff fired too. :rolleyes:

36 minutes ago, Warfish said:

"Jets Fan"

For the "greater good."  I want my team, that I have invested 30+ years in watching basically every game, to win a SB.

Only way it happens is to lose often, and build a team from the ground up for when Brady retires.  2020 and beyond.  I cannot stress this enough.  Today is worse than irrelevant with Fitz playing, it is counterproductive.

26 minutes ago, faba said:

Anyone hoping we lose any game especially to Miami- I have no tolerence for

Touche.  I have no tolerance for short-sightedness.  I want to celebrate the Lombardi Trophy.  Not a meaningless win in November against the Fish.

35 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

I hate the Cheats infinitely more than the Fish....

5 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Hack isn't playing this year. Geno is done. The only QB on the roster they're going to get a look at is Petty and he was injured for most of the year. He will get his chance when the staff deems that his is able to go out there and play. That time is coming soon. The upside to playing Fitz is that they don't have to rush Petty out there before he is ready. 

Mac and Bowles jobs are to win games while also trying to build for the future. It's a fine line and they don't seem to be quite building for the future as most of us would care for. This is an old and aging roster that most would look at and think it's built to win in the present, however, certain players who are paid the most have regressed faster than anyone could have predicted. So, I think after a few more losses you'll see the younger players start to get more and more reps at key positions, namely QB, WR, CB, LB. I'd like to see them develop a young running back but they'd have to have one on the roster first. 

I agree with this. I commend the coach for benching Fitz. I hoped it would last longer than a quarter. But they are doing the right thing now. Play Fitz until Petty is 100% and the Jets have 7 losses.

I personally would love to see Hack get some snaps later in the year. But that is because I am rooting for the post counts he brings, j\k.

44 minutes ago, Larz said:

can't wait for the comedy of the fans turning on petty followed by the inevitable venom for Hack

and so it goes

Most fans don't just turn on someone.  If they play well or show signs of possibly playing well down the road then fans will in general keep the faith.  You otoh seem to enjoy wallowing.   

4 minutes ago, Jetlife33 said:

While any fan has the right to dislike any team more than any other team, you must admit the Dolphins are our true ( and original ) rivalry. 

They were because of the Shula era; The '72 Fish, the Marino years, etc. Even into the early 2000s with Fiedler, Zach, and Jason when the Cheats were winning SBs before we knew they were cheating.  The Fish were either relevant or better for a long time.

The Cheats are relevant and better now.  It is not even close.  

41 minutes ago, LIJetsFan said:

Most fans don't just turn on someone.  If they play well or show signs of possibly playing well down the road then fans will in general keep the faith.  You otoh seem to enjoy wallowing.   

jets fans hate their hall of famers, lol

5 hours ago, UnitedWhofans said:

And as I said, Fitz didn't lose those games. If that INT had been caught, he would have been benched. But Fitz could have very easliy thrown an INT on any pass after that. But he didn't.

Fitz has added another multi INT game to his resume...his 3rd this season. Fitz still has only 1 games (week 1) where he's had a multi TD game. 

He needs to be benched.

2 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

the good news is the offense is set up nicely for next year.  they clearly don't need mangold anymore, they need a right tackle.

And left tackle. And right guard. And tight end. And young running back. And a slew of corners. And safeties. I'm sorry. Am I missing anything else?

Archived