Clady to IR, Jarvis Jenkins Waived

CrazyCarl40

16 minutes ago, bealeb319 said:

Just out of curiosity is there anyone you do like. Seems like you dislike everyone on the roster and in the front office other than guys who are on the bench behind players. Would you dislike them also of they were given a chance and had one bad play?

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Winning changes everything they say its been awhile. Im a NY Jets fan lifelong diehard very critical of my team in bad times and very happy and positive in good times. 

Our roster is a mess overpaid veterans and underachieving rookies there are many exceptions and decent players but we are 3-6 hard pressed to be happy or satisfied. 

Id like to see better drafting better coaching and better results on the field winning is everything dont believe winning isn't everything. 

Enunwa is a positive Burris has looked decent Pryor will only get better hoping Petty or Hack turn out to the guy Williams,Mo,Sheldon have an opportunity to be something special like the sack exchange was, I had high hopes for Mauldin Lachlan Edwards is a good punter. 

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Mogglez said:

Brick retired. Clady was a gamble that unfortunately did not pay off.  Still was totally worth it though.

Ivory wasn't worth his market price (spent half the season in a hospital bed).

We could not afford Snacks.  At all.

Enunwa is having a good year, Marshall and Anderson are raw rookies, as is Peake.

Lee was pretty damn good until he got hurt.

Pryor was Idzik's pick.

2 Young QBs, one a rookie, are still completely unknown.  

Rome wasn't built in a day.

Be careful ... I don't think talking sensibly is allowed here 

5 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Winning changes everything they say its been awhile. Im a NY Jets fan lifelong diehard very critical of my team in bad times and very happy and positive in good times. 

Our roster is a mess overpaid veterans and underachieving rookies there are many exceptions and decent players but we are 3-6 hard pressed to be happy or satisfied. 

Id like to see better drafting better coaching and better results on the field winning is everything dont believe winning isn't everything. 

Enunwa is a positive Burris has looked decent Pryor will only get better hoping Petty or Hack turn out to the guy Williams,Mo,Sheldon have an opportunity to be something special like the sack exchange was, I had high hopes for Mauldin Lachlan Edwards is a good punter. 

I'm onboard with Enunwa & Burris .. & Edwards.

2 out of the 3 Williams , Mo, & Sheldon should be kept to play the 2 spots on the field those 3 guys all play.

i also hope at least 1 of Petty/Hack turn out reasonable or better.

thats 6 out of 22 offensive & defensive positions you are hopeful about.

whats the fix man? Blow it up & put the young/rookie players in for all of the other spots?

that certainly won't help Petty/Hack if Brandon is removed from WR & OL/TE has a massive change made from slow & steady ... To unknown & maybe 

i am cool with the defensive guys who've played like $h*t  being called to the carpet ... But there is also a point where the coaches have to make a move.

Revis hasn't seemed to be able to play man this season as we were used to ... None of the other db's have shown enough that they can ... Therefore the near future seems to say we will have to play a bend/don't broke ... Zone oriented secondary ... Instead of what we've done in the recent past ... As well as release Revis next year due to his salary .... If that's the case I'd like to see it started now ... While we at least can have a top guy in Revis ... Who should at least still be able to cover a safe zone.

in general though I'm good working more of the rookies/2nd,3rd, 4th rounders in on D.

and the specials outside of P,K are $h*t !!!!!!! ... Def make some moves here! (If Bowles isn't at least willing to swap some of the backup players / youngsters in for the starters who have played like $h*t on specials out ... I don't like the feeling that I have about him if that is the case !

Geno injured his knee so by default Ryan Fitzpatrick is the QB once again or is it twice again by default. 
Ryan Fitzpatrick is failing miserably.
Thats the truth. 

Geno Smith is, was and always will be the worst QB, worst draft bust and worst player in Jet and probably NFL history. But he still has his joey to caress and love him though.

9 hours ago, varjet said:

I thought on this board and elsewhere was that Macc may have been wrong about that, and that in fact the Jets were not receiving a fourth round comp pick because of the Jarvis Jenkins signing (although it appears that they are now receiving it).

Not really playing Jenkins after signing him, overplaying the other DL and not really running a rotation and then cutting Jenkins is going to endear the Jets to future FA signings.

Mac paid Jenkins $3m as insurance on the Mo negotiations, simple, Mo holds out JJ plays, Mo signs JJ gets paid - could have been discussed behind closed doors, most agents know the business

Now if Mo lives up to his contract, everyone wins... 

16 hours ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Well that takes that bad decision off the board. I guess Macc knew the comp system better than people here

Have any of our wonderful beat writers figured this out yet.  A bunch of fans on this site recognized the likely reason for the Jenkins release, but unless I missed it, I have not seen one writer who recognized the likely impact on a comp pick.  Assuming what we have read in overthecap is correct, Macc in effect just "traded" Jenkins (and his 8 to 10 snaps per game) for a 4th round pick.

13 hours ago, Mogglez said:

Brick retired. Clady was a gamble that unfortunately did not pay off.  Still was totally worth it though.

Ivory wasn't worth his market price (spent half the season in a hospital bed).

We could not afford Snacks.  At all.

Enunwa is having a good year, Marshall and Anderson are raw rookies, as is Peake.

Lee was pretty damn good until he got hurt.

Pryor was Idzik's pick.

2 Young QBs, one a rookie, are still completely unknown.  

Rome wasn't built in a day.

Rofl.

Brick didn't suddenly retire and leave us scrambling like you make it sound. Maccagnan told him to take a $6M pay cut he surely knew Brick would never accept, rather than the less classy move of simply releasing him. He'd (appropriately but unsuccessfully) been shopping for a replacement LT for weeks.

We could have easily afforded Snacks earlier when he was a RFA. Easily. Maccagnan waited a year, instead of locking him up when he was flush with inherited cap space, and Harrison's price went up while Macc busted his nut on old has-beens. Just like he did with Mo, just like he did with Powell, just like he's done with Winters, and just like I expect he'll do with Enunwa, and then Williams after that.

It's kinda lame to credit Enunwa's play while dismissing Pryor as "an Idzik pick" for the obvious reason.

Macc doesn't get to ink over $350M (over $170M guaranteed) in new contracts in just 2 offseasons, and then have his defenders cry Rome wasn't built in a day. This isn't "a day" by a long-shot. Entering his 3rd offseason the Jets will be no closer to long term sustained success than they were the day he took over as GM.

4 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Rofl.

Brick didn't suddenly retire and leave us scrambling like you make it sound. Maccagnan told him to take a $6M pay cut he surely knew Brick would never accept, rather than the less classy move of simply releasing him. He'd (appropriately but unsuccessfully) been shopping for a replacement LT for weeks.

We could have easily afforded Snacks earlier when he was a RFA. Easily. Maccagnan waited a year, instead of locking him up when he was flush with inherited cap space, and Harrison's price went up while Macc busted his nut on old has-beens. Just like he did with Mo, just like he did with Powell, just like he's done with Winters, and just like I expect he'll do with Enunwa, and then Williams after that.

It's kinda lame to credit Enunwa's play while dismissing Pryor as "an Idzik pick" for the obvious reason.

Macc doesn't get to ink over $350M (over $170M guaranteed) in new contracts in just 2 offseasons, and then have his defenders cry Rome wasn't built in a day. This isn't "a day" by a long-shot. Entering his 3rd offseason the Jets will be no closer to long term sustained success than they were the day he took over as GM.

Macc's (and Idizik's (so it must be Woody's) biggest problem (ok, one of the biggest problem's) was the failure to lock up player's early they want to keep.  The Steelers did that with David DeCastro recently.  It seems in the end it costs of money, time and aggravation.

20 hours ago, jamesr said:

According to overthecap.com, we ARE in line for a comp pick for Harrison, so the Jenkins signing (and subsequent release) did NOT cost us.

http://overthecap.com/compensatory-draft-picks-cancellation-chart/

New York Jets
Qualifying UFAs Lost: 3 Qualifying UFAs Gained: 2
Name Rd. APY Name Rd. APY
Damon Harrison 4 $9,000,000  
Chris Ivory 5 $6,400,000 Steve McLendon 6 $3,500,000
Demario Davis 6 $3,900,000 Matt Forte 6 $4,000,000

Thank you, and I stand corrected.

Is it sad that it's Early November, and the only thing I have to be happy about is we get an extra late 4th rounder?

4 minutes ago, chirorob said:

Thank you, and I stand corrected.

Is it sad that it's Early November, and the only thing I have to be happy about is we get an extra late 4th rounder?

I share that sadness. What a dismal season.  Management did not do a good job for this one. 

Just now, Sperm Edwards said:

The list of "good job" things management has done since, taking over nearly 2 years ago, is pathetically short.

I think we all know that.  This could be extended to Woody's entire period of ownership since Hess died.  In fact, since 1969 it has been the same.

11 minutes ago, Dcat said:

I think we all know that.  This could be extended to Woody's entire period of ownership since Hess died.  In fact, since 1969 it has been the same.

With all due respect the Jets did get a new shared stadium and a new and improved fan base at home games under Woody Johnson. 

We still draft very poorly.

Just now, Dcat said:

Until there is evidence that the direct cause of these terrible moves is on Woody Johnson issuing specific commands in each case, I place them all upon the man who actually made the moves. I have little doubt Woody was totally behind bringing back Revis, but at $16M/yr over the first 3 yrs alone, there is no evidence that Woody overruled a Maccagnan objection to the signing. He didn't even pick the GM (for the 2nd time in a row) or the current HC, but now he's picking the most expensive players on the team? I don't buy it. 

Based on the way Maccagnan has spent so foolishly all over the place for 2 years, he gets no benefit of the doubt that only (or most of) the dumb ones were on Woody Johnson. 

11 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Until there is evidence that the direct cause of these terrible moves is on Woody Johnson issuing specific commands in each case, I place them all upon the man who actually made the moves. I have little doubt Woody was totally behind bringing back Revis, but at $16M/yr over the first 3 yrs alone, there is no evidence that Woody overruled a Maccagnan objection to the signing. He didn't even pick the GM (for the 2nd time in a row) or the current HC, but now he's picking the most expensive players on the team? I don't buy it. 

Based on the way Maccagnan has spent so foolishly all over the place for 2 years, he gets no benefit of the doubt that only (or most of) the dumb ones were on Woody Johnson. 

you misunderstood.  I wasn't exempting Mac by pointing a finger at Woody.  Just pointing out the obvious correlation. It can't be overlooked.  Hey... I believe it was Woody and Woody alone who was responsible for the Tebow circus and then later the extra $20+ million to Sanchez to make up for his hurt feelings.  But Tanny was the GM and he ultimately gets/got the blame.  Just like Tannenbaum, Mc gets no free passes.  

On 11/10/2016 at 0:58 PM, Dcat said:

you misunderstood.  I wasn't exempting Mac by pointing a finger at Woody.  Just pointing out the obvious correlation. It can't be overlooked.  Hey... I believe it was Woody and Woody alone who was responsible for the Tebow circus and then later the extra $20+ million to Sanchez to make up for his hurt feelings.  But Tanny was the GM and he ultimately gets/got the blame.  Just like Tannenbaum, Mc gets no free passes.  

Tebow? Certainly a good chance of that, and I have little doubt he was behind the move, but the idea that Woody Johnson was calling around the league and (in doing so) found that Tebow was available is thin. Everything points to "Trader Mike" Tannenbaum on this, thinking he could get value for cheap. Tossed the idea up to his boss and down to his HC, and both were stupidly on board for their own reasons. 

The idea that Woody is responsible for the Sanchez extension is preposterous. There is no basis for it, there has been no leak about it, there is no reason for it. Tannenbaum, however had reason. It lowered Sanchez's 2012 cap number by millions so Tannenbaum could go shopping again. In the process, he surely felt he was locking up Sanchez for "cheap" (some $13M/yr) where he'd be more expensive if he had a great year and then looked to re-sign him.

I understand he's a lot of people's boogeyman for different reasons, but as far as these transactions I'm not buying it on either one. The rationale as to how either one would have happened from start to finish, with Woody Johnson as the great string puller the entire time, is entirely implausible. 

24 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Tebow? Certainly a good chance of that, and I have little doubt he was behind the move, but the idea that Woody Johnson was calling around the league and (in doing so) found that Tebow was available is thin. Everything points to "Trader Mike" Tannenbaum on this, thinking he could get value for cheap. Tossed the idea up to his boss and down to his HC, and both were stupidly on board for their own reasons. 

The idea that Woody is responsible for the Sanchez extension is preposterous. There is no basis for it, there has been no leak about it, there is no reason for it. Tannenbaum, however had reason. It lowered Sanchez's cap number by some $8M so Tannenbaum could go shopping again. In the process, he surely felt he was locking up Sanchez for "cheap" (some $13M/yr) where he'd be more expensive if he had a great year and then looked to re-sign him.

I understand he's a lot of people's boogeyman for different reasons, but as far as these transactions I'm not buying it on either one. The rationale as to how either one would have happened from start to finish, with Woody Johnson as the great string puller the entire time, is entirely implausible. 

Your interpretation of what I wrote is warped. I never suggested that Woody dialed up various GMs looking for deals.  But when informed that Tebow was on the market, I have no doubt in any way he told Tanny to go get him.  Oh, the headlines and media attention for his team.  I think he prioritized that way over the fact that Tebow was terrible. And unless Tannenbaum had a vested interest in more media attention for the team vs improving the team, it was no secret around the league that Tebow was bad.   Oh yeah... he beat Rex.   the season before. There you go. :)

9 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Rofl.

long term sustained success in this league is tied to finding a franchise caliber qb. thats it. there is no other way. 

On November 9, 2016 at 1:22 PM, BroadwayJoe12 said:

That and it took a couple of decades for defensive coordinators to just shift their DE over the RT or OG lol

Left Tackle is not a position you pay guys $10 million+ per year for anymore.

This isn't the 90's when Dan Marino and Vinny Trstaverde would hold the ball for 5 minutes.

On 11/9/2016 at 1:17 PM, Beerfish said:

And on top of all that this is for a position in which we had quality and enough depth.  Just a throw away of money and a compensatory pick.

As for Clady who didn't see this coming.  As some if us said during all of those anti D'Brick threads, a guy that doesn;t miss a snap for 10 years has great value even if his play falls off a bit.  We will be looking for a LT for the next 5 years.

I could not agree more. I hope it;s not that long of course, but a solid LT is no easy find. Brick was as valuable as they come.

11 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Rofl.

1.  Considering no one expected Brick to retire, yeah it was unexpected.  Considering that he was absolutely abysmal his final year I don't know how anyone can knock the Clady trade.  We didn't lose anything and had a solid replacement who was far better than Brick's final 2 years. He got hurt.  Oh well.  It was a good move.

2.  Not only would have Harrison never taken a long term deal back when Macc first came in because the world knew he could get huge money elsewhere and we had viable replacements, but we would be absolute IDIOTS for giving him big money.  He is a strict run stopper who is being paid like a 3 down lineman.  No offense to Damon, but we're not missing him in the slightest.  The money we spent on the secondary last year made sure we didn't go through 2014 all over again.  Be pissed with Revis all you want right now, but are you seriously going to sit here and wish we gave Harrison money over Gilchrist, Revis, Skrine and Cromartie???  You're out of your mind if you answer that with a yes.  Also, there is already rumbles around the organization that Williams is looked at as an untouchable, long term player.  Just because you think something will happen, doesn't mean it will.  We all thought Mo would never get a contract.  Then he gets one this year.  A team friendly one no less.  One that allows us to trade him this offseason should we want to.

3.  With Enunwa, I was merely making the point that with him + Maccagnan's draft picks, we have a solid core of young guys who might be something special in the making.  Pryor was listed in the post I responded to as a specific gripe against Macc. I was pointing out that Idzik made that pick.

4.  We went 10 and f*cking 6 last year BECAUSE of the money he spent.  We're having the "down" year almost everyone projected we would have, and yet everyone wants to blow it all up again.  Anyone who wants to fire our 2nd GM in 4 years, is a lunatic.

11 hours ago, Mogglez said:

1.  Considering no one expected Brick to retire, yeah it was unexpected.  Considering that he was absolutely abysmal his final year I don't know how anyone can knock the Clady trade.  We didn't lose anything and had a solid replacement who was far better than Brick's final 2 years. He got hurt.  Oh well.  It was a good move.

2.  Not only would have Harrison never taken a long term deal back when Macc first came in because the world knew he could get huge money elsewhere and we had viable replacements, but we would be absolute IDIOTS for giving him big money.  He is a strict run stopper who is being paid like a 3 down lineman.  No offense to Damon, but we're not missing him in the slightest.  The money we spent on the secondary last year made sure we didn't go through 2014 all over again.  Be pissed with Revis all you want right now, but are you seriously going to sit here and wish we gave Harrison money over Gilchrist, Revis, Skrine and Cromartie???  You're out of your mind if you answer that with a yes.  Also, there is already rumbles around the organization that Williams is looked at as an untouchable, long term player.  Just because you think something will happen, doesn't mean it will.  We all thought Mo would never get a contract.  Then he gets one this year.  A team friendly one no less.  One that allows us to trade him this offseason should we want to.

3.  With Enunwa, I was merely making the point that with him + Maccagnan's draft picks, we have a solid core of young guys who might be something special in the making.  Pryor was listed in the post I responded to as a specific gripe against Macc. I was pointing out that Idzik made that pick.

4.  We went 10 and f*cking 6 last year BECAUSE of the money he spent.  We're having the "down" year almost everyone projected we would have, and yet everyone wants to blow it all up again.  Anyone who wants to fire our 2nd GM in 4 years, is a lunatic.

1. I doubt very much he expected Brick to accept a $6M pay cut in the last year of his contract. So whether retired or cut, the pay cut "offer" says to me he wanted Brick gone so he could replace him. He'd been trying to sign replacements ahead of time but failed. If he didn't trade for Clady he simply would have drafted a LT. I give Macc that much credit. Brick sucked for the past couple of years. 

2. If you really believe Snacks wanted to play under a 1 yr RFA tag for some $2M instead of a long term deal at $5-6M with some $15M guaranteed, you're living in a dream world. Unless it's a lowball offer like $3-4M/yr always grab the sure money now because it's a violent sport in which anyone can get a career altering injury on any play. Dumb players like Leon Washington turn it down.

3. Both were drafted by his predecessor. Therefore bashing one's play because he was drafted by a GM, who drafted one whose play you'd just praised, is silliness.

4. We went 10-6 because the schedule was a joke. Last year's team with playing this year's schedule doesn't finish 10-6. The problems is to date are that he doesn't appear to know what he's doing in terms of building a team (e.g. who carries 3 high value starters for 2 positions for 2 seasons, instead of parlaying one of them into value elsewhere?). His poor sense of pick/player value and priority, further leads to being a poor negotiator. 

20 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

The list of "good job" things management has done since, taking over nearly 2 years ago, is pathetically short.

Managing to call in the Williams pick without setting his tie on fire is literally second on the ******* list. And even that is kinda yeah whatever. Some would argue that the marginal value on Beasley would have been better. I personally don't think that but I know you look at the ostensible logjam as a bigger issue than I do.

On 11/9/2016 at 1:04 PM, Integrity28 said:

#ThanksMACCCCCC

WTF, what a mess, from executive of the year to Idzik 2.0

This great honor went to Jerry Jones the previous year when the Cowboys sucked. So much for exec of the year award. Mac now gets exterminate of the year award. He'll always have his coffee though. 

On 11/9/2016 at 1:17 PM, Beerfish said:

And on top of all that this is for a position in which we had quality and enough depth.  Just a throw away of money and a compensatory pick.

As for Clady who didn't see this coming.  As some if us said during all of those anti D'Brick threads, a guy that doesn;t miss a snap for 10 years has great value even if his play falls off a bit.  We will be looking for a LT for the next 5 years.

So now we need a LT, a QB, a RB, a guard, a RT, a safety that can cover, 2 cb's, 2 lb's that can rush the QB, a coach with common sense, a GM that can draft and a patridge in a pear tree. Did I miss anything ?

2 minutes ago, Powpow said:

So now we need a LT, a QB, a RB, a guard, a RT, a safety that can cover, 2 cb's, 2 lb's that can rush the QB, a coach with common sense, a GM that can draft and a patridge in a pear tree. Did I miss anything ?

Yeah...fans that actually have a clue. Give this crap a rest. Better yet, go on Facebook and share your thoughts with all the other people suffering from "traumatic stress."

3 hours ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

Managing to call in the Williams pick without setting his tie on fire is literally second on the ******* list. And even that is kinda yeah whatever. Some would argue that the marginal value on Beasley would have been better. I personally don't think that but I know you look at the ostensible logjam as a bigger issue than I do.

I think the logjam (keeping all 3, not the drafting Williams outright) is, to me, indicative of the lack of foresight in team building. I bring up Beasley because it was postulated that Williams was such a brilliant pick, rather than merely being one of the two realistic picks. As it turns out, either would have been fine. But if he's going to pull the trigger on Williams, I do believe it is an issue to keep all 3 when one is seeking the ammunition to make a high draft pick QB doable. Instead he kept all 3 and then weakly (allegedly) tried to move Mo, with no contract, during the draft itself.

A GM fixated on finding a true QB doesn't put all his QB-prospect eggs for the year (and possibly the year after as well) in the Christian Hackenberg basket simply because he feels he can get better value out of an ILB earlier, or whatever later. If he isn't willing to trade up for a QB he needs to pull the trigger on more than 1 in a year so he can dump any progressing too slowly. The team isn't winning dick with the likes of Ryan Fitzpatrick or Geno Smith (and he certainly didn't believe it would with Bryce Petty either). 

The two concerns are his value system on positions in general, and his rating of some of these prospects irrespective of position as well. Take your pick which is worse, but neither is conducive to doing much of anything other than getting poor value for draft picks and cap dollars.

There was no particular order in the things I mentioned, but if you want to read into that, then do as you will. I put it higher, most likely, because Williams is so often touted as proof of his competence.

Archived