Clady to IR, Jarvis Jenkins Waived

CrazyCarl40

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Likely, being the key word.

I said that the Jenkins move was a mistake. 1 of 2 that could be questioned at the time.

Signing Fitz: Media and Fans wanted that

Signing Mo: Media and Fans wanted that.

It's like this election. If you voted for Trump and complain afterwards, why didn;t you vote for someone else.

All I know is that if Macc fails, then Woody is going to go back to the old way of doing things which means bean counter. And I dont think you want a bean counter

But macs problem is just that, he is a talent evaluator but he has been gming like a bean counter. 

21 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

But macs problem is just that, he is a talent evaluator but he has been gming like a bean counter. 

Seems he gave the majority of his moves a 2 yr window '15-'16 with the ability to get out of most of these end of this season. Which until you get a QB is the smart thing to do  

per the CBA you're only permitted to be under the salary floor so many years   

58 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Spin it however you like, the "other side" of the Fitz debate is still 100% wrong and just as off-base as the Fitz supporters were.

Best of luck explaining how supporting Glass Geno was "right", lol.

Geno was a cheaper option

According to overthecap.com, we ARE in line for a comp pick for Harrison, so the Jenkins signing (and subsequent release) did NOT cost us.

http://overthecap.com/compensatory-draft-picks-cancellation-chart/

New York Jets
Qualifying UFAs Lost: 3 Qualifying UFAs Gained: 2
Name Rd. APY Name Rd. APY
Damon Harrison 4 $9,000,000  
Chris Ivory 5 $6,400,000 Steve McLendon 6 $3,500,000
Demario Davis 6 $3,900,000 Matt Forte 6 $4,000,000

I already lost confidence in Bowles.  He needs to go.  I'm starting to loose confidence in Macc.  Looks like he needs to go as well.  Can this franchise please bring in a GM who has been successful in this league as well as a coach who is experienced and has been successful in this league.  Enough with promoting the hot coordinator or the big time scout.  This team needs a coach and GM who have experience in building a winner.  I'll even settle for an accomplished coach and give him total control!

1 minute ago, bd71 said:

I already lost confidence in Bowles.  He needs to go.  I'm starting to loose confidence in Macc.  Looks like he needs to go as well.  Can this franchise please bring in a GM who has been successful in this league as well as a coach who is experienced and has been successful in this league.  Enough with promoting the hot coordinator or the big time scout.  This team needs a coach and GM who have experience in building a winner.  I'll even settle for an accomplished coach and give him total control!

All the successful GMs have jobs.  Better jobs than what the Jets can offer.

19 minutes ago, jamesr said:

According to overthecap.com, we ARE in line for a comp pick for Harrison, so the Jenkins signing (and subsequent release) did NOT cost us.

New York Jets

Well that takes that bad decision off the board. I guess Macc knew the comp system better than people here

34 minutes ago, C Mart said:

Seems he gave the majority of his moves a 2 yr window '15-'16 with the ability to get out of most of these end of this season. Which until you get a QB is the smart thing to do  

per the CBA you're only permitted to be under the salary floor so many years   

I don;t have an issue with some of his deals in year one but he went a bit over board leaving us scrambling for cap space this year.  I dislike most of is medium free agents this past year thus screwing us out of 2 or 3 comp picks for next years draft.  He fell into the 'we are pretty close to doing something here' trap.

5 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I don;t have an issue with some of his deals in year one but he went a bit over board leaving us scrambling for cap space this year.  I dislike most of is medium free agents this past year thus screwing us out of 2 or 3 comp picks for next years draft.  He fell into the 'we are pretty close to doing something here' trap.

Well according to over the cap we keep the best comp pick. 

Update: Here it is.

http://overthecap.com/2017-compensatory-draft-picks-update-5102016/

" If any CFA is permanently cut from their team’s roster before Week 10, they will not qualify for the compensatory formula."

25 minutes ago, jamesr said:

New York Jets

That is a recent change because that is now what was shown earlier in the year. 

Ah it appears by cutting Jenkins that will allow them to get a pick for snacks or so it says:

New York Jets: They’re stuck on a net value 7th that’s below the 32-pick limit.  The Jets signed Jarvis Jenkins to play behind a deep position with Sheldon Richardson, Leonard Williams, and potentially Muhammad Wilkerson.  Cutting Jenkins would incur $2.25 million of dead money against the 2016 cap, but it would also put the Jets in line to pick up a 4th for Damon Harrison.

Just now, Beerfish said:

Ah it appears by cutting Jenkins that will allow them to get a pick for snacks or so it says:

New York Jets: They’re stuck on a net value 7th that’s below the 32-pick limit.  The Jets signed Jarvis Jenkins to play behind a deep position with Sheldon Richardson, Leonard Williams, and potentially Muhammad Wilkerson.  Cutting Jenkins would incur $2.25 million of dead money against the 2016 cap, but it would also put the Jets in line to pick up a 4th for Damon Harrison.

Via the rule in my post above

1 minute ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Via the rule in my post above

Still never made sense to bring that guy in for that money when they could have just as easily re-signed Douzable for less money and not even putting a compensatory pick into question. It's a bad move either way.

Just now, CrazyCarl40 said:

Still never made sense to bring that guy in for that money when they could have just as easily re-signed Douzable for less money and not even putting a compensatory pick into question. It's a bad move either way.

Maybe so, but the fact that they recoup something, it virtually takes away any impact or consequence. Only about 2 million in dead money against this cap. Doesn't affect next year's cap, apparently.

And if I read it properly, we also are in line for a 7th for net value, alhthough I'm not sure. So while we traded away a pick for this year, we get two back. 

7 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Carl I agree this why I question Macc he seems to make some really bad decisions and it concerns me.

3 hours ago, SAR I said:

I was deeply concerned about Bowles, now I'm getting deeply concerned about Maccagnan.

Were any of his offseason moves good?  Lost Brick, lost Ivory, lost Snacks.  Free agent replacements hurt or not cutting it.  None of the young WRs stepping up to fill Decker's shoes.  Lee/Pryor not working.  Petty and Hackenberg [apparently] not qualified to improve the QB position.  Bowles looking like he's lost the locker room.

Someone talk me off the ledge please.

SAR I

download.jpg

17 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Well according to over the cap we keep the best comp pick. 

Update: Here it is.

http://overthecap.com/2017-compensatory-draft-picks-update-5102016/

" If any CFA is permanently cut from their team’s roster before Week 10, they will not qualify for the compensatory formula."

Here's a bit more detail :

In order to qualify for the comp equation, a player must have been a true Unrestricted Free Agent whose contract had expired or was voided after the previous season (i.e., he cannot have been released by his old team); he must sign during the UFA signing period (which ended July 27 last year); if he signs after June 1, he must have been tendered a June 1 qualifying offer by his old team; his compensatory value or contract value must be above a specific minimum amount; and he cannot have been permanently released by his new team before a certain point in the season (which seems to be after Week 10) or, possibly, before getting a certain amount of playing time, unless he was claimed off waivers by another team.

2 hours ago, jamesr said:

New York Jets

Exactly.  That is why we released him now.  If he were still on the roster for week 10, Jenkins would have counted against the comp pick formula.  By releasing him today, we recoup the pick.  Jenkins was likely signed with the expectation that we would trade Mo.  Once Mo re-signed, he became a depth piece that we held on to for as long as we could before losing the comp pick.  

11 minutes ago, Lith said:

Exactly.  That is why we released him now.  If he were still on the roster for week 10, Jenkins would have counted against the comp pick formula.  By releasing him today, we recoup the pick.  Jenkins was likely signed with the expectation that we would trade Mo.  Once Mo re-signed, he became a depth piece that we held on to for as long as we could before losing the comp pick.  

Or, he took a flyer on a guy; it didn't work out and he moved on (saving us the comp pick). You know how many FA and draft picks that don't work out for the Pats. The question is, is this team significantly better than the team he inherited 2 years ago. IMO, the jury is still out. But, we do have a bunch of younger players that are starting to shine. We will have to wait and see (especially if Petty or Hack becomes something). Signing someone who doesn't fit isn't the problem as long as there are not any long term cap implications and we cut bait when we need to.

Not that our season wasn't over before this, but now we officially know we have a 0% chance of sliding into the playoffs with 9 or 10 games. The Jets are staring 5-11 in the eyes this season. Yikes. 

LT becomes a MUST in the first round now. I personally wouldn't have drafted Hack and gone Tackle in the 2nd round last year. I said it the minute we drafted Hack, but what do we know.

5 hours ago, SAR I said:

I was deeply concerned about Bowles, now I'm getting deeply concerned about Maccagnan.

Were any of his offseason moves good?  Lost Brick, lost Ivory, lost Snacks.  Free agent replacements hurt or not cutting it.  None of the young WRs stepping up to fill Decker's shoes.  Lee/Pryor not working.  Petty and Hackenberg [apparently] not qualified to improve the QB position.  Bowles looking like he's lost the locker room.

Someone talk me off the ledge please.

SAR I

Brick retired. Clady was a gamble that unfortunately did not pay off.  Still was totally worth it though.

Ivory wasn't worth his market price (spent half the season in a hospital bed).

We could not afford Snacks.  At all.

Enunwa is having a good year, Marshall and Anderson are raw rookies, as is Peake.

Lee was pretty damn good until he got hurt.

Pryor was Idzik's pick.

2 Young QBs, one a rookie, are still completely unknown.  

Rome wasn't built in a day.

6 hours ago, maury77 said:

Guys, I'm pretty sure that since Jarvis Jenkins was cut before week 10, we can still recoup the comp pick for Snacks. It was actually a pretty wise move for Macc to cut him now rather than wait until the offseason. Maybe management is already folding its hand on the season. 

It is what it is on Clady. The Jets tried to sign Beachum to replace Brick, but Beachum signed with Jax. By the time Brick retired, the FA market was empty and Macc wasn't going to go into the draft being forced to find a starting OL. 

I'll quote because this should be on every page of this thread...

5 hours ago, Beerfish said:

And the Jets 4th goes to Washington for Brandon Shell. Mcc mentioned them getting a comp when the announcement of the trade was made during the draft.  

"As the draft unfolded, the player slid to a point where we felt it would be worth investing and trading a [2017] fourth-round pick to get the player we liked in the fifth round," GM Mike Maccagnan explained. "We took the player now from an investment standpoint and gave up a fourth-round pick going forward.

"Some of that also had to do with the fact that we had compensatory picks that we're projected to have next year after what happened in free agency. We'll still potentially have a fourth-round pick next year that's a compensatory pick. We just used it a little bit earlier this year. We didn't actually trade the compensatory pick. We traded our actual draft pick we have in the fourth round next year."

Maccagnan thinks Shell has "a lot of ability and potential. We thought from a value standpoint where we took him was very good. He's a big, long athletic offensive tackle who has the chance to potentially develop into a good backup, possibly a starter in time. He's like a lot of players. He probably needs some work. We're excited about where we took him and felt the investment for making the trade was well worthwhile."

9 minutes ago, C Mart said:

And the Jets 4th goes to Washington for Brandon Shell. Mcc mentioned them getting a comp when the announcement of the trade was made during the draft.  

"As the draft unfolded, the player slid to a point where we felt it would be worth investing and trading a [2017] fourth-round pick to get the player we liked in the fifth round," GM Mike Maccagnan explained. "We took the player now from an investment standpoint and gave up a fourth-round pick going forward.

"Some of that also had to do with the fact that we had compensatory picks that we're projected to have next year after what happened in free agency. We'll still potentially have a fourth-round pick next year that's a compensatory pick. We just used it a little bit earlier this year. We didn't actually trade the compensatory pick. We traded our actual draft pick we have in the fourth round next year."

Maccagnan thinks Shell has "a lot of ability and potential. We thought from a value standpoint where we took him was very good. He's a big, long athletic offensive tackle who has the chance to potentially develop into a good backup, possibly a starter in time. He's like a lot of players. He probably needs some work. We're excited about where we took him and felt the investment for making the trade was well worthwhile."

I thought on this board and elsewhere was that Macc may have been wrong about that, and that in fact the Jets were not receiving a fourth round comp pick because of the Jarvis Jenkins signing (although it appears that they are now receiving it).

Not really playing Jenkins after signing him, overplaying the other DL and not really running a rotation and then cutting Jenkins is going to endear the Jets to future FA signings.

Mike Maccagnan not the answer here wake up Woody Johnson.

Just out of curiosity is there anyone you do like. Seems like you dislike everyone on the roster and in the front office other than guys who are on the bench behind players. Would you dislike them also of they were given a chance and had one bad play?

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, bealeb319 said:

Just out of curiosity is there anyone you do like. Seems like you dislike everyone on the roster and in the front office other than guys who are on the bench behind players. Would you dislike them also of they were given a chance and had one bad play?

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

I notice that too about joewilly. In his defense I hate the whole goddamn team right now. Every last one of them. I even hate their mothers. I wish none of them were ever born. 

Except for Petty, he's cool.

Archived