Vic Beasley making the L. Williams pick look awful

Joe W. Namath

9 minutes ago, RSJ said:

No one knows how Beasley would play standing up in a 3-4. Also Williams is 2 years younger. 

except the Jets played mostly 4-3 this year without the proper personnel- there's every reason to believe they would have played in a 4-3 with the proper personnel.

You can say you don't blame him for the pick but looking at it in hindsight Beasly seems to be the better player and better fit hence the better pick..

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Villain The Foe said:

Ah, the Redskins passed on him at 5. The jets where fielding calls trying to trade out of the position but didn't like the offers so they drafted him last minute. the pick was stupid not because Williams sucks, it's because we had every reason to pass on him given the dline we already had. He should have been passed on or Wilk should have been dealt. 

the bold is hitting the nail on the head.

2 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

You guys arent getting it.  It was a layup pick.  

Williams or Beasley.  Well, we have 2 young promising dlineman but we need and outside speed rusher.  We will pass on williams and take beasley here.

Mac has made mistakes in his 1st 2 years.  This is his biggest by far.  A collosal miss.

Wonder why you're the only person on the planet crying over picking L Williams? 

Bad enough think it's a miss but a colloisal miss?  Taking a guy who is our best defensive player and a solid pro bowl talent? 

37 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

except the Jets played mostly 4-3 this year without the proper personnel- there's every reason to believe they would have played in a 4-3 with the proper personnel.

You can say you don't blame him for the pick but looking at it in hindsight Beasly seems to be the better player and better fit hence the better pick..

They have not played mostly 4-3. Its been about even - but fair point. Williams is still 2 years younger, has 7 sacks while playing a lot of interior line and has almost double the amount of tackles.

2 minutes ago, RSJ said:

They have not played mostly 4-3. Its been about even - but fair point. Williams is still 2 years younger, has 7 sacks while playing a lot of interior line and has almost double the amount of tackles.

Love the idea it's a given that Beasley would be used the same way and put up the same numbers if he was here.  Or that because of a few more sacks he's the better player.  

We've got a young DL man who is going to put up 10 or so sacks in his second season,  I'm not complaining...some always do though.  Williams was the pick to make, doesn't change if another player emerges.  

Just now, Jet Nut said:

Love the idea it's a given that Beasley would be used the same way and put up the same numbers if he was here.  Or that because of a few more sacks he's the better player.  

We've got a young DL man who is going to put up 10 or so sacks in his second season,  I'm not complaining...some always do though.  Williams was the pick to make, doesn't change if another player emerges.  

Yeah if the draft was tomorrow, I still take Williams and don't look back. I am not familiar with Beasley - but I am going to guess that a DE with that little tackles is a liability in the run game. Williams you leave on the field in every situation and lets see what Williams sack total is when he is 23 and 24. He has done nothing but continue to get better despite the fact that he should be in this years draft.

Just now, RSJ said:

Yeah if the draft was tomorrow, I still take Williams and don't look back. I am not familiar with Beasley - but I am going to guess that a DE with that little tackles is a liability in the run game. Williams you leave on the field in every situation and lets see what Williams sack total is when he is 23 and 24. He has done nothing but continue to get better despite the fact that he should be in this years draft.

Play Williams as a DE and have him pin his ears back and just rush the QB.  Bet we get great sack numbers, people that are impressed by sack totals will high 5 each other and the D will be less effective

Had the Jets passed on Williams, I doubt they would be playing a 4-3 as often as they do. The reason they use the 4-3 so much is to try and get Williams, Wilkerson and Richardson on the field at the same time (not that it produces very good results when they do). 

I liked Vic Beasley coming out and he had a ridiculous combine, however, I think he is a better fit as an OLB in a 4-3. Beasley is not very big and, if he was playing outside in a 3-4, I think he would have had a lot of trouble playing the run. Look at all the problems we had this past game with sealing the edge. That may have been a regular thing with Beasley outside. 

No question about the comparative results for these payers so far, but so much has to do with the situations they were placed in.  Williams started as an unnecessary extra piece in a 3-4, while Beasley filled an immediate need a 4-3.  Reverse the situation and ???

2 hours ago, rbstern said:

Interesting.

Don't recall reading any of this when Beasley was invisible last year.  Falcons fans were extremely worried they had a colossal bust on their hands.  Had the Jets drafted Beasley, many of the same folks in this thread would have had to been talked down off the ledge last December.

Silly b.s.

He was playing well last year, not racking up sacks yet but if you watched ATL he was generating a lot of pressure. a fast pass rusher like beasley playing next to the jets DL would be ridiculous

57 minutes ago, maury77 said:

Had the Jets passed on Williams, I doubt they would be playing a 4-3 as often as they do. The reason they use the 4-3 so much is to try and get Williams, Wilkerson and Richardson on the field at the same time (not that it produces very good results when they do). 

I liked Vic Beasley coming out and he had a ridiculous combine, however, I think he is a better fit as an OLB in a 4-3. Beasley is not very big and, if he was playing outside in a 3-4, I think he would have had a lot of trouble playing the run. Look at all the problems we had this past game with sealing the edge. That may have been a regular thing with Beasley outside. 

He's 4-3 DE but IMO he's an ideal 3-4 pass rusher OLB. rare speed and athletic enough to bend around the edge

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

Play Williams as a DE and have him pin his ears back and just rush the QB.  Bet we get great sack numbers, people that are impressed by sack totals will high 5 each other and the D will be less effective

Nah, he's not explosive enough.  If he turns into a Kris Jenkins type player, then it was a good pick.  If he turns into a Wilkerson type player, then it wasn't such a good pick.  Beasley already looks great.  Not only does he get sacks, but he causes turnovers, which is huge.

3 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

A few of you nailed the beasley pick.  What a talent this guy is.  Explosion plays is what its all about.  Williams is good but no explosion/game changing plays from him.  Thats what we lack and beasley was the pick there and mac blew it.

Jets need to decide if they are going to run a straight 4-3 or 3-4 and commit to finding an edge rusher. I hope they trade sheldon so this team can stop with the DL experiments and get some legitimate playmakers at the LB position

5 minutes ago, detectivekimble said:

Nah, he's not explosive enough.  If he turns into a Kris Jenkins type player, then it was a good pick.  If he turns into a Wilkerson type player, then it wasn't such a good pick.  Beasley already looks great.  Not only does he get sacks, but he causes turnovers, which is huge.

I could see LW as a Justin smith kind of player

4 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

I dont want to hear how leonard williams was a good pick.  It was actually a terrible pick.  When your biggest need is pass rush and you pass on a guy who in year 2 leads the league in sacks and is being talked about as Defensive Player of the Year?

What was mac thinking going Matt Millen wide reciever style on dlineman?  

Vic Beasley is becoming, if not already, the best pass rusher in the league.  It was the biggest need we had on D and Mac didnt take him.  Just awful.

I'm sorry but the guy who called for us to draft Johnny Manziel in 2014 (yeah I remember that nugget from "the other place") telling us what "he doesn't want to hear" when it comes to draft picks doesn't mean sh*t to me when you are bashing the best player this team has had, and will have, for a very long time.

1. Beasley is in a COMPLETELY different system.

2. Had multiple red flags coming out of Clemson.

3. Had a rookie year that no one was pining for.

4. Is not even close to being the best pass rusher in the league.

5. Was not the BPA when we picked, is not better than Leo, and would not and SHOULD NOT have been drafted over Leo regardless of what you think.

Leo was a bad pick, a "collosal mistake", a terrible pick, and Johnny Manziel was going to be a star. Please don't talk about the draft anymore.

16 minutes ago, detectivekimble said:

He has 7 sacks already, blows up plays behind the line after being double teamed, and has consistently graded out as an incredible interior pass rusher/DE/and DT. In his second year.  He was compared to Reggie White by pro scouts and already looks the part. What the f*ck are some of you rambling on about???

4 hours ago, Bleedin Green said:

Seriously.  Far and away the Jets best player this season, and still incessant whining about him being picked.

Yeah, this team definitely sucks, but man has there been some mind-numbingly stupid sh*t being whined about, in desperate need for yet another "new" thing to hate.

I have said it before there never has been any Jet player that has not been bashed by the fans, ever...

And that trend unfortunately seems to continue.... :(

3 hours ago, rammagen said:

this is painful to read.Hindsight is 20 20 but I like the pick the kid leads us in sacks. This is a woulda shoulda coulda a post. Sorry dude but this is off. And if we past and Lenoard was beasting ...how could we have past on him....

Ummm also do we think Williams would be playing even better with a better secondary?

Jets fans are...never mind....

Good Grief................

4 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Cant say I disagree with the thread starter. Williams is a nice player. Beasley looks like a perennial all pro.

Now I'm not saying that he won't keep it up, but Beasley has one "eh" season and one great one. He may never do this in his career again.  Williams has improved on an incredible rookie year that should have been a DROTY winner and was one of the years posted by a 3-4 DE. "Nice player"?  If last year wasn't his rookie year he'd probably already be considered a perennial all-pro.  He's shaping up to be that regardless. 

43 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

Ummm also do we think Williams would be playing even better with a better secondary?

Jets fans are...never mind....

Good Grief................

Excellent point.  Too bad the OP never thought of that.  

I'd bet good money that Leo would easily be at 10+ sacks if we had a secondary worth a damn.  Sh*t, he technically has a chance to pass Mo's 12 sack season from last year...ALL of this in year 2...with absolute trash play by the secondary and the guys next to him on the line.

Archived