Coughlin possibly to replace Rex Ryan...

southparkcpa

I for one would not want to see this..........

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2016/12/nfl_coaching_rumors_bills_want_to_hire_tom_coughli.html

T]he Pegulas have been in conversations for some time now with Tom Coughlin, and Coughlin is the front-runner to be the next head coach of the Bills following this season.

Reports of the Bills owners' interest in Coughlin date back to last summer, and our sources are telling us that conversations began again a few weeks ago and that the interest is mutual.

Unlike some former head coaches of Coughlin's stature who need to be persuaded, coerced and wined and dined to return to the sidelines, Coughlin can't wait. We are told he will jump at the first top job that is offered, which may be why the Bills appear ready to move on from Ryan so quickly

I like Coughlin, but his last few years at the Giants were not pretty.   They had talent, but did not always play well or smart.   Record wise his last 3 years were 7-9, 6-10, 6-10.   His tenure did not end on a happy note with the giants.   They had several behavioral issues in the team that in the jets would have gotten blown up even more (e.g., video of hazing of CB, Beckham's explosion) with the "lost control of team" label.    Not taking anything away as he won two SBs, but Coughlin is far from the savior.

I certainly don't think Rex is a great Head Coach and he hasn't done anything impressive in Buffalo.

But  2 years is not enough time to give a coach. Especially one who hasn't even had a losing season yet.

and

Having preliminary discussions with someone about a HC job outside of your organization while the guy is still hired is wrong.

22 minutes ago, Dinamite said:

I like Coughlin, but his last few years at the Giants were not pretty.   They had talent, but did not always play well or smart.   Record wise his last 3 years were 7-9, 6-10, 6-10.   His tenure did not end on a happy note with the giants.   They had several behavioral issues in the team that in the jets would have gotten blown up even more (e.g., video of hazing of CB, Beckham's explosion) with the "lost control of team" label.    Not taking anything away as he won two SBs, but Coughlin is far from the savior.

That final season they lost a lot of close games and had no offensive line (like us). At least players were still playing hard for him though

4 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

so they want to replace rex who has missed the playoffs 6 straight years w/ inferior talent w/ someone who missed 6 of 7 years w/ SB talent?  as bad as we have it be thankful we aren't the 2000s Buffalo Bills.

Rex handicapped by horribly talent every other coach in the universe has great talent.

Rex should have rose petals thrown at his feet for getting to two afc title games, Coughlin winning two super bowls vs the pats was all due to the great 'talent' on the giants.

1 minute ago, Beerfish said:

Rex handicapped by horribly talent every other coach in the universe has great talent.

Rex should have rose petals thrown at his feet for getting to two afc title games, Coughlin winning two super bowls vs the pats was all due to the great 'talent' on the giants.

look at it this way, w/ Super Bowl championship talent on his roster he won 10 and 9 games.  Coughlin is a good coach, he's not a better coach than rex and the last time Rex has healthy talent to win anything was probably 2011.  

5 minutes ago, nyjunc said:
6 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

look at it this way, w/ Super Bowl championship talent on his roster he won 10 and 9 games.  Coughlin is a good coach, he's not a better coach than rex and the last time Rex has healthy talent to win anything was probably 2011.  

If you honestly believe Coughlin is not a better coach than Rex, then I seriously think you need as much help as there is available. Good luck, my friend.

14 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

I think they are in the same ballpark.  both good coaches, neither great.  rex's teams overachieve more often than not, Coughlin's teams underachieve more often than not

Same ballpark? Coughlin won 2 Super Bowls in 5 years, one against an undefeated team. Underachieve?  Coughlin career winning percentage .531 vs .480 for Rex. Coughlin will be in the Hall of fame in a few years, Rex? Maybe as a tour guide . The only way they are in the same ballpark is because they coached in the same stadium for a few years.

10 minutes ago, section314 said:

Same ballpark? Coughlin won 2 Super Bowls in 5 years, one against an undefeated team. Underachieve?  Coughlin career winning percentage .531 vs .480 for Rex. Coughlin will be in the Hall of fame in a few years, Rex? Maybe as a tour guide . The only way they are in the same ballpark is because they coached in the same stadium for a few years.

the difference btw 2007/2011 NYG and 2009/2010 NYJ was very, very small.  NYG got a few breaks we didn't get.  Look at the '10/'11 title games.  in our game at Pitt an incredibly close play went against us w/ the sanchez fumble that easily could have been called a pass, in the '11 title game NYG clearly fumbled deep in their territory late in the agme but they whistled it dead.  that's not coaching, it's good luck.

Coughlin had Brunell then Eli, 2 very good QBs.  Look at what rex has had?  again, 2007 and 2011 they have SB talent and win 10 and 9 games.  they had super bowl talent the other years too and either didn't win a PO game or missed the playoffs.  both are good coaches, neither is great.  Coughlin would get the edge but they are in the same ballpark.

16 minutes ago, section314 said:

Havent you heard....  Rex and mark Sanchez wil be getting 8th place trophy's in a new wing in Canton for those who should be in.

Coughlin is a better head coach than Rex. Idk how there is even a debate. Anyway, Buffalo has a very talented roster, and a small window to jump from .500 to a contender, before the vets get too old or too many young guys seek big contracts elsewhere. That window is probably the equivalent of how many years Coughlin will coach (4-5 years). 

This would be the perfect hire for them, in my opinion. 

Coughlin has 8 seasons under .500 in 20 seasons, 40% of his seasons

rex 2 in 8, 25%

coughlin had the benefit of the league stockpiling the expansion teams in the 1990s w/ Jax and Car.  He then inherited a NYG w/ young talent that got the #1 pick his first year and he had a franchise QB(not a Peyton or Brady but a solid franchise QB).  Coughlin had streaks of 4 losing seasons in a row at the end of his Jax tenure and 3 losing seasons in a row at the end of his NYG tenure.

again, I give Coughlin the edge but Coughlin is vastly overrated b/c they got hot twice and everything broke perfectly.  Coughlin coached his entire career w/ basically 2 QBs- Brunell in jax and Eli in NY.  That is a HUGE advantage.  let's stop rex bashing and coughlin praising and dig a little deeper.  it would be foolish for Buffalo to fire rex and hire Coughlin.

12 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

Coughlin is a better head coach than Rex. Idk how there is even a debate. Anyway, Buffalo has a very talented roster, and a small window to jump from .500 to a contender, before the vets get too old or too many young guys seek big contracts elsewhere. That window is probably the equivalent of how many years Coughlin will coach (4-5 years). 

This would be the perfect hire for them, in my opinion. 

Buffalo's roster when HEALTHY is talented enough to get to the playoffs.  they were not healthy either year under Rex.  Rex did a magnificent job this year keeping the Bills in the race as late as he did.

1 hour ago, nyjunc said:

What.

The.

Hell.

I applaud Bills management for going this route, if thats where they're headed. Instead of them saying, "two years isn't really enough for a coach bla bla bla" they realize they have a talented roster that has underperformed for two seasons. Why waste anymore time when you have already wasted two with a good team? Our situation is different. We have a rookie head coach with a bad roster that was duct taped up last year, but never believed to be a real contender. Ok, we took a shot at it. Didn't work.

The Bills hired a guy who was previously a head coach and gave him a loaded roster ready to win. Rex going 8-8 with this roster is the equivalent of Bowles going 4-12 with ours.

Normally, I agree two years isn't enough time unless those 2 years were pitiful. Rex hasn't been pitiful, but definitely underachieved. But, I ignore the whole timeline thing when a coach that you believe in and has been a proven commodity elsewhere becomes available. Why wouldn't you make that switch? If any player on your roster is eh, and suddenly a pro bowler becomes available, you'd waste no time upgrading that position. Same should be with the head coach. I say we keep Bowles, unless we can hire someone who has won a super bowl before. Then, make the change. It's a no brainer. Coughlin wouldn't work here however because we are a true rebuild which will take 3-5 years and he's way too old to be here for an entire rebuild. Buffalo, with a few positions upgraded can be a contender.

People always say, "you know why the Browns get laughed at? Because they fire and hire every other year." That's only half of the truth though. They laugh at the Browns because they hire Butch Davis, Pettine, Chudzinski, Shurmur, Mangini, Robiskie, etc etc etc. No one would be laughing at the Browns if they fired Chudzinski and hired a good coach who won a championship.

The Jets unfortunately aren't too far off from bad head coach hires.

If we can trade for a proven coach, or one becomes available we need to make a switch, and I applaud the Bills for trying.

6 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

I applaud Bills management for going this route, if thats where they're headed. Instead of them saying, "two years isn't really enough for a coach bla bla bla" they realize they have a talented roster that has underperformed for two seasons. Why waste anymore time when you have already wasted two with a good team? Our situation is different. We have a rookie head coach with a bad roster that was duct taped up last year, but never believed to be a real contender. Ok, we took a shot at it. Didn't work.

The Bills hired a guy who was previously a head coach and gave him a loaded roster ready to win. Rex going 8-8 with this roster is the equivalent of Bowles going 4-12 with ours.

Normally, I agree two years isn't enough time unless those 2 years were pitiful. Rex hasn't been pitiful, but definitely underachieved. But, I ignore the whole timeline thing when a coach that you believe in and has been a proven commodity elsewhere becomes available. Why wouldn't you make that switch? If any player on your roster is eh, and suddenly a pro bowler becomes available, you'd waste no time upgrading that position. Same should be with the head coach. I say we keep Bowles, unless we can hire someone who has won a super bowl before. Then, make the change. It's a no brainer. Coughlin wouldn't work here however because we are a true rebuild which will take 3-5 years and he's way too old to be here for an entire rebuild. Buffalo, with a few positions upgraded can be a contender.

People always say, "you know why the Browns get laughed at? Because they fire and hire every other year." That's only half of the truth though. They laugh at the Browns because they hire Butch Davis, Pettine, Chudzinski, Shurmur, Mangini, Robiskie, etc etc etc. No one would be laughing at the Browns if they fired Chudzinski and hired a good coach who won a championship.

The Jets unfortunately aren't too far off from bad head coach hires.

If we can trade for a proven coach, or one becomes available we need to make a switch, and I applaud the Bills for trying.

yes, the Bills are an innovative franchise.  Since Marv Levy:

Phillips for 3, Williams for 3 years, Mularkey for 2(he sure sucks now, right?)Jauron for over 3 years, gailey for 3 years, Marrone for 2, Rex for 2.  they have this coach thing down pat and are worthy of applause:lol:

4 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

yes, the Bills are an innovative franchise.  Since Marv Levy:

Phillips for 3, Williams for 3 years, Mularkey for 2(he sure sucks now, right?)Jauron for over 3 years, gailey for 3 years, Marrone for 2, Rex for 2.  they have this coach thing down pat and are worthy of applause:lol:

The management was different for all the eras you mentioned and nowhere did I say they should be applauded for their history. I applaud them making a move for a coach that they think is better than the one they have. 

2 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

The management was different for all the eras you mentioned and nowhere did I say they should be applauded for their history. I applaud them making a move for a coach that they think is better than the one they have. 

they are spinning their wheels by hiring firing every 2-3 years.  No one that has paid attention can say Rex did a bad job this year.  there is a reason Buffalo hasn't made the playoffs this Century.

they are spinning their wheels by hiring firing every 2-3 years.  No one that has paid attention can say Rex did a bad job this year.  there is a reason Buffalo hasn't made the playoffs this Century.

excuse me

But your beloved WRECKS guaranteed playoffs in year one......and FAILED

His owner said...OK big mouth...but if you fail again in year 2, you are OUT....and he FAILED AGAIN

so HE HAS TO TAKE HIS SUCKER CIRCUS elsewhere....fat dumb brother, 30 year outdated 46 defense, crony coaching pals and all

To espn or some other media loser

2 hours ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

I certainly don't think Rex is a great Head Coach and he hasn't done anything impressive in Buffalo.

But  2 years is not enough time to give a coach. Especially one who hasn't even had a losing season yet.

and

Having preliminary discussions with someone about a HC job outside of your organization while the guy is still hired is wrong.

Normally I would agree with you, but Rex brings all of this upon himself with his bloviating. As far as Bowltite goes, if the Jets do not fire this waste immediately following the loss to Buffalo next week, I am disowning this franchise until such time as they can put a respectable product on the field. What has gone on this season is a f**king disgrace.

2 minutes ago, ASH1962 said:

Normally I would agree with you, but Rex brings all of this upon himself with his bloviating. As far as Bowltite goes, if the Jets do not fire this waste immediately following the loss to Buffalo next week, I am disowning this franchise until such time as they can put a respectable product on the field. What has gone on this season is a f**king disgrace.

So, 2 years isn't enough to judge Rex because lack of talent and injuries, but Bowles is crap with significantly less talent and more injuries?

I don't know if I want Bowles back, but you can't say he squandered a good team. Half the remaining guys are likely going on IR after falling off the bus in Gillette.

4 minutes ago, bostonmajet said:

So, 2 years isn't enough to judge Rex because lack of talent and injuries, but Bowles is crap with significantly less talent and more injuries?

I don't know if I want Bowles back, but you can't say he squandered a good team. Half the remaining guys are likely going on IR after falling off the bus in Gillette.

bowles has had less injuries/suspensions(when the season was in doubt) and has more talent but no I don't think Bowles should be fired either.

Just now, nyjunc said:

bowles has had less injuries/suspensions(when the season was in doubt) and has more talent but no I don't think Bowles should be fired either.

I would disagree about the more talent, but the Bowles thing is hard to judge. His team quit on him more than once. Clearly the O has talent issues on the line and ..., but the D for all their deficiencies should certainly be playing better. And the ST suck.Two weeks ago I would have said give him another year, but I am not sure. I am on the fence at this point.

6 minutes ago, bostonmajet said:

I would disagree about the more talent, but the Bowles thing is hard to judge. His team quit on him more than once. Clearly the O has talent issues on the line and ..., but the D for all their deficiencies should certainly be playing better. And the ST suck.Two weeks ago I would have said give him another year, but I am not sure. I am on the fence at this point.

I think your opinion is fair, I just hate hitting the reset button after 2 years. I think he should get one more year, if we improve he stays, if we are a disaster again he goes.  

His Syracuse roots would make some sense with him heading into northern country if he would take this job.  I for sure hope he doesn't land with the Bills.  Although he has been a thorn in the Pats side from the NFCE I would only want him in the AFCE if he was coaching the Jets!

Archived