By my count, Jets need to fill 12 positions this offseason

Sarge4Tide

I have us cutting loose Revis and Brandon Marshall - I suppose both could be back.  Have David Harris coming back, but he could be gone. Also have both Richardson and Wilkerson coming back in the DL

By my count we need to fill 12 positions this offseason

• QB (1) PRIORITY 1
  • RB (1)
  • FB (1)
  • WR (1)
  • TE (1)
  • OL (2)
  • LB (1)
  • CB (3) PRIORITY 1A
  • S (1)

TOTAL - 53

OFFENSE - 26
Quarterback - 3
   9 - Bryce Petty 6'3" 230 (QB)
   5 - Christian Hackenberg 6'4" 225 Penn State 
   X - VETERAN FREE AGENT

Running Back - 4
   29 - Bilal Powell 5'11" 207 Louisville 
   22 - Matt Forte 6'2" 218 Tulane (RB) 
   33 - Khiry Robinson 6'0" 220 West Texas A&M (RB) OR VETERAN FREE AGENT
   XX - DRAFT PICK

Fullback - 1
   X - VETERAN FREE AGENT / UNDRAFTED FREE AGENT

Tight End - 3
   82 - Brandon Bostick 6'3" 250 Penn State 
   88 - Austin Seferian-Jenkins 6'5" 260 Washington
   XX - DRAFT PICK

Wide Receiver - 6
   87 - Eric Decker 6'3" 214 Minnesota  
   81 - Quincy Enunwa 6'2" 225 Nebraska
   11 - Robby Anderson 6'3" 190 Temple
   17 - Charone Peake 6'3" 205 Clemson
   19 - Devin Smith 6'0" 196 Ohio State 
   XX - DRAFT PICK

Offensive Line - 9
   77 - James Carpenter 6'5 321 Alabama (G) 
   79 - Brent Qvale 6'7 315 Nebraska (T)
   74 - Nick Mangold 6'4" 305 Ohio State (C)
   76 - Wesley Johnson 6'5" 297 (C/G)
   70 - Dakota Dozier 6'4" 313 Furman (C/G/T)
   67 - Brian Winters 6'4" 320 (G)
   72 - Brandon Shell 6'5" 325 South Carolina (T/G) 
   XX - VETERAN FREE AGENT
   XX - DRAFT PICK

DEFENSE - 24
  Defensive Line - 6
   96 - Muhammad Wilkerson 6'4" 315 Temple  (DT/DE) 
   92 - Leonard Williams 6'5 300 USC (DE/DT)
   91 - Sheldon Richardson 6'3" 294 Missouri (DT/DE)
   99 - Steve McLendon 6'3" 310 Troy (DT)
   95 - Deon Simon 6'4" 330 Northwest St LA  (DT)
   75 - Anthony Johnson 6'2" 295 LSU  (DT)    OR  97 - Lawrence Thomas 6'4" 305 Michigan State  (DE/DT)

Linebacker - 8
   52 - David Harris 6'2" 245 Michigan
   55 - Lorenzo Mauldin 6'4" 259 Louisville
   48 - Jordan Jenkins 6'3" 259 Ohio State 
   50 - Darron Lee 6'1" 235 Ohio State
   54 - Bruce Carter 6'2" 240 North Carolina 
   56 - Freddie Bishop 6'4" 260 Western Michigan 
   95 - Josh Martin 6'3" 245 Columbia 
   XX - VETERAN FREE AGENT

Cornerback - 6
   32 - Juston Burris 6'0" 205 NC State 
   27 - Darryl Roberts 6'0" 182 Marshall
   37 - Bryson Keeton 6'2" 190 Montana State 
   XX - VETERAN FREE AGENT
   XX - VETERAN FREE AGENT
   XX - DRAFT PICK

Safety - 4
   25 - Calvin Pryor 5'11" 207 Louisville
   45 - Rontez Miles 6'1" 210 California (PA)
   36 - Doug Middleton 6'0" 210 Appalachian State 
   XX - DRAFT PICK

SPECIAL TEAMS - 3
 Punter - 1
   4 - Lac Edwards 6'4" 215 Sam Houston State (2016 Draft Pick)

Kicker - 1
   2 - Nick Folk 6'2" 222 Arizona 

Long Snapper - 1
   46 - Tanner Purdum 6'3" 275

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You're on the right track.  I actually think it is more like 15. 

Best case scenario is the team is legitimately competitive in 2020.  And that is if they execute a rebuild correctly.

If the Jets continue to draft poorly, a decade of Jets dark ages football like the 70s are on the horizon.

NO FRAUD AGENCY SPLURGING. Bargain shop only fot quality character guys, Special Teams contributors, and versatile fringe starter offensive lineman until they can draft some blue-chip big fellas.

4 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

NO FRAUD AGENCY SPLURGING. Bargain shop only fot quality character guys, Special Teams contributors, and versatile fringe starter offensive lineman until they can draft some blue-chip big fellas.

Or, or. We could spend a bunch of money, trade draft picks for veterans, go 9-7 next year, fire everyone, and start over again. Eh? Eh?

i don't think they need 3 corners.  they will keep skrine because of his cap hit and marcus williams is a rfa and has good talent.  with some better coaching these guys will play better.  and then there's always a chance revis will come back.  his cap hit is too high for the jets to just cut him without considering other options including a return or shift to safety.

I think there is a good chance Brandon Marshall is back. Depends on the fall out from the locker room stuff. From a football standpoint though, he will be back. 7.5 million, and he would re-negotiate.

I am not sure Revis is getting cut either. I wish they would have moved him to safety. But I am wondering if they bring him back on a new deal and change the expectation level around him.

4 minutes ago, thadude said:

I really don't get the hatred for Marshall.  Only high priced vet who actually played hard last season.  Oh he was honest about the team quitting! How dare.

marshall is a horse.  he did drop some gimmes last season but a lot of that can be attributed to the off field locker room bs affecting his play.

Brandon Marshall is still the best WR on the team, I want him back. I'm interested in the idea of Revis staying -after a pay cut- and moving primarily to safety. Don't care about the FB position, but I'd put a priority on TE. 

Marshall is clearly in decline and long overdue to melt down and physically accost a teammate, but Woody is guided by whatever dumb sh*t season ticket holders say on Twitter, so I'm sure he'll be back with a renegotiated contract that keeps him here until 2020.

10 minutes ago, thadude said:

I really don't get the hatred for Marshall.  Only high priced vet who actually played hard last season.  Oh he was honest about the team quitting! How dare.

because HE DIDN'T PLAY HARD!! How is reaching for a ball with one arm "playing hard"? How is dropping passes, at critical times mind you, "playing hard". Yeah, he managed to stay on the field more than the other Prima Dona, Decker, but that really isn't saying much.

I think Folk is a cap casualty. He's paid like a top ten kicker. He isn't one. 

You left off Marcus Williams (he'll be retained) and Buster Skrine (won't be cut). And Jalin Marshall. 

I wouldn't be surprised to see Ijalana back on the cheap. He can at least push Shell for time at RT. 

They brought in Tomlinson at TE and he seemed to get decent snaps as the blocking TE. He's cheap and I bet he'll be back. They also held onto Bowman for a while at TE on the IR so I bet they have plans for him. Position obviously needs work but it's not as presssing as others.

30 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

You're on the right track.  I actually think it is more like 15. 

Best case scenario is the team is legitimately competitive in 2020.  And that is if they execute a rebuild correctly.

If the Jets continue to draft poorly, a decade of Jets dark ages football like the 70s are on the horizon.

It depends on certain way drafts pan out

Also, obviously QB is a huge concern, and Jet fans are stuck with hoping that either Maccagnan was right about Hackenberg and literally everyone else is wrong, or he recognizes his mistake and makes the position priority #1. And while I realize the team has a lot of front seven talent on defense, a consistent, effective pass rusher also has to be high on the priority list. 

17 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Or, or. We could spend a bunch of money, trade draft picks for veterans, go 9-7 next year, fire everyone, and start over again. Eh? Eh?

LOL.  Trying the same thing over and over...

Definition of insanity, anyone? Anyone?

18 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

I think Folk is a cap casualty. He's paid like a top ten kicker. He isn't one. 

You left off Marcus Williams (he'll be retained) and Buster Skrine (won't be cut). And Jalin Marshall. 

I wouldn't be surprised to see Ijalana back on the cheap. He can at least push Shell for time at RT. 

They brought in Tomlinson at TE and he seemed to get decent snaps as the blocking TE. He's cheap and I bet he'll be back. They also held onto Bowman for a while at TE on the IR so I bet they have plans for him. Position obvously needs work but it's not as presssing as others.

Very high on Bowman myself.  I thought he'd start getting some run and as soon as he did, he got IR'd.  Verstile player with good hands, very physical H-back type IMO.  Slower version of Q.

18 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

It depends on certain way drafts pan out

By "legitimately competitive," I mean for a Super Bowl. 

The 9-7, 10-6 crap need not apply.

Division titles and home playoff games.

And that ain't happenin' until 2020 at the earliest.

41 minutes ago, Sarge4Tide said:

I have us cutting loose Revis and Brandon Marshall - I suppose both could be back.  Have David Harris coming back, but he could be gone. Also have both Richardson and Wilkerson coming back in the DL

By my count we need to fill 12 positions this offseason

• QB (1) PRIORITY 1
  • RB (1)
  • FB (1)
  • WR (1)
  • TE (1)
  • OL (2)
  • LB (1)
  • CB (3) PRIORITY 1A
  • S (1)

If he cuts/trades Marshall (or Decker, if he's not going to be 100%) I think he'll stick with what he's got. They have 6 WRs without one of them heading into camp, so unless there's someone in the draft they just can't pass on, I think he'll go with what they have. 

Also I think he'll roll with what they've got at RB other than an UDFA or late rounder since he's locked the team into Forte/Powell at about $10m between them for 2017.

Other than that, I'm in agreement with what you say and then some:

1. QB1 (duh)
  2. QB2 (unless anyone thinks both Petty and Hackenberg have earned guaranteed roster spots)
  3. FB
  4. TE1
  5. LT (he won't exercise y2 option for Clady at $10m; Ijalana is a FA)
  6. C (if the $9m Mangold is released/traded; Wesley Johnson is a FA)
  7. RG (Winters is a FA)
  8. RT* (maybe. More on that below)
  9. pass rushing OLB
  10. ILB (they'll likely keep the $6.5m Harris but should've already replaced him by now)
  11. CB1
  12. CB2 **
  13. NB (Skrine stinks and isn't worth another $6m, though I think he returns)
  14. FS*** (I think he'll cut the Gilchrist rather than pay him another $6m)
  15. SS (if he trades Pryor like I've read some predict; team could certainly use an upgrade)
  16. K (if he dumps Folk to clear his $3m. They have that other kid but a tryout isn't a lock to get the job)

* RT = Shell looked a good amount better than the guy who let Petty get knocked out in PS4. It's also looking like Petty is less durable than Chad Pennington, so there's that. I don't know if he's earned a starting job for the next season, but I'd hate to bring in an expensive FA and negate the opportunity for a cheap RT for the next 3 seasons.

** CB2 = Burris isn't a starter (or not yet, anyway). He could (should) work his way into the starting lineup by merit, so the only reason to go into the offseason banking on him starting in '17 is to treat the season as a massive tryout anyway. Then if it works out it looks brilliant, and if it doesn't, well we weren't winning anything in '17 anyhow.

*** FS = I think he'll reach middle ground with Revis. Offer him $8-9m for the season, which is still $2-3m more than Revis could make anywhere else since he's already been guaranteed $6m from the Jets. It would also serve Revis well if he really does want to continue his career: he gets paid to show the Jets (or anyone) that he's worth being paid well as a FS into his mid-30s.

47 minutes ago, slats said:

Brandon Marshall is still the best WR on the team, I want him back. I'm interested in the idea of Revis staying -after a pay cut- and moving primarily to safety. Don't care about the FB position, but I'd put a priority on TE. 

ASFJ could be the TE we need already on the roster. 

41 minutes ago, slats said:

Agree completely on Marshall.  He and Decker and Enunwa are a Top 10 WR corps if healthy.

Disagree completely on Revis.  He has no speed and won't tackle, not exactly the traits you want.  Let's not forget the high-flying teams on the schedule, they'd have a field day against an old CB converted to an old safety:

Patr|ots
Patr|ots
Chargers
Falcons
Panthers
Chiefs
Raiders
Saints

SAR I

The Jets need to fill 1 role and that will transform the whole team. In 2015, a tired old washed up QB had a career year and set Jet records with a team that 1 year later, looked lost while struggling to win 5 games .

Three major differences between 2015 and 2016 Jet seasons

The Play of the QB

The absence of the starting RB

The absence of the Starting NT

Of those 3, which 1 would you say was the biggest issue ?   

6 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Agree completely on Marshall.  He and Decker and Enunwa are a Top 10 WR corps if healthy.

Disagree completely on Revis.  He has no speed and won't tackle, not exactly the traits you want.  Let's not forget the high-flying teams on the schedule, they'd have a field day against an old CB converted to an old safety:

Patr|ots
Patr|ots
Chargers
Falcons
Panthers
Chiefs
Raiders
Saints

SAR I

I'm probably in the minority but I still think Revis could play a #3 CB role on this team... Get someone fresh to be on the top flight guys and let him handle the lesser competition. I think if he really means it that he wants to play, he can at least be average at that. 

So he can't cover Julio Jones or Sanu on a team like the Falcons, but he might be able to keep up with someone like Justin Hardy or another 3rd guy.

I'm probably being optimistic there though... The Jets should have better options. 

55 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Marshall is clearly in decline and long overdue to melt down and physically accost a teammate, but Woody is guided by whatever dumb sh*t season ticket holders say on Twitter, so I'm sure he'll be back with a renegotiated contract that keeps him here until 2020.

It literally amazes me how Jets fans are fooled by this dude.  I get it.  2015 was fun to watch.  He made some amazing catches, sh*t we havent seen since Toon.  He also dropped the most meaningful pass of the year vs. New England but we let it slide because he made Fitz look like a real Qb for a season and the offense was good.  Meanwhile, he's top 3 in drops and the worst catch ratio in the league and has proven yet again to be a divisive and terrible person to have in the locker room. 

This all gets ignored because he's says all the right things to media.  You know, a sector in society that's he's a part of and clearly wants to be his career after Football.  He's the most calculated player in the NFL when it comes to addressing the media.  Of course he says the right things all the time because that's his job.  The job he's good at.  The other job he gets paid a ton for...not so much.  Statistically he's one of the worst and now he's destroyed another locker room, admittedly. 

But lets keep him around because that's the type of player you want to help a sh*tty young QB on a terrible Football team. 

Just now, DMan77 said:

I'm probably in the minority but I still think Revis could play a #3 CB role on this team... Get someone fresh to be on the top flight guys and let him handle the lesser competition. I think if he really means it that he wants to play, he can at least be average at that. 

So he can't cover Julio Jones or Sanu on a team like the Falcons, but he might be able to keep up with someone like Justin Hardy or another 3rd guy.

I'm probably being optimistic there though... The Jets should have better options. 

I think that would last up to the point where 1 guy ahead of him has a bad game, after which Bowles would re-promote Revis for the balance of the season. I think a season-long tryout at FS would have a better chance of success if he re-finds the will to tackle. He was playing several yards off his man anyhow, even when playing man. 

I wouldn't bet anything on any player that doesn't give the requisite effort, but he should still have enough talent for the switch if the will ever returned.

I get the hate for Marshall.  I kind of share it, but I can see reasons to keep him around.  He is the kind of WR that is a horse.  You can force the ball to him and depending on the offense or who is at QB, that may be something we want. A guy Geno could have used someone to lean on.  Even if that trust is misguided.  People here are touting Mike Glennon.  Take a look how Glennon rode Vincent Jackson to see how that kind of WR can help a developing QB.  Of course after Marshall spit up 10 out of 11 for Petty, he may not even be good for that.

1 hour ago, slats said:

Agreed as to Marshall.

Revis has for 2 seasons shied away from contact. Don't think that works for a safety, but being his cap number is killer, might be stuck using him as a FS/nickel back since it's a sunk cost. 

12 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I think that would last up to the point where 1 guy ahead of him has a bad game, after which Bowles would re-promote Revis for the balance of the season. I think a season-long tryout at FS would have a better chance of success if he re-finds the will to tackle. He was playing several yards off his man anyhow, even when playing man. 

I wouldn't bet anything on any player that doesn't give the requisite effort, but he should still have enough talent for the switch if the will ever returned.

Ya you're right... That's the part that really hurts any analysis of his skill set that we try to do... Watching him hardly jog after guys was so cringe worthy... I feel like he has the skills, talent and the wily veteran instincts that he could still play adequately at FS or non-1 CB spot, and even come up with a vintage play every now and then... But does he feel like it? Or is he just going through the motions? Doesn't seem like he's interested in taking any kind of leadership role either... It's going to be very interesting to see if he's on this team, and where he fits in. 

Just now, Bugg said:

Agreed as to Marshall.

Revis has for 2 seasons shied away from contact. Don't think that works for a safety, but being his cap number is killer, might be stuck using him as a FS/nickel back since it's a sunk cost. 

Since the $6m is sunk cost (no matter where he ends up), anyone else would have to outbid the Jets by $6m to outbid us. If we offered him $8m it's "only" $2m more than our sunk cost, but $7m more than he's likely to be offered from anyone else.

Unless someone was willing to offer him >$6m, why would they bother bidding more than $1m? To Revis, it's the same money, whether it's $1m from his new team and $5m from the Jets, or $5.5m from his new team and $500k from the Jets.

We offer $8m and someone else would have to offer up >$8m (with no Jets offset anymore), and I see about zero teams interested in that after his 2016 performance.

Just now, Sperm Edwards said:

Since the $6m is sunk cost (no matter where he ends up), anyone else would have to outbid the Jets by $6m to outbid us. If we offered him $8m it's "only" $2m more than our sunk cost, but $7m more than he's likely to be offered from anyone else.

Unless someone was willing to offer him >$6m, why would they bother bidding more than $1m? To Revis, it's the same money, whether it's $1m from his new team and $5m from the Jets, or $5.5m from his new team and $500k from the Jets.

We offer $8m and someone else would have to offer up >$8m (with no Jets offset anymore), and I see about zero teams interested in that after his 2016 performance.

True. 

Archived