Newsday: Jets’ new DBs coach Dennard Wilson believes Darrelle Revis can pull safety switch

C Mart

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
34 minutes ago, Big Blocker said:

A good safety is a good tackler.

Revis is not a good tackler anymore.

So how is he going to be a good safety?

The idea is that he has (or had) good instincts and football smarts so he'd be better suited facing the QB rather than worry about his own ability to stick with his man (let alone recover if juked a bit). 

If he put forth that crappy effort with a $15m (or at least a $9m) additional payday in doubt, who seriously expects the effort to do a 180 after grudgingly agreeing to a pay cut he interprets as being insulting?

1 hour ago, thadude said:

Revis was not healthy last year but he has lost a step that was noticeable even in 2015.

Charles Woodson and Rod Woodson both extended their careers by 5 years moving to Safety.  Revis should do it to what are people afraid he won't be as good as Eric Smith?!?!

Eric Smith could at least lay the wood. Revis isn't going to tackle. He isn't going to take good angles. It's really that simple.. he would be a huge liability. If he won't tackle now, what makes you think he'll do good as the last means of defense if a player is breaking off a big run. As you said earlier "Wow really intelligent"....jeez. Just because the guy is Revis doesn't mean he can do anything. Safety for Revis is disaster.

1 hour ago, thadude said:

Of course Revis can switch to Safety.  He's definitely skilled enough and he'd be our first FS who could actually cover someone since Kerry Rhodes

Just what did you see last year that indicated he could cover anyone.  He was our worst corner.  He no longer wants to tackle anyone and now we are going to ask him to match up vs Te's. RB's and alike.

He was awful last year, not an off year, not up to his standards but pure awful

If we save anything on the cap by cutting Revis, then Revis must be cut.

If he wants to play Safety, fine, let him sign a new deal as a Safety, for an appropriate salary for a converting CB whose never played Safety before and is (frankly) a sh*t tackler at this age.

If Revis underplayed 2016 due to health and/or fear of injury then it's hard to imagine him taking a pay cut to an additional $2-3MM for a position that relies bigly on tackling. He can take his $6MM guaranteed salary for 2017 after getting cut and either retire or go to another team and take $2-3MM (or more) to play CB elsewhere. 

14 minutes ago, sourceworx said:

If he agrees to reduce his salary to $6 million (what he'll count against the cap if he's cut), then I'm fine with keeping him.

Otherwise **** off, Darrelle.

The chances of that happening, with the Jets, is zero. The question is how much above that (e.g. $1m) is he worth?

Prediction: they settle on dropping him to $12m (what he made in NE) or $10m (what his current contract calls for in its final 2 yrs). Also a horrible possibility of new 2018 guarantees up to the amount of his 2017 pay cut:

• e.g. Drops from $15m to $12m this year, then next year is still a further drop to $10m but now $3m of it is guaranteed. So if he's cut after 2017, and then retires, he still effectively got paid $15m for 2017 (just that $3m of it is a deferred pmt).
  • Or a drop to $10m, with the same $3m guar for 2018, making his pay cut only $2m.

Even the lesser of those scenarios would be mega-stupid, but it wouldn't surprise me either. 

17 minutes ago, rex-n-effect said:

If Revis underplayed 2016 due to health and/or fear of injury then it's hard to imagine him taking a pay cut to an additional $2-3MM for a position that relies bigly on tackling. He can take his $6MM guaranteed salary for 2017 after getting cut and either retire or go to another team and take $2-3MM (or more) to play CB elsewhere. 

No.

If he takes that lesser amount from someone else, for 2017, then he's effectively playing for them for free since there's an offset. If he makes $2M from his new team, then the Jets pay him $4M not $6M. You see Revis playing "for free"? I don't, and doubt you do either.

Expect a settlement in the 10-12 range, plus maybe offset by guaranteeing 2-3 of 2018's 10. They rationalize it by saying it's really only $4-6M 

Then he can "retire as a Jet" and, in doing so, make 8 Jets fans bigly-happy.

18 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

You negative nellies are harshing my buzz.  We just hired a coach who said the right thing.  Stop whining about the meaning of what he said and start appreciating that our new coach properly handled the media.  That certainly has not always been the case around here. 

Attica! Attica!

19 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

You negative nellies are harshing my buzz.  We just hired a coach who said the right thing.  Stop whining about the meaning of what he said and start appreciating that our new coach properly handled the media.  That certainly has not always been the case around here. 

He didn't say the right thing, he said absolutely the wrong thing.

The right thing is "we, as a team, will evaluate all players and all positions, and the best players playing their best will make this team and will play.  Beyond that, any comment would be premature."

Some lame fluff about "Revis-my-Hero-can-do-anything-even-Safety-for-100mil-a-year" is exactly what we DON'T need.  A 16 million a year converted Safety who can't f'ing tackle or (based on 16') cover anyone?  No thanks.

12 minutes ago, Warfish said:

He didn't say the right thing, he said absolutely the wrong thing.

The right thing is "we, as a team, will evaluate all players and all positions, and the best players playing their best will make this team and will play.  Beyond that, any comment would be premature."

Some lame fluff about "Revis-my-Hero-can-do-anything-even-Safety-for-100mil-a-year" is exactly what we DON'T need.  A 16 million a year converted Safety who can't f'ing tackle or (based on 16') cover anyone?  No thanks.

Word.

14 hours ago, BigRy56 said:

Hard pass.

It's not even the missed tackles or loss in quickness this season. It's the fact that he looked like he couldn't give a **** less about how bad he was hurting the team and then said that he was an all-time great that deserves to be treated with class.

He's officially more harm then good at this point and the Jets can take his 9mil and flip it into a much better, younger cornerback who cares about winning.

I was going to post my opinion.  But you already did.  ^THIS

3 hours ago, thadude said:

Agree.  All the folks saying screw Revis cut him are ignoring the $6 million in dead cap room next season

I'd rather the team forfeit the $6 million in cap space than start a liability at safety.  Geez... we already have one liability at safety and now we are considering adding another... particularly one who doesn't give a crap about the team or winning, as Revis so clearly displayed.    

1 hour ago, sourceworx said:

If he agrees to reduce his salary to $6 million (what he'll count against the cap if he's cut), then I'm fine with keeping him.

Otherwise **** off, Darrelle.

I'm not.  He's a major liability out there.  He flat out sucks.  Slow, refuses to give an effort in tackling, even takes wrong angles.  He isn't even a pale shadow of what he once was.  Better to swallow the $6 million and part ways.  Like Pryor, Revis will cost us many plays, give up needless 1st downs to the opponents and ultimately cost us games.

His comments about Bowles having a good scheme and the jets playing tough and reckless are more concerning.  i know i know, what is he supposed to say but Bowles scheme sucked last year and the Jets were anything but playing hard, reckless and tough.  The were good vs the run the 1st 2/3 of the season anyway.

6 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

His comments about Bowles having a good scheme and the jets playing tough and reckless are more concerning.  i know i know, what is he supposed to say but Bowles scheme sucked last year and the Jets were anything but playing hard, reckless and tough.  The were good vs the run the 1st 2/3 of the season anyway.

Scheme can only account for so much, the defense quit 3 games in... and most of the players sucked to begin with. That's the reality we need addressed. 

2 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Scheme can only account for so much, the defense quit 3 games in... and most of the players sucked to begin with. That's the reality we need addressed. 

I don't disagree with that.  His scheme though was terrible, constantly putting players in positions they are not suited for.

5 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I don't disagree with that.  His scheme though was terrible, constantly putting players in positions they are not suited for.

Is that scheme or just mismanaging personnel. Meaning, would the scheme be fine if he giving players jobs more suited to their ability? Semantics, probably. 

42 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Is that scheme or just mismanaging personnel. Meaning, would the scheme be fine if he giving players jobs more suited to their ability? Semantics, probably. 

Well from what I see the scheme is 'we have no base 3-4 or 4-3 we are going to be a hybrid' 

The GM drafted 3-4 olbs in mauldin and Jenkins, he drafted lee who should be a 3-4 ILB that's what these guys are best suited to play.

We end up with A down linemnan in Shelrich playing olb and olb and garbage like that.

We play Skrine at outside CB after an injury where he just sucks, his only good spot is slot CB.

This is why I say it is scheme.  Some of the most successful defense in the league pick a base scheme, stick to it and get players that fit.

It is far tougher to get players that fit when the coach wants to be mr hybrid, we saw it in Buffalo with rex and we are seeing it here.

3 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Well from what I see the scheme is 'we have no base 3-4 or 4-3 we are going to be a hybrid' 

The GM drafted 3-4 olbs in mauldin and Jenkins, he drafted lee who should be a 3-4 ILB that's what these guys are best suited to play.

We end up with A down linemnan in Shelrich playing olb and olb and garbage like that.

We play Skrine at outside CB after an injury where he just sucks, his only good spot is slot CB.

This is why I say it is scheme.  Some of the most successful defense in the league pick a base scheme, stick to it and get players that fit.

It is far tougher to get players that fit when the coach wants to be mr hybrid, we saw it in Buffalo with rex and we are seeing it here.

I think the issue is playing guys out here of position and guys that suck. No scheme is going to work in those circumstances.

I agree with the problems you're identifying - just questioning if "bad scheme" is an appropriate label. Doesn't matter though...

6 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

A good safety should be able to defend the pass while playing off the line of scrimmage. Since week 17 of 2015, Revis has been giving WRs 10-15 yards of cushion off the line of scrimmage, and he has subsequently played like one of the worst CBs in football. Nothing at all about his skill set from the past 17 games translates to good play as a safety. Nothing.

I agree.  In fact I agree so much  I have to wonder if the new backs coach knows what he's talking about.

6 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

The chances of that happening, with the Jets, is zero. The question is how much above that (e.g. $1m) is he worth?

Prediction: they settle on dropping him to $12m (what he made in NE) or $10m (what his current contract calls for in its final 2 yrs). Also a horrible possibility of new 2018 guarantees up to the amount of his 2017 pay cut:

• e.g. Drops from $15m to $12m this year, then next year is still a further drop to $10m but now $3m of it is guaranteed. So if he's cut after 2017, and then retires, he still effectively got paid $15m for 2017 (just that $3m of it is a deferred pmt).
  • Or a drop to $10m, with the same $3m guar for 2018, making his pay cut only $2m.

Even the lesser of those scenarios would be mega-stupid, but it wouldn't surprise me either. 

Yeah I could see this FO reaching a deal for a lower number but make it guaranteed for two years.  Yikes.

1 hour ago, Big Blocker said:

Yeah I could see this FO reaching a deal for a lower number but make it guaranteed for two years.  Yikes.

Doubt they'd guarantee 2 years, but I could see them guaranteeing a few million of it. Just enough to give the Jets second thoughts as to cutting him outright (which is what's occurring right now).

6 hours ago, Beerfish said:

We should all get a good chuckle out of this coaching staff of former player cronies during their last year.  The Patriots seem to have the right idea with graduates of rigorous colleges who played Division 3.  Coaching is about brains, and we look lacking in that department today.

Woody will call in a nuke from London next January, and we will start over with a potentially top pick and new QB for our new coaches.   The plan this year  is to dazzle the rest of the league with our coaching ineptitude while we seize a top 3 pick in the 2018 Draft.   

21 hours ago, fltflo said:

Sorry folks but this fan has seen more then enough of number 24.

His mind may be willing but his body was shouting no more last season. Let him go play for some other team where he can whiff tackles as much as he did last season. The guy just does not want to hit or tackle anymore. Not great attributes for an NFL safety.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

exactly

for what safeties make, and have to do, putting the $16,000,000 man back there would be a colossal blunder

Archived