Rapoport: Jets Showing Interest in Hoyer (All things Hoyer)

CrazyCarl40

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

As long as he is cheap and is not named the starter right away, I'm perfectly fine with this.

Chance...Which is what Bowles said Hack & Petty would have this season..Chance to compete for the #1...

Adam Caplan‏ @caplannfl 

Veteran QB Brian Hoyer is looking for a team that will offer him a chance to start. 1-2 teams are offering him that chance as of now.

4-5 others are interested in him as a backup.

Just now, CaliforniaJet said:

Because the team loves  scrub veterans at QB. Just go with the young guys, enough with these scubs taking reps from the kids.  If they suck they suck, but lets find out already.

What do we need a veteran scrub like Hoyer for? What knowledge does he have that would help  this team, because? Skills he has none.

You  need a veteran backup QB. Because you need someone who can come in cold and actually play a bit

2 minutes ago, KRL said:

Bringing him in on a one year $3 million deal, drafting a QB and having a four way battle in 

camp isn't the worst thing in the world.  Having a QB depth chart of:

Hoyer

Watson / Mahomes

Hackenberg

Going into the season wouldn't be awful

there is always the possibility that the jets get shut out of all these vets.  i doubt they want romo.  what if glennon goes to the bears and hoyer goes to SF?  you have to wonder if their 'worst case' scenario is they are forced to keep geno for another year.

Just now, C Mart said:

Chance...Which is what Bowles said Hack & Petty would have this season..Chance to compete for the #1...

Adam Caplan‏ @caplannfl 

Veteran QB Brian Hoyer is looking for a team that will offer him a chance to start. 1-2 teams are offering him that chance as of now.

4-5 others are interested in him as a backup.

the jets are probably one of those 2 teams.  

Just now, Matt39 said:

If they sign Hoyer he's going to start.

Bowles is a stubborn stuck in the 1980's coach. refused to draft Lynch last year because he didnt want to play a rookie.

ROFLMAO. You think the Jets didn't draft Lynch because Bowles didn't want to play a rookie?

Had nothing to do with the fact that the Jets graded Lynch poorly and looking at how he played this year, they might have been right on that?

7 minutes ago, varjet said:

Keep drafting QBs until they find one.   As with the Patriots, they can trade Jimmy G for basically a better pick than they used to draft him, and he was a backup that won them games.  And he was cheaper than a veteran backup.  That is a brilliant strategy.   If a good QB is available, they should take him.

Based on this logic I'm guessing we can get multiple #1's for Geno

1 minute ago, Matt39 said:

If they sign Hoyer he's going to start.

Bowles is a stubborn stuck in the 1980's coach. refused to draft Lynch last year because he didnt want to play a rookie.

Paxton Lynch didn't start for the Broncos last year (outside of an injury) and it looks like the Broncos are going after Romo this year. So it may have been a good move to pass on Lynch. 

With that said, Bowles is a dope and will play the best QB on the roster. We just need to hope that one of the kids emerges. I am sure Macc will be on top of that. 

Just now, UnitedWhofans said:

ROFLMAO. You think the Jets didn't draft Lynch because Bowles didn't want to play a rookie?

Had nothing to do with the fact that the Jets graded Lynch poorly and looking at how he played this year, they might have been right on that?

I mean Bowles has been on the record saying he doesnt like rookie QB's

You  need a veteran backup QB. Because you need someone who can come in cold and actually play a bit

No you don't. You dont need a scrub veteran for that. Hoyer gives you the same chance as Petty or Hack or anyone else, you dont need someone thats been in the league for ten years to come in and stink it up. What he does is take reps from them. 

Just now, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Paxton Lynch didn't start for the Broncos last year (outside of an injury) and it looks like the Broncos are going after Romo this year. So it may have been a good move to pass on Lynch. 

With that said, Bowles is a dope and will play the best QB on the roster. We just need to hope that one of the kids emerges. I am sure Macc will be on top of that. 

Trying to compete with Brian Hoyer with this roster couldnt be a bigger waste of time. if Hoyer signs with the Jets he's going to start.

No you don't. You dont need a scrub veteran for that. Hoyer gives you the same chance as Petty or Hack or anyone else, you dont need someone thats been in the league for ten years to come in and stink it up. What he does is take reps from them. 

Yes you do. Look at Connor Cook for the Raiders last year in the playoff game. That's why you need a guy

Just now, Matt39 said:

I mean Bowles has been on the record saying he doesnt like rookie QB's

When did he say this? In context.

9 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Why? If Hackenberg and Petty can't beat Brian Hoyer in a QB competition, that tells you a TON about Petty and Hackenberg.

Agreed. But what is the point in playing Hoyer? Win 5 or 6 games? I just don't see the point in making him a starter.

I understood why Fitz was given the job. I don't understand why they would go with Hoyer as a starter. Like I said, as a backup I'm totally fine with it.

9 minutes ago, KRL said:

Bringing him in on a one year $3 million deal, drafting a QB and having a four way battle in 

camp isn't the worst thing in the world.  Having a QB depth chart of:

Hoyer

Watson / Mahomes

Hackenberg

Going into the season wouldn't be awful

This is about the only way I'd be okay with Hoyer coming in, better be for some chump change.

Just now, ScarletKnight89 said:

Agreed. But what is the point in playing Hoyer? Win 5 or 6 games? I just don't see the point in making him a starter.

I understood why Fitz was given the job. I don't understand why they would go with Hoyer as a starter. Like I said, as a backup I'm totally fine with it.

Then don't make him the starter immediately. Say the competition is open. Period.

On one hand... a cheap vet QB and the potential for a true QB competition in camp where Mac's draft picks might have a legitimate chance to start and take a step forward.

On the other hand, Bowles on August 24th 2017 'Hoyer gives up the best chance to win'

FML

Just now, ScarletKnight89 said:

How often do you see an NFL team going into camp with 2 or 3 unproven  QBs? Even the Browns, who were in full tank mode started the season with RG3. 

Basically, the plan appears to be for one of the kids to emerge as a franchise QB or for Hoyer to start and lead us to a 2-14 record and Sam Darnold. I am cool with that plan. 

Yes you do. Look at Connor Cook for the Raiders last year in the playoff game. That's why you need a guy

So you think Hoyer, would've done differently than what Connor Cook did? You think Hoyer wouldve won that game? LOL Just because you have played and sucked for 10 or more years, it doesnt make you any better than someone who is sucking in his first year. 

Regardless of the QB, if they're actually trying to win, improve, or develop a QB, can't go into the season with Decker as the #1.

He's not good enough and he'll probably miss at least 8 games.

Perhaps Hoyer is brought in just to take a beating while we lose for 2018.

4 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

If Hoyer is going to start, then Petty and Hackenberg couldnt beat him in a competition. And that says a lot..

It will say a lot because Hoyer is significantly better than both those clowns

And I think Hoyer is hot-ass garbage

2 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

And do you actually think we are going to be in some sort of playoff run next year, and somehow Hoyer is going to come in and save us back up? 

So you think Hoyer, would've done differently than what Connor Cook did? You think Hoyer wouldve won that game? LOL Just because you have played and sucked for 10 or more years, it doesnt make you any better than someone who is sucking in his first year. 

I don't think he would have won, but I'm pretty sure he would have played better than Connor Cook did. 

And in fact the fact that you have played and sucked for 10 or more years DOES make you better. Experience in the NFL is always preferable to having none. Plus if you have lasted that long while sucking, what does that tell you?

Just now, Mike135 said:

Regardless of the QB, if they're actually trying to win, improve, or develop a QB, can't go into the season with Decker as the #1.

He's not good enough and he'll probably miss at least 8 games.

Perhaps Hoyer is brought in just to take a beating while we lose for 2018.

Perhaps this franchise has no clue?

And do you actually think we are going to be in some sort of playoff run next year, and somehow Hoyer is going to come in and save us back up? 

That was a specific example. A veteran QB can come in cold off the bench and not be embarrassing, or look like a deer in the headlights.

Archived