Rapoport: Jets Showing Interest in Hoyer (All things Hoyer)

CrazyCarl40

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

How often do you see an NFL team going into camp with 2 or 3 unproven  QBs? Even the Browns, who were in full tank mode started the season with RG3. 

Basically, the plan appears to be for one of the kids to emerge as a franchise QB or for Hoyer to start and lead us to a 2-14 record and Sam Darnold. I am cool with that plan. 

My worry is that if Hoyer starts we won't be a 2-14 team though. I think we would need Hack or Petty to start in order to do that. We'd be a 6 or 7 win team, maybe even a little better depending on how FA and this draft plays out. That accomplishes nothing and we miss out on a potential franchise QB.

Like I said, I'm not against signing him as a backup. But the problem is that he's going to beat out the guys we have most likely, but still not good enough to get us to the playoffs. So I don't understand the point in that type of player right now for this team.

But I guess you can't sign a guy and tell him that he can never start a game during the season regardless of how bad Petty or Hack play. So it might be best to just avoid a player like him altogether.

1 minute ago, UnitedWhofans said:

I don't think he would have won, but I'm pretty sure he would have played better than Connor Cook did. 

And in fact the fact that you have played and sucked for 10 or more years DOES make you better. Experience in the NFL is always preferable to having none. Plus if you have lasted that long while sucking, what does that tell you?

Actually the fact that Hoyer has played 10 years means that you should know exactly what he is, a total scrub that would've lost that playoff game for sure. 

Anyways, it doesn't matter. We are not making a playoff run next year and we have cut almost all our vets. If one of the young guys gets hurt or sucks it up, then you put in the next young guy. You dont bring in Hoyer. 

Just now, CaliforniaJet said:

Actually the fact that Hoyer has played 10 years means that you should know exactly what he is, a total scrub that would've lost that playoff game for sure. 

Anyways, it doesn't matter. We are not making a playoff run next year and we have cut almost all our vets. If one of the young guys gets hurt or sucks it up, then you put in the next young guy. You dont bring in Hoyer. 

Exactly. And he still gets jobs

1 minute ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

My worry is that if Hoyer starts we won't be a 2-14 team though. I think we would need Hack or Petty to start in order to do that. We'd be a 6 or 7 win team, maybe even a little better depending on how FA and this draft plays out. That accomplishes nothing and we miss out on a potential franchise QB.

Like I said, I'm not against signing him as a backup. But the problem is that he's going to beat out the guys we have most likely, but still not good enough to get us to the playoffs. So I don't understand the point in that type of player right now for this team.

But I guess you can't sign a guy and tell him that he can never start a game during the season regardless of how bad Petty or Hack play. So it might be best to just avoid a player like him altogether.

And there is the assumption that a ton of people are making. Why? Based off of last year?

31 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Why? If Hackenberg and Petty can't beat Brian Hoyer in a QB competition, that tells you a TON about Petty and Hackenberg.

I am a fan of Petty but neither one of them are as good as Hoyer and it's not even close.  We can't go with just Petty and Hack because it stunts the development of our WRs and our TBD OTs.

Just now, UnitedWhofans said:

And there is the assumption that a ton of people are making. Why? Based off of last year?

All I can go on is what I've heard. I don't get to watch the guys practice. I didn't mind the Hack pick at all, but everything coming back on him so far has been completely negative. What else am I suppose to believe in regards to him right now? It's very hard to believe he could beat out an average to slightly below average NFL starter like Hoyer at this point.

Petty? Maybe. I personally didn't think he looked terrible last season on a bad team. But still, again, everything you hear about him is that he's a backup at best in this league. I've seen Hoyer play well. At this point, I have to believe he's better than both guys we have without having any real potential to be a long term solution for us.

1 minute ago, Pcola said:

I am a fan of Petty but neither one of them are as good as Hoyer and it's not even close.  We can't go with just Petty and Hack because it stunts the development of our WRs and our TBD OTs.

Hoyer is as bad as Geno.  If putrid and Wackinberg aren't as good as him even at this point they really deserve to be cut

8 minutes ago, KRL said:

Hoyer is not great but he actually made the playoffs (granted he was awful) which a bearded QB couldn't do 

Teams make playoffs, not QBs. 

Look what Hoyer did with the Texans when the did make the playoffs. He went full Fitz.

I am going to retract my prior comment.  

Isn't it better for the Jets to draft another QB and let Petty, Hack and Draft Pick figure it out?  This way they are building for the future and either they figure it out show promise or they don't and the Jets lose most of their games and then get a chance for Rosen or Darnold.

That does require using a draft pick, so maybe they find someone to play along with P and H but is really not any good.

Hoyer is actually too good for the job required.

You know, it may be politically unpopular, but Fitz is actually perfect for this job-he can stand and throw, he is by no means a long-term option, he is awful, but he is also a good guy, mentor and teammate.

48 minutes ago, CaliforniaJet said:

This would be the Jets thing to do, the next Fitz. 

But a million times dumber and no 10-win season 

37 minutes ago, KRL said:

Bringing him in on a one year $3 million deal, drafting a QB and having a four way battle in 

camp isn't the worst thing in the world.  Having a QB depth chart of:

Hoyer

Watson / Mahomes

Hackenberg

Going into the season wouldn't be awful

It would be beyond awful. How does a 4-way suckathon develop a single QB properly?

It doesn't. Garbage in, garbage out. Doesn't anybody ever learn?

F*CK F*CK F*CK F*CK F*CK F*CK F*CK F*CK F*CK F*CK F*CK F*CK F*CK F*CK F*CK F*CK F*CK F*CK F*CK F*CK F*CK F*CK F*CK F*CK F*CK F*CK F*CK F*CK F*CK F*CK F*CK F*CK F*CK F*CK F*CK F*CK F*CK F*CK F*CK F*CK F*CK F*CK F*CK F*CK F*CK F*CK F*CK F*CK F*CK F*CK F*CK F*CK F*CK F*CK F*CK F*CK F*CK F*CK F*CK F*CK F*CK F*CK F*CK F*CK F*CK F*CK F*CK F*CK F*CK F*CK F*CK F*CK F*CK F*CK F*CK F*CK F*CK F*CK F*CK F*CK F*CK F*CK F*CK F*CK F*CK F*CK F*CK F*CK F*CK F*CK F*CK F*CK F*CK F*CK F*CK F*CK

5 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

See, if you don't think Bryce Petty and/or Hackenberg can beat a Hoyer or a Geno in a QB competition, then there's no need to play them because you already know the answer to the question

Just because Hoyer is better than them right now doesn't mean that one of them won't end up better in the long run. 

I don't want the Jets to sign Hoyer because I think next year should be a complete tank year and I think people also aren't giving him enough credit for what he did last year with the Bears. In the 4 games that he started (and finished) Hoyer completed 69% of his passes, averaged 329 yards had 6 TDs and 0 Ints. 

Cutler with the same group avg'd 59%, 211 yards, 4 TD's, 5 INT's and some on this board actually want him here. 

Just now, JetFreak89 said:

Just because Hoyer is better than them right now doesn't mean that one of them won't end up better in the long run. 

I don't want the Jets to sign Hoyer because I think next year should be a complete tank year and I think people also aren't giving him enough credit for what he did last year with the Bears. In the 4 games that he started (and finished) Hoyer completed 69% of his passes, averaged 329 yards had 6 TDs and 0 Ints. 

Cutler with the same group avg'd 59%, 211 yards, 4 TD's, 5 INT's and some on this board actually want him here. 

And yet they only won 1 game in which he started. So that didn't hurt the Bears tanking chances.

Archived