Rapoport: Jets Showing Interest in Hoyer (All things Hoyer)

CrazyCarl40

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If they were to sign Hoyer that's fine with me. But I want Hoyer as the backup to Hack or Petty.

Don't try to sell me on Brian Hoyer as the week 1 starter. There is no point. He's the type of guy that can win you enough games to knock you out of the top 5 for the draft. No point in playing Brian Hoyer and going 5-11/6-10.

Just now, ScarletKnight89 said:

If they were to sign Hoyer that's fine with me. But I want Hoyer as the backup to Hack or Petty.

Don't try to sell me on Brian Hoyer as the week 1 starter. There is no point. He's the type of guy that can win you enough games to knock you out of the top 5 for the draft. No point in playing Brian Hoyer and going 5-11/6-10.

Don't name him the starter immediately and have a QB competition. 

2 minutes ago, Joe Jets fan said:

This means they are going with the kids and he is the vet back up.  Perfect

I agree.  This would be a great strategy and allow them to spend on other things now.

1 minute ago, CaliforniaJet said:

This would be the Jets thing to do, the next Fitz. 

We must remember that when the Jets traded for Fitz he was under a 2 year contract for about 4mm/year.   He was a veteran backup.  When it was apparent that Fitz was going to be a starter, Fitz and his agent wanted starter money, and they fought about it.  We know how that ended.

Hoyer may think he is going to be a starter and want more money.  The fair deal would be a backup base with a bonus for games started.

Just now, UnitedWhofans said:

Don't name him the starter immediately and have a QB competition. 

I don't even want Hoyer involved in a QB competition. I know where the season is going if he's the guy. Use Hoyer in mop up duty if the games get out of hand. Let Petty and Hack have the QB competition. The problem is, Hoyer could very well outplay both of them.

If Hoyer is going to be our answer at QB, we might as well play the kids and worst case we end up with a top pick and a shot at Darnold.

4 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

Bowles will say with that stupid look on his face "Hoyer is the starter because he gives us the best chance to win"

1 minute ago, Adoni Beast said:

Id like it cause for his asking price its fair value and would make our tank complete. But he'll go to SF most likely, if they cant turn a trade for Cousins.

Is McCown available if Hoyer is not?  That to me is the right approach.  

Trade down, sign a CB, and draft a QB.  Keep drafting QBs until they find one.   As with the Patriots, they can trade Jimmy G for basically a better pick than they used to draft him, and he was a backup that won them games.  And he was cheaper than a veteran backup.  That is a brilliant strategy.   If a good QB is available, they should take him.

Just now, ScarletKnight89 said:

I don't even want Hoyer involved in a QB competition. I know where the season is going if he's the guy. Use Hoyer in mop up duty if the games get out of hand. Let Petty and Hack have the QB competition. The problem is, Hoyer could very well outplay both of them.

If Hoyer is going to be our answer at QB, we might as well play the kids and worst case we end up with a top pick and a shot at Darnold.

Why? If Hackenberg and Petty can't beat Brian Hoyer in a QB competition, that tells you a TON about Petty and Hackenberg.

Bringing him in on a one year $3 million deal, drafting a QB and having a four way battle in 

camp isn't the worst thing in the world.  Having a QB depth chart of:

Hoyer

Watson / Mahomes

Hackenberg

Going into the season wouldn't be awful

8 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Why do you say that?

Because the team loves  scrub veterans at QB. Just go with the young guys, enough with these scubs taking reps from the kids.  If they suck they suck, but lets find out already.

What do we need a veteran scrub like Hoyer for? What knowledge does he have that would help  this team? Skills he has none.

4 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

I think that is the plan, but you generally want to have at least 1 veteran QB on your roster. Hoyer makes far more sense than a Tyrod Taylor IMO. 

If they sign Hoyer he's going to start.

Bowles is a stubborn stuck in the 1980's coach. refused to draft Lynch last year because he didnt want to play a rookie.

2 minutes ago, KRL said:

Bringing him in on a one year $3 million deal, drafting a QB and having a four way battle in 

camp isn't the worst thing in the world.  Having a QB depth chart of:

Hoyer

Watson / Mahomes

Hackenberg

Going into the season wouldn't be awful

Camp is glorified OTA's these days. There arent enough reps for two QB's let alone 4.

Archived