Rapoport: Jets Showing Interest in Hoyer (All things Hoyer)

CrazyCarl40

This is the QB the Jets should've signed last year. Bring him in on the cheap for a two or three year deal. I'm all in favor. Then I'll root for Hack or Petty to win the starting job over him. 

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply
36 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

I don't see why people instantly assume that if Hoyer is brought in, he's going to get he reps and the starting job. Fitz wasn't handed the starting job immediately in 2015

Because the team does not like Petty and Hackenbug is pure garbage.

I have no problem signing him. Esp if the team feels that Hack or Petty is going to be their starter. It's good insurance. But just to remind some of you that just two years ago Hoyer laid a big time egg in a playoff game for the Texans vs KC. http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000620036/article/brian-hoyer-sinks-texans-in-300-loss-to-chiefs A lot worse than Fitz did against the Bills on week 17 a year ago. If this is a giveaway season then you start either Hack or Petty probably Hack. But I'm for competing in 2017 so I sign TT if available. If not Hoyer is a possibility. But imo Fitz is better than he is. So for some of you if we do it get ready to be pissed off, 

Did anyone really think this wasn't the likeliest scenario?  Backing up the brinks for Mike ******* Glennon would be akin to Macc admitting he has no idea what he's doing.

Still think Geno, Petty, Hack and a draft pick is the best play this year.  In that scenario Petty will get the ax and we can hope Hack or the pick are ready for '18.  Geno will cost less than Hoyer and likely play just as well.

So, lets say we get Hoyer. If a QB in draft drops to us at 6 i.e Watson, Trubinsky, etc that we feel good about I assume you take him. Then out of Hoyer, Petty, and Hack one is the odd man out since as we see it is pointless to keep 4 QBs on the roster. If Petty or Hack is odd man out put him on PS squad and give him some more time. If anyone steals him then that's that. If Petty and/or Hack shows to be a good enough backup to say Watson or Trubinsky then Hoyer could be odd man out.

11 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

I have no problem signing him. Esp if the team feels that Hack or Petty is going to be their starter. It's good insurance. But just to remind some of you that just two years ago Hoyer laid a big time egg in a playoff game for the Texans vs KC. http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000620036/article/brian-hoyer-sinks-texans-in-300-loss-to-chiefs A lot worse than Fitz did against the Bills on week 17 a year ago. If this is a giveaway season then you start either Hack or Petty probably Hack. But I'm for competing in 2017 so I sign TT if available. If not Hoyer is a possibility. But imo Fitz is better than he is. So for some of you if we do it get ready to be pissed off, 

Fitz burned his bridge here by demanding that stupid contract, and consequentially playing like crap. I haven't heard of a single team expressing any interest in him, and rightly so. 

I know many still say Geno over say a Hoyer, but Geno being the exp. QB with younglings under him probably isn't the best guy to set an example on and off the field. Off the field he doesn't have a good attitude and on the field he makes bad decsions that young QBs may also pick up on. Also, how can you help guide anyone when you can't get the job done?.

6 minutes ago, Pac said:

Did anyone really think this wasn't the likeliest scenario?  Backing up the brinks for Mike ******* Glennon would be akin to Macc admitting he has no idea what he's doing.

Still think Geno, Petty, Hack and a draft pick is the best play this year.  In that scenario Petty will get the ax and we can hope Hack or the pick are ready for '18.  Geno will cost less than Hoyer and likely play just as well.

The problem with Geno is that he is bad enough, both professionally and personally, to never want him to be your long-term QB, but he is good enough to win 8 games and keep you from getting a long-term QB solution.

6 minutes ago, Pac said:

The Jets can't bring back Geno. That would be a public relations disaster. And Geno should only have an interest in returning to the Jets -where he knows for sure the majority of fans hate his guts- if he can't land a job anywhere else. Which might be a possibility, but I think he'll latch on somewhere as a backup. 

3 minutes ago, slats said:

The Jets can't bring back Geno. That would be a public relations disaster. And Geno should only have an interest in returning to the Jets -where he knows for sure the majority of fans hate his guts- if he can't land a job anywhere else. Which might be a possibility, but I think he'll latch on somewhere as a backup. 

The other issue with Geno is that he will not be available to OTAs and maybe not all of preseason.

Correct me if I am wrong, but players who miss preseason and even OTAs, particularly skill position players, have a tough time being effective during the season.  They need to learning process and physical conditioning.  So if a player is not going to be ready at least by preseason, they are better off not even playing.  That is my issue with Gilcrist, Decker and Geno (among others).  Devin Smith never got it together last year.

5 minutes ago, varjet said:

The problem with Geno is that he is bad enough, both professionally and personally, to never want him to be your long-term QB, but he is good enough to win 8 games and keep you from getting a long-term QB solution.

There's no way the Jets will go into the season with Petty, Hack and a draft pick.  Will never happen.

With that being the case you have Geno and Hoyer as the most "accomplished" options that won't fetch a ridiculous price.  I think either one of them will win 8 games with this team.  People seem to forget how truly awful Fitzpatrick was.  He was a complete and total disaster and we still won 5 games.  It's not going to be worse this year no matter who they put under center.

Losing a terrible Revis, fading Mangold who missed half the season, and Brandon Marshall is more than offset by having anyone other than Fitz under center.

6 minutes ago, slats said:

I agree it's not likely but you got it right.  Not re-signing him would be more of a public relations move than a football move. 

1 hour ago, UnitedWhofans said:

I don't see why people instantly assume that if Hoyer is brought in, he's going to get he reps and the starting job. Fitz wasn't handed the starting job immediately in 2015

sh*tz never was signed to the starter. He was signed to mentor Geno"friggin"Smith in Gailey's offense. If Geno didn't get cold-cocked for being an a-hole who knows what might have been? We could have been the Cleveland Browns.

1 minute ago, Pac said:

Losing a terrible Revis, fading Mangold who missed half the season, and Brandon Marshall is more than offset by having anyone other than Fitz under center.

Can one of you math guys check this please? Seems faulty.

7 minutes ago, slats said:

The perception of Geno is different now than it was this time last year. A lot of people are much more open to bringing him back now than they were a year ago. I don't think it would cause a ruckus in the media.

I can't say I'm surprised. Hoyer fits the bill as a starter for a rebuilding team. If they sign him I think Petty's days are numbered and wouldn't be surprised to see the Jets draft Deshaun Watson if he is available. Hoyer would start the season if he wins the job with Watson holding the clipboard with the goal of him ending the season as the starter if He progresses. That just one scenario but I could see it happening.

5 minutes ago, August said:

The perception of Geno is different now than it was this time last year. A lot of people are much more open to bringing him back now than they were a year ago. I don't think it would cause a ruckus in the media.

LOL. No offense but on what planet? If the Jets sign Geno"friggin"Smith it totally negates what it appears they are trying to do. Rebuild with Geno as the starter? It really doesn't make sense. No way he could handle it if he doesn't win the job and besides that he's a friggin tool. Just say no to Geno"friggin"Smith.

Now that we have bet our entire frnachise future on the Picks of Mac, we have been left with Brian Hoyer, GREAT! Why, because why would a Glennon, Romo or Cutler want to come to team releasing talent left and right for "young guys who play hard". The rebuild is already failing....

1 minute ago, JetFaninMI said:

LOL. No offense but on what planet? If the Jets sign Geno"friggin"Smith it totally negates what it appears they are trying to do. Rebuild with Geno as the starter? It really doesn't make sense. No way he could handle it if he doesn't win the job and besides that he's a friggin tool. Just say no to Geno"friggin"Smith.

On ESPN and WFAN they're saying they're okay with the Jets bringing back Geno. A stark contrast from last year when they constantly ripped Geno. 

As far as the quarterback position. The proven young players that I wouldn't mind spending money on are Kirk Cousins (and he's not coming here) and Tyrod Taylor (I doubt he wants to come here but if he's open to being here then you go after him) besides them there are Kaepernick (our owner would want absolutely nothing to do with him), Cutler and Romo would cost too much and neither one are long term solutions. Then you have journeymen like Hoyer, the McCown brothers, Barkley, Keenum, McCoy etc. 

To me Geno kills two birds with one stone, you get a cost efficient quarterback, a guy whose still young with upside who is also a veteran. And someone who has some semblance of chemistry with players like Decker, Enunwa and Powell. Geno Smith does not negate the rebuild anymore than signing Hoyer would. 

1 hour ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Because Hoyer probably gets us an extra win or two. And if we're going to be assembling a poopy roster then god dammit do it right. A 1-15 season is better than a 3-13 season.

I mean, there's no LT, there's no center, there's Eric Decker coming off injury and Quincy Enunwa, and then there's a year older Matt Forte.  I think we could go all season without a touchdown.  I'm not sure Hoyer is going to make the difference... I'm not sure Aaron Rodgers could.

2 minutes ago, prime21 said:

We are throwing away the weight and doing a full rebuild. Boyer is not part of the rebuild but someone has to take the snaps behind center.

If he is better than Petty and Hack that's fine. He may help to develop the younger WR's more so than the other two QB's.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

This team will never be anywhere without a QB, rebuild or not, and if you are betting on a 1-15 season and the second coming of Jesus with Sam Darnold, then I say you belong in Vegas with a lot of other unhappy gamblers.

1 minute ago, prime21 said:

We are throwing away the weight and doing a full rebuild. Boyer is not part of the rebuild but someone has to take the snaps behind center.

If he is better than Petty and Hack that's fine. He may help to develop the younger WR's more so than the other two QB's.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Ehh, I just don't see the point in going with a guy like Hoyer if we are gutting this team and not planning on being competitive this year. I'm not saying for sure that's the road the Jets are going down. But if it is, why go with Hoyer? So we can win 6 games? Just go with Petty, Hack and maybe a guy you draft and roll the dice. If they stink it least we can evaluate 2 guys at the QB position and maybe be in position to land a guy like Darnold in a year.

Archived