For those focused solely on the re-build

AFJF

7 hours ago, T0mShane said:

So roughly exactly back where Idzik left the team three years ago? 

Idziot did an amazing job freeing up money. His downfall, as we all know, was his inability to pull a few rabbits out of a hat......and of course drafting the mentally challenged Smith. Destined to fail regardless. 

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Thioe of us who have been through many rebuilds, re-do's.do overs, start agains have had enough. 

This draft is so deep though.  It's tailor made for a team that's starting a rebuild which should hopefully make it a non-suicidal process

I don't want to sign over the hill guys or trade draft picks to acquire a veteran either.  I also don't believe in "Suck for Sam."  We could waste a season a draft this guy and he turns out to be a bust or blows out a knee.  Let's just build through the draft, use free agents to plugs holes, and play our guys and let them learn to play.

12 hours ago, SickJetFan said:

Let us see what Mike Williams runs on 3/16 - he already has the production..if he runs sub 4.5 he is the pick unless of course Fournette still there

Williams will be to the Titans at #5. They just signed to dbacks to bolster their secondary now it's time to get Mariota a weapon. I would still take Howard over Williams though. He's a game changing tight end look at what Gronk,Reed,Kelce etc do for their qbs 

11 hours ago, jets rooter said:

so how would you guys react if hackenberg turns out to be a young tom brady. the jets sign those free agents you listed.to top it all the jets trade down and have a super draft. they end up contending for the next 5 years..

OMG, I used to think like that.  I hate what the Jets did to me!

2 hours ago, SR24 said:

Williams will be to the Titans at #5. They just signed to dbacks to bolster their secondary now it's time to get Mariota a weapon. I would still take Howard over Williams though. He's a game changing tight end look at what Gronk,Reed,Kelce etc do for their qbs 

1.  Garrett 

2.  Fournette

3.  Williams

4.  Howard

I would take Williams over Howard and look for kittle or sprinkle later in draft to pair with ASJ 

12 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Those of us who have been through many rebuilds, re-do's.do overs, start agains have had enough. 

? It is what it is! The rebuild is in full affect, your either on board as a fan or you just off the train and come back when the team starts to win again at some point. I'm an all in fan, I have my opinions but can only hope Macc makes the right choices. I've been a fan for a very long time & I don't think I've really ever seen a complete youth rebuild. 

Mostly since free agency has begun we have always made splash signings or traded for high end players, Holmes, Edwards, Marshall, that brought some baggage with them along with their talents.

I still remember Tannenbaum on Hardknocks patting himself on the back for the Santonio Holmes trade. "Who's the smart guy that traded for him?". We need some young guys that turn into leaders on this team. The Pats have had Brady & Belichick, groomed McCourty into a leader, now Butler is a leader, Slater has always led on Special teams, you need leaders at different levels of your team.

We need Leo to become a leader of the Dline, either Lee or Jenkins at LB, our secondary is rudderless. As fans we can't have it both ways, complain about not participating much in free agency, and also complain about trying to rebuild with youngsters. 

1 minute ago, Jetster said:

? It is what it is! The rebuild is in full affect, your either on board as a fan or you just off the train and come back when the team starts to win again at some point. I'm an all in fan, I have my opinions but can only hope Macc makes the right choices. I've been a fan for a very long time & I don't think I've really ever seen a complete youth rebuild. 

Mostly since free agency has begun we have always made splash signings or traded for high end players, Holmes, Edwards, Marshall, that brought some baggage with them along with their talents.

I still remember Tannenbaum on Hardknocks patting himself on the back for the Santonio Holmes trade. "Who's the smart guy that traded for him?". We need some young guys that turn into leaders on this team. The Pats have had Brady & Belichick, groomed McCourty into a leader, now Butler is a leader, Slater has always led on Special teams, you need leaders at different levels of your team.

We need Leo to become a leader of the Dline, either Lee or Jenkins at LB, our secondary is rudderless. As fans we can't have it both ways, complain about not participating much in free agency, and also complain about trying to rebuild with youngsters. 

Never I'm a lifelong diehard fan win or lose I'm onboard with no ever getting off.

I will have a Jets emblem on my tombstone.

I sat out at the stadium every game during the Kotite time 1-15 

I wear Jets gear year round win or lose

I never sold out tickets to opposing teams fans when i had my season tickets 

Ive been through the high profile free agent QB signings (O'Donnell) 

Ive been through the rookie QB experiements 

Ive been through many head coaching and GM changes 

Nothing seems to ever work 

Hoping someday it finally does. 

13 hours ago, jets rooter said:

so how would you guys react if hackenberg turns out to be a young tom brady. the jets sign those free agents you listed.to top it all the jets trade down and have a super draft. they end up contending for the next 5 years...

I don't recall Brady's issues ever being about accuracy.  I could be wrong about that but at least no one said he couldn't hit the ocean from the Jersey Shore Boardwalk.

Reality, Petty was years away during his rookie season.  And after making tremendous improvement in his second offseason, he has now developed into a below average back up QB.

Now, Hack is probably at least a year away from being at Petty's rookie season level.  At least.

So I would say that there is a greater chance of Hack not making it to final cuts than him improving enough to challenge for back up QB, let alone what you are suggesting.

I agree the Jets need to draft offense, but not another developmental QB. I would prefer a RB like Dalvin Cook or Leonard Fournette to help whoever our QB is. Right now, the way FA is shaping up, I don't think the Jets are going to sign/trade for one and prefer to go with what we already have. The Jets have missed out or didn't participate in acquiring Hoyer or Glennon and heaven forbid RGIII or Jay Cutler or Colin Kaepernick so that tells me that they plan to draft one or they plan to throw Petty and Hackenberg into the deep and and say 'sink or swim'. 

Just now, Ex-Rex said:

I agree the Jets need to draft offense, but not another developmental QB. I would prefer a RB like Dalvin Cook or Leonard Fournette to help whoever our QB is. Right now, the way FA is shaping up, I don't think the Jets are going to sign/trade for one and prefer to go with what we already have. The Jets have missed out or didn't participate in acquiring Hoyer or Glennon and heaven forbid RGIII or Jay Cutler or Colin Kaepernick so that tells me that they plan to draft one or they plan to throw Petty and Hackenberg into the deep and and say 'sink or swim'. 

RG III,Kaep and Cutler will all be available after the draft. 

Im leaning towards acquiring McCarron for Richardson and drafting another immediate impact player at 6 this scenario instantly improves this team. 

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Post-Mangini, Tannenbaum drafted two guys who start in this league. One is Jeremy Kerley. The other is defensive end who is semi-retired. 

Who did Tannenbaum draft as the Jets GM while Mangini was failing as a HC?

4 hours ago, Pcola said:

I don't recall Brady's issues ever being about accuracy.  I could be wrong about that but at least no one said he couldn't hit the ocean from the Jersey Shore Boardwalk.

Reality, Petty was years away during his rookie season.  And after making tremendous improvement in his second offseason, he has now developed into a below average back up QB.

Now, Hack is probably at least a year away from being at Petty's rookie season level.  At least.

So I would say that there is a greater chance of Hack not making it to final cuts than him improving enough to challenge for back up QB, let alone what you are suggesting.

Which coach said that?

14 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

3. Slauson.

But yeah, holy ****.

I think this is more of an indictment on Rex constantly overriding the scouting department.  Tandy was never a scout, so in his role, he was dependent on the scouting department.  But Rex basically knew better and that is why we didn't draft a single offensive starter in his six years outside of Slauson.

Tanny didn't have any problem bringing in blue chip free agents or drafting long term starters before Rex or now down in Miami.

51 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Who did Tannenbaum draft as the Jets GM while Mangini was failing as a HC?

Whoa whoa whoa:

Eric Mangini w/Jets: 23 wins, 25 losses. .479 winning percentage

Rex Ryan w/Jets: 46 wins, 50 losses. .479 winning percentage

11 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Whoa whoa whoa:

Eric Mangini w/Jets: 23 wins, 25 losses. .479 winning percentage

Rex Ryan w/Jets: 46 wins, 50 losses. .479 winning percentage

This has what to do with Mac/Idzik?

16 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Charlie Brown gave this joke positive rep.

The point is anyone can just cut everyone. Idzik didn't bring in anyone to improve the situation.

Dexter McDougle? A 3rd round corner from a few years ago could easily be starting on this team.

23 minutes ago, Maxman said:

The point is anyone can just cut everyone. Idzik didn't bring in anyone to improve the situation.

Dexter McDougle? A 3rd round corner from a few years ago could easily be starting on this team.

But Idzik didn't just cut people. He had a sound strategy of acquiring picks and he was right about the notion of shedding expensive 2nd and 3rd contracts while relying on mid-rounders to build a club. In hindsight that Revis trade was pretty insane value for a corner, even one of Revis' stature at the time. The high amount of picks he cultivated for the year after that was 100% intentional. He had the right idea in how to go about building a team. His eye for players was just dogsh*t.

7 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

But Idzik didn't just cut people. He had a sound strategy of acquiring picks and he was right about the notion of shedding expensive 2nd and 3rd contracts while relying on mid-rounders to build a club. In hindsight that Revis trade was pretty insane value for a corner, even one of Revis' stature at the time. The high amount of picks he cultivated for the year after that was 100% intentional. He had the right idea in how to go about building a team. His eye for players was just dogsh*t.

Yes. They should have made him head of football operations and handed the draft over to someone else. That would have been a better plan for Idzik's skill set.

51 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I was trying to triangulate your definition of "failing as a head coach."

This is about Mac vs Idzik and acquiring talented players.

Archived