Jets - 2nd highest dead money in league

Integrity28

The difference between the Jets and the other 3 teams listed with the most dead money in the league, is that we're nowhere close to turning the team around. While the others could all feasibly make the playoffs this year. 

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

@dbatesman this one is for you.

2 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

The difference between the Jets and the other 3 teams listed with the most dead money in the league, is that we're nowhere close to turning the team around. While the others could all feasibly make the playoffs this year. 

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cap/

not according to this site

1 hour ago, Integrity28 said:

Tell Gregg Rosenthal.

there's a huge difference between being in the top 3 and the top third.  i guess there's no telling when this list is updated but right now this is a non issue for the jets.  and most of theirs is revis.

It's Revis and Fitzpatrick. Mac gets a pass on Revis- I don't think anyone saw him falling off a cliff so quickly, and the truth is that Revis would've been very easily cuttable in 2018 based on his contract structure. As for Fitz, dumb contract.

3 minutes ago, rangerous said:

there's a huge difference between being in the top 3 and the top third.  i guess there's no telling when this list is updated but right now this is a non issue for the jets.  and most of theirs is revis.

Plus Jets dead money is 100% cleared in 2018. Only 1 more guy might get cut & that's Harris with zero cap hit.

5 minutes ago, shuler82 said:

It's Revis and Fitzpatrick. Mac gets a pass on Revis- I don't think anyone saw him falling off a cliff so quickly, and the truth is that Revis would've been very easily cuttable in 2018 based on his contract structure. As for Fitz, dumb contract.

Best thing that could have happened with Fitz if he didn't make the deadline & we grabbed Foles. We probably would have gone 5-11 and Jet fans would still be lamenting what could have been with the fearless bearded leader taking us to the promised land. Fitz signing & the Jets crashing at least put to bed all of the whining that would have gone on here about how we could of been the team to knock the Pats out of the Super Bowl had Macc just resigned Fitz.

Ive said this before. That 10-6 2015 was the worst thing that could have happened to us. Macc was SCREWED no matter what he did. 

Revis would have easily been cutable this season too if he didn't fall off a cliff. With the offset thing in his contract we would have had next to nothing in dead money when some other team have him a big contract.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

17 hours ago, SickJetFan said:

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cap/

not according to this site

They aren't counting Revis. They've magically eliminated him from our balance sheet. They may have their own reasons, like what would happen if someone else coughed up $6m+ for Revis this year (due to the offset), but as things stand today sportrac is wrong. You know Revis and Fitz alone add up to $11m and they have us at $8m total.

The problem isn't the amounts per se. The problem is the amounts for players unworthy of keeping around. It's no better to throw the money at an unworthy player with no dead money (e.g. Cromartie), as that money could/would/should have gone towards paying down the future cap number(s) of other(s). 

Whether it's dead money in 2017 or idiotic spending in 2016 or 2015 on obviously unworthy FAs, neither is good. The former just appears messier at a glance. 

What's more concerning is the team would have been signing itself up for more of the same, had Hightower agreed to the Jets' offer of more than $12m/year while we're rebuilding. It shows little to nothing has been learned. 

5 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

They aren't counting Revis. They've magically eliminated him from our balance sheet. They may have their own reasons, like what would happen if someone else coughed up $6m+ for Revis this year (due to the offset), but as things stand today sportrac is wrong. You know Revis and Fitz alone add up to $11m and they have us at $8m total.

The problem isn't the amounts per se. The problem is the amounts for players unworthy of keeping around. It's no better to throw the money at an unworthy player with no dead money (e.g. Cromartie), as that money could/would/should have gone towards paying down the future cap number(s) of other(s). 

Whether it's dead money in 2017 or idiotic spending in 2016 or 2015 on obviously unworthy FAs, neither is good. The former just appears messier at a glance. 

What's more concerning is the team would have been signing itself up for more of the same, had Hightower agreed to the Jets' offer of more than $12m/year while we're rebuilding. It shows little to nothing has been learned. 

The signings of Ijalana at $5.5mm/per and Beachum at $8mm/per, coupled with the pursuit of Hightower at $12mm/year make me question the sanity of Maccagnan. Ijalana is a fringe-starter/backup type but we're giving him starter money. 

Every contract he's given out have left the team with almost no upside based on the # of years in the contract. For instance, Beachum's contract pays him well for a player who wasn't good last year, but the third year of the deal voids if he makes the pro-bowl in 2017 or 2018. So if he's good while he's here he can leave after two years, but if he sucks then we're on the hook for the third year? How is that a good deal for the Jets?

Also, to the Hightower deal - is he $5.5mm/year better than David Harris? What about the #1 draft pick from last year that you're paying $6mm/year to? Is he unable to play MLB? If Hightower did sign, is $18mm/year between him and Lee really a wise investment given that MLB is a non-premium position?

Maccagnan looks rather clueless in 2017...

36 minutes ago, Jack Straw said:

The signings of Ijalana at $5.5mm/per and Beachum at $8mm/per, coupled with the pursuit of Hightower at $12mm/year make me question the sanity of Maccagnan. Ijalana is a fringe-starter/backup type but we're giving him starter money. 

Every contract he's given out have left the team with almost no upside based on the # of years in the contract. For instance, Beachum's contract pays him well for a player who wasn't good last year, but the third year of the deal voids if he makes the pro-bowl in 2017 or 2018. So if he's good while he's here he can leave after two years, but if he sucks then we're on the hook for the third year? How is that a good deal for the Jets?

Also, to the Hightower deal - is he $5.5mm/year better than David Harris? What about the #1 draft pick from last year that you're paying $6mm/year to? Is he unable to play MLB? If Hightower did sign, is $18mm/year between him and Lee really a wise investment given that MLB is a non-premium position?

Maccagnan looks rather clueless in 2017...

The thing one could argue is that Harris is a dead-end player and Hightower isn't. Except the Jets aren't contenders now, and - if they draft another raw-ish QB, or wait for Hackenberg to develop into a starter - they aren't going to be true contenders next year either. Hightower will be pushing 30 by the time the Jets are in that type of position, and even if he's healthy all year (yeah, right) he's not going to be in his full prime anymore. I could argue that they're better off treading water with Harris (or neither) than sign on for another bloated contract for another player who isn't worth that kind of coin.

Ijalana it's my guess - or maybe I'm projecting because it's my wish - will get cut at the end of the summer, assuming Beachum is healthy and Shell still looks ok out there. His contract looks a bit hard to swallow at $5.5m x 2 yrs, but as best I can tell none of it is guaranteed. So Maccagnan can put the squeeze on him the last week of August, Tannenbaum-Clemens style, to cut his salary in half (to pure backup money), or if he refuses then just cut him outright & carry that space over to 2018. Or they can trade him if someone else's LT/RT goes down over the summer.

Re: Beachum I think was an ok gamble as a player (or maybe I just fear them handing out an even worse contract to someone else), but his 1.5 yrs guaranteed money effectively means he's here for 2 years even if he's not too good, or they'll have to eat another $4m (of new money) to cut him the way they're eating $6m for Revis this year. Then, as you point out, if he's just ok in 2017, but then pretty good in 2018, he can just opt out in 2019. So we get the risk of him being totally awful at 1 yr $12m, without the upside of a cheaper deal past year 2 if he actually pans out. It's higher on risk than reward.

Bottom line, unless he knocks it out of the park in the upcoming draft, it looks like the Jets hired yet another over-*promoted amateur to be their GM.

7 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Jets didnt offer 12 million, we dont know what the offer was or how it was structured but it was reported no where near 12 million - 1 thing we know is the offer was rejected.

11 minutes ago, SickJetFan said:

Jets didnt offer 12 million, we dont know what the offer was or how it was structured but it was reported no where near 12 million - 1 thing we know is the offer was rejected.

So multiple sources/outlets say the Jets offered $12m (or more). One claims it wasn't. You really don't know.

Luckily it was rejected. The Jets are not and should not be in the market for a $10m ILB who gets injured every year, while they don't even have a freaking starting QB, so in 2019 we can applaud how uniquely smart it was to "only" guarantee him 2 years so he'll then be cuttable.

You want to overpay while you don't have a QB, and when we'll likely be putting a kid out there to take his lumps? Fine. Go overpay to bring in the very best OLmen money can buy, or overpay a little for a reliable TE so we're again not "Seferian-Jenkins or bust" at the position. 

6 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

So multiple sources/outlets say the Jets offered $12m (or more). One claims it wasn't. You really don't know.

Luckily it was rejected. The Jets are not and should not be in the market for a $10m ILB who gets injured every year, while they don't even have a freaking starting QB, so in 2019 we can applaud how uniquely smart it was to "only" guarantee him 2 years so he'll then be cuttable.

You want to overpay while you don't have a QB, and when we'll likely be putting a kid out there to take his lumps? Fine. Go overpay to bring in the very best OLmen money can buy, or overpay a little for a reliable TE so we're again not "Seferian-Jenkins or bust" at the position. 

I really do not believe they intended to keep him as ILB...so actually would have been a good contract if that were case.

4 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

You think they were going to move him to QB?

lol

call me crazy but he has perfect size, good speed, and his forte is getting after the QB ..oh and he is a liability in coverage as an ILB chasing RBs - think he would be a huge upgrade of Sheldumb Richardson

also I wanted the Jets to draft him and at the time they said he could be an ILB or OLB

NE runs a 4/3 and his size is better fit in middle for them.

On 3/15/2017 at 2:44 PM, Integrity28 said:

The best time to have dead money is when you suck. Feels good cutting those players. If the Jets were good, the dead money would hold them back. That would be painful. :)

15 minutes ago, Maxman said:

The best time to have dead money is when you suck. Feels good cutting those players. If the Jets were good, the dead money would hold them back. That would be painful. :)

Agree 1000%, not sure why so many people fail to grasp what your saying.

4 hours ago, Maxman said:

So it's good we suck!  Otherwise all that dead money would be a bad thing.  I get it. It's like saying my wife won't sleep with me but it's ok because she's totally unattractive!  

29 minutes ago, sirlancemehlot said:

So it's good we suck!  Otherwise all that dead money would be a bad thing.  I get it. It's like saying my wife won't sleep with me but it's ok because she's totally unattractive!  

Exactly. Plus when the team is good the lines at the stadium are crazy long. Especially when you are driving home after a big win. Who needs that nonsense.

23 hours ago, SickJetFan said:

NJ.com reported that New York already had a five-year offer worth roughly $55 million before Hightower visited Florham Park, NJ. The contract has a max value of $62.5 million if Hightower was to be active for every game during the five-year span, and made the Pro Bowl each year.

So both leaked/rumored amounts have some truth to them, depending on how one looks at the actual deal. The Jets' offer was for $11m minimum, as well as "over $12m" as a very reachable maximum in any given year. Don't read it as "if he never misses a game or if he ever fails to make the pro bowl" then it's 5y/$55m. More likely it was a typical year-to-year incentive, whereby he'd get an extra $1.25m after each year for 16 starts and making the pro bowl; not an unprecedented all-or-nothing lump payment of $12.5m at the end of 5 years (otherwise the team would simply cut him after 4 to avoid it). 

Regardless, it's a far cry from your claim that it was "nowhere near $12m" per year. Even the minimum amount of $11m is plenty "near" $12m, as well as being over 25% more than the $8.75m/year New England paid him. 

We backed out after giving him a physical, with the Jets' team doctors not liking what they saw; it wasn't because we were outbid by NE. 

6 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

NJ.com reported that New York already had a five-year offer worth roughly $55 million before Hightower visited Florham Park, NJ. The contract has a max value of $62.5 million if Hightower was to be active for every game during the five-year span, and made the Pro Bowl each year.

So both leaked/rumored amounts have some truth to them, depending on how one looks at the actual deal. The Jets' offer was for $11m minimum, as well as "over $12m" as a very reachable maximum in any given year. Don't read it as "if he never misses a game or if he ever fails to make the pro bowl" then it's 5y/$55m. More likely it was a typical year-to-year incentive, whereby he'd get an extra $1.25m after each year for 16 starts and making the pro bowl; not an unprecedented all-or-nothing lump payment of $12.5m at the end of 5 years (otherwise the team would simply cut him after 4 to avoid it). 

Regardless, it's a far cry from your claim that it was "nowhere near $12m" per year. Even the minimum amount of $11m is plenty "near" $12m, as well as being over 25% more than the $8.75m/year New England paid him. 

We backed out after giving him a physical, with the Jets' team doctors not liking what they saw; it wasn't because we were outbid by NE. 

I believe you are stretching thing here a bit dont ya think?

NE had 10 million signing bonus and 19 million guaranteed

the Jets contract offer had no information on bonus or guarantees so you are trying to make an arguments assuming worst case.

11 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

oh and further I think the jets tried Perry didnt want to spend that much for an OLB and went to plan B with Hightower to be OLB - just my opinion..but if i am right then well worth even 12 million for an OLB...esp the way Macc does his contracts with the out clauses after 2 years

6 hours ago, SickJetFan said:

oh and further I think the jets tried Perry didnt want to spend that much for an OLB and went to plan B with Hightower to be OLB - just my opinion..but if i am right then well worth even 12 million for an OLB...esp the way Macc does his contracts with the out clauses after 2 years

News flash: everyone does contracts like that. With the exception of a couple of unique players, nobody guarantees more than 2 years to anybody.

And Maccagnan doesn't even "do" the contracts; he's an overglorified scout. Jacqueline Davidson does them. Maccagnan only says how high he's willing to go, but she does the contract structures.

Archived