Overrated as a motherf**ker thread

T0mShane

• Replies 432
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, HessStation said:

But it sorta doesn't which is the problem. Any kind of alcohol really > beer

Allow me to rephrase:

it works to the extent that it helps you forget about work but doesn't keep you from getting to work the next day.

1 minute ago, nyjunc said:

so many great candidates.

Joe Namath

Eli Manning

Michael Strahan

Jason Taylor

Alonzo Mourning

Phil Rizzuto

Lynn Swann

Bruce Springsteen

Jay Z

Ty Law

Philip Rivers

Carmelo Anthony

Ken O'Brien(by Jet fans)

You know how to raise an eyebrow or two.

12 hours ago, HessStation said:

That you are Ape. That you are.

Oh, don't get sensitive because I think you're cute when you get all uppity about music and books. It's fun.

12 hours ago, The Crusher said:

Overating things is pretty overrated if you ask me. 

This is basically where I find humor in this thread.

12 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I don't understand what this means 

Let me break it down into similar JN terms: "gheymofag"

50 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

My plan  today was to copy post from the underrated thread and paste them here. Then see how long it took for someone to notice. 

We truly are brothers from another orca.

Thank Beelzebub that there's actually people who hate that midget Bruce Springsteen. Fukk him and his under bite. Watching a crotch shot of him sliding and slamming his balls into the camera during the SB HT show was enough to permanently decide me. It's not as if it wasn't written in concrete before that. 

OK, OK, he has his place, some of his acoustic stuff is alright, wrote 'Because the Night' with Patti Smith in a roach motel, lived for rock' n' roll, but you start becoming a parody of yourself at some point. Hang up your cleats and just stop it.

Speaking of hanging up your cleats, I saw 'The Rolling Stones' in Albany in '81 against my parents' objections and almost walked out because Jagger didn't want to say black girls just wanna get fukked all night. Yes, it was the 'Tattoo You' tour, but they were doing some numbers from 'Some Girls',and trust me, it was terrible. Why did I defy my Daddy to watch some skinny white gayblade doing the chicken dance? Stayed in a crap motel with 8 friends, MTV had recently launched, and I fell asleep to Oingo Boingo and Devo. I also ate a bag of Bravos on the way home and puked on the shoulder of the North Way. Bite me, Keith Richards. 

Oh, man, do I ever have the funniest Rolling Stones story ever. Ask me. 

'Woodstock'. Two of my Uncles are in the opening credits, lol.  Years later, my natural father, in an odd turn of events, built some of the scaffolding for the revival, and then took me and my old man to see the aftermath. I never saw so much piss, sh it, and used condoms in my life. What a bunch of disgusting pigs. Love, love, love, OK. I really wish that folks would get over the hippie chit love affair with the 60s. Abbie Hoffman died broke and alone. Shave and get over it. 

The Grateful Dead. Hate, hate, hate, hate, hate. I got corralled into a concert at MSG in '89, but shortly prior to to that, I had to step over smelly barefoot assholes while I was trying to get to work. I would deck into Woolworth's for respite, but the unwashed masses invaded my haven and hurled hot dog chunks with onions mixed with Pepsi and sauerkraut all over my beloved funky rickety escalator. C'mon, I'm just trying to go all haberdashery and meditate on why I can't stand you! I tried so hard not to commit violence upon them, but I was saved in the end by divine providence. Someone stabbed and deflated the gorilla atop MSG and all was well with the world. Hahaha, that guy deserves a medal pinned to his chest infinity. And then someone stabbed it again. The newspaper guy rolled up a People magazine to forge it in to a weapon and started shouting, "What are you doing up there? Get down from there! Police, police, I will call the police!" My favorite beat cop lost it and almost dropped his nightstick because he was laughing so hard. Of course 20 people said, "Jump! Jump! Jump!"'  Best two consecutive days of my life. 

20 hours ago, jetophile said:

Thank Beelzebub that there's actually people who hate that midget Bruce Springsteen. Fukk him and his under bite. Watching a crotch shot of him sliding and slamming his balls into the camera during the SB HT show was enough to permanently decide me. It's not as if it wasn't written in concrete before that. 

OK, OK, he has his place, some of his acoustic stuff is alright, wrote 'Because the Night' with Patti Smith in a roach motel, lived for rock' n' roll, but you start becoming a parody of yourself at some point. Hang up your cleats and just stop it.

Speaking of hanging up your cleats, I saw 'The Rolling Stones' in Albany in '81 against my parents' objections and almost walked out because Jagger didn't want to say black girls just wanna get fukked all night. Yes, it was the 'Tattoo You' tour, but they were doing some numbers from 'Some Girls',and trust me, it was terrible. Why did I defy my Daddy to watch some skinny white gayblade doing the chicken dance? Stayed in a crap motel with 8 friends, MTV had recently launched, and I fell asleep to Oingo Boingo and Devo. I also ate a bag of Bravos on the way home and puked on the shoulder of the North Way. Bite me, Keith Richards. 

Oh, man, do I ever have the funniest Rolling Stones story ever. Ask me. 

18 hours ago, jetophile said:

'Woodstock'. Two of my Uncles are in the opening credits, lol.  Years later, my natural father, in an odd turn of events, built some of the scaffolding for the revival, and then took me and my old man to see the aftermath. I never saw so much piss, sh it, and used condoms in my life. What a bunch of disgusting pigs. Love, love, love, OK. I really wish that folks would get over the hippie chit love affair with the 60s. Abbie Hoffman died broke and alone. Shave and get over it. 

10 hours ago, jetophile said:

The Grateful Dead. Hate, hate, hate, hate, hate. I got corralled into a concert at MSG in '89, but shortly prior to to that, I had to step over smelly barefoot assholes while I was trying to get to work. I would deck into Woolworth's for respite, but the unwashed masses invaded my haven and hurled hot dog chunks with onions mixed with Pepsi and sauerkraut all over my beloved funky rickety escalator. C'mon, I'm just trying to go all haberdashery and meditate on why I can't stand you! I tried so hard not to commit violence upon them, but I was saved in the end by divine providence. Someone stabbed and deflated the gorilla atop MSG and all was well with the world. Hahaha, that guy deserves a medal pinned to his chest infinity. And then someone stabbed it again. The newspaper guy rolled up a People magazine to forge it in to a weapon and started shouting, "What are you doing up there? Get down from there! Police, police, I will call the police!" My favorite beat cop lost it and almost dropped his nightstick because he was laughing so hard. Of course 20 people said, "Jump! Jump! Jump!"'  Best two consecutive days of my life. 

You might be the most interesting person in the entire world.  I'd love to have a beer with you sometime and just talk life. 

23 hours ago, jetophile said:

"American Beauty" is a fantastic album, and they have a bunch of very good songs. But the deadhead thing is lost on me.Nobody needs a 28 minute version of "Uncle John's Band". Not sure if they really enjoyed doing never ending jam songs because it was easy or because the audience came to like it, but either way that is repetitive and boring. Point of comparison;  the Ramones can bang out  a solid ditty clocking  2:30.  Wonder if their audience really enjoyed it or they have came to expect it as part of their fandom.

25 minutes ago, Bugg said:

"American Beauty" is a fantastic album, and they have a bunch of very good songs. But the deadhead thing is lost on me.Nobody needs a 28 minute version of "Uncle John's Band". Not sure if they really enjoyed doing never ending jam songs because it was easy or because the audience came to like it, but either way that is repetitive and boring. Point of comparison;  the Ramones can bang out  a solid ditty clocking  2:30.  Wonder if their audience really enjoyed it or they have came to expect it as part of their fandom.

@jetophile

The Grateful Dead were in their prime in the 60's and 70's.  (their early 80's stuff is pretty good too).  Listening to stuff after that, however, is definitely not the same.  Give the songs below a shot if you're interested in hearing how it sounded when they were "in the zone".  

"Eyes Of The World":

Below is "Slipknot" into "Franklin's Tower" (I skipped "Help On The Way" because I wanted to showcase some of their more "jammy" songs).

I'm pretty meh on the Grateful Dead.  I've seen the Dead a few times touring with the Bros.  It was cool in a somewhat nostalgic way.  There are a few songs I love by them, namely, I think Box of Rain is a incredibly beautiful song. 

True story and some more name dropping from JiF, but I once picked up Bob Weir from the Airport to take him to a show at Wanee that the him and Rat Dog were head lining. This was like 1999.  Back then you could volunteer to be part of the staff for a day and they would give you a free ticket for the rest of weekend.  Well, something happened with the car that was supposed to pick up Bob and me and another volunteer staff member got picked to go pick up Bob Weir.  

That was an awesome car ride.  He was so ******* cool.

3 hours ago, JiF said:

I'm pretty meh on the Grateful Dead.  I've seen the Dead a few times touring with the Bros.  It was cool in a somewhat nostalgic way.  There are a few songs I love by them, namely, I think Box of Rain is a incredibly beautiful song. 

True story and some more name dropping from JiF, but I once picked up Bob Weir from the Airport to take him to a show at Wanee that the him and Rat Dog were head lining. This was like 1999.  Back then you could volunteer to be part of the staff for a day and they would give you a free ticket for the rest of weekend.  Well, something happened with the car that was supposed to pick up Bob and me and another volunteer staff member got picked to go pick up Bob Weir.  

That was an awesome car ride.  He was so ******* cool.

Bob Weir, hahaha, oofah. Nothing worse to ruin date night than hearing a sh it  bootleg blasting out of a tinny Toyota Tercel speaker.  Only one speaker worked, but it was enough to scar me for life more than I was already scarred by this horrible band. I was like Dick Van Patten trying to kick out the window in 'High Anxiety'. I learned driving standard in that car, the floorboards were rotted through to the roadway, the heat didn't work, but I got my revenge on Bob Weir, alright. I tore the cassette apart, wrapped the tape around my neck and pretended to hang myself from our highly unstable kitchen ceiling fan that was always blowing a fuse.  The old man wasn't even remotely mad, and then kissed my dangling feet in honor of my creativity. 

Bob Weir and his cracking crap voice, I have a lot of Dead stories and they're all highly worthy of the U.S. Mint.

2 minutes ago, jetophile said:

Bob Weir, hahaha, oofah. Nothing worse to ruin date night than hearing a sh it  bootleg blasting out of a tinny Toyota Tercel speaker.  Only one speaker worked, but it was enough to scar me for life more than I was already scarred by this horrible band. I was like Dick Van Patten trying to kick out the window in 'High Anxiety'. I learned driving standard in that car, the floorboards were rotted through to the roadway, the heat didn't work, but I got my revenge on Bob Weir, alright. I tore the cassette apart, wrapped the tape around my neck and pretended to hang myself from our highly unstable kitchen ceiling fan that was always blowing a fuse.  The old man wasn't even remotely mad, and then kissed my dangling feet in honor of my creativity. 

Bob Weir and his cracking crap voice, I have a lot of Dead stories and they're all highly worthy of the U.S. Mint.

For the record, I couldnt stand Rat Dog but ofcourse I didnt tell him that...

1 hour ago, JiF said:

For the record, I couldnt stand Rat Dog but ofcourse I didnt tell him that...

Of course not. That would be mean. In reality they're kind of OK, it's just the whole culture surrounding it. I was a Bowie freak in my teens - still am - but mostly because he sounded like Anthony Newley. J/K. Bowie gets blasted a lot for later later work, but he was such a huge part of my later teenage bull sh it, and I'll never forget him. I think I drew his face over three million times when I was 11. "This ain't Rock n Roll, this is genocide!" 8 tracks for the win. One of my closest friends sent me a sympathy card when Bowie kicked the pail. I tossed/sold all of my vinyls on everyone years ago, which is really a shame. Fukk CDs and the Cloud, it's kind of like digital photos vs. ASA/ISO 400. Not the same. And I stand by traditional photography with  my life. 

Anyway, 'Sound and Vision', I hum that to myself when I paint.

10 minutes ago, jetophile said:

Of course not. That would be mean. In reality they're kind of OK, it's just the whole culture surrounding it. I was a Bowie freak in my teens - still am - but mostly because he sounded like Anthony Newley. J/K. Bowie gets blasted a lot for later later work, but he was such a huge part of my later teenage bull sh it, that I'll never forget him. I think I drew his face over three million times when I was 11. "This ain't Rock n Roll, this is genocide!" 8 tracks for the win. One of my closest friends sent me a sympathy card when Bowie kicked the pail. I tossed/sold all of my vinyls on everyone years ago, which is really a shame. Fukk CDs and the Cloud, it's kind of like digital photos vs. ASA/ISO 400. Not the same. And I stand by traditional photography with  my life. 

Anyway, 'Sound and Vision', I hum that to myself when I paint. 

I love David Bowie.  It's hard for me to say who my favorite band/musician, genre, decade, etc is/was...but if I started to name my favorite bands/musicians of all time David Bowie is one of the first mentioned.

Sound and Vision is such a happy song. 

Archived