6 Mock Drafts at CBS.com each have us taking a different player

Sarge4Tide

OJ Howard TE
Mitch Trubisky QB
Patrick Mahomes QB
Jamal Adams S
Deshaun Watson QB
Malik Hooker S

All 6 CBS mocks have Myles Garrett and Solomon Thomas going 1-2.  All 6 have some combination of Jonathan Allen, Jamal Adams, Leonard Fournette, or Marshon Lattimore going in the Top 5.   No other player appears in any of the mocks Top 5.

The 5 mocks at NFL.com also have us taking different players

Howard
Trubisky
Adams
Fournette
Allen

Not that any of that means anything, but it looks like it could come down to the Jets taking a QB, Howard, or a DB (whichever of Adams/Hooker/Lattimore falls to us) 

If the Jets don't trade down, I think that is the most likely scenario at 6 (QB, Howard, or a DB). 

OJ Howard has to be a smoke screen.

Besides the absolute carnage of the Jets taking a TE in the first round in history (Johnny Mitchell, Kyle Brady, Anthony Becht, Dustin Keller), to take this guy at 6 (!) without a QB? It makes no sense for this team. For a team that has a QB maybe it makes sense. For this team it makes no sense, and there are like a million TE in this draft by the way.  

Also I refuse to believe the Jets are super serious about a guy who scored 3 TD last year and 2 the year before, no matter how great he was at the senior Bowl and combine. This is the difference maker? A guy that Alabama didn't really use? I don't buy it for a second. 

But generally, agree with QB or DB.

At this point they are looking at Trubisky super hard, Mahomes alot harder than they want to admit and hoping that Hooker or Adams falls so they can stick to their board and punt on the hard decision.  The surprise won't be if they take Trubisky the surprise will be if they pass on Trubisky for Mahomes. 

4 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Besides the absolute carnage of the Jets taking a TE in the first round in history (Johnny Mitchell, Kyle Brady, Anthony Becht, Dustin Keller), to take this guy at 6 (!) without a QB? It makes no sense for this team. For a team that has a QB maybe it makes sense. For this team it makes no sense, and there are like a million TE in this draft by the way.  

Also I refuse to believe the Jets are super serious about a guy who scored 3 TD last year and 2 the year before, no matter how great he was at the senior Bowl and combine. This is the difference maker? A guy that Alabama didn't really use? I don't buy it for a second. 

At this point they are looking at Trubisky super hard, Mahomes alot harder than they want to admit and hoping that Hooker or Adams falls so they can stick to their board and punt on the hard decision.  The surprise won't be if they take Trubisky the surprise will be if they pass on Trubisky for Mahomes. 

If either happens Thursday night, I call at 8 AM Friday to cancel the season tickets.

I think it tends to be useful looking at the draft in terms of tiers for non quarterbacks. Obviously drafting a quarterback is it's own animal and sometimes need/projection dictate and they get pushed up so it's hard to compare.

Garrett is the first tier and he's not going to be at six. I think the pick comes down to a) what the Jets are doing at quarterback (my guess is pass or a flier outside round 1) and how they view the second and third tiers.

I'd argue tier 2 is really small and tier 3 is pretty big. So if there's a tier 2 guy on the board at 6 I think you pop. If not I think you do your best to trade down even if it means taking less than chart value - just ensure you get a tier 3 guy at that spot.

I think there are so many projections to the Jets because it's unclear how that third tier is viewed. Someone we're talking about at 6 is almost certainly going outside the top 10.

3 minutes ago, bitonti said:

johnny mitchell?  you gotta admit the guy had some seriously good talent.  it's too bad his head wasn't screwed on properly.

i guess i won't be surprised at whatever player they take at 6 unless it's dline, punter or kicker.  they have enough needs that getting the best player at any other position is good.  qb?  trubitsky in the first round or wait until the end of the 3rd.

5 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Howard may or may not be a smokescreen, but I think taking a tight end (not necessarily at six) absolutely serves a purpose as a security blanket for a young QB.

I don't care if the pick at 6 produces a ton this year. The Jets need to create a situation conducive to developing a young quarterback. In my opinion they should punt on QB this year, draft offensive talent that will help a young QB, see what they have with Petty and/or Hackenberg, and if it's nothing then draft a QB next year and have a decent situation to put him in.

Also think they should draft a corner and a pass rusher because the class is deep in both. And the reason I say punt on QB this year most of all is this class looks like it's full of gigantic question marks. I'll stick with the gigantic question marks on the roster for now. This whole team is a mess and needs to be built from square one anyway.

11 minutes ago, Sarge4Tide said:

OJ Howard TE
Mitch Trubisky QB
Patrick Mahomes QB
Jamal Adams S
Deshaun Watson QB
Malik Hooker S

All 6 CBS mocks have Myles Garrett and Solomon Thomas going 1-2.  All 6 have some combination of Jonathan Allen, Jamal Adams, Leonard Fournette, or Marshon Lattimore going in the Top 5.   No other player appears in any of the mocks Top 5.

Howard
Trubisky
Adams
Fournette
Allen

Not that any of that means anything, but it looks like it could come down to the Jets taking a QB, Howard, or a DB (whichever of Adams/Hooker/Lattimore falls to us) 

If the Jets don't trade down, I think that is the most likely scenario at 6 (QB, Howard, or a DB). 

Besides Pete.... 'I Just Want Clicks' ... Prisco... These are all reasonable... But what this tells me most of all is that the front office has been doing a great job of not leaking information. This is a great thing, they needed this after the last few regimes.

I hope the Jets trade down a few times and grab some picks for next year as well. That would be best case scenario in my opinion.

40 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Taking OJ Howard at 6 would be the biggest mistake period, not just because the Jets have no QB, but also because of the tremendous depth at the TE position, you can grab a great talent at TE in RD 3.

5 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

Taking OJ Howard at 6 would be the biggest mistake period, not just because the Jets have no QB, but also because of the tremendous depth at the TE position, you can grab a great talent at TE in RD 3.

You could say the same thing about RB/DB and even QB since all the QBS are talented with big time question marks. 

The only player projected to be a top 6 pick who can't be replaced by taking a player later in the draft is Garrett and he will be gone at 1. While this TE class is deep, none possess the all around skills of Howard. I'm not all in on Howard, but I won't have a problem taking him. He is a difference maker on offense and this team desperately needs that to help whichever young QB takes over this team. 

56 minutes ago, derp said:

Howard may or may not be a smokescreen, but I think taking a tight end (not necessarily at six) absolutely serves a purpose as a security blanket for a young QB.

Just FYI, Josh McCown is not a young QB.

I don't care if the pick at 6 produces a ton this year. The Jets need to create a situation conducive to developing a young quarterback. In my opinion they should punt on QB this year, draft offensive talent that will help a young QB, see what they have with Petty and/or Hackenberg, and if it's nothing then draft a QB next year and have a decent situation to put him in.

At least you want to draft offense.

I just wonder how you're going to feel when the Jets sit at pick #15 next year, after McCown leads us to a brilliant 7-9 campaign, with hack again unable to crack the top #1/32 spots, and all of the top QB prospects off the board by our pick next year.

Point being, banking on the unknown of "next year" is a self-perpetuating cycle of can-kicking-down-the-road'ism.

Also think they should draft a corner and a pass rusher because the class is deep in both.

So just for the record, the three first round pass rushers we have, Sheldon, Wilkerson and Williams, are not good enough.  We need more.

And the reason I say punt on QB this year most of all is this class looks like it's full of gigantic question marks. I'll stick with the gigantic question marks on the roster for now. This whole team is a mess and needs to be built from square one anyway.

Fair enough, but banking on Hack is banking on likely disappointment.

1 hour ago, Sarge4Tide said:

OJ Howard TE
Mitch Trubisky QB
Patrick Mahomes QB
Jamal Adams S
Deshaun Watson QB
Malik Hooker S

Howard
Trubisky
Adams
Fournette
Allen

Hopefully it isn't a QB because this draft is pissing talent at every other position.  It depends on who's there when they pick.  Howard will definitely be there, but will Adams also be there?  If so, I think Adams has to be the pick.  There are only a handful of players I take over Howard.

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

If the Jets are not really thrilled about this QB class I think Howard makes perfect sense because not only is he a huge threat but hes a blocker as well and will certainly help develop the young QB's already on the roster.... if that's the Jets plan of course. History at this stage means absolutely nothing based on whats available in this draft

So if they plan on going with the QB's currently on the roster they better start looking at talent to surround that QB with to be successful TE RB WR not in that order but for once we should build a talented offense or at least try too.

47 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Just FYI, Josh McCown is not a young QB.

At least you want to draft offense.

I just wonder how you're going to feel when the Jets sit at pick #15 next year, after McCown leads us to a brilliant 7-9 campaign, with hack again unable to crack the top #1/32 spots, and all of the top QB prospects off the board by our pick next year.

Point being, banking on the unknown of "next year" is a self-perpetuating cycle of can-kicking-down-the-road'ism.

So just for the record, the three first round pass rushers we have, Sheldon, Wilkerson and Williams, are not good enough.  We need more.

Fair enough, but banking on Hack is banking on likely disappointment.

Just FYI, Josh McCown is made of glass, about as likely to start sixteen games for the Jets this season as you are, and certainly not the QB of the future I think the Jets need to build an offense to develop.

Not sure why you think I'm so fascinated with McCown. Clearly that signing rubbed you the wrong way.

I'm not talking about banking for next year or this year or any year so not sure where that came from.

Not sure what you're getting at with the edge rusher thing or why you're talking about first round interior defensive linemen, when I'm not proposing taking an interior defensive linemen or taking one in the first round. The use of Sheldon Richardson is also strange as he's unlikely to be on the roster in 2018 and far from a sure thing in 2017.

Also not banking on Hack.

Not sure where most of your post came from to be honest. You're arguing with things I didn't say.

Will be rooting hard for Trubisky... 

I've watched the games now for all of the QB's over and over and I just think he has everything.  To be honest, I'm confused why he isn't universally thought of higher up.  His only negative is experience but that has never stopped NFL scouts before.  Then again, the mock drafts always end up catching up to the GM's and the scouts so perhaps that will change now in the next two weeks.

Trubisky is great though... Great feet, can step up in the pocket. Very good arm and great release.  His comfort going through his reads is excellent though. Just can't teach it.

Oddly enough, I think this QB class as a whole will result in a few starters.  Kizer is the only wild card I can't quite figure out.  Some great, some bad.  Brilliant and everything you want as a QB in terms of his head. 

Mahomes has a raw play maker style to him. Not all that different than Favre but I think he'll end up making more mistakes.

Can't underrate Watson's will in terms of facing near NFL defenses and beating them with Ohio State and Bama, but his accuracy on simple throws makes me worry.  Even if the reciever catches the ball, the throw is too far off to collect it quickly and make a move up field.  Also, his throws deep are entirely too inaccurate.

My top 5 is:

1. Trubisky (QB position is everything and I think he's going to be top 10 eventually in the NFL)

2. Jamal Adams (Perfect as a safety. Only a small question on his ball skills down the field, but the quickness of his reads will make him great)

3. Jon Allen (We'll never draft him and don't need him)

4. Soloman Thomas (At his best inside, so we just don't need him)

5. Corey Davis ( Excellent size/speed. Great kid.  Will be good in the NFL without a doubt. Question is how good)

2 hours ago, bitonti said:

I think you are dead wrong about Howard. He is the best receiver in this entire draft class and is one of the top blocking TE's as well. I am not a combine groupie but Alabama didn't use him in their scheme, not because he wasn't effective but because they have a freshman QB and a devastating running game which he was instrumental in its blocking schemes.

I would recommend going on YouTube and watching a number of reviews on players by a man named Brett Kollmann. He is extremely impressive with his detail and analysis. His analysis of OJ Howard bears watching. I believe he is basically uncoverable and would help any QB and we need all the help we can get.

3 hours ago, bitonti said:

This guy gets it

2 hours ago, varjet said:

My tier 2 is Thomas, Howard, Fournette, Adams, technically Allen.

Williams, Davis and Hooker are the top of my tier 3 (in that order).

What happened to Lattimore? And barring injury, I think Reuben Foster will be a monster in this league for years to come.

Just now, choklits said:

What happened to Lattimore? And barring injury, I think Reuben Foster will be a monster in this league for years to come.

Agree about Foster.

However Lattimore has consistent injury issues... Wouldn't take him just because of it. Even in games he manages to play, he misses snaps with constant issues.

As for OJ Howard, I wouldn't be thrilled with that pick.  He's a good blocker, but he's not a road grader.  And he's a good receiver, but he's not all world. Especially after the catch.I also don't like taking tight end so high.  Belichick even called the tight end position the hardest in the league to play (after QB) and I believe that's the reason so many tight ends bust.  Unless you worship a player at that position, just wait or sign someone in free agency who's already proven.  That said, I do like a few kids this year in the draft, just not crazy about taking Howard so high.

3 minutes ago, choklits said:

Barring injury...Chad Pennington would have won us a SB.

Some guys break a lot. Some don't. Injury is every bit an important factor as anything else.

19 minutes ago, Komba said:

Agree about Foster.

However Lattimore has consistent injury issues... Wouldn't take him just because of it. Even in games he manages to play, he misses snaps with constant issues.

As for OJ Howard, I wouldn't be thrilled with that pick.  He's a good blocker, but he's not a road grader.  And he's a good receiver, but he's not all world. Especially after the catch.I also don't like taking tight end so high.  Belichick even called the tight end position the hardest in the league to play (after QB) and I believe that's the reason so many tight ends bust.  Unless you worship a player at that position, just wait or sign someone in free agency who's already proven.  That said, I do like a few kids this year in the draft, just not crazy about taking Howard so high.

Did you watch the YouTube on him from Kollmann? I think Howard is hands down the best pick we could make IF he is there.

3 hours ago, Sarge4Tide said:

OJ Howard TE
Mitch Trubisky QB
Patrick Mahomes QB
Jamal Adams S
Deshaun Watson QB
Malik Hooker S

Howard
Trubisky
Adams
Fournette
Allen

I think it'll be either Jeff LAgerman, or Rodger Vick. 

57 minutes ago, Komba said:

Will be rooting hard for Trubisky... 

I've watched the games now for all of the QB's over and over and I just think he has everything.  To be honest, I'm confused why he isn't universally thought of higher up.  His only negative is experience but that has never stopped NFL scouts before.  Then again, the mock drafts always end up catching up to the GM's and the scouts so perhaps that will change now in the next two weeks.

Trubisky is great though... Great feet, can step up in the pocket. Very good arm and great release.  His comfort going through his reads is excellent though. Just can't teach it.

Oddly enough, I think this QB class as a whole will result in a few starters.  Kizer is the only wild card I can't quite figure out.  Some great, some bad.  Brilliant and everything you want as a QB in terms of his head. 

Mahomes has a raw play maker style to him. Not all that different than Favre but I think he'll end up making more mistakes.

Can't underrate Watson's will in terms of facing near NFL defenses and beating them with Ohio State and Bama, but his accuracy on simple throws makes me worry.  Even if the reciever catches the ball, the throw is too far off to collect it quickly and make a move up field.  Also, his throws deep are entirely too inaccurate.

My top 5 is:

1. Trubisky (QB position is everything and I think he's going to be top 10 eventually in the NFL)

2. Jamal Adams (Perfect as a safety. Only a small question on his ball skills down the field, but the quickness of his reads will make him great)

3. Jon Allen (We'll never draft him and don't need him)

4. Soloman Thomas (At his best inside, so we just don't need him)

5. Corey Davis ( Excellent size/speed. Great kid.  Will be good in the NFL without a doubt. Question is how good)

Garret not in your top 5?

54 minutes ago, choklits said:

Agreed. But Foster has no injury history.

Wrist, leg/knee (but I think it was relatively minor), concussions, now just had rotator cuff surgery.  That's just off the top of my head. 

The kid has legitimate injury concerns and I think his concussions were pretty bad and more frequent than Bama led on. At least that's what was talked about if you believe the rumor mills.

5 hours ago, Sarge4Tide said:

OJ Howard TE
Mitch Trubisky QB
Patrick Mahomes QB
Jamal Adams S
Deshaun Watson QB
Malik Hooker S

Howard
Trubisky
Adams
Fournette
Allen

And they probably are all wrong 

Archived