Biggest fall from grace?

AFJF

Biggest fall from grace is??  

85 members have voted

1. 1. Make your pick

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Saw the video of tigers roadside sobriety test this morning. I cant help but feel bad for him. One thing about Tiger that sets him apart from this group is that he is battling his own demons in his own head with very little effect on the rest of the world. Did he destroy his marriage, yes, but in todays day and age where divorce is far more the answer than staying married i cannot demonize him as the others.  

I see this thread has gone away from the original question of biggest fall from grace to biggest POS but I dont think that tiger is in either conversation.

For me it was between Lance Armstrong and OJ Simpson but I chose Lance.  From the hero that he was winning all of those tour de frances to his cancer foundation, the man was on top for a long time and could've been considered the most dominant athlete period.  However in the wake of his steroid use, he put a lot of his close friends down and consistently lied to protect his own ass which all came to light eventually.  Now he is thought of as a joke.  I can't figure a bigger fall from grace.  At least Jo Pa is still respected by a certain amount of people.  

21 hours ago, Warfish said:

I loathe this hypocritical viewpoint. It reeks tbqh. 

As if there is any meaningful difference between drunk driving and drugged out driving that makes one better than the other. It's the same issue, the same danger and the same lack of judgement. Stop making excuses for privileged addict cunts because they abuse proscriptions instead of alcohol ffs.

I don't make the rules of society Warfish. If it was up to me things would be very different. My point is if Tiger Woods was just Larry the dentist who just had back surgery and fell asleep at a red light this wouldn't even be a story. Even in Tiger's case there's literally no fallout at all. He's not losing sponsors or income or missing starts etc. He's a guy who was driving when he should have been convalescing.  

For me, it has to be Lance Armstrong.

At his peak, he was an enormous sporting icon both here and around the world. He was the ultimate feel-good story: an average Texan that somehow beat cancer and went on to break records in one of the world's most grueling sports. He was a massive inspiration and an endorsement magnet to boot. He was Nike's poster boy, and his fan-base counted the most influential people in the world, such as former President Bush. Most Americans knew nothing about cycling but the image of Lance in that yellow jersey with an American flag was unforgettable. He stuck it to those snobby Frenchmen and Euros. Back in 2004, he had people all across America wearing those yellow livestrong bracelets.

In the space of 5 years, he went from being a world renowned superstar athlete to a complete fraud. I can't think of a bigger capitulation than that. While the other guys featured on the poll had a fall from grace, their achievements remained untarnished. Nobody is wiping off Woods' majors, OJ Simpson's touchdowns or Paterno's historic record; they will forever remain in the history books. Armstrong not only had a fall from grace, but his achievements were wiped out. Future generations, including his kids, will look at the TdF's records from 1999-2004, and see empty spaces - as if he never even competed. He is a nobody, and memory of his existence dies with whoever watched him.

I'm not sure how he lives with himself. By all accounts, he is a sociopath, so maybe this is 'normal' to him. An entire generation won't have a clue who he is, so he will easily avoid all notoriety. Maybe that's a silver lining of sorts.

OJ, Paterno and Hernandez are in a class of their own. And that class is evil. Murder and kiddie fiddling.

Armstrong, Rose are in the class below. Misleading and cheating list. 

Woods, just a guy off the rails.

Biggest Fall ? Probably OJ, complete house hold name and murdered his wife. Lance Armstrong is up there but he only murdered good sportsmanship.

Just MO.

57 minutes ago, predator_05 said:

For me, it has to be Lance Armstrong.

I'm not sure how he lives with himself.

The Patriots are like if Lance Armstrong never got caught and striped of his Tour titles. At the risk of defending "lie-strong" at least he paid some kind of real penalty for his cheating. Does he feel remorse? probably not but he will have the rest of his life to reflect on the consequences of his actions. There are all sorts of Lance Armstrongs out there they just have better cover ups for their schemes. Those people are worse. The active cheaters.

11 minutes ago, The Walrus said:

OJ, Paterno and Hernandez are in a class of their own. And that class is evil. Murder and kiddie fiddling.

Paterno enabled it and knew about it but it's not like he was an active diddler. I don't consider his story AS big of a fall from grace as OJ and Hernandez, cause he didn't personally commit the horrendous crime. And he had like an ideal 90 years prior.  OJ's life is ruined (likely with wicked CTE so he might not even be all there anymore). Hernandez couldn't stop killing and suicide is ridiculous. 

OJ and Aaron might be one or more weight classes higher than Paterno on the immorality scale. Sandusky should be in a hotter level of Dante's inferno, right? It's all relative. 

4 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Paterno enabled it and knew about it but it's not like he was an active diddler. I don't consider his story AS big of a fall from grace as OJ and Hernandez, cause he didn't personally commit the horrendous crime. And he had like an ideal 90 years prior.  OJ's life is ruined (likely with wicked CTE so he might not even be all there anymore). Hernandez couldn't stop killing and suicide is ridiculous. 

OJ and Aaron might be one or more weight classes higher than Paterno on the immorality scale. Sandusky should be in a hotter level of Dante's inferno, right? It's all relative. 

Won't argue with that. The weight class description is apt. The question is fall from grace and does the weight of the crime weigh into that ? Not sure. But I'll stick with OJ as the biggest fall.

The way I interpret the question, I gotta go with Tiger Woods. Paterno and Hernandez couldn't touch Wood's celebrity and national recognition as well as saintly image. OJ came closest but only because of his trial- he was a recognizable guy, but not a household name.

On 5/31/2017 at 0:14 PM, bitonti said:

it should be noted that Tiger Woods didn't really have a huge fall from grace. He has 79 career Tourney wins and 14 masters. He's rich as sh*t and his latest incident was a guy who had too many pain pills after a back surgery, not drunk or partying etc whatever.

Basically the guy got divorced from a hot woman but compared to these others he didn't fall at all. 

Exactly.  

he should just retire and stick to banging women in NYC or some other fun town. 

31 minutes ago, the Claw said:

The way I interpret the question, I gotta go with Tiger Woods. Paterno and Hernandez couldn't touch Wood's celebrity and national recognition as well as saintly image. OJ came closest but only because of his trial- he was a recognizable guy, but not a household name.

How did tiger fall?

The question was "biggest fall from grace" rather than "worst atrocity". 

It's a toss-up between OJ and Joe Pa to me.  Both were legends who fell hard and don't have public sympathy.  Joe Pa is more fresh in people's minds but OJ was "the crime of the century" and is still in the public conscience.  As far as their heinous act, OJ killed people but Joe Pa was an enabler of child rape.  Both are horrific.  Side note: I have a gut feeling there's a lot more to the Sandusky story (that it goes a lot higher up than people would ever expect) but we'll see if history proves me correct.

Aaron Hernandez: He wasn't a big star so he didn't really have a fall from grace.

Tiger Woods: If he wins another major, he'll have a ton of people rooting for him so I don't think there's a real fall from grace there.  

Pete Rose: If he gets in the HOF, I think many people will cheer that decision.  I think there's definitely sympathy for him.  Again, not a huge fall from grace.

Lance Armstrong: He may have cheated but that sport is full of cheating (which I blame on the system rather than that competitors who need to cheat to compete - similar to baseball w/ PEDs) plus he raised a ton of money for a really good cause. 

no idea how old you are ... but you don't seem to have been alive in the late 70s early 80s when OJ was everywhere. Much bigger name than any golfer bar the Golden Bear. Who watches golf anymore ??

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

9 hours ago, Dunnie said:

no idea how old you are ... but you don't seem to have been alive in the late 70s early 80s when OJ was everywhere. Much bigger name than any golfer bar the Golden Bear. Who watches golf anymore ?? 

Golf is a worldwide sport. No one in Sri Lanka saw OJ running as a Buffalo Bill. Everyone knows Tiger Woods. 

On 5/31/2017 at 11:32 AM, AFJF said:

Saw a list of folks in the sports world who had huge falls from grace and wondered who JetNation saw as having the worst/most embarassing end to their legacy.

I say Joe Paterno for what he allowed to go on at Penn State.

Thoughts?

Joe Paterno was a villain for sure but he didn't kill anyone. O.J. and Aaron can't say the same thing. I picked O.J. because he killed two people.

Golf is a worldwide sport. No one in Sri Lanka saw OJ running as a Buffalo Bill. Everyone knows Tiger Woods. 

calling golf a sport is like calling darts or skeet shooting a sport. Golf does not require defense against the player's opponent. It's a leisure activity. Even Billiards is more of a sport because you can snooker your opponent.

26 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

calling golf a sport is like calling darts or skeet shooting a sport. Golf does not require defense against the player's opponent. It's a leisure activity. Even Billiards is more of a sport because you can snooker your opponent.

Using that logic, shot putting, diving basically all the Olympic events aren't a sport. 

Born in 79, but I've had the conversation about OJ's celebrity with numerous people and every one of them has said that mostly sports fans could pick him out of a line up before the trial. Most only knew him as a nickname, "juice." Any house wife in Oklahoma can point out Tiger Woods.

Meh, doesn't really matter.

14 minutes ago, the Claw said:

Born in 79, but I've had the conversation about OJ's celebrity with numerous people and every one of them has said that mostly sports fans could pick him out of a line up before the trial. Most only knew him as a nickname, "juice." Any house wife in Oklahoma can point out Tiger Woods.

Meh, doesn't really matter.

I disagree w/ you there, OJ wasn't only a famous football player but was in movies, commercials, etc...  Most non sports fans knew of OJ. 

18 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Don't forget 1st and Ten.

I loved that show as a kid.  I think they were the Jacksonville Bulls and I think they used clips from USFL games.  **edit** they were the California Bulls.

1st-AND-TEN-19.jpg

Archived