Calvin Pryor traded to Browns for Demario Davis: MERGED

Ghost

• Replies 716
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, gEYno said:

I don't think you understand how anything works.

It's hard to argue with people who refuse to argue in good faith. It's even harder to argue with people who are legitimately too dumb to know what arguing in good faith even looks like.

5 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

We were completely non-competitive at literally every single position that matters in the modern NFL when he got here. Two and a half offseasons later, nothing has improved even marginally at any of those positions.

Ok... Maybe it's you who hasn't heard of Robbie Anderson.

6 minutes ago, gEYno said:

What exactly we should be, I don't know.  But, I can confidently tell you we shouldn't, going into year 3, have no sign of a QB, a roster described as the worst in football by many, and a real likelihood of being in contention for the #1 overall pick.  The fact is, Macc is going into his third year, and the team is weak at every position that matters on a football field.  If that's not a terrible job, it's hard to imagine what a terrible job would look like.

I think Jets fans expect way too much, way too fast. As they always have because the suffering has been so long. Understandable. 

The Raiders are pretty good now right? Their GM bombed their first 2 drafts. Not even sure they have anyone left from them actually, could be wrong maybe one or two. Then he picks no brainers in Mack and Carr his THIRD draft and all is OK in Raider land. And still end up picking 4th overall the following year but there's HOPE because he got his QB. 

All teams situations are different, but like I said I think Mac is building the back end of the roster pretty nicely with productive players who have room to improve and as time goes on more talent will come in place (more "impact" players if you will). And hell, maybe he gets his QB next year if that's what we're all expecting with getting a top pick. If Woody sticks to the script of not doing the FA frenzy route, this team and talent will grow but of course they need their guy at QB to make that time the team needs to grow, feel just a bit better.

Just now, MDL_JET said:

I think Jets fans expect way too much, way too fast. As they always have because the suffering has been so long. Understandable. 

The Raiders are pretty good now right? Their GM bombed their first 2 drafts. Not even sure they have anyone left from them actually, could be wrong maybe one or two. Then he picks no brainers in Mack and Carr his THIRD draft and all is OK in Raider land. And still end up picking 4th overall the following year but there's HOPE because he got his QB. 

All teams situations are different, but like I said I think Mac is building the back end of the roster pretty nicely with productive players who have room to improve and as time goes on more talent will come in place (more "impact" players if you will). And hell, maybe he gets his QB next year if that's what we're all expecting with getting a top pick. If Woody sticks to the script of not doing the FA frenzy route, this team and talent will grow but of course they need their guy at QB to make that time the team needs to grow, feel just a bit better.

You misinterpret the expectations of Jets fans upset with Macc.  None of us expect the team to be championship caliber today.  We just don't want to be stuck in neutral with no plan.  And, that's where this team is.  We are not better today than we were when Macc took over, and the optimistic upside of this offseason, is that we have the NFL's best safety tandem, which is nice, but not the way teams build championships.  

Even if we get Darnold next year, and he is good, we have average WRs, no investment in offensive line to protect him, no running game, no tight end.  I'll certainly be happy we got a QB, but that QB will be up against long odds because he's literally coming into the most ineffective offensive situation I think you could imagine.  And, re: Macc, he doesn't get commended for getting Darnold if they finish with the #1 pick.  He should get fired, and then a new GM gets to take Darnold and hopefully pay attention to positions that matter more in the NFL in 2018

3 hours ago, gEYno said:

One could make exactly the same argument about all these players.  Where are all the Jets players who couldn't succeed because of poor coaching these days?  How many have gone on to great success elsewhere?

Being at the same level in an organization does not mean they all have the same responsibilities... In fact, if you really believe that, then you must also believe that Maccagnan is just as responsible for playcalling, strategy, and in-game adjustments as Bowles is.  And, as for the coaches say in who gets drafted, that's a narrative you (and others) have crafted, that is completely unverifiable.  In fact, the only time we actually got any evidence regarding this is when Tannenbaum said he gives Rex 1 pick (late in the draft) and on the other side, you have Rex complaining that he in fact, did not want the guy we drafted (Hill).

I'm not saying that the difference between Harbaugh and Bowles is negligible, but I am saying that the difference between Harbaugh and Bowles is far less significant than the difference between the Jets roster and the (insert any team here outside of maybe the Browns, 49ers, Jax, and St. Louis).

I'll sum this up with a pretty simple question... Was Bill Belichick "incompetent" when he coached in Cleveland?  Was he "incompetent" in New England up until Mo Lewis hit Drew Bledsoe?  I'm not a fan, per say, of any of the coaches we've had.  But, we've also never had good, sustained, QB play in my lifetime... And, I'd take Tom Brady and Todd Bowles over Bill Belichick and McCown/Petty/Hackenberg every single time, and that's ignoring the rest of the roster.  Blaming it all, or most of it, on the coach is a cop-out, but it sure does make us feel good.  It's super easy to think, "If we just replace one guy, everything will be better."  Certainly, far easier than acknowledging that the whole team stinks, which is by no means as easy a fix as just firing a bad coach and hiring a good one.

you make all good points EY its easy to argue either way but when you look at the organizations who consistently win in this league they have long term GM's and coaches so that stability is obviously having an Impact. Steelers, Patriots, Ravens, Broncos, Giants, Green Bay,Seattle Now look at the effect Andy Reid had on the Chiefs and the Eagles All those teams have bumps in the road here and there and they all have QB's as well but we have neither and we certainly have not been able to develop a QB since Vinny in 98 and Chad in 02 and both of those guys in some way were touched by Bill Parcells I mean Vinny was an Int Machine until he comes to Camp Parcells and he proceeds to throw 29 TD's with 7 Ints. How many players had un-tapped potential until Harbaugh arrived in San Fran ?

Bottom line we both know Bowles Stinks he misuses players much like Rex did see Couples/Richardson/ ...and I find it hard to trust the guy to develop young talent and adapt to game situations and Im pretty sure if we bring in a guy like Harbaugh now he could either have a positive effect on the current QB's we have in camp and I certainly have more faith he would make the right call in the upcoming draft a much better call than either Bowles or Rex was capable of making. If Woody wants to win he makes Harbaugh an offer he can't refuse and gets this ship winning again exactly like Parcells did.

3 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

you make all good points EY its easy to argue either way but when you look at the organizations who consistently win in this league they have long term GM's and coaches so that stability is obviously having an Impact. Steelers, Patriots, Ravens, Broncos, Giants, Green Bay,Seattle Now look at the effect Andy Reid had on the Chiefs and the Eagles All those teams have bumps in the road here and there and they all have QB's as well but we have neither and we certainly have not been able to develop a QB since Vinny in 98 and Chad in 02 and both of those guys in some way were touched by Bill Parcells I mean Vinny was an Int Machine until he comes to Camp Parcells and he proceeds to throw 29 TD's with 7 Ints. How many players had un-tapped potential until Harbaugh arrived in San Fran ?

Bottom line we both know Bowles Stinks he misuses players much like Rex did see Couples/Richardson/ ...and I find it hard to trust the guy to develop young talent and adapt to game situations and Im pretty sure if we bring in a guy like Harbaugh now he could either have a positive effect on the current QB's we have in camp and I certainly have more faith he would make the right call in the upcoming draft a much better call than either Bowles or Rex was capable of making. If Woody wants to win he makes Harbaugh an offer he can't refuse and gets this ship winning again exactly like Parcells did.

I blame Bowles for a lot of things... But, what would you like him to do with Richardson and our defensive line situation.  We brought in a 3rd player, in Leonard Williams, who plays the same position as the others.  Our personnel in the DLine and LBs is for a 3-4 moreso than a 4-3, and in that case, we have 3 players, our three best, who all play the same position, and there are only two spots for them.  If you want to put 4 down linemen, okay, but what about the LB situation then?  And who generates the edge rush (not that we get that anyway) with Richardson inside and Williams/Wilkerson outside.

Bowles may not be a good coach, but he's not exactly messing up a good situation either.

2 minutes ago, gEYno said:

I blame Bowles for a lot of things... But, what would you like him to do with Richardson and our defensive line situation.  We brought in a 3rd player, in Leonard Williams, who plays the same position as the others.  Our personnel in the DLine and LBs is for a 3-4 moreso than a 4-3, and in that case, we have 3 players, our three best, who all play the same position, and there are only two spots for them.  If you want to put 4 down linemen, okay, but what about the LB situation then?  And who generates the edge rush (not that we get that anyway) with Richardson inside and Williams/Wilkerson outside.

Bowles may not be a good coach, but he's not exactly messing up a good situation either.

once again correct but how many times have we tried to move DL with no takers or low ball offers ? I think Williams had to be the pick 2 years ago just like Adams had to be the pick this year. Also I'm not sure why everyone seems to dismiss the safety position. Look at the Impact safeties over the years have had on some of the great defenses Steelers Ravens Broncos Seahawks KC ...Oh look its those teams and their damn coaches again :)

Sure we have talent at the DL position but Macc has tried to move some guys with no takers partly due to the stupidity of Richardson and the Broken Leg of Wilkerson so it just didn't work out. I don't blame him so much as I blame the coach and If I had to choose 1 to get out of here it would be Bowles and I think you might come to that same conclusion if given the choice.

• "$6m for 1 season of Josh McCown (maybe this will be the great one!)"   It's like giving an utterly useless player who you should not want in the first place at all  a fully-funded  IRA/winning lottery ticket combo. Speaks to a franchise that has no freaking clue what it is doing. They simply go from one bad idea of the day to the next day's bad idea. If you really wanted Mccown as some kind of insurance policy, you could have gotten him for pennies closer to vet minimum the day after the draft. Can't celebrate some kind of great cap management of any trade or contract when you do something so utterly stupid. 

42 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

We were completely non-competitive at literally every single position that matters in the modern NFL when he got here. Two and a half offseasons later, nothing has improved even marginally at any of those positions.

Look at the bright side. I fully expected them to burn a draft pick on a FB this year. 

1 minute ago, Bugg said:
  • "$6m for 1 season of Josh McCown (maybe this will be the great one!)"   It's like giving an utterly useless player who you should not want in the first place at all  a fully-funded  IRA/winning lottery ticket combo. Speaks to a franchise that has no freaking clue what it is doing. They simply go from one bad idea of the day to the next day's bad idea. If you really wanted Mccown as some kind of insurance policy, you could have gotten him for pennies closer to vet minimum the day after the draft. Can't celebrate some kind of great cap management of any trade or contract when you do something so utterly stupid. 

The better upside move at the QB position would have been Colin Kaepernick because he has won in the playoffs payed damn good and almost won a SB. However knowing Woody I can almost guarantee he put any talk of Keap in the toilet in 3 seconds flat. Not to say I wanted Kaep because he had the potential to be a huge distraction but hes not 38 and he has won. problem also lies in salary he certainly would have wanted more than McCown signed for and McCown knows exactly what his role here will be at best a partial season.

4 hours ago, gEYno said:

One could make exactly the same argument about all these players.  Where are all the Jets players who couldn't succeed because of poor coaching these days?  How many have gone on to great success elsewhere?

Being at the same level in an organization does not mean they all have the same responsibilities... In fact, if you really believe that, then you must also believe that Maccagnan is just as responsible for playcalling, strategy, and in-game adjustments as Bowles is.  And, as for the coaches say in who gets drafted, that's a narrative you (and others) have crafted, that is completely unverifiable.  In fact, the only time we actually got any evidence regarding this is when Tannenbaum said he gives Rex 1 pick (late in the draft) and on the other side, you have Rex complaining that he in fact, did not want the guy we drafted (Hill).

I'm not saying that the difference between Harbaugh and Bowles is negligible, but I am saying that the difference between Harbaugh and Bowles is far less significant than the difference between the Jets roster and the (insert any team here outside of maybe the Browns, 49ers, Jax, and St. Louis).

I'll sum this up with a pretty simple question... Was Bill Belichick "incompetent" when he coached in Cleveland?  Was he "incompetent" in New England up until Mo Lewis hit Drew Bledsoe?  I'm not a fan, per say, of any of the coaches we've had.  But, we've also never had good, sustained, QB play in my lifetime... And, I'd take Tom Brady and Todd Bowles over Bill Belichick and McCown/Petty/Hackenberg every single time, and that's ignoring the rest of the roster.  Blaming it all, or most of it, on the coach is a cop-out, but it sure does make us feel good.  It's super easy to think, "If we just replace one guy, everything will be better."  Certainly, far easier than acknowledging that the whole team stinks, which is by no means as easy a fix as just firing a bad coach and hiring a good one.

Oooooo this was a nice sweet post!!!

Thank you!!!☺️?

29 minutes ago, gEYno said:

You misinterpret the expectations of Jets fans upset with Macc.  None of us expect the team to be championship caliber today.  We just don't want to be stuck in neutral with no plan.  And, that's where this team is.  We are not better today than we were when Macc took over, and the optimistic upside of this offseason, is that we have the NFL's best safety tandem, which is nice, but not the way teams build championships.  

Even if we get Darnold next year, and he is good, we have average WRs, no investment in offensive line to protect him, no running game, no tight end.  I'll certainly be happy we got a QB, but that QB will be up against long odds because he's literally coming into the most ineffective offensive situation I think you could imagine.  And, re: Macc, he doesn't get commended for getting Darnold if they finish with the #1 pick.  He should get fired, and then a new GM gets to take Darnold and hopefully pay attention to positions that matter more in the NFL in 2018

They're not stuck in neutral. They're turning over the roster of aging and stop gap players, of unproductive draft picks from past regimes. And building solid depth. 

Why should he be fired if we get a top pick? That's just dumb. And then what are fans gonna say when the team goes 4-12 because they have a rookie QB and no weapons as you say. That's what's wrong with Jet fans. Lets keep starting over and over and over. Let Mac select Darnold or whoever. Then let him pick weapons for him the following year. And then the next. Things don't have to all happen in one or two drafts. Most top QBs come into ineffective situations because their teams start with them. Then go up from there. 

3 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

You are reading it wrong. We didn't pay him any up front bonus money, so we're only on the hook for his salary (if he's kept). However we're on the hook for that entire salary amount, or $3.7m. That is the NYJ cap hit for Davis if he's on the opening day roster (the point at which his full salary gets guaranteed). 

So Cleveland didn't give him any up front money that the Jets aren't on the hook for? When I looked at OTC it looked as if Cle had already given him $1 million.

The New York Jets' offseason youth movement has claimed another victim ... and he's only 24 years old.

Calvin Pryor was traded Thursday to the Cleveland Browns, which tells us the Jets aren't making decisions based solely on birth certificates -- as was the case with old guys Darrelle Revis, Nick Mangold and Brandon Marshall.

This massive rebuilding project also is an attitude movement and a production movement -- and Pryor, the Jets' 2014 first-round pick, camp up short in both areas.

Adios to the Louisville Slugger. Have fun in Cleveland.

Paying attention, Sheldon Richardson?

Calvin Pryor managed just two interceptions and two forced fumbles in 44 games with the Jets and didn't show up for the first day of OTA practices. AP Photo/Bill Kostroun

In reality, Pryor's fate was sealed during the draft, when the Jets used their first two picks on safeties, Jamal Adams and Marcus Maye. Pryor, a safety who managed only two interceptions and two forced fumbles in 44 career games, was toast.

The Jets like what they've seen in early practices from Adams and Maye, and the plan is to make them opening day starters.

It took a month, but the Jets finally found a team willing to pick up Pryor's $1.6 million guaranteed salary for 2017. Hey, when you're looking for a salary dump, just call the Browns. The Jets still have a $1.1 million dead charge, but this was a winning move for them from a cap standpoint. If they had released Pryor -- that was the plan if they found no takers -- they would've had to eat his salary.

In return, they get a familiar face -- linebacker Demario Davis, who has a non-guaranteed $3.7 million salary in the final year of his contract. This gives the Jets plenty of flexibility. In theory, they could cut Davis before the season and incur no cap charge.

From a football standpoint, they have three starting-caliber inside linebackers with David Harris, Darron Lee and Davis, who played with the Jets from 2012-15. He overlapped one season with coach Todd Bowles in 2015, so he knows the system and it should be an easy transition.

It should be noted that Davis basically lost his starting job to Erin Henderson late in the 2015 season, so it would be a stretch to think he'll make a triumphant return as a starter. Harris and Lee remain the projected starters. Davis can be a depth player and he also has the athleticism to help in third-down packages. It makes no sense to pay $3.7 million for a backup inside linebacker, so Davis is no lock to make the team.

The Jets are taking a risk by leaning so heavily on two rookies at safety -- the most cerebral position in the secondary -- but they made up their minds on draft day to start the future right now. They believe Adams and Maye have star potential. Suddenly, depth is an issue at safety, but that can be fixed in the coming months. The overriding message here is that no one --not even someone picked in the first round -- gets a free pass.

Pryor, hailed by former coach Rex Ryan as a player with Jack Tatum-like skills, didn't make any impact plays. He'd blow up a ball carrier every so often, but he also missed too many tackles and was terrible in coverage. He failed to live up to his draft pedigree; he was 18th overall in 2014. The Jets were hoping for Odell Beckham Jr. (12th overall) but wound up with an undersized strong safety with marginal ball skills. Oops.

Pryor's attitude also soured people in the organization. They felt he had an inflated opinion of himself and didn't buy into Bowles' program. Look at it this way: They could've easily kept him as a backup -- salary-wise, it was doable -- but they wanted him out of the locker room ASAP.

They were curious to see how he'd respond to the Adams and Maye additions, and when he didn't show up for the first day of OTA practices ... well, it confirmed their impression of him. On Tuesday, he was demoted to third string.

Bowles downplayed the significance, spewing some coachspeak. But he also said, "If anybody's going to cry about somebody drafting somebody at their spot and not go out there and play, this is not the league for them."

Or the team.

58 minutes ago, AFJF said:

So Cleveland didn't give him any up front money that the Jets aren't on the hook for? When I looked at OTC it looked as if Cle had already given him $1 million.

Well we're not on the hook for that $1m up front bonus. That comes off their cap not ours. But that was money paid in 2016 not new money to be paid in 2017.

He is scheduled to make an additional $3.7m in new-money salary in 2017. If we pay him $3.7m in salary then $3.7m has to come off our cap.

Just now, Sperm Edwards said:

Well we're not on the hook for that $1m up front bonus. That comes off their cap not ours. But that was money paid in 2016 not new money to be paid in 2017.

He is scheduled to make an additional $3.7m in new-money salary in 2017. If we pay him $3.7m in salary then $3.7m has to come off our cap.

Gotcha.  

2 hours ago, dbatesman said:

Who even cares about the cap, Macc is a personell guy, not some nerd ass bean counter

Critiquing Maccagnan's demonstrably horrible acquisitions and moves obviously means I want Idzik-level draft and FA success for the next 20 years.

1 hour ago, MDL_JET said:

They're not stuck in neutral. They're turning over the roster of aging and stop gap players, of unproductive draft picks from past regimes. And building solid depth. 

Why should he be fired if we get a top pick? That's just dumb. And then what are fans gonna say when the team goes 4-12 because they have a rookie QB and no weapons as you say. That's what's wrong with Jet fans. Lets keep starting over and over and over. Let Mac select Darnold or whoever. Then let him pick weapons for him the following year. And then the next. Things don't have to all happen in one or two drafts. Most top QBs come into ineffective situations because their teams start with them. Then go up from there. 

If you're satisfied with the direction and the talent added to this team, then I think we're probably too far apart to come to a consensus.

He should be fired because, after 3 years with him at the helm, the team remains one of the worst in football.  His free agency has been bad, and his drafting hasn't been much better.  You're, it seems, willing to give Macc, who after 3 years (assuming the top pick) has the worst team in the league, 3 more years.  He has not earned that, because, thus far, he's done a bad job.

5 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

NOBODY IS GIVING UP A 6TH ROUND PICK FOR A GARBAGE SAFETY THAT THE SH!tTY JETS DON'T EVEN WANT!!!

READ THAT OVER AND OVER UNTIL IT GETS THROUGH TO YOU

You mean like when Seattle traded a conditional 5th round pick for backup safety Kelcie McCray? Hell, that same Seattle braintrust just traded a conditional 7th for camp fodder Dewey McDonald (conditional based on him making the roster, likely playing far ore on special teams than safety).

If past history is any indication, it seems as or more likely that our GM may have gotten a lower offer he didn't love, held out for more, and as usual he got stuck holding the hot potato (or in this case, the cold potato).

What should be "getting through" to people is just because our GM didn't pull off a trade doesn't therefore mean there wasn't a trade to be had. It may just mean he sucks at trading, and at negotiating in general.

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Critiquing Maccagnan's demonstrably horrible acquisitions and moves obviously means I want Idzik-level draft and FA success for the next 20 years.

Yes but Mac is a "personnel guy" and his star studded drafts show that

54 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I can't wait until we get the first pick in the draft and Maccagnan selects... Arden Key DE/OLB LSU.  We can't believe we were in a position to get such a talent!  You guys are going to sh*t. 

I guarantee if Mac somehow survives next season's abortion he drafts a defensive player over a qb

39 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

You mean like when Seattle traded a conditional 5th round pick for backup safety Kelcie McCray? Hell, that same Seattle braintrust just traded a conditional 7th for camp fodder Dewey McDonald (conditional based on him making the roster, likely playing far ore on special teams than safety).

If past history is any indication, it seems as or more likely that our GM may have gotten a lower offer he didn't love, held out for more, and as usual he got stuck holding the hot potato (or in this case, the cold potato).

What should be "getting through" to people is just because our GM didn't pull off a trade doesn't therefore mean there wasn't a trade to be had. It may just mean he sucks at trading, and at negotiating in general.

So you're just assuming that there may have been a better trade at some point? 

I think I can summarize.

We traded one sucky player at a non-premium position for another sucky player at a non-premium position.

If you want to take the cap into account to compute suckage per dollar, it's a little tricky at this point, as you have more dollars non-guaranteed vs less dollars - but guaranteed.

Although - I'm a little bit confused as to whether we want to *increase* our suckage per dollar, or decrease it?  Maybe we should be multiplying instead of dividing, and hence the units should be suckage dollars...???

Archived