Calvin Pryor traded to Browns for Demario Davis: MERGED

Ghost

• Replies 716
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, AFJF said:

Nobody is upset about losing him, but it looks like a few people can't understand why Mac traded a player who ins't very good, for another player who isn't very good.  There are so many good players in the leauge, Mac should have traded for one of them.

If you trade sh*t you get sh*t ...Keep in mind Pryor was an Idiot and that probably was going to lead to his release anyway. No guarantee Davis even makes this team and if he does it might be for a 1 year and see ya type situation. Obviously no one wanted Pryor they all saw the same crap we did so Im not sure what Jets fans expected in return 

16 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Actually it is comp territory. Losing a $2m UFA can (indirectly) help prevent the loss of a 3rd or 4th round pick for Sheldon, should the Jets otherwise pick up as many UFAs as they lost. Davis (or Pryor before him) would then make our net UFA loss 1 instead of 0.

He doesn't necessarily cancel out only an acquired UFA of his own approximate value. Just like Jarvis Jenkins nearly cancelled out the 3rd round comp pick for Snacks.

well of course there needs to be more Qualified UFA losses than gains, that goes without saying. But all things being equal, if multiple teams have the same exact net loss in Qualified UFAs, the UFA's who got the bigger salaries from their new teams are more likely to yield higher comp picks, or any comp picks at all.  There were some teams who had a net loss but got zero comp picks and that was solely because of salaries given to the UFAs they lost.  So yes, losing Davis as an UFA after 2017 will help with net losses vs gains, but if he gets $2M or less, chances are other teams will fare better and the net loss will result in nothing.

4 minutes ago, gEYno said:

But this is your MO, Smash - you always blame the coach, assuming that the right guy will eventually come along and maximize our untapped potential.  How many teams have a worse QB situation than us?  How many teams have a worse RB situation?   If our O-line is middle of the pack, it's at the bottom of the middle.  We have a lot of talent/depth at WR, but little to no top end talent. We have no WR who scares anyone.  How many teams are weaker at TE?  How many teams are worse at CB?  Our 3 best players are all on the D-line, don't get sacks, and can't be on the field together.  We are unathletic at LB outside of Lee, and he needs to take a huge step forward this year and next to not be a mistake.  At safety, we damn well better be on our way to the NFL's best unit, but neither of our two new picks excel at coverage. So...

Seriously... how many teams do you think would trade their roster for the Jets?  I think none.

I think a lot of the team is unknown. So yeah, that would put us at the bottom of the league in terms of trading roster for roster because the Jets don't really know what they have yet. You have guys like Jenkins, Lee, Burris, Anderson, Peake who all played well who can take steps forward next year. Enunwa can get even better, maybe ASJ bounces back, etc etc. Plus this years entire class. 

For a team who is in year 1 of their rebuild, I think they have a pretty solid roster of depth guys with some who can turn into more. Macs done a good job building that back end of this roster and thats where you start. Then you can start being more aggressive and taking more chances. 

5 minutes ago, sciond said:

well this is all kinds of frustrating....

I now have a headache

Funny.  I don't have a headache.  I have rage.  

Why are people acting like those of us complaining are upset that they didn't get a good player, a 1st round pick, starting QB, etc?  We are upset because we got an overpaid player we know very well at a non-premium position where we already have money and a high draft pick.  A player we will be better off cutting than keeping.  I would have been okay with a conditional 6th.  A conditional 6th wouldn't cost $4M and actually might be on the roster in 2019

I don't actually hate Demario Davis as a player.  I hate Demario Davis at $4M.

52 minutes ago, AFJF said:

He added a future HOFer in Brandon Marshall who had one of the best seasons in team history, and some of the SOJF's were whining about it the whole time.

I don't think Marshall gets in the Hall.

3 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

I think a lot of the team is unknown. So yeah, that would put us at the bottom of the league in terms of trading roster for roster because the Jets don't really know what they have yet. You have guys like Jenkins, Lee, Burris, Anderson, Peake who all played well who can take steps forward next year. Enunwa can get even better, maybe ASJ bounces back, etc etc. Plus this years entire class. 

For a team who is in year 1 of their rebuild, I think they have a pretty solid roster of depth guys with some who can turn into more. Macs done a good job building that back end of this roster and thats where you start. Then you can start being more aggressive and taking more chances. 

Year 1, year 6.  Potato potahto.

1 minute ago, #27TheDominator said:

Why are people acting like those of us complaining are upset that they didn't get a good player, a 1st round pick, starting QB, etc?  We are upset because we got an overpaid player we know very well at a non-premium position where we already have money and a high draft pick.  A player we will be better off cutting than keeping.  I would have been okay with a conditional 6th.  A conditional 6th wouldn't cost $4M and actually might be on the roster in 2019

agree with everything

my headache could be the end result of banging my head against the computer

1 minute ago, #27TheDominator said:

what exactly is 4m ? Its below average salary you think 4m is too much for a decent LB who has a good attitude ? Its right about where it should be and the guy probably wont be on the team next year. maybe they looked to fill the spot with a character guy rather than having the moronic Pryor polluting the new young safties. maybe they wanted a body rather than just cutting Pryor out right/ You act like were paying the guy 8 mil or more and were not

6 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Overthecap lists him at $3.2 million with $1 million up front from Cleveland which should bring Davis in at $2.2 million with the ability to cut him with zero cap hit.

Could be reading it wrong, but for some reason some of his numbers are coming up blank.

4 minutes ago, adb280z said:

I don't think Marshall gets in the Hall.

Not only does Marshall have top ten all time stats but hes done some things no one has ever done . Playoffs and playoff wins can count towards a QB's chances if the stats are not up to par (see Joe Willie) but a WR ? They can only do so much if their team just is not good enough to win or make the playoffs. I think its hilarious people point to the fact of Marshall not making the playoffs as a reason for him not to make the Hall. 

8 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

If it makes you feel better, keeping Pryor or releasing him would cost us 1.5M. By trading for Davis, he actually only costs us 2.5M (above what Pryor cost); and, if at the end of TC we don't think he is worth the 2.5M or the 4M, we can release him and we saved 1.5M.

36 minutes ago, pointman said:

The only way this could be funnier is if someone actually owned a Davis jersey and threw it out just for this to happen.

lol you never know. Im still pissed i left my vintage adrian murell jersey in miami many years ago

1 hour ago, AFJF said:

He added a future HOFer in Brandon Marshall who had one of the best seasons in team history, and some of the SOJF's were whining about it the whole time.

Yeah, in retrosepect we look awfully stupid on that one

20 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

what exactly is 4m ? Its below average salary you think 4m is too much for a decent LB who has a good attitude ? Its right about where it should be and the guy probably wont be on the team next year. maybe they looked to fill the spot with a character guy rather than having the moronic Pryor polluting the new young safties. maybe they wanted a body rather than just cutting Pryor out right/ You act like were paying the guy 8 mil or more and were not

Stop saying LB.  That would include OLBs which is where we are weak.  I believe he is the 14th highest paid ILB.  I don't want a body.  I want a pick.  If they like him, they like him, but it is strange to like that much after letting him walk.  

16 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Overthecap lists him at $3.2 million with $1 million up front from Cleveland which should bring Davis in at $2.2 million with the ability to cut him with zero cap hit.

Could be reading it wrong, but for some reason some of his numbers are coming up blank.

That would be better, but I think the number is $3.7M.  If the Browns already paid $1M that would be awesome, but I think you are looking at the pro-rated portion of his $2M signing bonus.  Lower the number the better I like it.  We shouldn't be taking on any salary.  Remember, this is the Browns.  They take on salary to get draft picks. 

14 minutes ago, bostonmajet said:

If it makes you feel better, keeping Pryor or releasing him would cost us 1.5M. By trading for Davis, he actually only costs us 2.5M (above what Pryor cost); and, if at the end of TC we don't think he is worth the 2.5M or the 4M, we can release him and we saved 1.5M.

If they got a draft pick, how much would that count against the cap?  Conditional picks are there.  By definition, the condition protects the team trading the pick. 

13 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Why? How is any of this shocking at this point? 

I'm not shocked.  Rage is my default setting.  I haven't been shocked since I was 7 years old. 

"Macc should trade Pryor for anything he can get".

*Trades Pryor*

"No no no, I meant Macc should trade Pryor for anything he can get as long as I find it acceptable."

-

"He also should have waited to maximize his value!!!!1!!1!"

****Actual display of his value (It's not even the clip of him backpedaling and tripping on his own 2 feet)**** 

VVVV

giphy.gif

"MAXEEEEEEMIIIIIZZZZZZZZEEEE IT!!!!!!"

F*ck Calvin Pryor for being an awful, diva, sh*t safety, and f*ck that scarecrow looking sh*tbag named John Idzik for taking him over Bridgewater, Carr, or my guys Brandin Cooks/Allen Robinson (who I personally had graded as a 1st rounder).

Addition by subtraction? Who knows. I guess it isn't a bad move as Pryor really wasn't going to fit in to their plans in the first place judging by the fact they didn't pick up his contract. Davis? He does provide depth at a need position but what kind of depth? The guy couldn't cover a book much less an NFL player. Who knows? I am about to give-up trying to figure out the direction of this team. It just doesn't make sense some of these moves. I don't think they do either. Seems like their making moves just to make moves.

6 minutes ago, JetFaninMI said:

Addition by subtraction? Who knows. I guess it isn't a bad move as Pryor really wasn't going to fit in to their plans in the first place judging by the fact they didn't pick up his contract. Davis? He does provide depth at a need position but what kind of depth? The guy couldn't cover a book much less an NFL player. Who knows? I am about to give-up trying to figure out the direction of this team. It just doesn't make sense some of these moves. I don't think they do either. Seems like their making moves just to make moves.

There was nothing of value to get in return for Calvin (if anything at all), so they dumped the player and the salary on someone else who thinks they can fix him.  In return they got a player who can be decent depth or who can, at worst, be cut for about 2mil in savings.  This is quite literally a "please take him off our hands" type of deal that happens in every sport, despite what the village idiots here would have you believe.

4 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

You said 40-50% of snaps qualifies as a "hit" on a draft pick. Then you said 1 player fits that criteria. 

You're wrong. And you are wrong after having re-calibrated the argument with a metric that should have - in theory - vetted your initial gripe.

Like I said, I'm not even defending Mac here. I just picking on your adolescent rantings and making you look stupid, for sport really. It's not like I'm shedding light on something we don't all know.

It's actually pretty impressive that, for the most part, you don't have to do anything in order to do this.  Every keystroke just makes it easy for everyone see.

Jay Cutler? 

Top. 

F*cking.

Kek.

Bottom line for me is Calvin Pryor's attitude has resulted in this trade. It was the final straw.

He was cheap this year and really should have been fine as a backup on that money. For them to trade him anyway says they just want his attitude out of the locker room.

See, people get all caught up on where someone was drafted. Sometimes you just have to look at who you have on the roster regardless of how they got there and what they offer. 

59 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Well WOW. This changes everything. 

Actually it does.  it changes from the fact that they were going to cut a bad player, and get nothing, to they get something.  Not much but they get a Meh player, for a bad player, and get almost $2 M back if the cut Davis

10 minutes ago, The Walrus said:

Bottom line for me is Calvin Pryor's attitude has resulted in this trade. It was the final straw.

He was cheap this year and really should have been fine as a backup on that money. For them to trade him anyway says they just want his attitude out of the locker room.

See, people get all caught up on where someone was drafted. Sometimes you just have to look at who you have on the roster regardless of how they got there and what they offer. 

Thank you... thank you ...thank you..

This is obvious to anyone paying attention.  

I am still waiting for someone to give us a realistic alternative to the deal Mac struck for a player the Jets wanted off the team yesterday and who had been historically under performing.

7 minutes ago, flgreen said:

Actually it does.  it changes from the fact that they were going to cut a bad player, and get nothing, to they get something.  Not much but they get a Meh player, for a bad player, and get almost $2 M back if the cut Davis

Right. But. What about "MaxEeMiZiNg VaLuE"?

Did we maxeemize?  I'm not sure if we maxeemized.  Gotta always maxeemize.  Even with awful, bad attitude, diva, safeties.

3 hours ago, Dcat said:

it's bad to bottle up your feelings.  It's good to express them.  And I know for a fact, that Jets representatives read these forums and report back to the F.O. So they might actually care.  They need to hear it.  If you don't want to hear it while this team sucks, then it's you who shouldn't visit here not the ones expressing how they feel and how they think. Really, there is no way to exonerate the Jets brass over the past 20 years.  None.  No excuses.  Woody is a BAD owner.  He is clueless about management. His management hierarchy has failed over and over again yet he doesn't change it.  There's a reason why he was never allowed to touch anything important at J & J, and only manage charities.  He is incompetent.  Instead of attacking the victims (the fans) attack the cause of the problem.  

it remains to be seen if it was just talk but it looks like he is changing it this year.  He stated that they are doing it different this year, something they never tried before, going with young players. If that is the case I'm sure he gave bowles and mac assurances that their jobs did not hinge on making the playoffs. Hopefully he meant it and Bowles is smart enough to do it right. That part is a little iffy, but you never know.  Maybe both the owner and coach can change.

Archived