Demario Davis 2.0: Lower expectations, no Ray Lewis comparisons

Gas2No99

Amazing NYCFC comeback to win 2-1 when down 1-0 w/10 mins left to play on a GORGEOUS day in Yankee stadium. And now UEFA Champs tied 1-1at the HALF!!!!

Anyways  . . . . back to da Jets:

Demario Davis 2.0: Lower expectations, no Ray Lewis comparisons

r214969_1296x518_5-2.jpg&w=768&h=307&sca

The New York Jets made news Thursday by trading Calvin Pryor for a familiar face, Demario Davis. Our question of the week focuses on Davis and his potential role.

@RichCimini: I don't remember anybody mentioning tight-end coverage when the Jets drafted Davis in 2012. They picked him to be a weak-inside linebacker, and that's what he was from 2013 to 2015. I also remember Rex Ryan comparing Davis' leadership skills to those of Ray Lewis, an absurdly exaggerated comment.And now? Yes, there was a cap-related element to the trade. None of Davis' $3.7 million salary is guaranteed, meaning the Jets can cut him before the season with no cap hit whatsoever. I can tell you one thing: If Davis makes the team, it won't be at $3.7 million. That's too much money for a backup. My hunch is, if the Jets really want to keep him around, they'd ask him to take a pay cut.

The Jets will let this play out over the next three months and see what happens. Ideally, Davis could be the No. 3 inside linebacker, coming off the bench to spell David Harris and Darron Lee. He could reprise the Erin Henderson role from 2015, which would be ironic because it was Davis who lost playing time when Todd Bowles started rotating Henderson into the lineup.

Davis is solid insurance in case something happens to Harris, who at 33 isn't getting any younger. He also will provide competition for Lee, who still hasn't reached his potential. Maybe Bowles will use them in a three-linebacker rotation to keep everybody fresh. If the Jets are impressed by Davis, 28, maybe they re-sign him to replace Harris in 2018.

The bottom line is this could go in a number of different directions. It's called flexibility, and that's a good thing. There's also a comfort level because this coaching staff knows the player's strengths and weaknesses. They also know he's a solid guy in the locker room.

I find it interesting the Cleveland Browns gave up on him after a year. On paper, Davis was solid (99 tackles, two sacks) but maybe his numbers didn't impress the analytics people in the front office. His playing time declined late in the year and the Browns finished 31st in run defense, so there's that. He was penciled in to start this season at middle linebacker, but he apparently wasn't seen as a good fit under new defensive coordinator Gregg Williams.

The Jets know exactly what they're getting, so their expectations aren't through the roof. In a way, Davis was a means to an end, and their goal was to find a team willing to take on Pryor's guaranteed salary. If they get production on the field, it's a bonus.

Sidebar.......

This article points out why Davis is so disdained by Jets fans out here.  When Rex Ryan said he was Ray Lewis in any category he set that young man up for disappointment and heartache because he was never going to be Ray Lewis.   

2 hours ago, Gas2No99 said:

The Jets know exactly what they're getting, so their expectations aren't through the roof. In a way, Davis was a means to an end, and their goal was to find a team willing to take on Pryor's guaranteed salary. If they get production on the field, it's a bonus.

Yeah baby.

5 hours ago, Charlie Brown said:

Sidebar.......

This article points out why Davis is so disdained by Jets fans out here.  When Rex Ryan said he was Ray Lewis in any category he set that young man up for disappointment and heartache because he was never going to be Ray Lewis.   

Yes, because Jets fans expected a third round LB to be Ray Lewis.

No, the reason Davis was so disdained by (some) fans is because he was a pretty high draft pick and a fantastic athlete who turned out to be a JAG.  

1 hour ago, rangerous said:

i don't see what the uproar os over.  pryor was a punk who was one dimensional. davis at least had 99 tackles for the browns and that's not bad.  he'l mos likely be cut and then re-signed at a lower number.

I don't think anyone is that upset (given they cut him and don't end up keeping him at his current hit thus making a classic mac move). I think the surrealism that the Jets traded *FOR* Demario Davis is crazy (even if it is a good move). 

I don't think anyone is that upset (given they cut him and don't end up keeping him at his current hit thus making a classic mac move). I think the surrealism that the Jets traded *FOR* Demario Davis is crazy (even if it is a good move). 

i agreed ... but i think it could a great pickup ... time will tell. The secondary that will be fielded behind him will be far different this time around.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

11 hours ago, jeremy2020 said:

i guess so.  i also think that most fans here are very focused on the jets and don't necessarily see what teams do with their players.  i hope this isn't a "same old jets" type move.

20 minutes ago, section314 said:

Exactly, we got something for a guy we would have released in a few days.

Its even better than that.  Had he been released, the Jets would have eaten his entire salary in cash and against the cap.  The Jets are lucky that they did not have to give the Browns another player or draft pick to take Pryor (just like the Osweiler situation).

If a team offered a bag of donuts for Richardson, the Jets should take that deal too.

1 minute ago, varjet said:

Its even better than that.  Had he been released, the Jets would have eaten his entire salary in cash and against the cap.  The Jets are lucky that they did not have to give the Browns another player or draft pick to take Pryor (just like the Osweiler situation).

If a team offered a bag of donuts for Richardson, the Jets should take that deal too.

One big difference....Sheldon is a damn good player, Pryor stinks. Hear what you are saying, though.:D

6 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Hold up... as I'm reading this, am I right in reaching the conclusion that there's at least 1 person in this world that's willing to defend Calvin Pryor's atrocious play at Safety?

Am I really reading an attempt to sanitize safety play that could only be compared to a fecal stained toilet seat?

Shaq-points-laughs-and-leaves-press-conf

I see what you're doing, y'all think y'all slick lol... Buncha funny @ss mofos around here SMH

10 hours ago, glenn31 said:

Hold up... as I'm reading this, am I right in reaching the conclusion that there's at least 1 person in this world that's willing to defend Calvin Pryor's atrocious play at Safety?

Am I really reading an attempt to sanitize safety play that could only be compared to a fecal stained toilet seat?

Shaq-points-laughs-and-leaves-press-conf

I see what you're doing, y'all think y'all slick lol... Buncha funny @ss mofos around here SMH

Pryor isn't good, but there were obviously worse on the roster.

... Well the expectations just got raised.

Now that Harris is gone Davis is pretty much the first option at MIKE LBer and has to fill the gap Harris left. So, does anybody believe he can do it? I've got my doubts, Davis has already failed in this Defense in the adjacent ILB spot now held by Lee and while I suppose he's got the size for it and some better speed than 52, I don't know if he can Qb the D the way Harris could. This is uncharted territory for him, he knows the D but will have to assume a whole different role in it fast.

Archived