Time for Gang Green to Start Worrying About Darron Lee?

JetNation

Darron-Lee.jpg?fit=1730%2C1433

By Glenn Naughton

When the New York Jets chose Ohio State linebacker Darron Lee in the first round of the 2016 NFL draft, there were plenty of fans who questioned the wisdom of the pick, based primarily on Lee’s size (6′ 1′ 232) and where the Jets would be able to fit him in to Todd Bowles’ scheme.

There were seemingly no concerns about Lee’s attitude or off-field conduct.  It was all about football.  However, it may be time to be more worried about Darron Lee the person, than Darron Lee, the player.  That is, of course, if Lee’s most recent eyebrow raising incident did in fact unfold as described by a fellow attendee at the Governers Ball Music Festival yesterday.

Lee was said to be seen screaming at and “manhandling” a woman at the event before “squaring up and threatening” teammate Leonard Williams (referred to as “big guy” in tweets) who had placed himself between Lee and the woman to bring an end to the spat.

Williams responded by grabbing Lee and carrying him away from the woman whom he reportedly tried to grab and pull away with him, as shown in the video below.

Lenoard Williams…Pro Bowl babysitter?

Lee having to be removed by Williams after being ushered away from the woman a first time makes this the second time this offseason that his conduct could be put under the microscope in questioning his maturity.  The first being a bar fight in which Lee said he was attacked while minding his own business.  Even giving him the benefit of the doubt in that case, it appears the second one is a bad look and one that brings the legitimacy of the first altercation in to question.

Throw in a couple of bizarre twitter meltdowns that led to Lee deleting his entire history and Jets fans are left wondering if what you see is what you get with Lee, or if sometime in the distant future, we’ll be able to look back at a great player who, as a 23-year old kid, hit a few off-field speed bumps in the early stages of his career.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
HEdQ8ID58wM

Click here to read the full story...

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Leo's maturity in this situation can't be overstated.  If he had reacted differently, or indifferently, the headline/story here could have easily been.

1) Jets players brawl with each other at concert

or

2) Jets' Darron Lee assaults woman at concert

I think the day he hired his Mom as his agent, should have given everyone some pause.

Then when he went on twitter and claimed that someone jumped him outside of a Sport bar and he did not retaliate (which is ironic considering the recent news) should have made for some questions.

And then, when he went to twitter and told white people that they dont know nay nay and that white people dont battle adversity, they should have hired a body guard to keep Darron from being Darron.

So yes, they should be very concerned because this kid is all sorts of ****ed up in the head. 

22 minutes ago, JiF said:

I think the day he hired his Mom as his agent, should have given everyone some pause.

Then when he went on twitter and claimed that someone jumped him outside of a Sport bar and he did not retaliate (which is ironic considering the recent news) should have made for some questions.

And then, when he went to twitter and told white people that they dont know nay nay and that white people dont battle adversity, they should have hired a body guard to keep Darron from being Darron.

So yes, they should be very concerned because this kid is all sorts of ****ed up in the head. 

He also went on twitter after the Gareon Conley rape accusation and said that all women are stupid, then he deleted the tweet when Kyle from the AFC East Bro's podcast posted a gif of Lee getting blown up by Chris Hogan and asked if he could please do it again.

Just now, AFJF said:

He also went on twitter after the Gareon Conley rape accusation and said that all women are stupid, then he deleted the tweet when Kyle from the AFC East Bro's podcast posted a gif of Lee getting blown up by Chris Hogan and asked if he could please do it again.

So he hates all women and white people.  Solid.  Seems like the type of high character guy you want around during the the rebuild part 2.; character and chemistry.

Maybe they traded for Demario to show him the road to Jesus.  

39 minutes ago, Jet Life said:

Lee is head case and he stinks. Make Leo captain and extend him now 

I think the team tries to lock Leo up long-term after this season.  

Want to give Lee the benefit of the doubt, but I think he's bonkers.

34 minutes ago, AFJF said:

I think the team tries to lock Leo up long-term after this season.  

Want to give Lee the benefit of the doubt, but I think he's bonkers.

What makes you think that?  Has Mac resigned anyone early yet? 

Lee is ****ed up in the head, no doubt about it. 

None of this is good. But when you consider the s**t that goes on in the personal lives of NFL players. Including illegal activity- drugs, guns, domestic violence- but also twitter rants, beefs, etc,etc. The Jets don't need to 'worry' that much about D.Lee until he starts to regress as a player, becomes a true locker room cancer (which he is not- yet), or starts getting suspended.   

1 hour ago, jeremy2020 said:

Don't worry guys, he counts as a drafted player still on the roster so Mac can count the number of crap players he's drafted that are on the roster.

Lee as a player? I think most guys should get more than one season to show whether they belong or not, but to each his own.

1 hour ago, jeremy2020 said:

Don't worry guys, he counts as a drafted player still on the roster so Mac can count the number of crap players he's drafted that are on the roster.

If you want to poke at Mac for drafting a guy in the 1st round that had an altercation that's fine, but then give him extra points as well for drafting another 1st rounder that stepped in and handled the situation without escalating it. fair is fair...

FYI - i am not condoning the reprehensible behavior of Lee...

I bet he was too short to hit that woman in the first place. 

As long as Macc keeps hitting homeruns on #6 overall picks, its all good. At the rate he's going, he'll get plenty of #6 overalls. 

5 hours ago, Jetmech said:

Seems to me he duped everyone at the combine.
I'm curious if this guy had any of this going on during college?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Teams spend millions on Scouting Departments so they don't get duped at combines and pro days.

Yet the Jets continue to get duped on workout wonders.

We do have to remember that these guys are overgrown children.   I hope this is a wake up call for Lee, because if he has another incident, it is going to be even worse from him.

He and Trump also need to log off twitter.   I do not even have it.  In my business, nothing good can come from it.

Teams spend millions on Scouting Departments so they don't get duped at combines and pro days.
We do have to remember that these guys are overgrown children.   I hope this is a wake up call for Lee, because if he has another incident, it is going to be even worse from him.
He and Trump also need to log off twitter.   I do not even have it.  In my business, nothing good can come from it.

Well it sure looks like he duped the Jets. This guy was a "high character' guy yet he has been otherwise.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, varjet said:

Some mocks had him as being off the board when the Jets chose.  He was viewed as a legitimate mid/late first round pick.

Performing well at the combine after playing at a high level in college doesn't make somebody a workout wonder.  

The guy, as much of a Dbag as he appears to be, was a disruptive player for a major program with 27 TFL's and 11 sacks in 2 collegiate seasons.

DRAFT ANALYSIS:

"He's today's NFL outside linebacker. He ran a 4.47 40 at 232 pounds. He's a sideline-to-sideline, three-down linebacker. His weakness is if you cover him up against a big body, he will struggle." -- Mike Mayock

• 6'1"HEIGHT
  • 33 1/4"ARM LENGTH
  • 232LBS.WEIGHT
  • 9 3/4"HANDS

OVERVIEW

Lee's never been short on confidence, proclaiming to teammates that he was the one to take over for 2014 first-round pick Ryan Shazier in the Buckeyes' defense -- even though he was only a year removed from starring as a quarterback and cornerback in high school. He wound up starting all 15 games in that redshirt freshman year for the national champion Buckeyes, earning multiple Freshman All-American accolades with 81 tackles, 16.5 tackles for loss and 7.5 sacks. Lee truly hit the national stage by terrorizing Alabama in the Sugar Bowl, receiving Defensive MVP honors with seven tackles, three for loss, and two sacks. His play as a sophomore was just as good, tracking down ball carriers 66 times, 11 for a loss and 4.5 sacks on his way to second-team All-Big Ten accolades from league coaches (third team media).

ANALYSIS

STRENGTHS

Quick to diagnose and flow to the ball. Has unusual ability to find the most efficient routes to the ball. Has athleticism and flexibility to contort his body and succeed through difficult tackle angles. Plays with loose hips, quick feet and desired agility of an NFL weak-side linebacker. Former high school quarterback with the change of direction and speed to be a rangy playmaker. Comfortable in space and excels there. Has plus man cover talent. Willing to stand in and take on blockers with a leveraged strike if his gap is being threatened. Capable gap blitzer with ability to get skinny through the holes.

WEAKNESSES

Smallish linebacker. Play strength doesn't come close to matching puffed up listed weight. Balance issues at point of attack could plague him over his NFL career. Has the body type of a big safety. Tape shows few authoritative tackles. Involved in too many arm and shoestring tackles. Comes flying in and fails to come to balance at times. Charged with 21 missed and five broken tackles over the last two seasons. Always at size disadvantage and will have to learn to slip more blocks. Can get better at finding targets in zone coverage.

DRAFT PROJECTION

Round 1

SOURCES TELL US

"Don't get overly excited about Ragland making a lot of plays behind those tackles at Alabama. It won't be that way in the pros. Lee had talent on his defense too, but he's a natural three-down player who can cover and blitz. He's a much better playmaker than Ragland." -- AFC executive

NFL COMPARISON

Zach Brown

BOTTOM LINE

Lee's level of NFL success might very well be tied to scheme fit and his ability to add more muscle to his frame. His athletic traits and ability to make plays should make him a starter, but he won't unlock his full potential unless he gets strong enough to handle the rigors of an NFL linebacker.

6 hours ago, JiF said:

So he hates all women and white people.  Solid.  Seems like the type of high character guy you want around during the the rebuild part 2.; character and chemistry.

Maybe they traded for Demario to show him the road to Jesus.  

No,don't give him that much credit, it is  just 1. chicks who won't go home with him and 2. white guys working at Chipotle (and their great sin is not giving him double steak nor free guac) . 

8 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Some mocks had him as being off the board when the Jets chose.  He was viewed as a legitimate mid/late first round pick.

Performing well at the combine after playing at a high level in college doesn't make somebody a workout wonder.  

The guy, as much of a Dbag as he appears to be, was a disruptive player for a major program with 27 TFL's and 11 sacks in 2 collegiate seasons.

DRAFT ANALYSIS:

"He's today's NFL outside linebacker. He ran a 4.47 40 at 232 pounds. He's a sideline-to-sideline, three-down linebacker. His weakness is if you cover him up against a big body, he will struggle." -- Mike Mayock

• 6'1"HEIGHT
  • 33 1/4"ARM LENGTH
  • 232LBS.WEIGHT
  • 9 3/4"HANDS

OVERVIEW

Lee's never been short on confidence, proclaiming to teammates that he was the one to take over for 2014 first-round pick Ryan Shazier in the Buckeyes' defense -- even though he was only a year removed from starring as a quarterback and cornerback in high school. He wound up starting all 15 games in that redshirt freshman year for the national champion Buckeyes, earning multiple Freshman All-American accolades with 81 tackles, 16.5 tackles for loss and 7.5 sacks. Lee truly hit the national stage by terrorizing Alabama in the Sugar Bowl, receiving Defensive MVP honors with seven tackles, three for loss, and two sacks. His play as a sophomore was just as good, tracking down ball carriers 66 times, 11 for a loss and 4.5 sacks on his way to second-team All-Big Ten accolades from league coaches (third team media).

ANALYSIS

STRENGTHS

Quick to diagnose and flow to the ball. Has unusual ability to find the most efficient routes to the ball. Has athleticism and flexibility to contort his body and succeed through difficult tackle angles. Plays with loose hips, quick feet and desired agility of an NFL weak-side linebacker. Former high school quarterback with the change of direction and speed to be a rangy playmaker. Comfortable in space and excels there. Has plus man cover talent. Willing to stand in and take on blockers with a leveraged strike if his gap is being threatened. Capable gap blitzer with ability to get skinny through the holes.

WEAKNESSES

Smallish linebacker. Play strength doesn't come close to matching puffed up listed weight. Balance issues at point of attack could plague him over his NFL career. Has the body type of a big safety. Tape shows few authoritative tackles. Involved in too many arm and shoestring tackles. Comes flying in and fails to come to balance at times. Charged with 21 missed and five broken tackles over the last two seasons. Always at size disadvantage and will have to learn to slip more blocks. Can get better at finding targets in zone coverage.

DRAFT PROJECTION

Round 1

SOURCES TELL US

"Don't get overly excited about Ragland making a lot of plays behind those tackles at Alabama. It won't be that way in the pros. Lee had talent on his defense too, but he's a natural three-down player who can cover and blitz. He's a much better playmaker than Ragland." -- AFC executive 

NFL COMPARISON

Zach Brown

BOTTOM LINE

Lee's level of NFL success might very well be tied to scheme fit and his ability to add more muscle to his frame. His athletic traits and ability to make plays should make him a starter, but he won't unlock his full potential unless he gets strong enough to handle the rigors of an NFL linebacker.

Bold that which jumps out

Archived