Jets hire Matt Bazirgan to be new college scouting director: sauces

Gas2No99

Jets hire Matt Bazirgan to be new college scouting director: sources

Mike Maccagnan (pictured) promoted Matt Bazirgan to the pro personnel director role two years ago.

The Jets stayed in-house to land their next college scouting director.

Director of Pro Personnel Matt Bazirgan will become the Jets’ new director of college scouting, according to sources. Bazirgan replaces Rex Hogan, who took a front office position with the Colts last month.

Bazirgan has been with the Jets since 2004 when he served as an area scout. He was promoted to assistant pro personnel director by John Idzik in 2013. Mike Maccagnan moved Bazirgan to the pro personnel director role two years ago.

uKVLPlwF_400x400.jpg

• West Coast Scouting Supervisor

New York Jets
     –   (3 years)

Covered primary area colleges in the states of: Colorado, Utah, Wyoming, Nebraska, Kansas, Oklahoma, Arkansas. Covered crosscheck (secondary) states of: Texas, Oregon, Washington, California, Nevada, Idaho, Montana, South Dakota, Iowa, Wisconsin, and Louisiana.

So he scouted the Pac 10 and Big 12 (Enunwa, Marcus Williams, Petty, would've seen Chad Hansen his freshman year at Idaho.)

27 minutes ago, Gas2No99 said:

Jets hire Matt Bazirgan to be new college scouting director: sources

Mike Maccagnan (pictured) promoted Matt Bazirgan to the pro personnel director role two years ago.

The Jets stayed in-house to land their next college scouting director.

Director of Pro Personnel Matt Bazirgan will become the Jets’ new director of college scouting,

I got super excited, all ready to check out the scouting prowess of the team we poached him from....

28 minutes ago, Gas2No99 said:

Bazirgan has been with the Jets since 2004 when he served as an area scout. He was promoted to assistant pro personnel director by John Idzik in 2013. Mike Maccagnan moved Bazirgan to the pro personnel director role two years ago.

All excitement went away, because he was part of the gang that drafted Calvin Pryor, Jalen Saunders, Shaq Evans, Jace Amaro?  How does he still have a job?  I thought we cleaned house afterwards.  

9 minutes ago, win4ever said:

I got super excited, all ready to check out the scouting prowess of the team we poached him from....

All excitement went away, because he was part of the gang that drafted Calvin Pryor, Jalen Saunders, Shaq Evans, Jace Amaro?  How does he still have a job?  I thought we cleaned house afterwards.  

He was pro personnel director.  Think mini-draft.  He was probably considerably less involved in drafting those guys than the rest of the front office.  Maccagnan did fire Idzik's pro personnel director right after the draft in 2015

19 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

He was pro personnel director.  Think mini-draft.  He was probably considerably less involved in drafting those guys than the rest of the front office.  Maccagnan did fire Idzik's pro personnel director right after the draft in 2015

Correct.

He was promoted to replace Brendan Prophett as the Pro personnel director and now has received another promotion. 

28 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

He's tainted!  Anyone in that war room needs to be quarantined and sent to Mars!!

Although I guess I can rant about him being part of the Vick, Chris Johnson, Re-signing Cumberland, Giacaminni, and Dimitri Patterson disaster, lol.  Although, I thought the Decker signing was good. 

Come to think of it, has any GM ever made as many mistakes as Idzik in that '14 off season? I like his method of approach, but he was sky diving with an umbrella.  

I mean, just as a matter of course, wouldn't you actively seek the best people from around the league to fill these personnel slots? These guys make or break the careers of 98% of people in the building. Hogan left and you had a relatively high-level open position that you could fill with someone like Scot McLoughan or John Dorsey, or someone from any team that drafts a sh*t-ton better than the Jets have over the past decade. But they promote a dude from within? 

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I mean, just as a matter of course, wouldn't you actively seek the best people from around the league to fill these personnel slots? These guys make or break the careers of 98% of people in the building. Hogan left and you had a relatively high-level open position that you could fill with someone like Scot McLoughan or John Dorsey, or someone from any team that drafts a sh*t-ton better than the Jets have over the past decade. But they promote a dude from within? 

Maccagnan is playing 4D chess

12 hours ago, T0mShane said:

What makes you think either of those guys would come here to work under Mac?

If anything, you bring them in to run the whole operation once Mac is fired in January.

29 minutes ago, JiF said:

I've always wanted to be a Director of Sauces. I love sauces.  Sauces makes things taste good and I like that.

The title made me click on the link hoping for recipes for food...not disasters.

Fellas, I believe it is time we start believing in our team. With this move, we are destined to be the best! I sense Super Bowls!

Wait, we still have Mac n Swiss Cheese as our GM/HC combo. Never mind. 

17 hours ago, T0mShane said:

You need to hire someone to keep Maccagnan from drafting a corner at #3.

That would fill a need. More likely, it'll be to keep him from drafting another DL or ILB. Since he loves to quadruple-down on strengths.

"We invested significant resources into the safety position and we learned a lesson from that. The more high round picks you throw at a position the better. That's why we went Fullback at #3 because fullback contracts are no where near players drafted at that position. Given that a full back can, in theory, run, catch and block that should give out new acquisition from the trade with the St. Lucie Mets, Tim Tebow, the best chance to succeed in our offense." ~ Maccagnan, April 2018

22 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

That would fill a need. More likely, it'll be to keep him from drafting another DL or ILB. Since he loves to quadruple-down on strengths.

I would have gone the other way with this. More like:

You can't really blame him if the CB was ranked as the BAP at that point in the draft. We missed out on Darnold, and Kiper had Rosen ranked only like 7th-best overall prospect. Plus Hackenberg looked like he was really starting to turn the corner in that week 17 game.

But your answer was still acceptable, and quite possibly more accurate.

11 hours ago, sourceworx said:

What makes you think either of those guys would come here to work under Mac?

If anything, you bring them in to run the whole operation once Mac is fired in January.

This would be my pitch, if I owned the Jets:

"Hi John. I was just talking to Mike Maccagnan and we agreed that bringing in someone of your caliber--with your resume and credentials--to help us rebuild this thing would be a great idea! We're gonna have a rough one, but we're gonna get a bunch of high picks to go along with $80 mil in cap space. Let me and Mike give you $200k for one year of that magic eye you got and we'll talk again in 2018 about bigger and better opportunities here."

Then I'd hang up the phone and throw the stack of cashed Brandon Marshall, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Eric Decker, Darrelle Revis, and Marcus Gilchrist paychecks dead into Maccagnan's face and say, "make it work, bitch."

Archived