Jon Gruden "preparing to coach again"

T0mShane

22 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Horsebleep. Dumbest cliche that gets thrown around all the time. There are exactly 32 head coach positions in the entire world, and we are in NY, and we can throw money at it so we can get who we want. We just have an idiot owner who wants a Parcells clone in a completely different NFL>

Literally the only time this ever happened was with Parcells who took the job here mostly to troll Kraft. Then he fled, then Belichick fled, then you had a string of C-list castoffs, then Bowles. 

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

10 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Literally the only time this ever happened was with Parcells who took the job here mostly to troll Kraft. Then he fled, then Belichick fled, then you had a string of C-list castoffs, then Bowles. 

We are flying in the dark here.   We don't know how Bowles is going to coach this year.

We as fans saw year 1 and said, OK, can improve.

We saw year 2 and saw a very poorly coached team in all aspects-strategy, game management, team discipline, culture.  

Bowles has alot of weight in the Draft Room, and he got his 2 safeties, but after the draft there was a realization at One Jets Drive that led to an even deeper cut.  So everyone knows that Bowles was dealt a a bad hand.  But we will know a team with good coaching, even if bad, when we see it.  No one is talking yet about firing Hue Jackson after last year.   If the Jets in 2017 look how they were coached in 2016, Bowles will not survive and in that situation i think the NFL does not hold it against Woody and will see that he fired someone who was not at this time an acceptable coach.  If the Jets, even with a poor record, play hard and well-coached, Woody will have a hard time firing Bowles.

i think in the grand scheme of things it is very important for Macc that his 2016 and 2017 drafts look good.   His drafting is looking suspect to me (the only way to explain the state of the roster), but my guess is that he had help from others in the draft room.  The Jets need a Football Czar who can stitch it all together.  Dorsey and Gettleman were fired because they could not do that, and they are a heck of alot better than Mac is.  i think one of them paired with Mac could be a big improvement.

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

If they fired Bowles, who seems to be very well respected around the league, after three years, after tanking his roster, after drafting Christian Hackenberg and Darron Lee and two safeties for him, while keeping Mike Maccagnan, you couldn't get a decent candidate to even take your phone call. 

This is the problem with your owner being a clown, ambassadorship or not. The Rooneys or Maras or any number of other respected owners can have the inquiry made informally("John, would you be interested? Hypothetical/ What will it take?"), Woody Johnson has to hire a "search firm". Once you take  corporate that step, it's not happening. This franchise under this buffoon is a joke. It isn't a question of money because he will on Day 1 be the highest paid coach anyway. Question is what does he want regarding control and decision making. 

Gruden is overrated.  He praises to the sky QBs that go on to become failures.  I don't want him here.  I wish I had some of what you guys are smoking.  He is not our savior.  Besides he's not leaving his cushy broadcast just for one where he has to put in ungodly hours and take all the crap from all the sides all the time.  

1 hour ago, Lupz27 said:

Jon Gruden is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO overrated as a HC IMO, he won with someone else's roster, and the minute he built his own the team went down the tubes, if your going to use the same argument about Rex only winning with Mangini's roster then the same must apply to Gruden.

Guy won a Super Bowl with Brad Johnson as his QB. 

1 hour ago, Lupz27 said:

Jon Gruden is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO overrated as a HC IMO, he won with someone else's roster, and the minute he built his own the team went down the tubes, if your going to use the same argument about Rex only winning with Mangini's roster then the same must apply to Gruden.

100% correct.    why would the Jets want J Gruden .  The guy has never developed a young Qb in his life time as head coach.( tried to convince the Raiders to draft Johnny Manziel over Derek Carr) .       I don't think you want him picking your next Qb.

Gruden prefers old veterans to young players every time.  He has the most boring offense around. (Plays with two Te formation about 85 % of the time).    

The Jets want a coach they should over pay for one of the Harbaughs .   Hiring J Gruden and letting him buy the groceries would be the biggest mistake the Jets organization ever made.

13 minutes ago, varjet said:

We are flying in the dark here.   We don't know how Bowles is going to coach this year.

We as fans saw year 1 and said, OK, can improve.

We saw year 2 and saw a very poorly coached team in all aspects-strategy, game management, team discipline, culture.  

Bowles has alot of weight in the Draft Room, and he got his 2 safeties, but after the draft there was a realization at One Jets Drive that led to an even deeper cut.  So everyone knows that Bowles was dealt a a bad hand.  But we will know a team with good coaching, even if bad, when we see it.  No one is talking yet about firing Hue Jackson after last year.   If the Jets in 2017 look how they were coached in 2016, Bowles will not survive and in that situation i think the NFL does not hold it against Woody and will see that he fired someone who was not at this time an acceptable coach.  If the Jets, even with a poor record, play hard and well-coached, Woody will have a hard time firing Bowles.

i think in the grand scheme of things it is very important for Macc that his 2016 and 2017 drafts look good.   His drafting is looking suspect to me (the only way to explain the state of the roster), but my guess is that he had help from others in the draft room.  The Jets need a Football Czar who can stitch it all together.  Dorsey and Gettleman were fired because they could not do that, and they are a heck of alot better than Mac is.  i think one of them paired with Mac could be a big improvement.

I was optimistic about Bowles, but there were immediate red flags with the way he handled his veterans (especially Cromartie) which led to guys like Mo and Sheldon getting away with murder, which led to the team outright quitting on him. I don't think you can just put that kind of thing back into the bottle, because there's already blood in the water and the players know that nobody is in charge of the team. 

Macc, all things considered, has created a team with no future. Optimistically, the team is a minimum two years away from competing and Macc will be in Year five of his regime with nothing on his resume but a couple of defensive players and a bunch of burned free agent cash.

16 minutes ago, Bugg said:

This is the problem with your owner being a clown, ambassadorship or not. The Rooneys or Maras or any number of other respected owners can have the inquiry made informally("John, would you be interested? Hypothetical/ What will it take?"), Woody Johnson has to hire a "search firm". Once you take  corporate that step, it's not happening. This franchise under this buffoon is a joke. It isn't a question of money because he will on Day 1 be the highest paid coach anyway. Question is what does he want regarding control and decision making. 

No question, and if Woody were to try for Gruden and miss, what's plan b? Mike Shanahan? 

4 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I was optimistic about Bowles, but there were immediate red flags with the way he handled his veterans (especially Cromartie) which led to guys like Mo and Sheldon getting away with murder, which led to the team outright quitting on him. I don't think you can just put that kind of thing back into the bottle, because there's already blood in the water and the players know that nobody is in charge of the team. 

Macc, all things considered, has created a team with no future. Optimistically, the team is a minimum two years away from competing and Macc will be in Year five of his regime with nothing on his resume but a couple of defensive players and a bunch of burned free agent cash.

Macc can still save his own ass but he needs to get a true franchise QB in next year's draft and ditch Bowles for an offensive-minded head coach who can work with the QB.

43 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

1zbrnfk.gif

Feels almost inevitable we will get stuck with the guy in the red t top Iroc. Not saying it's even a bad thing. At least he has a clue how an NFL offense works, which will be a new experience. Could not be any worse than the incumbent. 

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

We're here because the organization is a toxic cesspool and everyone in the league knows it. We have poor drafts because our GMs were people no one else wanted to hire, and the coaches were much the same. Herm was a DB coach. Mangini wasn't on anyone's short list. Rex was a known lout who Ozzie Newsome happily passed over for the Ravens job. Bowles was the most desireable of all of them, and he sucks. 

Can you and JoeWilly12 do a podcast together? Please? Have Phil fire whoever is doing it now for a week. One show, that's all I ask.

7 minutes ago, Bugg said:

Feels almost inevitable we will get stuck with the guy in the red t top Iroc. Not saying it's even a bad thing. At least he has a clue how an NFL offense works, which will be a new experience. Could not be any worse than the incumbent. 

The Jets have a history of jumping back and forth between clueless introverted churls to psychopath Biffs. Parcells -> Groh -> Herm -> Mangini -> Rex -> Bowles -> ? Haley seems to be the best fit in that pattern, and the fact that he's got a ****ton of experience is just enough to seduce the Johnsons and distract from him being the Mayor of Crazytown.

6 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

The Jets have a history of jumping back and forth between clueless introverted churls to psychopath Biffs. Parcells -> Groh -> Herm -> Mangini -> Rex -> Bowles -> ? Haley seems to be the best fit in that pattern, and the fact that he's got a ****ton of experience is just enough to seduce the Johnsons and distract from him being the Mayor of Crazytown.

Liked for using the word churls

2 hours ago, johnnysd said:

Horsebleep. Dumbest cliche that gets thrown around all the time. There are exactly 32 head coach positions in the entire world, and we are in NY, and we can throw money at it so we can get who we want. We just have an idiot owner who wants a Parcells clone in a completely different NFL>

Which HC has he hired who is a Parcells clone? 

3 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

If not for the tuck rule BS, he takes two different teams to the SB in consecutive seasons.

The team he won a SB was Dungy's team.  A HOF coach who couldn't get it done with the bucs himself.

2 hours ago, Bugg said:

Guy won a Super Bowl with Brad Johnson as his QB. 

He had a defense that was just as good as the 2000 Ravens, Gruden steals all the lime light for that season, but in fact the Bucs pre Gruden, and his SB year were tops in the NFL almost every year.

4 minutes ago, AFJF said:

If not for the tuck rule BS, he takes two different teams to the SB in consecutive seasons.

The team he won a SB was Dungy's team.  A HOF coach who couldn't get it done with the bucs himself.

If your clamoring for Gruden you might as well also want Brian Billick, they both did the same thing won a SB with a historically great defense, and a power running game with a journeyman QB, and neither ever developed a QB in their life while being offensive HC's riding the coat tails of a defense.

Jon Gruden, he's always seemed to carry like 5 QB's on his Roster. Never impressed by his Offence. Is Life's so bad has a Jets fan, our dream is to have Gruden as HC! 

Basically if the Jets are in a postion to Draft Darnold, we will have quality candidates for the post.

The Nightmare scenario is we win 4-5 games, no shot at a QB in the top 3, and Draft a fooking Corner Back, because we can't even Tank properly.

16 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

If your clamoring for Gruden you might as well also want Brian Billick, they both did the same thing won a SB with a historically great defense, and a power running game with a journeyman QB, and neither ever developed a QB in their life while being offensive HC's riding the coat tails of a defense.

I'm not clamoring for anyone.  I'm stating facts that are impressive achievements for any head coach to have done what Gruden did.

I also disagree on a key point regarding Billick and Gruden.  Gruden had a historically good defense with those Bucs teams, but he also got Brad Johnson to play the best football of his life and throw 22 TD's to 4 INT's IIRC.  Gruden was supposed to be an offensive guy and the improvement the Bucs' offense saw from him to Dungy was huge.

Billick was also an "offensive genius" because he had Chris Carter and Randy Moss in Minnesota, but he had to use his dominant defense to make 13 points stand up and get a win on a seemingly weekly basis.

3 minutes ago, AFJF said:

I'm not clamoring for anyone.  I'm stating facts that are impressive achievements for any head coach to have done what Gruden did.

I also disagree on a key point regarding Billick and Gruden.  Gruden had a historically good defense with those Bucs teams, but he also got Brad Johnson to play the best football of his life and throw 22 TD's to 4 INT's IIRC.  Gruden was supposed to be an offensive guy and the improvement the Bucs' offense saw from him to Dungy was huge.

Billick was also an "offensive genius" because he had Chris Carter and Randy Moss in Minnesota, but he had to use his dominant defense to make 13 points stand up and get a win on a seemingly weekly basis.

The Bucs 2001 team scores 324 points, and the 2002 team scored 346, that's less then 1.5 points per game, meanwhile the 2002 TB Bucs D allowed only 196 Points Against, and 9 defensive TD's cutting Gruden's "huge offensive improvement from Dungy" to 283 points 17.6 ppg.  I'm sorry I can't credit Gruden more then Billick for winning with the 2000 Ravens.

37 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

The Bucs 2001 team scores 324 points, and the 2002 team scored 346, that's less then 1.5 points per game, meanwhile the 2002 TB Bucs D allowed only 196 Points Against, and 9 defensive TD's cutting Gruden's "huge offensive improvement from Dungy" to 283 points 17.6 ppg.  I'm sorry I can't credit Gruden more then Billick for winning with the 2000 Ravens.

You don't have to.  The numbers speak for themselves.

TB beat teams convincingly, while Billick 100% counted on his defense to win him games.

11 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Money talks, so let's do some math: the last three guys to coach the Jets are out of the league and their reputations are so destroyed that their names are used as punchlines.

You can go much farther back then 3..:)

10 hours ago, Gastineau Lives said:

Can you and JoeWilly12 do a podcast together? Please? Have Phil fire whoever is doing it now for a week. One show, that's all I ask.

I would have to say that i would tune in for this.  JW12 can bring his neighbor on as a guest.  would be epic

13 hours ago, T0mShane said:

What's frustrating about this is that it's a move that gets made quietly through networking, starting a long time ago. There's no way Woody can knock on Gruden's door without firing Bowles first, but there's no way he can fire Bowles without first knowing that he can get Gruden. Again, this is where it'd be nice to have the established Football Ops guy who knows someone who knows Gruden, etc etc. Instead, Woody would have to hire Korn Ferry again, or drag Casserly out of the home again, just to get interviews.

Or send Gruden a blank check and this fountain by UPS. Tell him he must sign it today and Corky Johnson will be returning to his original job of inherited wealth enjoyment. 

IMG_3073.PNG

14 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Two things:

1. If you fire Bowles, you're not getting an interview with a credible coaching candidate again.

--BUT--

2. Gruden can be bought and you can let him pick from Darnold or the two Joshes. Maccagnan can go back to being the overpromoted scout he is. 

I disagree with #1 totally, There are a whopping 32 head coaching jobs in this league, NY is a big market staved for a winner, many HC have just enough of that ego that they think they can make it work.  The only way the can't get a coach is if there is multi bidders for the same guy and another team has great player sin place.

Any smart Hc candidate would say, gee what took you so long to fire that bozo.

Archived