Sam Darnold will NOT Be a Top 5 Pick in the next NFL Draft

Warfish

58 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

It's pretty tough to go from being wrong in the OP and then digging a deeper grave months later but, you managed to do so. The suck for sam crowd was correct. By winning 5 games, we lost out on 3 2nd round picks. We gained nothing by winning 5 random games in a lost season. So yeah, we should have sucked for Sam. Luckily, our GM was able to pull off a trade to get us in position to get Sam at 3 because he never would have been available at 6. 

As for being right about Sam not winning the Heisman or the team winning the title, who cares? That was never something any of us "suck for sam" predicted. This is a Jets forum, not a "Who will win College Games/Awards forum." 

As I pointed out, in this thread months ago, Peyton Manning/Brady/Eli Manning/Big Ben/Rodgers/Brees/Wilson never won Heisman Trophies and never won College Championships. It's completely irrelevant to the discussion about Sam as a future great NFL QB. 

The fact that we were able to trade up for Sam clearly shows that we didnt have to purposely suck for an entire season to get him. If Sam is indeed the answer then trading 3 2nd round picks is an "investment"  while at the same time maintaining integrity to fans by not purposely blowing an entire season for a rookie with zero experience, not turning season ticket holders " season ticket investments" into "liabilities"....is in fact a good look. 

The Jets got Darnold and didnt have to tank to do it, this literally proves that the "Suck for Sam" movement was unnecessary. The Colts sucked for Luck, and the Colts have been sucking with Luck because "just having the quarterback" isnt the answer. The Colts went from dominating that division every year to not even being mentioned when talking about who's going to win that division. 

The Buc's sucked for Jameis Winston. You know how many Playoff wins Winston has? The same amount as Playoff appearances....which is zero.

And you dont know if he wouldnt have been available at 6, we've heard Mayfield was definitely going to be available at 6 and he was the first drafted. 

The most ironic of it all is this, You mentioned all of these other QB's such as Peyton, Brady, Eli, Big Ben, Rodgers, Bress and Wilson....yet none of the teams that they play on purposely sucked to get them. The Colts almost chose Leaf if not for a missed interview, Rodgers fell in the draft, Wilson was a 3rd round pick, Brady was a 6th round pick, Ben was the 3rd QB taken in his draft, The Giants traded for Eli Manning etc., etc., etc. 

You dont suck for anyone. The QB's you mentioned proves that you dont have to purposely do that. 

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Warfish said:

Thank you.

No question my guarantee made in September 2017 was wrong. 

Darnold was in fact a top 5 pick, pick #3 as it turns out.  And we did not have to lose out on purpose to get him, we simply sold all our 2nd round picks to get him (and was gifted a lot of luck by the Browns and Giants, thanks to them both).  And Iw as wrong that Macc would, in fact, pick Darnold if he could.

He was not the #1 pick, as I correctly predicted.  Didn't win the Heisman, as I predicted.  Didn't win the National Title (or even come close) as I predicted.  He was not the best QB in college, as I predicted.  He was talked down and lost ground over the course of the draft lead-up, as I predicted.

If folks want to Necro/Hindsight, have at it.  This was in response to the continuous calls to lose 16 games on purpose.  As it turns out, I was correct there too, we won 5, and still got Darnold.  The "Suck for Sam" crowd was wrong.

Let me be clear, I'm glad we got Darnold.  Kid seems like a good kid, with all the potential in the world.  Looks like he'll be a great face of our franchise.

But he hasn't taken a single pro snap as yet, and my concerns with him, i.e. too laid back, too prone to turnovers, too green (lacking enough experience), not a good fit for the NY Media market and their vile loathing of our players, etc. all remain.  Darnold will have to prove those doubts wrong, not me.

I think now that he is a Jet, we all hope any lingering doubts we have about him prove to be wrong.   

2 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

Outside of the guarantee, which came with a disclaimer, you were correct at the time of this writing. He didn't win the Heisman, a National Title or was the best QB in college. 

The guy who was drafted #1 won the Heisman, was the best QB in college and was actually in the playoff competing for that national title. And some of the folks who will come to pile on to the necroing here were probably the same saying that "we could have stayed at 6 if we wanted Mayfield". Boy was that statement wrong. 

You were accurate in your assessment, and I just want you to know that I see through the hindsight/necro bullcrap that you're unfortunately about to entertain because I took the entire writing into consideration....including the small print. 

The two most “often wrong” posters in the history of football message boards. Especially when it comes to quarterbacks. 

4 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

At least I know I still have my fanbase. 

It's all good.  People whose boring, ignored and usually foolish posting have taken it on the chin for years think this is their big moment to get some punches in.  

If this is the best they got, lol, let them enjoy their moment.  I got 18,800 or so more space for Buttfumbles to the OP.  Bring um on!:lol:

27 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

@Warfish, can you please start a thread stating the Jets will NOT draft Nick Bosa in 2019?

?

LOL. Yeah, it's pretty unfair to resurrect old posts with predictions and hang 'em around a guy's neck a year or more later. I'm pretty sure there isn't a poster here who hasn't launched a "prediction" that didn't come true. My self excepted, of course. :)

P.S. Warfish wasn't even that far off. Cut the guy some slack.

52 minutes ago, Warfish said:

We gonna give Macc some head because he picked Darnold now, after the Browns and Ginats handed him a gift on a silver platter?  My retarded Cat woulda picked Darnold at #3.

Except my retarded Cat would have started Petty/Hack in 2017, and we wouldn't have needed to trade up and lose all those 2nd's to be IN that spot to pick Darnold.

But you would've picked Rosen

On 9/25/2017 at 11:53 AM, Warfish said:

I guarantee it*.

Darnold is not as great a college QB as his proponents think, and others have already started to surpass him in hype and attention.

9 TD's and 7 INT's is not greatness at that level.  7 INT's is more than someone supposedly a "generational talent" shouldn't throw at USC in a full season.

Darnold is a sophomore at a great (read party) school in Southern California, where he is king of campus.  If he is not the de facto universal #1 prospect, he will go back to USC.  

Because he can.  Because the 2019 draft class isn't so chock full of QB's.  And because insurance will cover his fiscal risks.

Darnold wants to stay in Cali.  He's from Capistrano Beach, CA.  He plays at USC.  He's a sun-soaked Cali kid through and through.  He does not want to play in the rust belt, or the swamp of fetid New Jersey.  Don't think he doesn't know who Mark Sanchez is and how that played out.

If the 49'ers don't get the #1 pick, and Darnold is not heir choice as #1, he could easily stay in college.  His demeanor shows he doesn't like the "Darnold Jets Jersey" hype.

Darnold is already "old hype", like Watson before him.  People will spend all season, and then all lead-up-to-draft tearing down Darnold and his game.  And instead they'll talk up the newest hotnesses.

He won't win the Heisman.  He won't win a National title.  And he won't be the best QB in college.  His shadow of legend will fade before the draft, especially if he keeps throwing INT's trying to look like a super star instead of doing whats needed to BE a super star even if it's less flashy.

And even IF Darnold was everything his most dedicated supports think he is, and even if he is the defacto #1 overall pick, and even if the Jets wind up with that pick......do any of you REALLY think "I know better than everyone else" Macc is going to pick him?  Or do you think Macc will try and grow his legend and trade down, picking another QB, the QB only he knows better about, in a deep QB draft, and gathering more picks to build this low-talent roster?

Just wait folks.  Don't worry about the draft, it's ages from now, and so much can and will change between now and then.  

But I'm telling you now, Sam Darnold will almost assuredly NOT be the #1 overall pick of this next draft in 2018.  And he very well may not even be top 5.  Or in the draft at all.

You heard it here.

*Disclaimer:  Guarantee does nto represent a legally binding contract, and is intended for entertainment value only.  No warranty, express or implicit is implied via this post.  Anything can happen, and who the **** knows, maybe Darnold IS the man.  But he may not be.  We can't know now, and won;t know till early next year ffs.  So stop rooting against your team.

I'm starting to understand where all the recent hate, I mean skepticism, has been coming from.

6 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

He'll include a "bossa won't win the Heisman" prediction so he can still claim his thread was mostly right.

D-Linemen win the Nagurski award, the Bednarik award, the Lombardi award, the Lott Trophy, etc.  They pretty much never win the Heisman.

But if Bossa is great, the way folks thought Darnold was great, yeah, I'd probably expect him to win a few of those awards.

Wouldn't you? 

2 minutes ago, Warfish said:

D-Linemen win the Nagurski award, the Bednarik award, the Lombardi award, the Lott Trophy, etc.  They pretty much never win the Heisman.

But if Bossa is great, the way folks thought Darnold was great, yeah, I'd probably expect him to win a few of those awards.

Wouldn't you? 

Yeah, and if Peyton Manning/Brady/Marino/Brees are going to be great they would need to win go back in time and win the Heisman also....

Just now, Bruce Harper said:

No, it was supposed to be a joke.  I see you as a realist, "show me," guy.

Ah, gotcha.

Realist?  Maybe, some times.  I get caught up in excitement too from time to time.  Just less than most round here.

Generally I am a die hard and dedicated cynic.  I believe it only after I see it.  Hype and hyperbole is just silly IMO, even from fans.

6 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Yeah, and if Peyton Manning/Brady/Marino/Brees are going to be great they would need to win go back in time and win the Heisman also....

Are we back to the "your yellow car is great, so my yellow car must also be great" type arguments?

Lets circle back to what this thread is about: 

1. I made a number of predictions (note, not "great predictions", not "hard predictions", just predictions).

2. Most of the predictions were accurate.  A few were not (his pick spot, Macc picking him, etc.)

3. The purpose of the thread was an over-the-top counter argument against the prevailing thought at that time that any action OTHER than purposely going 0-16 would ensure there was no way we, the Jets, could get Sam Darnold, who was, again at that time, being lauded by a portion of the Jets fan base as near on football-christ-like.  Additionally, fans were telling other fans that rooting for wins was a horrible thing because only 0-16 would serve the franchise and only Darnold could save us.

4. We won 5, still got Sam.  Thanks Browns!

So which part is it that has your ass so fired up JoJo?  

2 minutes ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

How about the if you have to say it's not an L then it obviously is form?

I'm trying to pick a favorite between the "civil debate" jab and "I assure you, I'm not insecure," and it's like deciding which of my children I love more

1 hour ago, bgivs21 said:

Hmm, kind of reminds you of a QB across town named Manning. A laid back guy who people thought would struggle being in NY. Worked out pretty well for him & the Giants, no? 

I actually think his temperament is well-suited to NY.  Seems to take it all in stride.  Not going to freak out the first time the Daily News writes a funny headline about him.  Never seemed to be adversely affected by all the INTs -- just moved on to the next play.  And I wouldn't be fooled by the "laid-back" California demeanor.  This guy wants to be great.

I'm not sure if you know who I am.

Hi, I'm Warfish.  I ALWAYS try and respond to every poster who wants to engage in civil debate on our beloved Jets.

I would think after what, feels like 20 years on JI and JN, people would be used to me by now.

I assure you, I'm not insecure.  I can read that OP and see what I got right, and what I got wrong. 

I can also put it in it's proper context of the debates being had AT THAT TIME and know why the OP was written.

I can also see the same old homerism running rampant that always happens in these circumstances. 

Darnold is the new Jets Christ, and any doubters, even in Sept. of 2017, must be purged!  Same thing that happened when we drafted Sanchez and I was against THAT pick, I got crushed regularly for my doubts and criticism of the pick.  Of course, I was quite right about Sanchez, but it's funny, no one who buttfumbles on draft night ever comes back to admit THAT fact now, lol. 

Same forums as always.

Also, not an L in any form.  No matter how many chuckleheads think this is their golden moment to get one over on me, lol.  

The very fact that you're going to such lengths is just silly. Who cares if you were right or wrong? I didn't read the whole thread or the bumped part of it but whomever brought this back up is just being childish. Why give them what they obviously wanted? Eff'em.

We gonna give Macc some head because he picked Darnold now, after the Browns and Ginats handed him a gift on a silver platter?  My retarded Cat woulda picked Darnold at #3.

Except my retarded Cat would have started Petty/Hack in 2017, and we wouldn't have needed to trade up and lose all those 2nd's to be IN that spot to pick Darnold.

They're going w/ Cognitively Impaired Feline now.  Just so you know.

7 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

I'm trying to pick a favorite between the "civil debate" jab and "I assure you, I'm not insecure," and it's like deciding which of my children I love more

So, there's an obvious and easy answer, but you just don't want to say it out loud?

9 minutes ago, JetFaninMI said:

The very fact that you're going to such lengths is just silly. Who cares if you were right or wrong? I didn't read the whole thread or the bumped part of it but whomever brought this back up is just being childish. Why give them what they obviously wanted? Eff'em.

We're here to have fun.  I think folks are having fun giving me sh*t.

End of the day, WarfishBot only exists to provide content for Max and drive site hits for adverti......perhaps I've said too much.

15 minutes ago, Bruce Harper said:

I actually think his temperament is well-suited to NY.  Seems to take it all in stride.  Not going to freak out the first time the Daily News writes a funny headline about him.  Never seemed to be adversely affected by all the INTs -- just moved on to the next play.  And I wouldn't be fooled by the "laid-back" California demeanor.  This guy wants to be great.

Nice thought.  And easy enough for today.

I want to see how he handles the jackel NY sports 'media' after his first three-INT game when we lose because of him, personally.

I mean sh*t, we all hope he never has a game like that tbqh, but really, every QB has one, especially early.

I hope his SoCal cool can withstand that sh*tstorm of NY Post back pages stories and "Same (Darn)OLD Jets!" headlines.

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Not for me.  There's no perfect draft prospect, and in the top 5, there's no real reason to draft anyone outside of a QB.  Maybe a pass rusher or franchise LT.  Otherwise it's too expensive.  Just look at Saquon Barkely.  By taking him 2nd overall, he's now expected to be the 4th-highest paid RB in the NFL.  In that kind of situation I'd prefer to trade down. 

Now that we have our franchise QB, I want our team to be good enough to not have to pick in the top 5 for a very long time. 

There is a reason that the Steelers, Ravens, packers, pats etc are able to continually replenish without picking high. They don't have to pay the bad roster tax in FA, they don't have to reach on qbs, and there are still plenty of dumb teams at the top of the draft that let good prospects fall by overthinking things. They also all of them continually invest in skill position players and OLine. Once you have a qb that is legit, it's really a simple model for success. 

17 minutes ago, JetFaninMI said:

giphy.gif

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

My friend, I WAS right, almost all the way down the line.  :lol:

The only part I missed was where he was picked, and even there I was partly right, he was not the #1 pick nor was he the first QB taken.

Be assured, I get alot of predictions wrong (less than I get right, but lets ignore that for now). 

I pretty much nailed this in just about every way other than how far Darnold fell.  Instead of falling to ~6, he fell to 3.  Oh, the humanity! 

Other than that, it was a pretty damn accurate set of predictions for Sept. 9 of 2017. 

I'm happy to own this one, this is no Patrick Ramsey.:D

I honestly didnt remember the content of this thread other than you guaranteeing he wouldnt go top 5 and me being one of the biggest naysayers of Sam Darnold at the time, saying you're dead wrong.  So it was kind of a 2 folds, you eat crow and also look at me necro because I'm a childish insecure penis who desperately seeks the acceptance of my e-friends that I've never met, except the ones I have met but they love me already for my charm and devilish good looks. 

1 minute ago, JiF said:

I honestly didnt remember the content of this thread other than you guaranteeing he wouldnt go top 5 and me being one of the biggest naysayers of Sam Darnold at the time, saying you're dead wrong.  So it was kind of a 2 folds, you eat crow and also look at me necro because I'm a childish insecure penis who desperately seeks the acceptance of my e-friends that I've never met, except the ones I have met but they love me already for my charm and devilish good looks. 

Nothing but love JiFster, agree, disagree, or otherwise.

If it brings folks joy, here we go:

7e81e1cd2d547fac1c64d61797faccc1.jpg

3 hours ago, Warfish said:

My car is yellow.

So surely my yellow car will work out as well as your yellow car.

Right?

:lol:

Wow, that is one of the worst examples used as a counter argument I have ever seen in my life. 

On 9/25/2017 at 11:53 AM, Warfish said:

I guarantee it*.

Darnold is not as great a college QB as his proponents think, and others have already started to surpass him in hype and attention.

9 TD's and 7 INT's is not greatness at that level.  7 INT's is more than someone supposedly a "generational talent" shouldn't throw at USC in a full season.

Darnold is a sophomore at a great (read party) school in Southern California, where he is king of campus.  If he is not the de facto universal #1 prospect, he will go back to USC.  

Because he can.  Because the 2019 draft class isn't so chock full of QB's.  And because insurance will cover his fiscal risks.

Darnold wants to stay in Cali.  He's from Capistrano Beach, CA.  He plays at USC.  He's a sun-soaked Cali kid through and through.  He does not want to play in the rust belt, or the swamp of fetid New Jersey.  Don't think he doesn't know who Mark Sanchez is and how that played out.

If the 49'ers don't get the #1 pick, and Darnold is not heir choice as #1, he could easily stay in college.  His demeanor shows he doesn't like the "Darnold Jets Jersey" hype.

Darnold is already "old hype", like Watson before him.  People will spend all season, and then all lead-up-to-draft tearing down Darnold and his game.  And instead they'll talk up the newest hotnesses.

He won't win the Heisman.  He won't win a National title.  And he won't be the best QB in college.  His shadow of legend will fade before the draft, especially if he keeps throwing INT's trying to look like a super star instead of doing whats needed to BE a super star even if it's less flashy.

And even IF Darnold was everything his most dedicated supports think he is, and even if he is the defacto #1 overall pick, and even if the Jets wind up with that pick......do any of you REALLY think "I know better than everyone else" Macc is going to pick him?  Or do you think Macc will try and grow his legend and trade down, picking another QB, the QB only he knows better about, in a deep QB draft, and gathering more picks to build this low-talent roster?

Just wait folks.  Don't worry about the draft, it's ages from now, and so much can and will change between now and then.  

But I'm telling you now, Sam Darnold will almost assuredly NOT be the #1 overall pick of this next draft in 2018.  And he very well may not even be top 5.  Or in the draft at all.

You heard it here.

*Disclaimer:  Guarantee does nto represent a legally binding contract, and is intended for entertainment value only.  No warranty, express or implicit is implied via this post.  Anything can happen, and who the **** knows, maybe Darnold IS the man.  But he may not be.  We can't know now, and won;t know till early next year ffs.  So stop rooting against your team.

Are you having a bad day?

1 hour ago, bgivs21 said:

Wow, that is one of the worst examples used as a counter argument I have ever seen in my life. 

Just means you don't understand it.  

Lets try again.

Sam Darnold is not Payton Manning.  

Just because X, Y or Z happened/worked for Peyton Manning, does not mean X, Y or Z will happen or work for San Darnold.

Any argument that is based on "well, Peyton Manning had X, so....." is by definition a flawed argument that is arguing a point without any actual support.  What happened to Payton Manning is 100% irrelevant to what will happen to San Darnold, even under similar circumstance. 

They're different people, under different coaches, in different eras, with different teammates.  

Archived