Poll: Which name on this list evokes the most negative visceral reaction from you?

TuscanyTile2

Poll: Which name bothers you the most?  

130 members have voted

1. 1. Poll: Which name bothers you the most?

• Vernon Gholston
    • Kyle Wilson
    • Michael Vick
    • Calvin Pryor
    • Christian Hackenberg
    • Joe "Must Go" Walton
    • Vlad Ducasse
    • Leon Hess
    • Dewayne Robertson
    • Mark Sanchez
    • Geno Smith
    • John Idzik
    • Rex Ryan
    • Ryan Fitzpatrick
    • Rich Kotite
    • Woody Johnson
    • Jason Taylor
    • Blair Thomas
    • Bruce Coslett
    • Darrelle Revis

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Well agreee with these as options or not, there are people voting for them. Here are some reasons I’m not a fan

Woody: seems like a spoiled rich kid who inherited the team.  I hate his support of Jeb and that he seems like a political establishment type guy (I recognize this isn’t a football point but my poll was just about visceral reaction to these names).  Also it seemed he cared more about stadiums than improving the team.  I think he once had a quote something along the lines of  “now that the practice facility has been built, we can focus on the team again”.   Also he insisted on hiring the HC and GM separately.  That seems like meddling to me. 

Chad: I personally couldn’t stand noodle arm.  He was such a “pretender” QB.  To me it felt like he clearly had a ceiling where he couldn’t beat a good team in a big game.  He also was incredibly limited.  There were several important throws he couldn’t make.   Worst among them was passing the ball 10+ yard to a WR near the sidelines.  Chad simply didn’t have the arm strength for that.  Also I couldn’t take his “Chad Mary” passes (where a Hail Mary was required but he threw the ball 2 yards).   Also it was painful to watch him try to move the ball downfield.  It would have to be like a 13 play drive with him. He could do that about 1x per game.  Also his dumb face/haircut/voice annoyed the crap out of me, especially when he told the reporter what an honor it was to cover him. Give me a break!

Sanchez: while I will admit he played his best games in the playoffs (and I credit him for that), overall he was kind of a crappy QB who couldn’t take the reins when they were handed to him year 3   The team spent a fortune on him and he simply wasn’t up to the task   Most of his success was due to a strong OL, D and running game   Also he just seemed like a California pretty boy type.  He seemed to believe in his own hype despite never earning it.  By the end, the guy was absolutely toxic and the fans couldn’t wait for him to get out of town   

Rex: while he was almost certainly the most successful HC other than the SB winning Ewbank, he was also such a buffoon   It was definitely more his personality that rubbed people the wrong way than anything else.   He kept guaranteeing the Super Bowl.  His defense was Swiss cheese at the end of games when we needed a stop.  He had the wife foot thing (I have zero issue with what he did but it still made the organization look silly).  He had that buffoonish moment (jumping up and down like a bozo) when he won the last 2 weeks of the season (to finish 8-8) and Idzik announced he’d be back. Also the “wife wearing a Sanchez jersey” tattoo was idiotic .  Again I fully realize the positives too and am grateful to him for them (2 AFC title games, 4 playoff road wins, beating the Pats on the road in the post-season!).  I agree with you that he probably doesn’t belong on this list but these are just points about how i can see why people don’t like the guy. 

People can feel however they want about anyone, I just think it's crazy to bash the few guys that have had any real success for us.

I understand complaining about Woody but we've still been more consistently successful(even w/ the recent struggles) w/ him than we were the 40 years w/o him.

Chad's biggest flaw was his durability, if he was durable he would have been the best QB in Jets history(then again if Namath was durable he would have been one of the best QBs of all time). He won multiple playoff games, nothing is bigger than playoff games so to say he couldn't beat good teams in big games is false.  He also beat NE multiple times including on the road in 2002- NE wouldn't lose another home game until THREE years later then he beat them on the road in 2006 and NE wouldn't lose another home game w/ Brady until 2009.

Mark was never consistent in the reg season, we got good mark and bad Mark but when you step up the way he did during those runs we should have some appreciation.  Part of the reason we suck as a franchise is we worry too much about what fans think, the giants fans felt that exact same way about Eli manning before he won a SB and then again a few years later.  did Giants mgmt. listen to the fans? they also wanted coughlin gone the same times.  to do something b/c the fans want it is not a way to achieve ultimate success.

Rex was what he was, he'd say crazy things to bring the pressure on him and take it away from his teams.  His teams overachieved in 4 of his 6 seasons.  the lone really bad season was 2011 the way it ended, his last season here he was sabotaged by his GM so I don't really blame him but his teams overachieved in 2009, 2010, 2012 and 2013.

13 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

Well we disagree. Tanny, post NY Jets has done NOTHING. He has shown NO ability to draft except for the years he drafted under Mangini. He is not a football man in my view. What did he do other than the 3 Mangini years that is above average? You love REX and Tanny but they are both well below 500 in their career.

Woody.. again, your opinion but Woody seems fairly involved. Based on Hard Knocks if nothing else...

he built another franchise into a playoff team, their first playoff app since 2008. 

Every owner is involved but he's not making personnel decisions, he's not forcing his GM and HC to do certain things.  yes he wants answers as any owner would but he wasn't doing a Jerry Jones.

25 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

he built another franchise into a playoff team, their first playoff app since 2008. 

Every owner is involved but he's not making personnel decisions, he's not forcing his GM and HC to do certain things.  yes he wants answers as any owner would but he wasn't doing a Jerry Jones.

A playoff team?? ONE entrance to the playoffs , he overpays at every position, the Fins are a joke. He paid Tannehill like he paid Sanchez. He is a TERRIBLE GM. A terrible manager. You beat off to our 2009,2010 run I get it BUT no real statistician takes 2 years from ones career and makes a judgement. The body of work is large and it is below average.  

41 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

Chad's biggest flaw was his durability, if he was durable he would have been the best QB in Jets history(then again if Namath was durable he would have been one of the best QBs of all time). He won multiple playoff games, nothing is bigger than playoff games so to say he couldn't beat good teams in big games is false.  He also beat NE multiple times including on the road in 2002- NE wouldn't lose another home game until THREE years later then he beat them on the road in 2006 and NE wouldn't lose another home game w/ Brady until 2009.

He won 2 playoff games.  A wildcard win over Indy 41-0 (followed by a 30-10 loss to the Raiders) and a wildcard win over SD 20-17 (followed by a loss to Pittsburgh 20-17).  Admittedly we should've probably beaten the Steelers that year but IIRC it was NOT due to Chad (who did very little in that game).  Also the Raiders dominated the Jets in that divisional game.  So again I say that Chad could beat wildcard caliber teams but couldn't "bring it" against the real competition.  He was incredibly overrated by this fanbase, probably because we haven't had a real QB in a long time.

You'd think Kotite would get more votes. When you ask a long time Jets fan who was the worst his name would usually come up first. Younger Jets fans will go with more recent history. Leon Hess's name is not on the list. Most fans liked Hess he was known as a decent guy. But remember he's the owner who fired Pete Carroll to hire Kotite. It was probably the only time I can remember that Hess budded in. And the one time he did it turned out to be a catastrophe. Pete Carroll turned out to be a great coach and Kotite a punchline for bad jokes. 

5 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

A playoff team?? ONE entrance to the playoffs , he overpays at every position, the Fins are a joke. He paid Tannehill like he paid Sanchez. He is a TERRIBLE GM. A terrible manager. You beat off to our 2009,2010 run I get it BUT no real statistician takes 2 years from ones career and makes a judgement. The body of work is large and it is below average.  

he's only been on the job 2 years or so and again he made the moves to get them back to the playoffs for the first time since 2008. 

How does a terrible Gm build playoff teams w/ 3 different coaches? build 2 legit SB contenders? etc...?

I don't understand why jet fans don't want to win.

5 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

He won 2 playoff games.  A wildcard win over Indy 41-0 (followed by a 30-10 loss to the Raiders) and a wildcard win over SD 20-17 (followed by a loss to Pittsburgh 20-17).  Admittedly we should've probably beaten the Steelers that year but IIRC it was NOT due to Chad (who did very little in that game).  Also the Raiders dominated the Jets in that divisional game.  So again I say that Chad could beat wildcard caliber teams but couldn't "bring it" against the real competition.  He was incredibly overrated by this fanbase, probably because we haven't had a real QB in a long time.

That's 2 playoff games though, right?  you know that outside of Sanchez that's the most by a starting QB in jets history?

We lost to Pitt partly due to Chad, he was not good that game but remember he was playing w/ a torn rotator cuff in his throwing shoulder.

The Jets and Raiders were tied 10-10 late in the 3rd qtr, it was not a domination.  the wheels just fell off in the 4th.

If Chad didn't beat those WC teams then they wouldn't have been WC caliber they would have been div rd or more caliber, right?

Leading us to victory in week 16 of 2002 on the road on Sun Night in NE which ended up being the difference in us winning the division or Brady winning it again.  Do you realize that 2002 season was the only season Brady was primary starter and didn't win the AFC East?  and in 2008 when Brady was hurt Chad took a team that was 1-15 the year before and led them to the div title while we replaced Chad w/ HOFer Brett Favre and watched him sabotage our season despite much more talent than Chad had around him.

The worst thing you can say about Chad was he wasn't durable but when he played for us he played well and we usually won.

3 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

he's only been on the job 2 years or so and again he made the moves to get them back to the playoffs for the first time since 2008. 

How does a terrible Gm build playoff teams w/ 3 different coaches? build 2 legit SB contenders? etc...?

I don't understand why jet fans don't want to win.

That's 2 playoff games though, right?  you know that outside of Sanchez that's the most by a starting QB in jets history?

We lost to Pitt partly due to Chad, he was not good that game but remember he was playing w/ a torn rotator cuff in his throwing shoulder.

The Jets and Raiders were tied 10-10 late in the 3rd qtr, it was not a domination.  the wheels just fell off in the 4th.

If Chad didn't beat those WC teams then they wouldn't have been WC caliber they would have been div rd or more caliber, right?

Leading us to victory in week 16 of 2002 on the road on Sun Night in NE which ended up being the difference in us winning the division or Brady winning it again.  Do you realize that 2002 season was the only season Brady was primary starter and didn't win the AFC East?  and in 2008 when Brady was hurt Chad took a team that was 1-15 the year before and led them to the div title while we replaced Chad w/ HOFer Brett Favre and watched him sabotage our season despite much more talent than Chad had around him.

The worst thing you can say about Chad was he wasn't durable but when he played for us he played well and we usually won.

Ill just stop here.. Tanny and Rex and Sanchez ..your favorites are simply well below average at their jobs.  Their record shows it. Opinion is not called for, stats are. More than 2 years worth.

4 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

You'd think Kotite would get more votes. When you ask a long time Jets fan who was the worst his name would usually come up first. Younger Jets fans will go with more recent history. Leon Hess's name is not on the list. Most fans liked Hess he was known as a decent guy. But remember he's the owner who fired Pete Carroll to hire Kotite. It was probably the only time I can remember that Hess budded in. And the one time he did it turned out to be a catastrophe. Pete Carroll turned out to be a great coach and Kotite a punchline for bad jokes. 

The 2 Kotite years were rock bottom for this franchise BUT he did bring in a lot of talent that would eventually help us win and we were so bad that it forced hess to actually do something big to change the franchise so I don't view Kotite negatively b/c of that.

as for hess, he never gouged the fans which was a good thing but he was a terrible owner for the on field product. People complain about Woody but hess became sole owner in 1984 so from 1984-1998(15 seasons) we made the playoffs 4 times, won 2 playoff games, made 1 title game, won 1 div title, had 8 losing seasons including a franchise worst 1-15 in 1996.  Woody 2000-2016(17 seasons) had 6 PO seasons, 6 PO wins, 1 div title, 2 title game apps and 6 losing seasons yet some folks will prop up Hess and bash Woody

1 minute ago, southparkcpa said:

Ill just stop here.. Tanny and Rex and Sanchez ..your favorites are simply well below average at their jobs.  Their record shows it. Opinion is not called for, stats are. More than 2 years worth.

Isn't it amazing w/ 3 people so inept at their jobs(we'll make it 4 w/ the OC) that we could win 4 road playoff games in 2 years and make back to back title games?  what luck we had!

5 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

It took Pete Carroll nearly 20 more years, a stint in NE and a bunch of time in College to be a "great coach". 

4 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

Carroll was the guy standing on the sideline during the fake spike and the ensuing winless remainder of the season.  Kotite was a complete disaster, but there's little to suggest Carroll would have been any sort of answer for the Jets at that time.  His current successful tenure in the NFL didn't start for another 16 years after that.

It's another one of those points that is heavily dependent on some major hindsight, with a dash of revisionist history.  Although not quite as bad folks who keep trying to assert that it's Woody's fault that Belichick quit the team before he even owned it.

They were/are undoubtedly two very unsuccessful owners, so it's always curious some of the things they attempt to be blamed for, rather than the long list of stuff that actually was their fault.

4 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

Carroll was the guy standing on the sideline during the fake spike and the ensuing winless remainder of the season.  Kotite was a complete disaster, but there's little to suggest Carroll would have been any sort of answer for the Jets at that time.  His current successful tenure in the NFL didn't start for another 16 years after that.

It's another one of those points that is heavily dependent on some major hindsight, with a dash of revisionist history.  Although not quite as bad folks who keep trying to assert that it's Woody's fault that Belichick quit the team before he even owned it.

They were/are undoubtedly two very unsuccessful owners, so it's always curious some of the things they attempt to be blamed for, rather than the long list of stuff that actually was their fault.

He wasn't really given a chance here, who knows how long it would have taken to develop into a good HC here but it was wrong to fire him after 1 season.  Remember, he did make the playoffs 2 of 3 years in NE and was 8-8 year 3. A year later w/ Belichick they were 5-11 then started 0-2 before Brady became the starter and that franchise became a dynasty.

Vernon Gholston is the name that gets me. Kills me every time. If he was the real deal our defense would have been damn near unstoppable from 2008-2011.

Kyle Wilson annoys me as well especially when I remember that 49ers game in 2011 where he was beaten multiple times but the receiver was overthrown and I had to watch Wilson celebrate like he did a good job on the play. I couldn't stand him.

3 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

Vernon Gholston is the name that gets me. Kills me every time. If he was the real deal our defense would have been damn near unstoppable from 2008-2011.

Kyle Wilson annoys me as well especially when I remember that 49ers game in 2011 where he was beaten multiple times but the receiver was overthrown and I had to watch Wilson celebrate like he did a good job on the play. I couldn't stand him.

The finger wag gets you every time!

The funny thing is, not to actually be at all positive about Wilson since he sucked, but part of the reason he got to annoyingly wag his finger so many times due to bad throws, is he actually was pretty solid at sticking with his guy in coverage.  Plenty of times those random incompletions were based on QBs trying to out-throw the coverage.  The problem was he had absolutely no ball awareness, so once QBs learned better and would just throw the ball straight at the guy he was covering, no matter how tight the coverage, it was not going to end well.

1 hour ago, nyjunc said:

The 2 Kotite years were rock bottom for this franchise BUT he did bring in a lot of talent that would eventually help us win and we were so bad that it forced hess to actually do something big to change the franchise so I don't view Kotite negatively b/c of that.

as for hess, he never gouged the fans which was a good thing but he was a terrible owner for the on field product. People complain about Woody but hess became sole owner in 1984 so from 1984-1998(15 seasons) we made the playoffs 4 times, won 2 playoff games, made 1 title game, won 1 div title, had 8 losing seasons including a franchise worst 1-15 in 1996.  Woody 2000-2016(17 seasons) had 6 PO seasons, 6 PO wins, 1 div title, 2 title game apps and 6 losing seasons yet some folks will prop up Hess and bash Woody

Unlikelable is not the same as inept. Also, being one of the best QBs in Jets’ history is not necessarily a compliment 

1 minute ago, nyjunc said:

the franchise has been much more successful under Woody than Hess, it's been the most successful stretch in franchise history so how have we been inept under Woody?

The poll was to judge the list of players on people’s negative visceral reaction to them.    

If I did a poll like this on a Buffalo Bills forum, OJ Simpson would likely receive a lot of votes.  It wouldn’t be because he was “inept” as a player.  

1 hour ago, Bleedin Green said:

I don't see your point. What hindsight. Pete Carroll has had a great coaching career at USC and the Seahawks. Rich Kotite was a disaster for the Jets. The only thing good coming out of it was getting Bill Parcells. 

2 hours ago, nyjunc said:

The turnaround for the Jets was Parcells. It had nothing to do with Woody. 

Sanchez was ok. Not even remotely close to the type of bust players we've drafted. Geno was a 2nd rounder. Not a major investment. For me, it was easily Ghost. Then DRob comes in 2nd. We spent two high first rounders on his blown knees and then gave him a nice contract extension as well. Set the franchise back a couple of years. Then Idzik and finally Mac. 

Joe Walton because that Idiot had one of the most talented rosters in the NFL for years and had nothing to show for it. That team should have made it to at least 1 SB. Walt Michaels should have been retained as the HC since he came so close only to have Don Shula Cheat his ass off to take it away in the Mud Bowl. Would have been nice to see the Jets sack exchange vs the Redskins Hog's that year in the SB instead we got to watch the Skins dismantle an inferior Dolphin team.

On 11/20/2017 at 6:10 AM, Lupz27 said:

Other 

The worst thing to ever happen to this franchise in its history Ryan Fitzpatrick!

you must not be a Jets fan for very long because Fitz is not even close . The guy played here for 2 years and damn near broke every single season record for a QB in this franchises history. I can understand some who did not want him here but to call him the worst thing that happened to this franchise is ridiculous

3 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

I don't see your point. What hindsight. Pete Carroll has had a great coaching career at USC and the Seahawks. Rich Kotite was a disaster for the Jets. The only thing good coming out of it was getting Bill Parcells. 

Literally everything you just said is hindsight, not sure what's tough to grasp there.  It was still another 16 years before Carroll started his current successful NFL gig, and even then first couple of years were rather mediocre.  So basically, you're saying the measurement of what the Jets should have done is based on what occurred 18+ years later.

Ok this is the type of poll that can ruin a holiday worse than a victor Cruz reception. But thankfully for some of you, you looked at the list and said who’s that to some of the names. I UNFORTUNATELY KNEW EVERY ******* NAME ON THE LIST!  So thanks for the poll. Lol. Kotite for those who remember was an embarrassment of macadoo like proportions.   

Happy Thanksgiving ! 

3 hours ago, Bleedin Green said:

Literally everything you just said is hindsight, not sure what's tough to grasp there.  It was still another 16 years before Carroll started his current successful NFL gig, and even then first couple of years were rather mediocre.  So basically, you're saying the measurement of what the Jets should have done is based on what occurred 18+ years later.

You seem to forget about USC. Look, all I'm saying is that it was a mistake to fire Carroll and hire Kotite. I thought it was a no-brainer. 

Honestly - it SHOULD be our 2nd-round-never-played-a-down franchise Quarterback, Christian Hackenberg... by a landslide.

The fact that they've hid him, is the only reason he isn't overtaking the Ghost. Hack's been so bad, he can't even get active on sunday. Our top #50 QB draft pick is soooo fcking bad, that management won't even tempt the media with shoulder pads on sunday.

Give how OBVIOUS HIS TERRIBLE FCKING COLLEGE CAREER AND OBVIOUS FLAWS WERE.... I'm really surprised Macc gets a pass with so many of you.

On 11/20/2017 at 7:35 PM, TuscanyTile2 said:

I just replaced Dee Milliner (who had 0 votes anyway) with Michael Vick.

Apologies for all the changes but I didn't put as much thought into the original post as I should have.  Please review the choices again and re-vote if you'd like to.  Note that the only names I've replaced in this list ALL had 0 votes.

Kerry Rhodes was a viable option as well

13 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

The turnaround for the Jets was Parcells. It had nothing to do with Woody. 

The initial turnaround I agree but please don't forget Parcells was only in it for the short term w/ us and left us w/ major cap issues that the next regime had to clean up.  If parcells cared about the Jets long term BB would have been our coach and either Peyton Manning or Tom Brady would have been our QB.

10 hours ago, Bleedin Green said:

He made the playoffs 2 of 3 years in NE and his last season was 8-8 before he was fired.  Belichick came in and was 5-11 year 1 and started 0-2 before Brady became the starter.  It was ridiculous for Carroll to only get one year here regardless of  what happened in the future.

4 hours ago, nyjunc said:

The initial turnaround I agree but please don't forget Parcells was only in it for the short term w/ us and left us w/ major cap issues that the next regime had to clean up.  If parcells cared about the Jets long term BB would have been our coach and either Peyton Manning or Tom Brady would have been our QB.

Belichick and the Patriots passed on Brady five times. Peyton Manning didn't want to sign with the Jets. The Mannings obviously had no problem with playing in New York but they (under the tutelage of their father) didn't like specific organizations like the Chargers and the Jets and didn't want to play for them. 

Archived