Jets Draft Position Possibilities (probably 6th)/Rooting Guide

Doggin94it

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Jetscode1 said:

From the Hack pick to the pass on Watson I see Macc favoring the prototypical QB at least size wise.  So I don't see Mayfield or Jackson on his board at all.  I could see a world where Macc has Allen and Mason Rudolph with second round grades and chooses BPA with the first and waits for a QB in the second eyeing Allen or Rudolph and possibly Drew Lock if he comes out.  

This is my prediction as well.  Darnold and Rosen are gone.  Mayfield and Jackson aren't on Mac's big board.  He goes BAP (which will be defense) in the first round and will look to find his prototypical NFL QB flier in the 2nd or 3rd, he then resigns Joshy.  Joshy is put on a shelf while Hack and said prototypical QB flier battle it out for who gets the right to dress on game day.

3 minutes ago, JiF said:

This is my prediction as well.  Darnold and Rosen are gone.  Mayfield and Jackson aren't on Mac's big board.  He goes BAP (which will be defense) in the first round and will look to find his prototypical NFL QB flier in the 2nd or 3rd, he then resigns Joshy.  Joshy is put on a shelf while Hack and said prototypical QB flier battle it out for who gets the right to dress on game day.

Agreed.  You see enough of Drew Lock yet?  Can he lead a franchise?

Just now, Jetscode1 said:

Agreed.  You see enough of Drew Lock yet?  Can he lead a franchise?

I have watched a bit of Drew Lock.  He's a gun slinger who is wildly inaccurate but you cant deny the season he had, especially with all the drama going on at Mizzou coming into the year. 

I don't think he'd be the guy I'm targeting this year.  IMO, he could use more time in college. 

8 minutes ago, JiF said:

You forgot Allen

31 minutes ago, JiF said:

That wouldn't shock me.  Rosen, while he looks like the most polished and Day 1 ready, has some serious concerns from an attitude perspective.  I could see his attitude being a huge deterrent from the HC's/GM's who prioritize leadership > skill.  He is someone who you'd have to vet heavily and the interviews could mean more than anything else.  

Allen is obviously the wild card here because he fits the Mac mold for what he looks for in a QB.

That said, I don't see a world where Big Mac has Allen, Mayfield or Jackson ranked in the top 10, so it's much more likely his top 10 is littered with Defenders and if Derwin James is staring Mac in the face...does he pass on him because of Adams and Maye?  I don't think so.

4 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

You forgot Allen

2 hours ago, JetFaninMI said:

Dude please. They have stated they will be taking a QB. They now have football guys running that operation not baseball wannabe's. They will stay at their respective picks and take the guy they want. Maybe they don't even want Darnold or Rosen. We don't know. So for you or I to say with any certainty who they will pick is just speculation. I fully expect Cleveland to take a QB at one and maybe theres an outside chance they trade the #5 to some QB needy team but don't bet on it. They are in business to help the Cleveland Browns and not the New York Jets. There are other teams in better position with more to offer than the Jets to move into that slot anyway. I'm not ragging on the Jets here its just reality. Cleveland could grab a QB at 1 and then trade the 5 to buffalo for 2 more 1's THIS YEAR and more. Why would they want the Jets 1 and 2 second rounders if offered that?

You'd take Mayfield/Allen/Jackson at #1 with Rosen and Darnold on the board??

I completely agree they will take a QB but if they are not going for Darnold or Rosen they'd be silly not to trade the pick for a huge haul. They currently own the #4 pick, they'll have their choice of Mayfield, Allen or Jackson. 

#1 with any QB avaiable is far more valuable than #4 with the two best QBs off the board. (Possibly 3 because it would mean Darnold or Rosen fell to #3 and who's to say a team doesn't jump up to that pick instead)

No I wouldn't take any of those guys at 1.

So you don't think Mayfield/Allen/Jackson are good enough to go #1 but they are suitable to go #4? Why would Cleveland settle for what most think are lesser QB'S 3 picks later? No If the Browns make any moves at all it will be at the second pick not the 1st. They will secure their QB 1st then talk deal with the other pick. If they decide to deal that pick at all. Cleveland has football guys in there now. I feel the need to repeat it because you seem to have disregarded it. The Browns are craving that franchise QB even more than Jet Fans are and will pick one of the top 2. If they don't declare by the January deadline then I could see them dealing #1. If they do then one of them will be a Brown.

2 minutes ago, JetFaninMI said:

So you don't think Mayfield/Allen/Jackson are good enough to go #1 but they are suitable to go #4? Why would Cleveland settle for what most think are lesser QB'S 3 picks later? No If the Browns make any moves at all it will be at the second pick not the 1st. They will secure their QB 1st then talk deal with the other pick. If they decide to deal that pick at all. Cleveland has football guys in there now. I feel the need to repeat it because you seem to have disregarded it. The Browns are craving that franchise QB even more than Jet Fans are and will pick one of the top 2. If they don't declare by the January deadline then I could see them dealing #1. If they do then one of them will be a Brown.

I know they are craving a franchise QB but if the clear top 2 picks don't want to play for you then it would be silly to draft a lesser player when you could get a haul for #1. I don't believe Mayfield/Allen/Jackson are deserving of a top 5 pick but it is a lot easier to swallow if you get a kings randsom for #1 and take the QB you would have taken at #4. If the Browns only had 1 pick or that 2nd first was in the teens then I agree they'd take whatever QB at 1 but they have such a unique situation to have two top 5 picks.

7 minutes ago, JetFaninMI said:

What if the Giants or Browns grab Alex Smith or Cousins?

Nothing would make me more excited for the 2018 NFL season than Lamar Jackson falling to the Jets. 

Lamar leading the O, and Adams leading the D. And I don't care what fans have to say about Adams, he seems like the type of person that is going to do everything possible in the off season to maximize whatever he can be.

11 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

I know they are craving a franchise QB but if the clear top 2 picks don't want to play for you then it would be silly to draft a lesser player when you could get a haul for #1. I don't believe Mayfield/Allen/Jackson are deserving of a top 5 pick but it is a lot easier to swallow if you get a kings randsom for #1 and take the QB you would have taken at #4. If the Browns only had 1 pick or that 2nd first was in the teens then I agree they'd take whatever QB at 1 but they have such a unique situation to have two top 5 picks.

If they declare one of them will be a Brown. That I don't want to play for that franchise has become so much bullsh*t. They said the same thing about Stafford and the Lions. When they waved 68 mil in his face guaranteed his stance changed. That was how long ago? The money they stand to make will change their minds believe it. Your letting what you want to happen cloud your judgement.

3 minutes ago, RESNewYork said:

Nothing would make me more excited for the 2018 NFL season than Lamar Jackson falling to the Jets. 

Lamar leading the O, and Adams leading the D. And I don't care what fans have to say about Adams, he seems like the type of person that is going to do everything possible in the off season to maximize whatever he can be.

Todd Bowles doesn't trust Petty because he's afraid of turnovers , what is he gonna do with a QB like Lamar Jackson. He'd ride the pine while the Vet journeyman dujour protects the football and the Jets lose close games. 

2 minutes ago, JetFaninMI said:

If they declare one of them will be a Brown. That I don't want to play for that franchise has become so much bullsh*t. They said the same thing about Stafford and the Lions. When they waved 68 mil in his face guaranteed his stance changed. That was how long ago? The money they stand to make will change their minds believe it. Your letting what you want to happen cloud your judgement.

Can't do that now. The rookie salary cap ended that

4 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

Todd Bowles doesn't trust Petty because he's afraid of turnovers , what is he gonna do with a QB like Lamar Jackson. He'd ride the pine while the Vet journeyman dujour protects the football and the Jets lose close games. 

I get that's your opinion because Bowles (and the OC and other coaches and management because these decisions are not made in a vacuum) started McCown over Petty and Hack but if the Jets get Lamar in the top 10, I think they are taking a QB at that spot to start.

15 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

What if the Giants or Browns grab Alex Smith or Cousins?

Interesting question but I don't see either happening with Cousins. Neither team has the offense that requires just replacing the QB and the Browns are winless so I doubt they would want either. I could see the Giants maybe trading for Smith but they would still draft a QB with their pick. They would be crazy not too. They did it with Warner and Eli if I'm not mistaken and I could see them letting Smith get in there while grooming that young guy.

4 minutes ago, JetFaninMI said:

Interesting question but I don't see either happening with Cousins. Neither team has the offense that requires just replacing the QB and the Browns are winless so I doubt they would want either. I could see the Giants maybe trading for Smith but they would still draft a QB with their pick. They would be crazy not too. They did it with Warner and Eli if I'm not mistaken and I could see them letting Smith get in there while grooming that young guy.

Yeah agree that the Browns most likely wouldn’t do that. I think the Giants could go for Cousins because they do have OBJ/Shepherd/Engram/Marshall but they need to shore up that O-Line. I think if you get Alex Smith then you probably do draft QB anyway but at the same time if you get Cousins who is 29..30 then it wouldn’t be necessary.

edit: Giants can’t have too much cap for Kirk though. Gotta imagine after their FA spending the last two seasons, it would be tough to get him.

10 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Can't do that now. The rookie salary cap ended that

Okay forgot about that.

Last season the #1 pick got a contract worth just under 30.5 mil

The #2 pick got a contract worth just over 29 mil. You really think they will turn down that type of cash to not play for a certain team? Your dreaming. 

1 minute ago, JetFaninMI said:

Okay forgot about that.

Last season the #1 pick got a contract worth just under 30.5 mil

The #2 pick got a contract worth just over 29 mil. You really think they will turn down that type of cash to not play for a certain team? Your dreaming. 

He can declare but force a trade ala Eli and Elway

4 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Yeah agree that the Browns most likely wouldn’t do that. I think the Giants could go for Cousins because they do have OBJ/Shepherd/Engram/Marshall but they need to shore up that O-Line. I think if you get Alex Smith then you probably do draft QB anyway but at the same time if you get Cousins who is 29..30 then it wouldn’t be necessary.

edit: Giants can’t have too much cap for Kirk though. Gotta imagine after their FA spending the last two seasons, it would be tough to get him.

They would need to cut a ton of guys to be able to afford Cousins so it would kinda defeat the purpose. Getting Smith however would also force them to make some cuts but they could still be respectable while they groom which ever QB they take.

I personally think they will blow it all up and start over but thats just my opinion.

Just now, JetFaninMI said:

They would need to cut a ton of guys to be able to afford Cousins so it would kinda defeat the purpose. Getting Smith however would also force them to make some cuts but they could still be respectable while they groom which ever QB they take.

I personally think they will blow it all up and start over but thats just my opinion.

They probably will blow it up. Makes me sick they get to have Eli and two SB’s just to have all this misfortune the same year 2018 QB class rolls around and Eli falls apart. Angers the hell out of me.

9 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Eli is better than both Cousins and Smith.  They are drafting a QB because they have a top 3 pick.  

6 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

They probably will blow it up. Makes me sick they get to have Eli and two SB’s just to have all this misfortune the same year 2018 QB class rolls around and Eli falls apart. Angers the hell out of me.

The rich get richer.

11 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

He can declare but force a trade ala Eli and Elway

Maybe but not so easy in todays NFL. I could see the Commish having something to say about that and it would not surprise me if he did. Remember that happened a long time ago as well. If both guys declare do you really think the NFL will allow both of them to snub the Browns? What kind of precedent will that set? You will have other guys saying if they can do it so can I. I think those days maybe over in this NFL climate.

Denver is starting Paxton Lynch, so they may not be too competitive.  Our best hope to move up in the draft is that the SF continue their hot streak (vs a rams team with not much to play for) and TB somehow upsets NO in a divisional game.  That gets Macc to his beloved 6 spot.

3 hours ago, rangerous said:

i liked the fact that watson was a winner.  i know very little about qb mechanics etc but it seemed this guy played in a great conference and took down alabama. the thing is the 6th pick wasn't too high for him either despite what the talking heads said.  obviously hindsight is proving that he can play right out of the box.

Agree, liked him for being a winner and his intelligence.  But given the concerns over arm strength, accuracy and body type I totally understand why those talking heads didn't like him at 6.  That he put together a handful of really good games is encouraging but ultimately he broke as many worried over.  As far as being worth the pick In hindsight, sure.  That's like saying Carr should have been drafted in the top 5, not 2nd round.  Or Brees or Brady should have been the 1st overall pick in their drafts.

3 hours ago, JiF said:

You've changed your position.  You've gone from nobody had Watson at 6 to now a handful agreed with us that he was the pick.  

And there was no consensus 6th overall pick.  We saw, Adams, Hooker, Allen, Trubisky, Mahomes, Watson, Lattimore, Williams, Fournette, Cook, Howard etc.  Typically, there isn't a consensus on a single pick other than #1 overall because it's damn near impossible to predict the draft.  Other than the years where you're splitting hairs between the 1st overall prospect and the 2nd see; Winston/Mariota, Goff/Wentz... you don't have consensus picks.

The point I was trying to make is that I find it comical that everyone thinks it's a forgone conclusion we're taking a QB in the first round.  It's not.  Like not at all.  In fact, everything about Mac's drafting history says he'll stick to his big board and he doesn't deviate.  Where I'm sitting, I don't see his big board having a QB ranked 8th overall unless Darnold or Rosen fall on draft day.

And nobody was right about anything.  Watson is going to make a full recovery and Bridgewater is back in the league.  The book isn't closed on either of these guys.  No where near it.

How is saying a handful only had him at 6?  Also predraft fans have multiple players they're interested at the spot.  No one said the only player is Watson.  If someone likes a few players it's not the same as someone claiming the day after the pick that we should have taken Watson that's a lot different.  Don't remember too many of those opinions.  Even fewer had Mahomes, if any at 6.  More we're talking Trubinski as an option, who I didn't like and still don't.  Plus he was drafted 3 spots before we drafted.

A which is it question given your belief that the QBs are vastly overrated should Macc pick a QB who you don't think is that good or should he go BPA? I'm not sure myself.  If he doesn't like the QBs sitting there wouldn't a Cousins or some other available NFL QB along with BPA be a better alternative?  Because as has been stated many times there are fans who want a QB drafted in the 1st no matter who he is.  

10 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

How is saying a handful only had him at 6?  Also predraft fans have multiple players they're interested at the spot.  No one said the only player is Watson.  If someone likes a few players it's not the same as someone claiming the day after the pick that we should have taken Watson that's a lot different.  Don't remember too many of those opinions.  Even fewer had Mahomes, if any at 6.  More we're talking Trubinski as an option, who I didn't like and still don't.  Plus he was drafted 3 spots before we drafted.

A which is it question given your belief that the QBs are vastly overrated should Macc pick a QB who you don't think is that good or should he go BPA? I'm not sure myself.  If he doesn't like the QBs sitting there wouldn't a Cousins or some other available NFL QB along with BPA be a better alternative?  Because as has been stated many times there are fans who want a QB drafted in the 1st no matter who he is.  

I'm not following you on the first paragraph completely.  All I was trying to say is there were plenty of people who thought the Jets should draft Watson, just like there were 100's others mocking them or liking another prospect.  My point was/is there aren't consensus picks once you get past #1 or in some cases #2 and just like the Jets last year, there were a ton of different names being thrown around as potential picks. 

Are you asking me what's my preference?  I don't think you take a QB for the sake of taking a QB.  If you have a big board where say you have a SS at #6 and a QB at somewhere between #10-15.  I think you screw you big board and take the QB but that's the only position you do that for.  I'm on record saying I don't trust Mac drafting a QB and don't like anyone outside of Darnold and Rosen.   So my preference is Cousins + BAP in the draft because I don't think those other 2 are on the board. 

Archived