Jets Draft Position Possibilities (probably 6th)/Rooting Guide

Doggin94it

1 hour ago, Patriot Killa said:

They probably will blow it up. Makes me sick they get to have Eli and two SB’s just to have all this misfortune the same year 2018 QB class rolls around and Eli falls apart. Angers the hell out of me.

Why are you so convinced the QB’s at the top of the draft(and I guess we are talking specifically about Darnold & Rosen) are such gilt-edge can’t miss prospects?

I seriously think the desperation here has fried everyone’s brain to the point where every QB we miss out on is going to have a multi championship winning hall of fame career and everyone else will be a Hack-esque non-factor.

I’d be shocked if at least one of those top 2 doesn’t totally bust(If I had to guess Darnold, he is the scariest can’t miss prospect I’ve ever seen) I’d also be entirely unsurprised if the most successful QB to come out in 2018 isn’t even drafted in Rd 1.

The Giants suck and are a mess, enjoy it

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, redlichtie said:

Why are you so convinced the QB’s at the top of the draft(and I guess we are talking specifically about Darnold & Rosen) are such gilt-edge can’t miss prospects?

I seriously think the desperation here has fried everyone’s brain to the point where every QB we miss out on is going to have a multi championship winning hall of fame career and everyone else will be a Hack-esque non-factor.

I’d be shocked if at least one of those top 2 doesn’t totally bust(If I had to guess Darnold, he is the scariest can’t miss prospect I’ve ever seen) I’d also be entirely unsurprised if the most successful QB to come out in 2018 isn’t even drafted in Rd 1.

My eye test. What else do I have to say? I think they will be elite. 

19 minutes ago, redlichtie said:

HISTORIC DRAFT CLASS!!!!!!!!!!!!!  

4 hours ago, nycdan said:

Here's a site that has the pertinent info:  http://www.tankathon.com/nfl

As annoyed as we all are, how do you think 49er fans feels going from 1-10 to 5-10 and dropping from #2 to #7 or #8 in just 4 weeks.  Still bad for us as they were probably not drafting a QB.  Giants are probably locked into #2 now since they clearly aren't even trying to win games.  Love how the bottom 5 teams have collectively devoted themselves to not winning a single game since Week 11.

Annoyed?  Why?  9'rs weren't tanking before JG.  Jets weren't tanking.  Giants aren't tanking, no one is tanking, that's your imagination at work.  

2 hours ago, JetFaninMI said:

Maybe but not so easy in todays NFL. I could see the Commish having something to say about that and it would not surprise me if he did. Remember that happened a long time ago as well. If both guys declare do you really think the NFL will allow both of them to snub the Browns? What kind of precedent will that set? You will have other guys saying if they can do it so can I. I think those days maybe over in this NFL climate.

If Rosen or Darnold don't want to play for the Browns all they have to do is sit out a year and re-enter next years draft. The Browns would have wasted a #1 overall pick for a player that isn't with them. I don't think Darnold or Rosen are going to care that much if they land on a better team the following year, even if they drop a little further which may not happen since QB is such a commodity. Plus in the event that they are taken beyond the 1st round they will be up for a contract in 4 years instead of 5 years and would be on any team not named the Browns.

The Browns would be silly to draft a player with the thought they may never play for them especially at #1. If they're choice must boil down to Allen/Mayfield/Jackson then I'd be willing to bet that they will trade out of #1 for a kings ransom and take one of those three with the #4 pick.

Maybe but not so easy in todays NFL. I could see the Commish having something to say about that and it would not surprise me if he did. Remember that happened a long time ago as well. If both guys declare do you really think the NFL will allow both of them to snub the Browns? What kind of precedent will that set? You will have other guys saying if they can do it so can I. I think those days maybe over in this NFL climate.

If Rosen or Darnold don't want to play for the Browns all they have to do is sit out a year and re-enter next years draft. The Browns would have wasted a #1 overall pick for a player that isn't with them. I don't think Darnold or Rosen are going to care that much if they land on a better team the following year, even if they drop a little further which may not happen since QB is such a commodity. Plus in the event that they are taken beyond the 1st round they will be up for a contract in 4 years instead of 5 years and would be on any team not named the Browns.

The Browns would be silly to draft a player with the thought they may never play for them especially at #1. If they're choice must boil down to Allen/Mayfield/Jackson then I'd be willing to bet that they will trade out of #1 for a kings ransom and take one of those three with the #4 pick.

3 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

Or, they sit out and Browns own the 1st overall pick next year too. :) 

22 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

Sit out a year and lose a year under the rookie contract - not gonna happen

5 hours ago, nycdan said:

As annoyed as we all are, how do you think 49er fans feels going from 1-10 to 5-10 and dropping from #2 to #7 or #8 in just 4 weeks.  Still bad for us as they were probably not drafting a QB.  Giants are probably locked into #2 now since they clearly aren't even trying to win games.  Love how the bottom 5 teams have collectively devoted themselves to not winning a single game since Week 11.

9ers have their qb now. We also would have rather seen petty or hackenberg come in and win proving they were qb of future than rolling the dice to find one next yr. especially with Mac drafting.

15 minutes ago, peebag said:

Sit out a year and lose a year under the rookie contract - not gonna happen

You think the Browns would keep a QB threatening not to play? I'd be shocked if they didn't trade him after he is selected if he did not want to play for them. The point is not if Rosen or Darnold will sit out but will the Browns be willing to potentially waste a #1 overall pick on a QB who doesn't want to be there. I don't think it is worth it to draft the face of your franchise who openly says he doesn't want to be there. I don't believe they sit tight and take Mayfield/Allen/Jackson at 1 when the amount they'd get in return for either Rosen or Darnold is so much higher especially when all 3 of those QBs will likely be available at #4 when they pick again.

Hopefully Cleveland falls in love with Jackson, and both TB, and Denver win next week while the Jets lose, and the Browns swap the 1st overall pick to us for the 5th overall pick, and take Lamar Jackson, and Saquan Barkley 4th, and 5th overall transforming their offensive dynamic with a full season of hopefully a healthy Coleman, and a clean Josh Gordon to throw to for Jackson, and him Barkley, and Duke Johnson coming out of the backfield might actually change the Browns franchise overnight while we get our choice of Darnold, or Rosen.

7 hours ago, ChuckkieB said:

If the Jets land at the 7th or 8th pick, Mac has to trade up to get the #3 QB on the board at the very least IMO. If he had any guts, he'd make Cleveland an offer they can't refuse for the #1 pick.  I'm tired of this franchise shooting for the middle.  They need to roll the dice and aim sky high for a change.  Mac has a chance to change the trajectory of this franchise.  NO GUTS, NO GLORY!!!!  

There is zero - zero - chance Cleveland is trading out of the No. 1 slot.  They desperately need a QB, have Dorsey who was brought in to get a QB and has no ties to Kizer, and have their pick of 2 QBs who are worthy No. 1s.  If they're going to move back, they'll move back from their second No. 1.

6 hours ago, nycdan said:

They're ecstatic; they have their QB.

2 hours ago, HessStation said:

So are they currently picking 6 if everybody loses next week? 

No - 7/8, depending on the SoS tiebreaker with SF

2 minutes ago, Doggin94it said:

There is zero - zero - chance Cleveland is trading out of the No. 1 slot.  They desperately need a QB, have Dorsey who was brought in to get a QB and has no ties to Kizer, and have their pick of 2 QBs who are worthy No. 1s.  If they're going to move back, they'll move back from their second No. 1.

Well they had one QB just essentially say that he doesn't want to go there

Believe it or not, the New York Jets aren't that far away from being a winning football team. The defense is proving to be one of the league's toughest young units, and the moves made by this front office to rebuild the wide receiver corps and offensive line have paid off. The moves that haven't paid off? Drafting Bryce Petty and Christian Hackenberg. That's why quarterback is the No. 1 need in New York.

The Jets haven't lost enough games to be in on Sam Darnold or Josh Rosen but could still land Josh Allen or Baker Mayfield in the first round. What's more likely is the team uses its projected $85 million in cap space to sign Kirk Cousins if he becomes available. Cousins, with the weapons already in place plus three picks in the first two rounds, would make the Jets one hell of a competitive team in the AFC.

3 hours ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Well they had one QB just essentially say that he doesn't want to go there

And they're picking No. 1, so if it comes down to it, that may be the tiebreaker between Darnold & Rosen for them.  But they aren't passing on both, and they'll take Rosen if they feel he's head and shoulders better than Darnold, since nobody actually gives up an NFL career over this stuff.

3 hours ago, Doggin94it said:

And they're picking No. 1, so if it comes down to it, that may be the tiebreaker between Darnold & Rosen for them.  But they aren't passing on both, and they'll take Rosen if they feel he's head and shoulders better than Darnold, since nobody actually gives up an NFL career over this stuff.

I'd love to see them pull the trigger and just tell these kids "tough cookies, sit out a year if you don't like it".

There were rumors earlier this year that Darnold may go back to school because he doesn't want to go to the Browns. If this is true and I were Dorsey I'd bring in both kids and make sure they enter the draft. If they return to school then they'd need to pick between Allen/Mayfield/Jackson at #1 anyway so tell them that you'll trade the pick to the highest bidder. IMO it makes more sense to get a QB who wants to play for you at #4 plus a haul for the #1 pick than to take a player (face of the franchise) that doesn't want to play for you.

4 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

The only 2 guys on our draft board should be mayfield and Jackson.  In that order.  

We need excitement on the offensive side of the ball.  These 2 are the most exciting in the draft.

Get one of them!

We are drafting a defensive player I just hope it’s Bradley Chubb at least he’s a pass rusher

6 hours ago, Doggin94it said:

This is what you guys are not factoring in:

Luck wants out of Indy and they are going to have a top 3 pick.  Indy can trade up to 1, get Darnold and then turnaround and trade Luck for another team’s entire draft

14 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

Hopefully Cleveland falls in love with Jackson, and both TB, and Denver win next week while the Jets lose, and the Browns swap the 1st overall pick to us for the 5th overall pick, and take Lamar Jackson, and Saquan Barkley 4th, and 5th overall transforming their offensive dynamic with a full season of hopefully a healthy Coleman, and a clean Josh Gordon to throw to for Jackson, and him Barkley, and Duke Johnson coming out of the backfield might actually change the Browns franchise overnight while we get our choice of Darnold, or Rosen.

Maybe we give Cleveland a 1st n 2nd this year, and the 1st next year.  In exchange for the 1st pick...  and Gordon.  

19 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

You say that like its an easy thing without consequence for them as well.Yeah they could do that but they would be wasting a year of development and they would not be able to play for a season as well. Out of football for a year and not being able to go back to college ball would put a serious dent in their NFL aspirations. Not to mention their contract amount. Hell they would not be getting reps of any kind in a structured offense of any kind and they would be getting no in game experience. YAYYYYYY. where do I sign up for that? They would be better off not to declare in the first place if they were so put off by playing for a team they don't like.

You say that like its an easy thing without consequence for them as well.Yeah they could do that but they would be wasting a year of development and they would not be able to play for a season as well. Out of football for a year and not being able to go back to college ball would put a serious dent in their NFL aspirations. Not to mention their contract amount. Hell they would not be getting reps of any kind in a structured offense of any kind and they would be getting no in game experience. YAYYYYYY. where do I sign up for that? They would be better off not to declare in the first place if they were so put off by playing for a team they don't like.

Honestly with how long a QB's shelf life is I could see them training and re-enter next year. I think it's the one position that would still be considered valuable with a year off. Mayfield and Stidham both took a year off and it didn't really appear to hurt their development, in fact I'd say it helped their development because they went to favorable situations. If you plan on taking Rosen or Darnold it is to be your QB for for the next 10-15 years, if you need a year to shake the rust off to go to a favorable situation I could see them doing it. They are thinking long term career not short term with a decision like that.

The argument isn't really "Would a QB sit out" as much as it is "Would the Browns want to spend the #1 pick on a player who doesn't want to be there or would they prefer to trade that pick and take one of Allen/Mayfield/Jackson with the #4 pick?" If I'm given that option I'm not drafting the player who doesn't want to play for me.

2 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

Honestly with how long a QB's shelf life is I could see them training and re-enter next year. I think it's the one position that would still be considered valuable with a year off. Mayfield and Stidham both took a year off and it didn't really appear to hurt their development, in fact I'd say it helped their development because they went to favorable situations. If you plan on taking Rosen or Darnold it is to be your QB for for the next 10-15 years, if you need a year to shake the rust off to go to a favorable situation I could see them doing it. They are thinking long term career not short term with a decision like that.

The argument isn't really "Would a QB sit out" as much as it is "Would the Browns want to spend the #1 pick on a player who doesn't want to be there or would they prefer to trade that pick and take one of Allen/Mayfield/Jackson with the #4 pick?" If I'm given that option I'm not drafting the player who doesn't want to play for me.

Completely different situations. Both transferred to different programs not took the year off. They were still part of a program and were still around the game. They could practice, get reps, learn the playbook, and otherwise do everything but play in actual games. You're comparison is wrong. If one or both of Rosen and Darnold declared, hired an agent and decided not to play for the team that picked them they are out. O-U-T out. They cannot practice with ANY team nor can they go back to their respective college. They are in limbo for a year. You cannot compare what you are talking about with Mayfields and Stidhams situation.

This your opinion not fact. I don't think either situation happens. If Rosen and Darnold have any reservations about playing for Cleveland they should and probably will stay in school. No way they jeopardize their promising Pro careers just to not play for the Browns. Cleveland is in a once in a lifetime position this off season. 2 picks in the top 5. I don't know how many picks in the 1st 2 rounds not to mention 100 mil in cap space. Plus they have a savvy football GM in there now and will receive assurances to build the team around them. You don't get that chance very often in the NFL. Cleveland could take one of them with the 1st pick and draft one of the highest rated OL in a while. Or they could take Saquon Barkley at 4 and have a nice one-two punch to build on. I think anyone of those QB's would be foolish NOT to be drafted by the Browns and be part of  what could be a once in a lifetime chance to get in on the ground floor of something special. Also factor in that they would be God's in a city if they brought a Championship home to what was once a football crazy town and you have a lot of reasons to go to Cleveland.

47 minutes ago, JetFaninMI said:

Completely different situations. Both transferred to different programs not took the year off. They were still part of a program and were still around the game. They could practice, get reps, learn the playbook, and otherwise do everything but play in actual games. You're comparison is wrong. If one or both of Rosen and Darnold declared, hired an agent and decided not to play for the team that picked them they are out. O-U-T out. They cannot practice with ANY team nor can they go back to their respective college. They are in limbo for a year. You cannot compare what you are talking about with Mayfields and Stidhams situation.

You can stay in football shape without being on a football team, Gordon sat out for 2 years.

I agree I don't think it happens but do you honestly believe the Browns would draft a player #1 that doesn't want to play for them?

On 12/26/2017 at 8:49 AM, JiF said:

The point I was trying to make is that I find it comical that everyone thinks it's a forgone conclusion we're taking a QB in the first round.  It's not.  Like not at all.  In fact, everything about Mac's drafting history says he'll stick to his big board and he doesn't deviate.  Where I'm sitting, I don't see his big board having a QB ranked 8th overall unless Darnold or Rosen fall on draft day.

This is the main reason I think he will draft a qb....each year his big board has told him that he evaluated a player higher and they wouldnt be here when we pick. If he thinks a qb wont be available because they will already be gone then the likelihood is he is wrong and they will drop to us. lol not sound logic but fug it, it gets us a qb

2 minutes ago, jetspenguin said:

This is the main reason I think he will draft a qb....each year his big board has told him that he evaluated a player higher and they wouldnt be here when we pick. If he thinks a qb wont be available because they will already be gone then the likelihood is he is wrong and they will drop to us. lol not sound logic but fug it, it gets us a qb

Yes, far from sound logic. haha 

In this scenario, who is the QB to fall that he has rated highly? 

16 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

You can stay in football shape without being on a football team, Gordon sat out for 2 years.

I agree I don't think it happens but do you honestly believe the Browns would draft a player #1 that doesn't want to play for them?

Gordon? You have to be more specific. I believe we are not talking about a QB here right?

No I don't think they would but the question is why wouldn't they? All the things I listed in the previous post all point to a franchise on the rise not on the way down. The Giants have a great history but not the outlook and future that the Browns seem to have. At this point the Browns have a lot more to offer in terms of team building than the Giants do. The Giants suspect OL alone would make me shy away from them a lot more than it would Cleveland. I think your letting your wanting a franchise QB so badly for the Jets influence your argument. I get it but knowing Macchole as we do do you really believe he will be able to or want to trade a slew of picks to move up that far? I don't.

3 minutes ago, JiF said:

Yes, far from sound logic. haha 

In this scenario, who is the QB to fall that he has rated highly? 

Lets go with the brittle kid from UCLA who doesnt want to play in cleveland? or more realistically the "wild child" from oklahoma that might ruffle too many feathers in the metro area to be the new face of the franchise. Mac will have him rated 5th and he will be there at 8 with his dikkk in his hand.

On 12/25/2017 at 10:41 AM, T0mShane said:

Thanks for doing this legwork. Sixth is an interesting spot, because it puts Rosen in play if the Giants and Browns pass on him. It’d make Darnold’s decision to come out incredibly important to the Jets.

I think the Giants are going to take a QB. Depends on the new coach I guess. Would be nice if they said, they were building around Eli until Webb was ready.

Archived