Draft Order Question

CanadaSteve

4 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

Currently, we stand number 7 in draft order, with Denver picking number 6

My question is this: Even though the SoS leaves us higher, (.521 to .483), why does the fact that Denver beat us NOT put us ahead of them? 

Draft order coming into focus with a week left

894349936.jpg?w=560&h=316&crop=1

The Browns have locked up the top spot. And the Texans keep doing their part to help them.With a week left in the season, the Browns have already secured the top pick in the 2018 NFL Draft. And if the season ended today, their second pick would be fourth overall, thanks to the Texans losing again last night.

Also, a lot of people would be saying: “Why did the season end on Boxing Day?”

The Giants (2-13) are currently locked into the second spot, a game ahead of the Colts (3-12).Draft order ties are broken by strength of schedule, and the Texans are ahead of the 4-11 Buccaneers for the edge on the fourth spot.

The Broncos are currently in the sixth spot, followed by the 49ers, Jets and Bears. With three teams tied at 6-9, there’s some competition for the final top-10 pick, but the Bengals have a sizable advantage in terms of strength of schedule, over the Raiders and Dolphins.

>     http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/12/26/draft-order-coming-into-focus-with-a-week-left/

23 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

My question is this: Even though the SoS leaves us higher, (.521 to .483), why does the fact that Denver beat us NOT put us ahead of them? 

Somehow we have to find our way in front of the Broncos...

6 minutes ago, prime21 said:

I still can’t fathom how the Giants with a talented team based off last year has the 2nd pick while we have the 7th.  Football Gods screwing us again. 

Did you watch 1 Giants game this year?  They flat out suck on all sides of the ball.  Ben McADoo was actually a worse HC than Todd Bowles. 

2 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Did you watch 1 Giants game this year?  They flat out suck on all sides of the ball.  Ben McADoo was actually a worse HC than Todd Bowles. 

True story.  Difference is that the Giants recognized this and acted swiftly.  Bad Jets coaches get 4-5 years to prove how horrible they are.

2 minutes ago, ChuckkieB said:

True story.  Difference is that the Giants recognized this and acted swiftly.  Bad Jets coaches get 4-5 years to prove how horrible they are.

McAdoo benching Eli led to his in season firing, he would have been gone on Black Monday otherwise. 

Here not playing Hackenberg in these last few games amongst MANY other things should lead to Bowles firing on Black Monday.

16 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Yeah, the Giants are vastly overrated. Much of their talent is overpriced players on defense (minus Landon Collins) and perimeter players on offense (Odell- Who's contract jumps from like 1 to 8 million in 2018 then he is a FA and will be demanding QB money very soon, Engram and Sheppard). But landing a franchise QB with the second pick will surely speed up their rebuild process. Thankfully, no matter who they get, they are going to have to deal with Carson Wentz for the next decade. 

Just now, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Yeah, the Giants are vastly overrated. Much of their talent is overpriced players on defense (minus Landon Collins) and perimeter players on offense (Odell- Who's contract jumps from like 1 to 8 million in 2018 then he is a FA and will be demanding QB money very soon, Engram and Sheppard). But landing a franchise QB with the second pick will surely speed up their rebuild process. Thankfully, no matter who they get, they are going to have to deal with Carson Wentz for the next decade. 

No QB will have any success behind the Giants current OL. 

Just now, jetspenguin said:

Amazes me that they are not running Elway out of town for picking Lynch but Mac's feet are frying over Hack. They are both bums and if I remember correctly Denver traded up to get their bum. 

John Elway is very well respected GM in Denver his mistakes are outweighed by his Super Bowl appearances and victories 2 out of 5 

What has Mike Maccagnan been successful at here  that would earn him any respect or a pass from Jets fans...Ryan Fitzpatrick,Josh McCown,Christian Hackenberg,Bryce Petty..Executive of the year.....

1 minute ago, joewilly12 said:

John Elway is very well respected GM in Denver his mistakes are outweighed by his Super Bowl appearances and victories 2 out of 5 

What has Mike Maccagnan been successful at here  that would earn him any respect or a pass from Jets fans...Ryan Fitzpatrick,Josh McCown,Christian Hackenberg,Bryce Petty..Executive of the year.....

You are right he does get a lot of leeway...rings will do that for you but that guy was a 1st rd pick and a flat out BUST and there isnt a whisper of an issue with him picking another QB. in fact this isnt even the first bum QB he has picked but still people trust he has faith to get a good one with his pick. Based on what I have seen it wont matter if he picks in front of us or not, he will still choose the worst QB left on the board. 

7 minutes ago, jetspenguin said:

Amazes me that they are not running Elway out of town for picking Lynch but Mac's feet are frying over Hack. They are both bums and if I remember correctly Denver traded up to get their bum. 

Elway has had his team in the Super Bowl recently and he is also THE franchise icon so he should get a little more leeway than a bum like Maccagnan who hasn't done anything worthwhile in the game and has been nothing short of an epic failure over his three years as Jets GM.

1 minute ago, jetspenguin said:

You are right he does get a lot of leeway...rings will do that for you but that guy was a 1st rd pick and a flat out BUST and there isnt a whisper of an issue with him picking another QB. in fact this isnt even the first bum QB he has picked but still people trust and have faith to get a good one with his pick. Based on what I have seen it wont matter if he picks in front of us or not, he will still choose the worst QB left on the board. 

typo- edited

5 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Maccagnan is easily a bottom five NFL GM and he may even be the worst in the league. He has no business being employed by this team once the season ends.

1 minute ago, Pennington said:

Elway has had his team in the Super Bowl recently and he is also THE franchise icon so he should get a little more leeway than a bum like Maccagnan who hasn't done anything worthwhile in the game and has been nothing short of an epic failure over his three years as Jets GM.

my point was more of a reflection of Elways ability to pick QB's, not a defense of Mac as it appears thats how it is being taken.

1 hour ago, CanadaSteve said:

No head to head in breaking draft position tire breakers.  Strictly strength  of schedule.

I don't think Mac has done a bad job drafting or signing FA's. Hackenberg is his glaring error but every GM has one or two of them in his closet. My hope is the Jets allow Bowles to go to Arizona for a fresh start and Mac can hire his HC. Hopefully it will be an offensive oriented coach who has experience as a HC like a Ken Whisenhunt or Todd Haley. I like Whisenhunt better as he did more in Arizona than Haley did in KC. In fact, Haley's personality is what ran him out of KC as he got involved in a lot of trivial scrapes with players.

Archived