Todd Bowles and Mike Maccagnan Receive Contract Extensions: MERGED

KRL

• Replies 483
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The only things I can think of in favor of keeping Todd Bowles:

1.  There are no good replacement options

2.  Todd isn't that bad at coaching aside from the little things such as clock management, competitive game-plans, half-time adjustments, getting consistent effort/performance out of his players, making any sense during press conferences.  So yeah, the little things.  He does have an epically stoic look going for him on the sidelines.  Like he knows what he's doing while actually having no clue.

3.  Why replace Todd when we are seasons away from being an enticing option for a top-tier coaching candidate, although we do have lots of cap space....

Who knows.  I'm just prepared for a crazy spending spree during the off-season (like 2015), another first round defensive end pick (because you know we will trade Wilkerson), bringing back McCown and then waiting till the 2nd round to draft a QB (cause you know we have a great track-record there) topped off with another 10-6 season that just keeps us out of the playoffs.

9 minutes ago, afjetsfan said:

2.  Todd isn't that bad at coaching aside from the little things such as clock management, competitive game-plans, half-time adjustments, getting consistent effort/performance out of his players, making any sense during press conferences.  So yeah, the little things.  He does have an epically stoic look going for him on the sidelines.  Like he knows what he's doing while actually having no clue.

3.  Why replace Todd when we are seasons away from being an enticing option for a top-tier coaching candidate, although we do have lots of cap space....

Who knows.  I'm just prepared for a crazy spending spree during the off-season (like 2015), another first round defensive end pick (because you know we will trade Wilkerson), topped off with another 10-6 season that just keeps us out of the playoffs.

The only silver lining is Mac didn’t get to replace Bowles with O’Brien otherwise we would definitely be stuck with that Sh-tclown for another 3 years

3 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Where is this coming from? Seems random

It's an observation of his past handling of vet players.  The 'narrative' is that todd bowles deserves the extension because he had the team playing hard.

I've said it before the players that have played hard are rookies or 2nd year guys (don;t have to motivate], guys with a chip on their shoulder such as udfa's (don't have to motivate) or guys with one foot out of the league on their last shot (don't have to motivate).

the players that you do have to motivate and that are the most important to team success are the talented vets that have been paid.  He utterly failed in that regard the last few years, letting these guys walk all over him and not at all holding them accountable for awful performance on the field.

1 hour ago, afjetsfan said:

Who knows.  I'm just prepared for a crazy spending spree during the off-season (like 2015), another first round defensive end pick (because you know we will trade Wilkerson), bringing back McCown and then waiting till the 2nd round to draft a QB (cause you know we have a great track-record there) topped off with another 10-6 season that just keeps us out of the playoffs.

Or at least not anyone worthwhile who will talk to the Jets. And ownership didn't exercise due diligence to explore the NFL assistants nor college coaches nor potential GMs who would make good selections.

Keeps coming back to ownership. Every other team's owners themselves or club presidents have a list of potential hires if things go bad; even the Pats and the Steelers. Jets' ownership doesn't get that. Which is why Bill Polian or Charley Caserly or a search firm get a call when it goes to poop. Figure next January. Again. 

9 minutes ago, Bugg said:

Or at least not anyone worthwhile who will talk to the Jets. And ownership didn't exercise due diligence to explore the NFL assistants nor college coaches nor potential GMs who would make good selections.

Keeps coming back to ownership. Every other team's owners themselves or club presidents have a list of potential hires if things go bad; even the Pats and the Steelers. Jets' ownership doesn't get that. Which is why Bill Polian or Charley Caserly or a search firm get a call when it goes to poop. Figure next January. Again. 

Please no more calls to that scenile has been Casserly

3 hours ago, Beerfish said:

It's an observation of his past handling of vet players.  The 'narrative' is that todd bowles deserves the extension because he had the team playing hard.

I've said it before the players that have played hard are rookies or 2nd year guys (don;t have to motivate], guys with a chip on their shoulder such as udfa's (don't have to motivate) or guys with one foot out of the league on their last shot (don't have to motivate).

the players that you do have to motivate and that are the most important to team success are the talented vets that have been paid.  He utterly failed in that regard the last few years, letting these guys walk all over him and not at all holding them accountable for awful performance on the field.

i would have thought what you laid out here (absolutely all of it) goes without saying.. 

spot on post!!

6 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Dan Marino has 0 Super Bowl rings. 

And?  You saying he wasnt good?  Make that great?  Because his WR were smurfs, his running game nonexistent and his defense like swiss cheese.  But he never won a SB.  

4 hours ago, Beerfish said:

This has to be the most lame way to take something done well away from the team and HC you love to hate.  Duh, theyre young so are motivated all on their own, HC has nothing to do with it.  Meanwhile the fat vets who should know how to motivate themselves you happily blame their laziness on Bowles.  Its good to just make it up as you go along 

Stop trying so hard, he actually does things wrong, you dont have to make up shlt to discredit him.

Just now, Jet Nut said:

This has to be the most lame way to take something done well away from the team and HC you love to hate.  Duh, theyre young so are motivated all on their own, HC has nothing to do with it.  Meanwhile the fat vets who should know how to motivate themselves you happily blame their laziness on Bowles.  Its good to just make it up as you go along 

Stop trying so hard, he actually does things wrong, you dont have to make up shlt to discredit him.

Josh McCown 38 years old, Matt Forte 32 years old. 

Just now, joewilly12 said:

Josh McCown 38 years old, Matt Forte 32 years old. 

And?  Were they not motivated?  Did either one dog it?  Other than our one problem child what imaginary problem did the Jets have motivating the more veteran players?  Kerley?  ASJ?  

2 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

The NFL is about the ring YOU PLAY TO WIN THE GAME every MORON knows this. 

Image result for dan marino no super bowl ring  joke pics

Actually the true moron is the one who thinks that one player wins championships.  That you supposedly had season tickets, watched Marino and are killing him says a lot of why you post the way you do.  Guess Hostetler, McMann and other scrubs were better in your eyes

Charles Barkley suck?  Ewing?  

3 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Actually the true moron is the one who thinks that one player wins championships.  That you supposedly had season tickets, watched Marino and are killing him says a lot of why you post the way you do

Not killing him stating facts no ring, show me where I killed him....anxiously waiting. 

Me having tickets has nothing to do with this. I was there Monday Night Miracle until the end, I was there Marino fake spike, how about you Jet Nut. 

15 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

This has to be the most lame way to take something done well away from the team and HC you love to hate.  Duh, theyre young so are motivated all on their own, HC has nothing to do with it.  Meanwhile the fat vets who should know how to motivate themselves you happily blame their laziness on Bowles.  Its good to just make it up as you go along 

you're being serious, aren't you??

18 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

You as usual have it totally ass backwards.  No surprise though.  The reason this team massively overachieved to 5 wins this year?  the offense.  Bowles is a terrible coach,

4 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

You as usual have it totally ass backwards.  No surprise though.  The reason this team massively overachieved to 5 wins this year?  the offense.  Bowles is a terrible coach,

Yeah, backwards.  The HC doesn't shape the way the young players prepare and play.  Young players by virtue of being young are all trying to save their asses.  You're just going to spin it to suit your agenda.  Ridiculous and ass backwards thought process.  

Archived