Suck for Sam they said

Maxman

5 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Maybe you should look around and read.  The tank crowd is still ripping those of us who didn't agree for being stuck picking at 5 or so.  Will go down in flames thinking they had it figured out. That the 3rd or 4th pick would turn it all around but 5 or 6 is so, Jetsy, LOL

Yeah, like I said in the earlier post the only time I gave pro-tankers a hard time is in the game thread. I would hope that is for obvious reasons. Otherwise to my knowledge we just let people have at it.

The board is under-moderated by design. 

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, sourceworx said:

Deshaun Watson had a bigger impact in the few games he played than Jamal Adams and Marcus Maye have had combined playing a full season.

That's the difference between a QB and ******* safeties.

Jamal Adams was a wasted pick. We missed the chance to truly improve the team by passing on Watson and Mahomes. Sorry if that statement makes your a$$hole pucker, but hearing the truth hurts sometimes.

And Brady was an even bigger impact, would you have taken him 1st?  Shlt happens.  He had 5 good games, jets fan thinks that makes a season and career,

So you think ignoring one of the knocks on him, that he wouldn't stand up to the rigors of the NFL we're meaningless?  Especially when he didn't make it through half a season?   And I wanted Watson, but I get why they weren't taking him at 6.   

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Fair enough.  It comes down to wanting this team to win a title, but having different philosophies as to how to make that happen as soon as possible.  

I do hope you know I am messing around (the premise of this thread). Seriously just trying to have some fun. 

I would be beyond happy if Darnold is a Jet next year. I don't dislike the kid at all.

2 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Yeah, like I said in the earlier post the only time I gave pro-tankers a hard time is in the game thread. I would hope that is for obvious reasons. Otherwise to my knowledge we just let people have at it.

The board is under-moderated by design. 

Thankfully, it's a more interesting read this way

The bottom line is that, in the end, the people who wanted to start Petty and Hack the whole season were right.  We should have gone 0-16/1-15 and gotten Darnold or Rosen.  Going 5-11 with McCown has set this franchise back in multiple ways.  Not only has it cost us a top pick, but it's gotten the subpar Bowles an extension.

Now we're stuck with the following options:

1) Baker Mayfield, who is overhyped in my opinion

2) Josh Allen, who is a long-term speculative project

3) Hoping they find a mid-round diamond in the rough QB (yeah right)

4) Josh McCown (kill me)

5) Hoping a veteran like Cousins, Smith, or Eli becomes available and is willing to play for a mediocre coach in Bowles (not likely)

6) Trading a ton of high draft picks to Cleveland to move up to #1.  Probably the best option even though it's costly.

2 minutes ago, jetscrazey said:

The bottom line is that, in the end, the people who wanted to start Petty and Hack the whole season were right.  We should have gone 0-16/1-15 and gotten Darnold or Rosen.

4) Josh McCown (kill me)

5) Hoping a veteran like Cousins, Smith, or Eli becomes available and is willing to play for a mediocre coach in Bowles

6) Trading a ton of high draft picks to Cleveland to move up to #1.  Probably the best option even though it's costly.

Mediocre > bad > bowles 

4 minutes ago, Maxman said:

I do hope you know I am messing around (the premise of this thread). Seriously just trying to have some fun. 

I would be beyond happy if Darnold is a Jet next year. I don't dislike the kid at all.

I knew a lot of it was tongue in cheek, but it still provided interesting food for thought on whether he's still worth taking at the top.  Or, that maybe this performance would push Darnold into our territory (it won't).

There are generally six names being tossed around as potential first-rounders.  Darnold, Rosen, Allen, Mayfield, Rudolph, Jackson.  

What's interesting is that just over the season, we've seen a big fluctuation in how they are considered and we're almost at a point now where there isn't nearly as big a gap between any of them as we once thought.  Early on, it was Darnold and everyone else.  Then Darnold, Rosen and Allen and everyone else.  Now, I'm really not sure who CLE will take or if NYG will even take a QB.  Sitting at #6 or #7, we will have our pick of at least two, probably three and possibly four of those guys and chances are pretty good that the guy taken #1 will not be the best in the class five years down the road.

I was all in for the tank.  I still think we did ourselves no favors playing McCown and winning five games, but I'm far less concerned about our draft slot now than I was a few weeks ago and we still have a lot of offseason to get through.  Having said all of that, I am still dead set on us taking a QB and will be disappointed with any other pick unless, and only if, we do pick up Cousins.  I just don't know which one I even want anymore.

Just now, nycdan said:

There are generally six names being tossed around as potential first-rounders.  Darnold, Rosen, Allen, Mayfield, Rudolph, Jackson.  

What's interesting is that just over the season, we've seen a big fluctuation in how they are considered and we're almost at a point now where there isn't nearly as big a gap between any of them as we once thought.  Early on, it was Darnold and everyone else.  Then Darnold, Rosen and Allen and everyone else.  Now, I'm really not sure who CLE will take or if NYG will even take a QB.  Sitting at #6 or #7, we will have our pick of at least two, probably three and possibly four of those guys and chances are pretty good that the guy taken #1 will not be the best in the class five years down the road.

I was all in for the tank.  I still think we did ourselves no favors playing McCown and winning five games, but I'm far less concerned about our draft slot now than I was a few weeks ago and we still have a lot of offseason to get through.  Having said all of that, I am still dead set on us taking a QB and will be disappointed with any other pick unless, and only if, we do pick up Cousins.  I just don't know which one I even want anymore.

Giants are taking Rosen.  They'll be fools not to.  It's the right time.  Eli isn't Brady, he's taking a lot of hits over his career and won't play much longer.  Have Rosen sit behind Eli for a season and then hand the reins.

The Browns will probably take Darnold unless if some other team offers 3 first rounders.  Which the Jets should do, because QB is that important these days.

23 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

That's cool, but you've spent a full season trying to shame those on the other side of the argument, as if we're not "real fans".  It's quite clear.  

News flash:  We want the Jets to win too.  But in years where we're clearly not a playoff team or a Super Bowl contender, our future very likely depends on tanking properly at least once.  

I was firmly ok with tanking. 

Nothing I saw tonight or all season long says that Darnold would be worth the risk of that pick.  He looked like a flaming bag of dog sh*t tonight, and quite frankly, most of the season.  We were never out tanking the 0-16 Browns.  Rosen was the only QB worth "tanking" for and we were never winning 0 games.  It's time to seriously consider that, yeah, we jumped the gun when it came to crowning this class.

10 minutes ago, jetscrazey said:

The bottom line is that, in the end, the people who wanted to start Petty and Hack the whole season were right.  We should have gone 0-16/1-15 and gotten Darnold or Rosen.  Going 5-11 with McCown has set this franchise back in multiple ways.  Not only has it cost us a top pick, but it's gotten the subpar Bowles an extension.

4) Josh McCown (kill me)

5) Hoping a veteran like Cousins, Smith, or Eli becomes available and is willing to play for a mediocre coach in Bowles (not likely)

Validation! I like this guy.

but the real fans will say:

-Robbie Anderson would never have learned to run and catch without McCown starting ?

-5 wins is learning to win ?

-Chad Hansen would have never caught those 10 passes ?

-I even saw someone say recently that darron Lee is developing because of McCown. What! ?

2 cookie crowd ftw.

browns and giants have all offseason to get it right.

We’re left hoping that they leave us some good crumbs or that they will be willing to take all our draft picks for a chance at qb.

2 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

In no particular order I'm ok with Mayfield,Allen,Jackson and maybe Rudolph 

Darnold and Rosen will be gone by the time we pick and I'm not impressed with either. 

I have no idea how you can say that you aren't impressed with Josh Rosen, but say that you're ok with Jackson and Allen.

4 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

I have no idea how you can say that you aren't impressed with Josh Rosen, but say that you're ok with Jackson and Allen.

Josh Rosen seems like a prima-donna the few times I watched him play I wasn't impressed, my opinion. Ive been wrong before.

UCAL was 6-7 by the way with Rosen at QB

5 minutes ago, jetscrazey said:

Giants are taking Rosen.  They'll be fools not to.  It's the right time.  Eli isn't Brady, he's taking a lot of hits over his career and won't play much longer.  Have Rosen sit behind Eli for a season and then hand the reins.

The Browns will probably take Darnold unless if some other team offers 3 first rounders.  Which the Jets should do, because QB is that important these days.

That's how it looks now but this stuff almost always changes between December and May.  I have no idea how it will play out but I would venture to say there is a 50% or greater chance those two do not go 1-2 just based on history.  The Giants need OL so badly they may prefer to go OT this year and grab a QB next year.  Or they could decide after the combine that they like a different guy more.  Or they could be in play for one of the FA QBs.  Who knows with a new GM.  And CLE?  They'll take a QB but not even god knows which one.  

2 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Agreed. But in his last 3 games, Darnold had 4tds, 1int and a comp pct around 64pct. But yeah, he's still a little raw. But I posted before the game started in another thread that he was going up against a much better team. Both lines are being dominated by OSU. Barrett has ALL day. If you gave Darnold that kind of  time, instead of having 170 passing yards,  he'd have 250 passing yards at the half. 

There is a reason Peyton Manning couldn't win a Title at Tennessee and Tee Martin was able to win it the year he replaced Peyton...and it wasn't because LOL Tee Martin is better because I am Joewilly and I watch 1 college football game a year...

Look I hope there are a bunch of GMs as ignorant as many posters on this board who evaluate a player on a superficial level. 

What is your point here?  Should I trust his college football acumen or not?

Just now, joewilly12 said:

Josh Rosen seems like a prima-donna the few times I watched him play I wasn't impressed, my opinion. Ive been wrong before. 

Meh. 

So many of the best QBs are prima-donnas. Eli, Peyton, Brady, Rodgers, Cam, etc.  

I'll take every name off that list because they can sling it and sling it with deadly accuracy...so can Rosen.  We'd be blessed to get that guy.

26 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I knew a lot of it was tongue in cheek, but it still provided interesting food for thought on whether he's still worth taking at the top.  Or, that maybe this performance would push Darnold into our territory (it won't).

Oh if this perfomance dropped him from 1\2 to 6\7 that would be great. I would take him there. I would take him at 2, but I just wouldn't root for the 2nd pick.  :) But we don't have to go through all that again, haha.

His team was overmatched tonight. He threw for a ton of yards and despite the start he didn't melt down completely.

Scouts are going to love him during the workouts. I really do hope he comes out, would help the Jets regardless.

13 minutes ago, nycdan said:

That's how it looks now but this stuff almost always changes between December and May.  I have no idea how it will play out but I would venture to say there is a 50% or greater chance those two do not go 1-2 just based on history.  The Giants need OL so badly they may prefer to go OT this year and grab a QB next year.  Or they could decide after the combine that they like a different guy more.  Or they could be in play for one of the FA QBs.  Who knows with a new GM.  And CLE?  They'll take a QB but not even god knows which one.  

If the Giants don't go QB at # 2 this is going to be a FUN draft.

38 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

I was firmly ok with tanking. 

Nothing I saw tonight or all season long says that Darnold would be worth the risk of that pick.  He looked like a flaming bag of dog sh*t tonight, and quite frankly, most of the season.  We were never out tanking the 0-16 Browns.  Rosen was the only QB worth "tanking" for and we were never winning 0 games.  It's time to seriously consider that, yeah, we jumped the gun when it came to crowning this class.

Perhaps.  But say we're sitting at # 2 with Rosen off the board, and we don't like Darnold.  SOMEONE is going to come to us with a nice package of picks.  I'd like to be the team in that situation. 

The Rams built themselves into a contender largely because of the 2012 RG3 trade that netted them 3 first rounders.  Then, when they needed a QB, THEY had the flexibility to make a massive deal to get Goff four years later.  In that same 2016 draft, the Eagles moved up to get Wentz.  

The Titans have a bevy of picks because of the Trubisky deal.  And the Bears gave them that just to move up ONE slot.  2 years prior, the Titans had the # 2 pick and could have dealt it to Chip Kelly, but the Eagles weren't offering enough, and just went ahead and took Mariota.

So if you're counting at home, 3 of the last 6 drafts had trades involving the top 2 picks, with 4 such trades occurring.  A 4th draft COULD have had a trade like that had the Titans pulled the trigger.  And in the 2 years where no movement happened or was rumored to be happening, no QB's went in the top 2.  OT's went 1-2 in 2013, with no QB going until EJ Manuel (# 16).  Clowney and OT Greg Robinson went 1-2 in 2014, with Bortles going # 3.  No one was moving up to get Bortles.  

This year, QB's WILL very likely go 1-2, and maybe even 1-2-3.  So you can expect movement.  There's a lot of good things that come with sitting in the driver's seat. 

If you're not a Super Bowl contender, the best "Super Bowl" you can shoot for is a top 2 pick.  That's proven to be true the last 6 years.  Anywhere else and you're pretty much just spinning your wheels.  

Our best shot ... with wins by Giants, Indy, Tampa and Broncos, the draft order could be (depending on SF win/SOS situation/coin flip:

Cle. 

Indy.

NYG

Cle.

NYJ

That would guarantees one of: Darnold/Rosen/Mayfield/Chubb/Barkley

I could live with that.

Also, Cleveland x2 increases the likelihood of trading one.

Also, Indy has 2 qbs

Also, NYG might be attached to Eli.

Things could be ok. Please dont let the Jets jet this up.

3 hours ago, King P said:

Even last year when everybody was salivating over here, I firmly believe that Rosen >>>

Hopefully he stays in school so Cleveland can let us trade up and draft The Rosen One

You mean the guy who wasn't even able to play in his own bowl game  :/

2 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

I wanted the Jets to be bad but I also rooted for the Jets each and every week. The reality is this thread is terribly premature. You're acting like you've been proven right. If Darnold goes 2 to the giants and ends up being great and we end up without a franchise QB, this season will have been a colossal disaster. 

We just extended MacBowles, it is officially a disaster.

26 minutes ago, BrickTamland said:

Our best shot ... with wins by Giants, Indy, Tampa and Broncos, the draft order could be (depending on SF win/SOS situation/coin flip:

Cle. 

Indy.

NYG

Cle.

NYJ

That would guarantees one of: Darnold/Rosen/Mayfield/Chubb/Barkley

I could live with that.

Also, Cleveland x2 increases the likelihood of trading one.

Also, Indy has 2 qbs

Also, NYG might be attached to Eli.

Things could be ok. Please dont let the Jets jet this up.

I don't care where we pick as long as we pick Mayfield.

2 hours ago, August said:

He looks eerily like Ryan Fitzpatrick 

While more physically gifted, that's the comp I keep coming back to with regards to his playing style.  This is not as much of an insult as one might think.   If Fitz was more physically gifted he would probably been more of a long-term solution type QB rather than a journeyman.  Fitz's biggest issue is that his mind would write checks that his arm could not make.  Darnold will be able to complete a lot more of those passes that Fitz could not in NFL while still getting his share of turnovers like Fitz.

Archived