USC QB Sam Darnold and Louisville QB Lamar Jackson are inclined to return to school?

MTJ06

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, HessStation said:

Hmmm If I'm the #1 rated QB and lived my whole life in California I think the last place I ever want to play is:

1 cleveland

2 buffalo

3 Detroit 

4 Pittsburgh or Green Bay (however the franchise prestige off sets that a bit)

then probably Kansas City or something 

Thing is if you play for a team in one of those crappy towns, your not going to live in the inner city after picking up a multi million dollar check.  No more then they are going to live in the Bronx.

If he is a country boy, there is some beautiful land with in an hour's drive of all those crappy places.  Not to mention the expense, and taxes of living in the NY/NJ area  That's why about an hour after the last game 90% of these guys are on a plane home, maybe to the country around Pittsburgh.  If they want to go to the Big City, they can jump on a plane and be there in an hour.  An then back to their home in the country.  They can afford the plane fare 

Meh...the only people reporting this now are Walter Football and this dude:

Eric Galko

from Sporting News.  As far as I'm concerned they're all still just guessing with no real solid information and neither Walter Football or Eric Galko are known for having reliable inside sources that consistently break big news.

I hope they get hurt. Passing up millions for college, stupid! It would be like young stockbroker passing up a millions to leave school as junior but nah, I want to hang out with my friends for another year.

2 minutes ago, Jetster said:

I hope they get hurt. Passing up millions for college, stupid! It would be like young stockbroker passing up a millions to leave school as junior but nah, I want to hang out with my friends for another year.

Absolutely agree.

If they are interested in a degree, they can just go back to school at the end of their careers or take summer classes. You take the money. Period. 

52 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

HEY REMEMBER WHEN ALL YOU ****ERS LECTURED LIKE THE 7 OF US THAT THOUGHT IT WAS PREPOSTEROUS TO ABANDON A SEASON IN THE SPRING AND PASS UP A QUARTERBACK IN THE DRAFT BECAUSE 2018 WAS GONNA BE THE GREATEST QB CLASS EVER. GOOD TIMES. EVERYTHING IS WORKING OUT GREAT.

Those 5 wins worked out great as well. You act like we were abandoning a playoff team in order to draft 1 or 2. This season was the absolute worst case scenario; nowhere near good enough for contention but too many wins to have our choice of QBs without trading up not to mention extensions for our inept GM and coach. 

Darnold is a fool if he goes back.  He'll never sniff the #1/#2 pick in 2019.  His flaws, already well on display, will be analyzed and nitpicked all season long, and he'll wind up falling materially.  

Jackson should go back, he's not a first rounder and he's not ready for the big time.  He could vastly improve his stock if he has a great year and shows he can be an actual pro QB.

55 minutes ago, HessStation said:

LOL, you have multiple different arguments you like to combine into one I think. For example, the Browns are in a better position, roster wise and picks, and are better positioned for success than the Jets in the near future. Not including management as that's sort of a toss up. However, as a prospect looking at which franchise they'd rather go to, I'd think almost all would pick the Jets over Browns...because of the market (and personal reasons like, living in Cleveland for example) etc.

That said who cares who is 32nd and who is 31st. 

Management is anything but a tossup. Cleveland has a proven GM in Dorsey while we have arguably the worst GM in the league.

2 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Darnold is a fool if he goes back.  He'll never sniff the #1/#2 pick in 2019.  His flaws, already well on display, will be analyzed and nitpicked all season long, and he'll wind up falling materially.  

Jackson should go back, he's not a first rounder and he's not ready for the big time.  He could vastly improve his stock if he has a great year and shows he can be an actual pro QB.

This, 100%

Darnold has nowhere to go but down.  Jackson needs more tooling.

I think this posturing by Darnold's camp.  No way he goes back to school.

3 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Not to mention what happens to your draft stock if in late November a 320# tackle falls on your throwing shoulder

9 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I don't agree on Darnold. His flaws are already there. If not hurt he'll stay at the top of R1. 

Maybe the info he's getting is that he's falling now more than we think

8 minutes ago, Pennington said:

Management is anything but a tossup. Cleveland has a proven GM in Dorsey while we have arguably the worst GM in the league.

Yea, Clevelands a great place to live for 6 months, lol. Ugh. Cincy, Cleveland, KC, Buffalo, yuck. If I was an athlete I wouldn't want to live in those places. 

Baskerball is different only 10 guys & the stars make crazy insane money, others still make crazy money. 

7 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Yea, Clevelands a great place to live for 6 months, lol. Ugh. Cincy, Cleveland, KC, Buffalo, yuck. If I was an athlete I wouldn't want to live in those places. 

Baskerball is different only 10 guys & the stars make crazy insane money, others still make crazy money. 

NBA is way different the teams are outside of their city 50% of the year on the road.  NFL teams usually don’t travel til a coupe days before a roadgame

6 minutes ago, Jetster said:

What does living in Cleveland have to do with the management of the franchise. I wouldn't want to live there either but Dorsey is one of the best GMs in the league and Maccagnan is an idiot.

8 minutes ago, Jetster said:

I forgot about Cincinnati. Ughh

21 minutes ago, Pennington said:

The browns just went 1-31 and are keeping their HC that’s why Darnold won’t go there

2 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

The browns just went 1-31 and are keeping their HC that’s why Darnold won’t go there

I think it's just multiple reasons that being one of them. Add to it everything else that goes with playing QB for the Cleveland Browns. There's just nothing to look forward to. There's zero luster

I would be STUNNED if a player projected to go #1 or 2 will go back to school and risk inquiry because he doesn't want to play for a particular team.  There cannot possibly be anyone in his camp telling him to do this, despite what the rumors might be.

So if true, Darnold and Jackson out.  Rosen, Mayfield and Allen go 1,2,5.  That leaves us with Rudolph of all the QBs, which means we will pass and go defense, after not signing Cousins.  McCown back for another year of mediocrity.  FML.

In all likelihood Cleveland will have the number one pick again next year.

I really just don't know what the upside for him is.  Only possible idea is he wants to win a championship in college..but leaving 10's of million dollar up for chance it a very risky move.

1 minute ago, ChuckkieB said:

I would be STUNNED if a player projected to go #1 or 2 will go back to school and risk inquiry because he doesn't want to play for a particular team.  There cannot possibly be anyone in his camp telling him to do this, despite what the rumors might be.

I agree.  Elway and Eli have shown that players can shoot their way out of having to play for a particular team.  Rules have changed since Elway certainly, but in principal, I think the leverage is still strong enough on the player's side to win that fight.  They sit a year and re-enter the draft.  The team loses it's #1 pick permanently, not to mention the embarrassment.  I don't think any GM would risk that, especially a new one just coming in.

1 minute ago, nycdan said:

So if true, Darnold and Jackson out.  Rosen, Mayfield and Allen go 1,2,5.  That leaves us with Rudolph of all the QBs, which means we will pass and go defense, after not signing Cousins.  McCown back for another year of mediocrity.  FML.

They'll have someone else other than McCown like Keenum/Teddy but yeah...it will really suck if they go defense at 6 again.

Rudolph wouldn't terribly upset me though.

Question I have about all this speculation is what's really holding up their decision?

Seriously, they have until the 15th (it's not like they have 6 months)  What more can they figure out between now and then...I imagine they've been contemplating this decision the entire year, if not their whole life.

Are they both just drama queens?

Feels like that stupid thing high school prospects due with the hats.

4 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Question I have about all this speculation is what's really holding up their decision?

Seriously, they have until the 15th (it's not like they have 6 months)  What more can they figure out between now and then...I imagine they've been contemplating this decision the entire year, if not their whole life.

Is it possible they are posturing to extract a verbal commitment from CLE to not draft them?  From CLE's point of view, it still benefits them if they come out even if CLE doesn't draft them because it increases the value of both of their picks substantially.  I could see this being the case.

5 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Nothing wrong with taking some time to make the biggest decision in their lives. Especially for kids that may benefit from staying in school. 

I hope, for our sake, they come out.

1 minute ago, nycdan said:

Is it possible they are posturing to extract a verbal commitment from CLE to not draft them?  From CLE's point of view, it still benefits them if they come out even if CLE doesn't draft them because it increases the value of both of their picks substantially.  I could see this being the case.

It's the only thing I could think of.  Do things like this happen? I can't imagine Cleveland doing that though - what's in it for them?  

Unless they can work out a trade with Denver or the Jets or whoever else before hand. 

How awesome would that be though - Jets makes a trade this week for the number one pick!

2 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Nothing wrong with taking some time to make the biggest decision in their lives. Especially for kids that may benefit from staying in school. 

I hope, for our sake, they come out.

I hear ya, but they've had plenty of time.  I just don't know what's going to change between now and 12 days from now..

but, I guess they can say the same thing - no rush for them, in case they change their minds!  Just feels a little dramatic to me.

1 minute ago, FidelioJet said:

It's the only thing I could think of.  Do things like this happen? I can't imagine Cleveland doing that though - what's in it for them?  

Unless they can work out a trade with Denver or the Jets or whoever else before hand. 

How awesome would that be though - Jets makes a trade this week for the number one pick!

What's in it for CLE is keeping those guys in the draft makes their picks much more valuable in a trade.  If they don't come out, and Rosen is prepared to sit rather than play for CLE, they are out of options other than taking Mayfield at #1.  If they do come out and CLE trades the #1 pick, they get a lot more picks, still get Mayfield (at #4) and probably get the player they would have taken at #4, but at a slightly lower slot, say #6.  So they get the same two guys, but at 4 and 6 instead of 1 and 6 so cheaper, plus another 2nd rounder this year and 1st rounder next year (or something like that). 

Most importantly, they save face.  They don't want to trade the pick now, because it would make them look weak.  But they can wait right up until the day of the draft and make the trade if they want because once those QBs commit to the draft, there is no going back for them.

3 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I hear ya, but they've had plenty of time.  I just don't know what's going to change between now and 12 days from now..

but, I guess they can say the same thing - no rush for them, in case they change their minds!  Just feels a little dramatic to me.

Hopefully they won't be announcing their decision live on ESPN.  

1 hour ago, HessStation said:

Hmmm If I'm the #1 rated QB and lived my whole life in California I think the last place I ever want to play is:

1 cleveland

2 buffalo

3 Detroit 

4 Pittsburgh or Green Bay (however the franchise prestige off sets that a bit)

then probably Kansas City or something 

Aaron Rodgers has done just fine in Green Bay.  

John Elway seems to have adjusted in Denver.

Brady did OK at Michigan, and spectacular in New England.

Carson Palmer worked out fairly well in Cincinatti.

Rob Johnson in Buffalo and Cade McNown in Chicago? Not so much...

It doesn't matter, man.  A good QB can succeed almost anywhere.  A bad QB will fail almost anywhere.

Archived