Per sources, Jets could offer Kirk Cousins fully guaranteed contract. (Merged Cousins Jets $$$ thread)

2 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

The Broncos are hoping to win with the same talent they used to win the SUper Bowl (maybe worse if they let Talib go) a couple of years back. How often does that work in the NFL? Aging rosters of teams that used to be good tend to be the teams that get blown apart around this time. Not to mention the Broncos may have the only NFL coach demonstrably worse than the Jets. The broncos have less cap space and don't have an extra second round pick. 

The Broncos greatest attraction is John Elway who's last two big QB draft picks were Osweiller and Lynch. 

Again, the point isnt what the Broncos have now on their roster (which is much more than the Jets IMO) it's about, who is the better more stable operation that you have confidence can build a Super Bowl roster around you.  Anyone who says the Jets is lying to themselves.  

Vance Joseph may suck but he won 5 games this year starting 3 different sh*tty QB's.  The Jets got the best year ever out of a 12 year veteran and won 5 games.   They might be closer than we think.

In terms of "the greatest attraction" - the Jets have nothing attractive other than money.  And if that's all Cousin is concerned about, then we're golden.  If part of his decision making criteria is "who gives me the greater chance to succeed"  I mean, come the **** on. We're all Jets fan, we know better than anyone the answer is the Broncos. 

• Sympathy 1

20 hours ago, BCJet said:

He needs weapons today, he will need them 2/3 years from now and will need them after he turns 35.  Its not a defense 

Aside from Rogers and Brady every QB in the league needs weapons.  Matt Ryan would cost more then Cousins if he hit the open market and is the exact same type of QB that needs a good OC and good players to be successful.

Its not an indictment of Cousins that he needs weapons - Matt Stafford makes insane money too, and still needs weapons to be successful, its a team game and aside from finding a first ballot HOF QB, you need to give them weapons to be successful

Cousins lost 11 starters on offense, his top WRs & TE and managed 4100 yards, 27 TDs, only 13 INTs with a 65% comp. rate.  Doesn't seem like he's all that dependent on who's at his disposal. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

A desperate move by a sh*tty team. If you spend that insane guaranteed money on Cousins it means, they're going for it, and they'll need to sign the following to have any chance:

At least 2 maybe 3 olinemen. What was the online at the end of the year? First time in a long time I can't name the online.

WRs 1 and 2 as who knows how Quincy has recovered and Robby Anderson gets arrested every offseason/has issues.

A starting rb or better rbs for a committee. Matt is done and Bilal is the typical looks good because everything else we have sucks Jet, he makes a good play now and then, but the Jets in typical Jet fashion wasted his valuable young rb years giving him only a few touches here and there.

TE who knows but its always an issue.

And that's just on offense (yup, almost the whole offense) after you potentially just paid a QB 30+ million per. Paying Cousins that much will probably hinder signing the rest of the team needed because you aren't drafting every need in one season. Particularly the way the Jets draft.

On defenses:

A dline in flux. That's gonna need at least one player signed.

A LB unit that is a constant liability particularly in today's nfl. That's gonna cost money to fix.

CBs are they never an issue? Yup, more money.

Finally have two promising safeties though.

Oh, the punter and kicker are sh*t as always. Throw in a lack of depth pretty much anywhere and yeah the potential Cousins signing is doomed to failure. Also, you don't need a good qb to develop players (though I'm sure it doesn't hurt). You need good coaches to develop players. The definition of coaching is to teach for those who think a coach is merely a cheerleader who does conferences. https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/coach

As fans we'll be on this crazy train at least until Johnson is gone.

• Thumb Down 3

2 hours ago, MDL_JET said:

They have a ton of money to spend. They need a QB. A good one is hitting the market. Sooooo what's the problem here? 

I'm all for Kirk Cousins.  The Jets are terrible and I have no faith in their ability to draft a QB.  I'm firmly in the, go get Cousins camp.

But giving a guy with a career losing record a fully guaranteed contract is a little crazy to me.  Stats be damned.  

• Upvote 1

Kirk Cousins Rumors: Jets 'Willing to Pay Whatever It Takes' for Redskins QB

MIKE CHIARIFEBRUARY 19, 2018

FILE - In this Dec. 31, 2017, file photo, Washington Redskins quarterback Kirk Cousins (8) throws a pass during the first half of an NFL football game against the New York Giants in East Rutherford, N.J. Cousins says he is likely to wait until March for any possible negotiations with the Washington Redskins, indicating he would first make the team decide whether to apply a transition or franchise tag on him for the third year in a row. Appearing at a fan forum aired live on 106.7 The Fan, the local radio station on which the quarterback makes weekly regular-season appearances, Cousins said Friday, Jan. 5, 2018, he believes the Redskins are
Bill Kostroun/Associated Press

The New York Jets are reportedly willing to pay "whatever it takes" to sign quarterback Kirk Cousins in free agency, according to ESPN.com's Rich Cimini.

Cousins is likely to hit the open market after registering three consecutive 4,000-yard passing seasons with the Washington Redskins.

The 29-year-old Cousins played under the franchise tag each of the past two seasons, and while the Redskins could tag him again, it is unlikely.

Per Kimberley A. Martin of the Washington Post, Cousins plans to file a grievance with the NFL players' union if the Redskins franchise him.

Washington already agreed to a deal with the Kansas City Chiefs to acquire quarterback Alex Smith, meaning Cousins likely isn't in its plans.

Cousins could be in line for the richest quarterback contract in NFL history, and the Jets are among a handful of teams that would benefit greatly from his arrival.

During his three full seasons as the Redskins' starting quarterback, Cousins received one Pro Bowl nod and led the team to one NFC East title.

In 2017, Cousins completed 64.3 percent of his passes for 4,093 yards, 27 touchdowns and 13 interceptions, while rushing for an additional four scores.

The Jets went 5-11 in 2017 as 38-year-old journeyman Josh McCown started 13 games at quarterback.

McCown was serviceable with 18 touchdowns and nine interceptions, but New York is clearly in need of a long-term answer under center.

If the Jets are unable to sign Cousins, then they may be compelled to use the No. 6 overall pick in the 2018 NFL draft on a quarterback such as Sam Darnold, Josh Rosen, Baker Mayfield or Josh Allen.

2 hours ago, SMC said:

Kirk Cousins with a good draft and an easy schedule could get the Jets past what Fitz did 3 yrs ago.  Perhaps that is Macc's thinking.

I'm not going to lie, I'm in favor of throwing big money at Cousins because that's what getting QBs take these days.  No starter comes cheap.  Giving all guaranteed money, though, is tough.

This.  I think it would be different too if he was ours and we were resigning him based on his body of work done for the franchise. But giving a guy who's done nothing for this franchise and quite frankly, the franchise he plays for now...that's tough man.  Really tough.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, SMC said:

Frankly, this is my thinking as well.  They have the money, spend it.  Do a good job drafting players, especially with the first 4 picks.  Money can be spent.  Trading away picks prevents them from getting better later.

Cousins is coming off 3 straight years of 4000+ yards, 25+ TDs, 90+ QB rating, 64+ Comp. %.  It's not like Jets will be throwing money at a bum.

And that's the other part.  He's proven and I dont see him just sucking all of a sudden once we sign him.

The Jets arent the Mets from that perspective.  lmfao

3 minutes ago, JiF said:

I'm all for Kirk Cousins.  The Jets are terrible and I have no faith in their ability to draft a QB.  I'm firmly in the, go get Cousins camp.

But giving a guy with a career losing record a fully guaranteed contract is a little crazy to me.  Stats be damned.  

Well yeah, any ridiculous contract is not gonna be good if it cripples the team from doing anything else for the next few years. I just can't see them putting themselves in that position right now though. They know they're not one piece away. He's worth a big contract but not a damaging one. But guess we'll find out soon enough

1 minute ago, MDL_JET said:

Well yeah, any ridiculous contract is not gonna be good if it cripples the team from doing anything else for the next few years. I just can't see them putting themselves in that position right now though. They know they're not one piece away. He's worth a big contract but not a damaging one. But guess we'll find out soon enough

Right...I mean this whole conversation is speculation based on speculation.  We dont know that the Jets have a blank check with Kirk's name on it but where there is smoke, there is fire and I think any reasonable person would have some pause at that level of desperation. 

A fully guaranteed deal is intriguing if and only if that means that the average salary per year and/or number of years in the contract is lower than expected.

5 years 150 million fully guaranteed? That's crazy. I like Cousins, but that's crazy, I wouldn't give A-rod or Brady that deal.

4 years 100 million fully guaranteed? That's kind of savvy in a weird way. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Sully80 said:

I want Cousins, I'm for giving up big money for him. However, this is why Mac and Bowles should've been fired, now both of their seats are hot and neither of them want to bet their career on a rookie QB no matter how good they are so we'll get the sure thing while we're in cap hell in a few years. 30 million for Cousins is a lot, 30 Million guaranteed for 5-6 years? unheard of

Listen, I agree with you regarding Bowles, I just don't think he's improved as a coach but on the other hand, Cousins literally falling out of the sky with the Skins moving on for Alex Smith could be the best thing that's ever happened to us Jet fans & certainly might just save these 2 guys careers if they can somehow land him.

Look at Mike McCarthy up in Green Bay. EVERYONE looks up to the Packers but come on, they lose Rogers & they look no better than the god damn Jets, lol. These guys need a QB win & it just so happens that Maccs penchant for doing contracts that end in 2 years might be a godsend. I have no idea if we can land him? But, if we do it would be like the equivalent of hitting on a 6th rounder because guys as good as Cousins at 29 and literally heading into the PRIME of their career JUST DO NOT HIT THE MARKET! This guy has Matt Ryan/Stafford numbers, and those guys had Julio Jones, Freeman, Sanu, Gonzales, Calvin Johnson, Golden Tate, Marvin Jones. Anquan Boldin. 

This could be Maccs dream year as a GM. If he makes the right moves he'll be golden for at least 5 years.

• Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, Embrace the Suck said:

A desperate move by a sh*tty team. If you spend that insane guaranteed money on Cousins it means, they're going for it, and they'll need to sign the following to have any chance:

At least 2 maybe 3 olinemen. What was the online at the end of the year? First time in a long time I can't name the online.

WRs 1 and 2 as who knows how Quincy has recovered and Robby Anderson gets arrested every offseason/has issues.

A starting rb or better rbs for a committee. Matt is done and Bilal is the typical looks good because everything else we have sucks Jet, he makes a good play now and then, but the Jets in typical Jet fashion wasted his valuable young rb years giving him only a few touches here and there.

TE who knows but its always an issue.

And that's just on offense (yup, almost the whole offense) after you potentially just paid a QB 30+ million per. Paying Cousins that much will probably hinder signing the rest of the team needed because you aren't drafting every need in one season. Particularly the way the Jets draft.

On defenses:

A dline in flux. That's gonna need at least one player signed.

A LB unit that is a constant liability particularly in today's nfl. That's gonna cost money to fix.

CBs are they never an issue? Yup, more money.

Finally have two promising safeties though.

Oh, the punter and kicker are sh*t as always. Throw in a lack of depth pretty much anywhere and yeah the potential Cousins signing is doomed to failure. Also, you don't need a good qb to develop players (though I'm sure it doesn't hurt). You need good coaches to develop players. The definition of coaching is to teach for those who think a coach is merely a cheerleader who does conferences. https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/coach

As fans we'll be on this crazy train at least until Johnson is gone.

Wow, you truly do embrace the suck. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, BCJet said:

Ahh, the uninformed "its all the QB" argument

Matt Ryan  2014 - 66.1%  4694  28  14     Falcons went 6-10

Matt Ryan  2017   64.7%   4095  20  12    Falcons went  10-6

Im confused, he had better stats in 2014 but they lost more games, could it be they played better defense in 2017 or something else outside of Ryan's performance?

The QB is the most important player, but there are 21 other guys who help determine the outcome of the games.

The misinformed fan who thinks looking at stats tells the actual real story lol.

• Thumb Down 2

1 hour ago, Jetster said:

These are not things that are totally out of the realm of possibility, in fact all these things can be accomplished, maybe not with these exact players.

So can hitting on a QB in the top 6, and I’d argue this year your odds are much higher then any year since 2004.

• Thumb Down 1

7 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Wow, you truly do embrace the suck. 

Just pointing out the obvious. Signing Cousins is something you do if you have a decent team that needs a qb. The jets would be just making a splash move with that signing. I deal with being a Jets fan one day at a time. Embracing that horrid reality doesn't mean I'm impervious to outbursts.

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, SMC said:

What are you referencing?  Cousins never went 1-7.  He was a backup his 1st 3 seasons in which he was an injury replacement.  He started 1 game in 2012 (1-0), started 3 games in 2013 (0-3) and 5 games in 2014 (1-4).

As a full time starter (as I previously mentioned was the basis) the last 3 years he is 24-23-1.

Again, Drew Brees in his last FIVE seasons before this season was 7-9, 11-5, 7-9, 7-8 and 7-9.  That's only 39-40. Does Brees suck?  Saints drafted well and the team was 11-5 this past season.

2013 and 2014 he started 8 games in those 8 starts he was 1-7 look sh*t up before you spew nonsense.

• Thumb Down 1

2 minutes ago, Embrace the Suck said:

Just pointing out the obvious. Signing Cousins is something you do if you have a decent team that needs a qb. The jets would be just making a splash move with that signing. I deal with being a Jets fan one day at a time. Embracing that horrid reality doesn't mean I'm impervious to outbursts.

Sounds like something a Same Old Jags Fan would have said before last season. Teams go from bad to great very fast in the NFL. Adding a franchise level QB like Cousins is what can turn a 5 win team into a 10 win team especially when coupled with more cap space and 3 picks in the first 49 picks. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

51 minutes ago, sourceworx said:

Funny, you made similar (if not crazier) excuses for Sam Darnold after he stunk up the field repeatedly this past season.

Your one of few morons that actually think Darnold stunk up the field this past season, you must have not watched his final 7 games where he played like the No. 1 prospect, and future No. 1 overall pick (book it all this sh*t this time of the year is just noise).  But you no better then everyone else got it.

• Thumb Down 1

3 minutes ago, Embrace the Suck said:

Have a little faith, Bowles & Macc just had a QB land on their f*cking heads because there is an organization & owner as stupid as the one in England right now. Equivalent to brinks truck flipping over & spilling gold bars into a bums tent.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

On the bright side if we did have to get locked into something sizable, long, fully guaranteed...it's not like the Jets have a ton of in house priorities that they cant live without.  On the negative side, they're in that situation because they've drafted horrifically and the only way to really build with that type of a yearly cap hit is through the draft.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Sounds like something a Same Old Jags Fan would have said before last season. Teams go from bad to great very fast in the NFL. Adding a franchise level QB like Cousins is what can turn a 5 win team into a 10 win team especially when coupled with more cap space and 3 picks in the first 49 picks. 

I hope you're right. Having said that the Jets have repeatedly screwed up everything you mentioned as rays of hope. Money? See wilkerson. Draft picks? See hackenburg. I'm still trying to figure out drafting a qb in the second round who will never play a single down. How can he be so bad and they missed it?

1 hour ago, JiF said:

Sign Cousins? Ok, whatever.

Make Cousins the highest paid player in history? wait what

Sign Cousins to the biggest contract ever and guarantee it for five years? GTFO

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

41 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

Your one of few morons that actually think Darnold stunk up the field this past season, you must have not watched his final 7 games where he played like the No. 1 prospect, and future No. 1 overall pick (book it all this sh*t this time of the year is just noise).  But you no better then everyone else got it.

How did he look in his last game against OSU? Oh that's right he turned the ball over a bunch of times. His M.O.

Oh and by the way, wash the sand out of your clit. I never attacked you personally. 

17 minutes ago, Embrace the Suck said:

I hope you're right. Having said that the Jets have repeatedly screwed up everything you mentioned as rays of hope. Money? See wilkerson. Draft picks? See hackenburg. I'm still trying to figure out drafting a qb in the second round who will never play a single down. How can he be so bad and they missed it?

Listen, we are all in agreement on that! And, if he was THAT BAD along with Petty who sucks too, how do you pass on Deshaun Watson? Water under the bridge now.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

He really doesn’t sorry.

Okay I need some clarification because statistically they are all in the same wheel house:

1,157 comp - 66% - 85 TDs - 33 INTs - 13,035 yards

1,276 comp - 67% - 86 TDs - 45 INTs - 13,928 yards

1,132 comp - 67% - 81 TDs - 34 INTs - 13,176 yards

I'd say Cousins being compared to Stafford and Ryan is fair.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Listen, we are all in agreement on that! And, if he was THAT BAD along with Petty who sucks too, how do you pass on Deshaun Watson? Water under the bridge now.

It’s not water under the bridge thou, it would be if the Jets did the right thing, and sh*t canned all the morons that ****ed this thing up the last 3 years, until then the water is firmly entrenched flooding the bridge.  And we want to allow these fools to make a decision to write a 150 million check for one mediocre QB lol.

• Thumb Down 1

1 minute ago, bla bla bla said:

Okay I need some clarification because statistically they are all in the same wheel house:

1,157 comp - 66% - 85 TDs - 33 INTs - 13,035 yards

1,276 comp - 67% - 86 TDs - 45 INTs - 13,928 yards

1,132 comp - 67% - 81 TDs - 34 INTs - 13,176 yards

I'd say Cousins being compared to Stafford and Ryan is fair.

Again take your stats elsewhere I’ll use my eyes, and know he is not in the same class as either.

• Thumb Down 5
  • Haha 2

51 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

The misinformed fan who thinks looking at stats tells the actual real story lol.

The stats have nothing to do with it.  I used one of the many examples where a team has a poor season because of factors outside of QB play.  The falcons in 2014 and 2017 had a good running game, Julio and the same QB who had similar seasons, yet their win total changed dramatically - it was because their defense played better.

Cousins isn't rogers - he won't carry a team no matter what.  But to judge his W-L record when his defense was in the bottom 5 in the league twice, means you aren't looking objectively at how many other factors go into winning then just the QB

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 2