Per sources, Jets could offer Kirk Cousins fully guaranteed contract. (Merged Cousins Jets $$$ thread)

36 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

http://amp.profootballweekly.com/lists/2018/02/19/4a8739b093db442ebd542e0c20f19cc0/?__twitter_impression=true

tl;dr This prediction has it the Jets whiff on everyone (Cousins to Minnesota, Tyrod to Denver, McCarron to Browns) and the Jets end up re-signing McCown, two years/$25 million. 

I think this could really happen, but Cousins is the only one of those that I would want.

McCown is ok if the Jets draft a QB at 6.

• Upvote 1

Anybody ever see Jimmy G's contract? The Jets could give KC8 that contract structure to a T, but with about 2-3 million a year more. That would be pretty perfect, I think. 

And yes, it would be market value, the QB with three starting years should get more than the one with 7 games underneath their belt. 

• Upvote 3

If we give him $60M that would leave us with $40M to spend assuming we sit at $111M after cutting Skrine, Mo, Ijalana, Forte, and Smith. If Kirk averaged $30M per year (5 years $150M) and we gave him $60M year 1 I'd look to give him $35M year 2. That would make his contract look like this:

5 years $150M - $30M signing bonus - 3 years guaranteed ($114M) edit: for the deal I'm about to describe you can make it 100% guaranteed as long as he's on the roster but still could cut him after year 3.

Year 1 - $54M + $6M SB = cap hit $60M

Year 2 - $29M + $6M SB = cap hit $35M

Year 3 - $13M + $6M SB = cap hit $19M

Year 4 - $12M + $6M SB = cap hit $18M

Year 5 - $12M + $6M SB = cap hit $18M

The highest average annual salary is Jimmy G at $27.5M or 15.4%, they front loaded his deal so his cap hits will be 37, 20, 26, 27, 27 (according to OTC). Meaning his percentage drastically drops as his contract progresses.

Projected Cap Percentage for Cousins:

2018 - $178M = 33.7% ($40M in cap remaining)

2019 - $190M = 18.4% ($45M in cap remaining)

2020 - $200M = 9.5% (Williams, & Jenkins hit FA)

2021 - $210M = 8.6%

2022 - $220M = 8.2% 

Just to put that in perspective 9.5% of the cap in 2020 is the equivalent of 18th highest paid QB for 2017. So while I don't believe Kirk is the best QB in the NFL I do believe he is a top 18 QB. For me the question then becomes is $40M this year + draft and $45M next year + draft enough to add talent to this team to make us a contender throughout this contract?

While I do think $60M is insane for 1 year I do think that $40M should be enough to resign our own guys (high estimate) Claiborne $8, ASJ $6, Davis $8, Enunwa $3, and Catanzaro $2 = $27M we should have enough room for 1 additional top FA or 2 middle of the pack FAs. As I've mentioned before, a lot of teams have a lot of money so I'm not sure it is realistic to think we land a ton of top FAs. If I could target 1 FA I'd like it to be Jensen and then probably resign Ealy to play DE. 

Draft Needs (G, RB, Edge, CB) - I left out WR because I think we do like what we have this year and want to test our own players before investing heavily at that position. I don't think Robby gets more than a game or two. This will depend heavily on Enunwa's health as well because if he isn't good to go I believe we look for a WR in FA or with a top 4 round pick. 

I think in some shape or form the top 5 will shake down as 3 QBs + Barkley & Chubb. That would mean Nelson and Minkah could be high on our list if we can't trade down. I do think we want to run the ball more and drafting Nelson while cutting Carpenter, who apparently isn't a fit for our new scheme, saves us an additional $4.2M. Money that could be used towards a camp cut WR if we don't like how our depth looks.

I would expect the next 3 picks to be Edge/CB/RB I like a lot of the RBs in this draft so depending on how the board falls I'd like us to target a CB or Edge Rusher at 2a & 2b to give us the better value. Our early 3rd would be the perfect spot to target a RB. After that you likely go BPA at any position. Heading into 2019 you likely need to address LT and WR with $45M and draft picks which IMO shouldn't be terribly hard to do.

I would prefer the first year cap hit to be $40M rather than $60M for Cousins so we can add a C, CB, and 2nd tier WR in FA but if that's the price to have sustained success then so be it.

I think this roster would be enough to land us in the playoffs in a weak AFC and then 2019 and beyond should be the years we really set our eyes on a SB.

TL;DR - I think that you can win a Super Bowl with Kirk being paid as the 18th highest paid QB.

• Upvote 3

8 hours ago, Gastineau Lives said:

Mark Sanchez - Awesome

Kirk Cousins - Sucks

Interesting planet you live on.

David Carr put together his list of best available QBs in free agency or the draft.

#1- Drew Brees (everyone knows Brees wants to stay in New Orleans but he is a free agent)

#2- Kirk Cousins (because he's Ryan Fitzpatrick II?)

* Something I didn't know. Kirk Cousins has the record for having 25 passing TDs three years in a row. 1st QB in Redskins history to do that. This narrative that Kirk Cousins is not a very good QB is ridiculous. Carr said last night, "I'm sure there are teams in the NFL that would trade there current starting QB for Kirk Cousins if they could". 

• Upvote 1

Stop acting like a 1st round QB is a solid plan... Crap shoot at best... Maybe 10 out of the 45 were as good as Cousins

Here's a list of the 45 quarterbacks selected in the first round this century:

2016:

1. Jared Goff, California, Rams

2. Carson Wentz, North Dakota State, Eagles

26. Paxton Lynch, Memphis, Broncos

___

2015:

1. Jameis Winston, Florida State, Buccaneers

2. Marcus Mariota, Oregon, Titans

___

2014:

3. Blake Bortles, Central Florida, Jaguars

22. Johnny Manziel, Texas A&M, Browns

32. Teddy Bridgewater, Louisville, Vikings

___

2013:

16. EJ Manuel, Florida State, Bills

___

2012:

1. Andrew Luck, Stanford, Colts

2. Robert Griffin III, Baylor, Redskins

8. Ryan Tannehill, Texas A&M, Dolphins

22. Brandon Weeden, Oklahoma State, Browns

___

2011:

1. Cam Newton, Auburn, Panthers

8. Jake Locker, Washington, Titans

10. Blaine Gabbert, Missouri, Jaguars

12. Christian Ponder, Florida State, Vikings

___

2010:

1. Sam Bradford, Oklahoma, Rams

25. Tim Tebow, Florida, Broncos

___

2009:

1. Matthew Stafford, Georgia, Lions

5. Mark Sanchez, USC, Jets

17. Josh Freeman, Kansas State, Buccaneers

___

2008:

3. Matt Ryan, Boston College, Falcons

18. Joe Flacco, Delaware, Ravens

___

2007:

1. JaMarcus Russell, LSU, Raiders

22. Brady Quinn, Notre Dame, Browns

___

2006:

3. Vince Young, Texas, Titans

10. Matt Leinart, USC, Cardinals

11. Jay Cutler, Vanderbilt, Broncos

___

2005:

1. Alex Smith, Utah, 49ers

24. Aaron Rodgers, Cal, Packers

25. Jason Campbell, Auburn, Redskins

___

2004:

1. Eli Manning, Mississippi, Chargers

4. Philip Rivers, North Carolina State, Giants

11. Ben Roethlisberger, Miami (Ohio), Steelers

22. J.P. Losman, Tulane, Bills

___

2003:

1. Carson Palmer, USC, Bengals

7. Byron Leftwich, Marshall, Jaguars

19. Kyle Boller, Cal, Ravens

22. Rex Grossman, Florida, Bears

___

2002:

1. David Carr, Fresno State, Texans

3. Joey Harrington, Oregon, Lions

32. Patrick Ramsey, Tulane, Redskins

___

2001:

1. Michael Vick, Virginia Tech, Falcons

___

2000:

18. Chad Pennington, Marshall, Jets

• Upvote 3

14 minutes ago, Jetster said:

David Carr put together his list of best available QBs in free agency or the draft.

#1- Drew Brees (everyone knows Brees wants to stay in New Orleans but he is a free agent)

#2- Kirk Cousins (because he's Ryan Fitzpatrick II?)

* Something I didn't know. Kirk Cousins has the record for having 25 passing TDs three years in a row. 1st QB in Redskins history to do that. This narrative that Kirk Cousins is not a very good QB is ridiculous. Carr said last night, "I'm sure there are teams in the NFL that would trade there current starting QB for Kirk Cousins if they could". 

These stats are mostly irrelevant.  This is the "defense is illegal" era of the NFL.

5 minutes ago, ECURB said:

Stop acting like a 1st round QB is a solid plan... Crap shoot at best... Maybe 10 out of the 45 were as good as Cousins

Here's a list of the 45 quarterbacks selected in the first round this century:

2016:

1. Jared Goff, California, Rams

2. Carson Wentz, North Dakota State, Eagles

26. Paxton Lynch, Memphis, Broncos

___

2015:

1. Jameis Winston, Florida State, Buccaneers

2. Marcus Mariota, Oregon, Titans

___

2014:

3. Blake Bortles, Central Florida, Jaguars

22. Johnny Manziel, Texas A&M, Browns

32. Teddy Bridgewater, Louisville, Vikings

___

2013:

16. EJ Manuel, Florida State, Bills

___

2012:

1. Andrew Luck, Stanford, Colts

2. Robert Griffin III, Baylor, Redskins

8. Ryan Tannehill, Texas A&M, Dolphins

22. Brandon Weeden, Oklahoma State, Browns

___

2011:

1. Cam Newton, Auburn, Panthers

8. Jake Locker, Washington, Titans

10. Blaine Gabbert, Missouri, Jaguars

12. Christian Ponder, Florida State, Vikings

___

2010:

1. Sam Bradford, Oklahoma, Rams

25. Tim Tebow, Florida, Broncos

___

2009:

1. Matthew Stafford, Georgia, Lions

5. Mark Sanchez, USC, Jets

17. Josh Freeman, Kansas State, Buccaneers

___

2008:

3. Matt Ryan, Boston College, Falcons

18. Joe Flacco, Delaware, Ravens

___

2007:

1. JaMarcus Russell, LSU, Raiders

22. Brady Quinn, Notre Dame, Browns

___

2006:

3. Vince Young, Texas, Titans

10. Matt Leinart, USC, Cardinals

11. Jay Cutler, Vanderbilt, Broncos

___

2005:

1. Alex Smith, Utah, 49ers

24. Aaron Rodgers, Cal, Packers

25. Jason Campbell, Auburn, Redskins

___

2004:

1. Eli Manning, Mississippi, Chargers

4. Philip Rivers, North Carolina State, Giants

11. Ben Roethlisberger, Miami (Ohio), Steelers

22. J.P. Losman, Tulane, Bills

___

2003:

1. Carson Palmer, USC, Bengals

7. Byron Leftwich, Marshall, Jaguars

19. Kyle Boller, Cal, Ravens

22. Rex Grossman, Florida, Bears

___

2002:

1. David Carr, Fresno State, Texans

3. Joey Harrington, Oregon, Lions

32. Patrick Ramsey, Tulane, Redskins

___

2001:

1. Michael Vick, Virginia Tech, Falcons

___

2000:

18. Chad Pennington, Marshall, Jets

This list should scare the hell out of every Jet fan, especially with us picking at SIX. How many of those QBs would you put ahead of Kirk Cousins right now? 

Aaron Rogers, Cam Newton? Wentz?, after that things are even. Look at Goffs offensive weapons, Gurley, Watkins, ect., I think Cousins is just as good as Stafford, Ryan, Mariotta. 

I would take Cousins over Luck right now due to injuries. This is why I'm all in on Cousins.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 3

3 minutes ago, Flushing Roots said:

Our luck we'll give Cousins 30 a year guaranteed and he'll go down like Vinnie in game 1 in '99.

Well, that could happen to any NFL player, including Mayfield. Green Bay will have to pay Rogers soon, he's had concussions. 

13 hours ago, Paradis said:

What a total sh*tshow the top 10 is this year. Barkley is really the only sure thing. Everyone else comes with asterisk -- right through every QB, defensive player and such. I guess I'd say Nelson offers a safe bet, like barkley -- but both aren't ideal picks in the top 5-6 from a value standpoint.

Then again -- that's every year. 

This year seems to me that outside the QBs, Barkley, Nelson and Chubb there is a smaller then usual difference between pick 8 and pick 28.  Would a team really be smarter taking Marcus Davenport at 8 vs Harold Landry at 20+?"  How about connor williams (who IMO isnt even close to an elite prospect) in the top 12 vs Billy Price in the 20s?  Is Calvin Ridley in the top 15 definitely better then James Washington?  

Personally, if we take get Cousins Id be happy with Chubb or Nelson.  If not, I hope a team wants a QB and is willing to trade up and lets get as many guys in the 20-50 range as we can - Oline, an edge prospect, CB, RB, WR.  

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, bla bla bla said:

If we give him $60M that would leave us with $40M to spend assuming we sit at $111M after cutting Skrine, Mo, Ijalana, Forte, and Smith. If Kirk averaged $30M per year (5 years $150M) and we gave him $60M year 1 I'd look to give him $35M year 2. That would make his contract look like this:

5 years $150M - $30M signing bonus - 3 years guaranteed ($114M) edit: for the deal I'm about to describe you can make it 100% guaranteed as long as he's on the roster but still could cut him after year 3.

Year 1 - $54M + $6M SB = cap hit $60M

Year 2 - $29M + $6M SB = cap hit $35M

Year 3 - $13M + $6M SB = cap hit $19M

Year 4 - $12M + $6M SB = cap hit $18M

Year 5 - $12M + $6M SB = cap hit $18M

The highest average annual salary is Jimmy G at $27.5M or 15.4%, they front loaded his deal so his cap hits will be 37, 20, 26, 27, 27 (according to OTC). Meaning his percentage drastically drops as his contract progresses.

Projected Cap Percentage for Cousins:

2018 - $178M = 33.7% ($40M in cap remaining)

2019 - $190M = 18.4% ($45M in cap remaining)

2020 - $200M = 9.5% (Williams, & Jenkins hit FA)

2021 - $210M = 8.6%

2022 - $220M = 8.2% 

Just to put that in perspective 9.5% of the cap in 2020 is the equivalent of 18th highest paid QB for 2017. So while I don't believe Kirk is the best QB in the NFL I do believe he is a top 18 QB. For me the question then becomes is $40M this year + draft and $45M next year + draft enough to add talent to this team to make us a contender throughout this contract?

While I do think $60M is insane for 1 year I do think that $40M should be enough to resign our own guys (high estimate) Claiborne $8, ASJ $6, Davis $8, Enunwa $3, and Catanzaro $2 = $27M we should have enough room for 1 additional top FA or 2 middle of the pack FAs. As I've mentioned before, a lot of teams have a lot of money so I'm not sure it is realistic to think we land a ton of top FAs. If I could target 1 FA I'd like it to be Jensen and then probably resign Ealy to play DE. 

Draft Needs (G, RB, Edge, CB) - I left out WR because I think we do like what we have this year and want to test our own players before investing heavily at that position. I don't think Robby gets more than a game or two. This will depend heavily on Enunwa's health as well because if he isn't good to go I believe we look for a WR in FA or with a top 4 round pick. 

I think in some shape or form the top 5 will shake down as 3 QBs + Barkley & Chubb. That would mean Nelson and Minkah could be high on our list if we can't trade down. I do think we want to run the ball more and drafting Nelson while cutting Carpenter, who apparently isn't a fit for our new scheme, saves us an additional $4.2M. Money that could be used towards a camp cut WR if we don't like how our depth looks.

I would expect the next 3 picks to be Edge/CB/RB I like a lot of the RBs in this draft so depending on how the board falls I'd like us to target a CB or Edge Rusher at 2a & 2b to give us the better value. Our early 3rd would be the perfect spot to target a RB. After that you likely go BPA at any position. Heading into 2019 you likely need to address LT and WR with $45M and draft picks which IMO shouldn't be terribly hard to do.

I would prefer the first year cap hit to be $40M rather than $60M for Cousins so we can add a C, CB, and 2nd tier WR in FA but if that's the price to have sustained success then so be it.

I think this roster would be enough to land us in the playoffs in a weak AFC and then 2019 and beyond should be the years we really set our eyes on a SB.

TL;DR - I think that you can win a Super Bowl with Kirk being paid as the 18th highest paid QB.

Spot on.

AND he put a TL;DR section in his post! That should be a feature in all Sperm-esque posts.

• Sympathy 2

46 minutes ago, BCJet said:

This year seems to me that outside the QBs, Barkley, Nelson and Chubb there is a smaller then usual difference between pick 8 and pick 28.  Would a team really be smarter taking Marcus Davenport at 8 vs Harold Landry at 20+?"  How about connor williams (who IMO isnt even close to an elite prospect) in the top 12 vs Billy Price in the 20s?  Is Calvin Ridley in the top 15 definitely better then James Washington?  

Personally, if we take get Cousins Id be happy with Chubb or Nelson.  If not, I hope a team wants a QB and is willing to trade up and lets get as many guys in the 20-50 range as we can - Oline, an edge prospect, CB, RB, WR.  

That would be a good plan.  

I would rather have Cousins than Mayfield or Allen, but I can see Mac getting queasy about trading the 6th pick to the Bills.  That would be the b&llsy move though.  

1 hour ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

The players tend to stick together.

I tend to agree with this but if a player earns $60M in year 1 and holds out at any point of a 5 year contract after receiving the highest deal in league history you'd have to imagine every player on this roster would be angry. Kirk doesn't strike me as the type of player to sign that kind of deal and then hold out for more when the whole purpose of structuring his contract that way was so he could have a chance to win a super bowl by keeping his cap hit lower in later years.

18 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

Did you miss the first sentence of the 2nd paragraph?  You draft, and develop your own QB, and like the Redskins when you realize you can’t win with him you move on!

The Redskins who "realize" this just traded for 34 year-old Alex Smith and then agreed with him on a ~$24m/year extension with 3 years guaranteed.

The Redskins didn't realize they couldn't win with him so much as they realized they couldn't come to terms agreements with him. They offered him long extensions 2 years in a row but were always $1-2m/year short. Yet even after coming up short 2 seasons ago, in 2017 they upped their offer to above what would've gotten a deal done in 2016. 

They wanted him. This is just a matter of 2 sides not coming to agreement. By this year, I think it became a matter of pride/ego, not to offer the same player some $30m/year when they could've had this done 2 years ago at $20m/year or 1 year ago at $24m/year. Alex Smith has proven little (if anything) more than Cousins, since he's the ultimate game manager. The Chiefs had him cheap for 2 more years and they still traded up to get Pat Mahomes. Then after another solid season from Smith, they went with the guy who had 1 inconsequential start in a meaningless week 17 game.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

18 hours ago, JiF said:

Right...I mean this whole conversation is speculation based on speculation.  We dont know that the Jets have a blank check with Kirk's name on it but where there is smoke, there is fire and I think any reasonable person would have some pause at that level of desperation. 

time and time again we have learned that this old adage is not necessarily true when it comes to off season NFL reporting.  In fact, it's more often untrue than true.  For NFL reporting you need to change the adage to "where there is smoke, there is more likely a smokescreen rather than a fire".

After all these years, you still don't know this?

18 hours ago, Tony MaC said:

A fully guaranteed deal is intriguing if and only if that means that the average salary per year and/or number of years in the contract is lower than expected.

5 years 150 million fully guaranteed? That's crazy. I like Cousins, but that's crazy, I wouldn't give A-rod or Brady that deal.

4 years 100 million fully guaranteed? That's kind of savvy in a weird way. 

my prediction: Not sure what team it will be, but Cousins will take a 5-year, $150 million contract with $100 million guaranteed over the first 3 years.

There is no rule that you can't win with a QB another team let go. It's just unusual is all, because there are few enough good ones out there that GMs rarely look to upgrade, and instead focus on building a team around the one they've got. Take Brees, for instance. What if in 2006 New Orleans decided, "Well if he was so good then the Chargers wouldn't have drafted Rivers, and even after his turnaround they'd have traded Rivers instead of Brees. He wasn't good enough for them so why is he good enough for us? Plus now he's got a torn labrum on top of that and can't even throw until after the contract's dry."

Despite being a veteran let go by his former team, Brees was a good enough QB to win with in NO; Warner and then Palmer in Arizona (and likely, Palmer in Oakland before that if they had a team or coaching around him); Hasselbeck in Seattle; Collins with the Giants, etc.

Just because a loser franchise like Washington is letting him go doesn't mean Cousins is therefore a loser QB. I'm not a Skins game junkie, but just like Jets fans would make endless excuses for the likes of Fitzpatrick, Sanchez, Pennington, etc. I'm sure there are plenty of reasons beyond KC's stats or supposed choking that heavily contributed to losses.

That said, even the very idea of a 100% guaranteed contract - again, if there's truth to it - would be yet another example as to why Macc & Bowles should have both been fired instead of extended. So we extend these 2 boobs for another 2 years on top of the 1 each had remaining, and even before the combine shuffles things around a bit, Macc's already dead-set to lock the team into a $30m castoff for the next 5 seasons? If it doesn't pan out, and it finally dawns upon the Johnsons that they both need to go, who's going to want this HC/GM job until 2023?

It'd be a glaring admission that this scout-by-trade again doesn't believe in his own scouting skills to get the team a FQB, even in a draft like this, and is going with what he believes is the safest thing to save his own skin, via immediate FQB rather than necessarily the best FQB. It's no accident, or failure of all other teams to see value, that even the best QBs of all time never got fully guaranteed (veteran) contracts in the salary cap era from the teams that knew them best. 

The Skins screwed the pooch with Cousins and should never have put him in a position to walk away. I can't think of a better QB to hit the FA market in a long time, and if he lands with the Jets it would be hard to complain.  That being said, my inner Jets fan would rather them draft a QB which might sound illogical to some, but being a Jets fan for so long makes one think illogically a lot of the time.  It's true.  It's science. 

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

There is no rule that you can't win with a QB another team let go. It's just unusual is all, because there are few enough good ones out there that GMs rarely look to upgrade, and instead focus on building a team around the one they've got. Take Brees, for instance. What if in 2006 New Orleans decided, "Well if he was so good then the Chargers wouldn't have drafted Rivers, and even after his turnaround they'd have traded Rivers instead of Brees. He wasn't good enough for them so why is he good enough for us? Plus now he's got a torn labrum on top of that and can't even throw until after the contract's dry."

Despite being a veteran let go by his former team, Brees was a good enough QB to win with in NO; Warner and then Palmer in Arizona (and likely, Palmer in Oakland before that if they had a team or coaching around him); Hasselbeck in Seattle; Collins with the Giants, etc.

Just because a loser franchise like Washington is letting him go doesn't mean Cousins is therefore a loser QB. I'm not a Skins game junkie, but just like Jets fans would make endless excuses for the likes of Fitzpatrick, Sanchez, Pennington, etc. I'm sure there are plenty of reasons beyond KC's stats or supposed choking that heavily contributed to losses.

That said, even the very idea of a 100% guaranteed contract - again, if there's truth to it - would be yet another example as to why Macc & Bowles should have both been fired instead of extended. So we extend these 2 boobs for another 2 years on top of the 1 each had remaining, and even before the combine shuffles things around a bit, Macc's already dead-set to lock the team into a $30m castoff for the next 5 seasons? If it doesn't pan out, and it finally dawns upon the Johnsons that they both need to go, who's going to want this HC/GM job until 2023?

It'd be a glaring admission that this scout-by-trade again doesn't believe in his own scouting skills to get the team a FQB, even in a draft like this, and is going with what he believes is the safest thing to save his own skin, via immediate FQB rather than necessarily the best FQB. It's no accident, or failure of all other teams to see value, that even the best QBs of all time never got fully guaranteed (veteran) contracts in the salary cap era from the teams that knew them best. 

It's not a glaring admission, it's just....smart. You have a good proven talented QB hitting the open market, you have no answer at QB right now, with a pile of cash. Why in the world wouldn't they go after him? 

6 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

It's not a glaring admission, it's just....smart. You have a good proven talented QB hitting the open market, you have no answer at QB right now, with a pile of cash. Why in the world wouldn't they go after him? 

The answer would be cost, and potential for better at a lower cost. The long term fate of the franchise should not be limited to what's immediately best for the team in 2018. 

Best reason for picking him up is Macc's lack of an eye for talent beyond perceived sure things, and even if he likes one of the good ones he won't do what's necessary to get him. So they may as well sign Cousins; at least he won't be Hackenberg II. 

I'm totally against a fully guaranteed contract, though. The going rate (of skill-guaranteed money) for a starting QB is 3 years, not 5, and it isn't almost the same thing.

18 hours ago, Embrace the Suck said:

I hope you're right. Having said that the Jets have repeatedly screwed up everything you mentioned as rays of hope. Money? See wilkerson. Draft picks? See hackenburg. I'm still trying to figure out drafting a qb in the second round who will never play a single down. How can he be so bad and they missed it?

I agree with you that a 2nd rd pick at QB ought to at least make the field.  Hack is about as bad as 2nd round QBs as we've seen in the last 20 years.  But 2nd round picks at QB don't have great odds at success.  

In the 20 year period from 1997 - 2016, there have been 22 QBs drafted in round 2.  (Excluding 2017 b/c insufficient time to evaluate Kizer).  There were only 5 or 6 (depending on whether you want to include Kaepernick) who were/are succesful QB material:

1997 - Jake Plummer (#42 pick)

2001 - Drew Brees (#32)

2011 - Andy Dalton (#35) and Kaepernick (#36)

2014 - Derreck Carr (#36), Jimmy Garoppolo (#62)

The 16 busts: Charlie Batch (#60), Sean King (#50), Marques Tuiasosopo (#59), Quincy Carter (#53), Kellen Clemens (#49), Travaris Jackson (#64), Kevin Kolb (#36), John Beck (#40), Drew Stanton (#43), Brian Brohm (#56), Chad Henne (#57), Pat White (#54), Jimmy Claussen (#48), Brock Osweiler (#57), Geno Smith (#39), Christian Hackenberg (#51).

5 or 6 success stories from round 2 out of 22 QBs.  Granted, most of them got a chance to see the field, so Hack is near the bottom of this list, but it's pretty bad.  Other than Brees, even the other "successful" ones don't shine that much. 

i think things are getting out of hand.  there's an article in the NY Post suggesting the jets could create a $60 million cap hit for cousins in year 1, to make it impossible for other teams to match.  at some point you have to wonder what people are thinking - $60 million?  

truth, i think cousins to the jets makes sense in many ways even though i think he's at best a slightly above average qb - which is good enough to advance in the playoffs.  but then i think about all the holes this team has and paying a qb that much money when his prime years are right now, and it doesn't make sense.  the team is 2 years away from contending and that assumes the gm does a pretty good job fixing the offensive line and skill positions, two things he's ignored since he's been on the job.

2 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

The answer would be cost, and potential for better at a lower cost. The long term fate of the franchise should not be limited to what's immediately best for the team in 2018. 

Best reason for picking him up is Macc's lack of an eye for talent beyond perceived sure things, and even if he likes one of the good ones he won't do what's necessary to get him. So they may as well sign Cousins; at least he won't be Hackenberg II. 

I'm totally against a fully guaranteed contract, though. The going rate (of skill-guaranteed money) for a starting QB is 3 years, not 5, and it isn't almost the same thing.

A cost we can afford. Not saying I want an insane fully guaranteed contract that will hurt the team. But the best reason for picking him up is because he's a good QB you can build around and win with for the next 5-6 years. And there he is free to go after and you wanna turn your head? I don't understand Jets fans. You want potential for better when we don't even have anything or have had anything close to his skill level in the last decade. 

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, T0mShane said:

1. Sign Cousins? Ok, whatever.

2. Make Cousins the highest paid player in history? wait what

3. Sign Cousins to the biggest contract ever and guarantee it for five years? GTFO

2. This happens with every franchise QB signing a new contract with few exceptions.  No big deal.  Flacco, Stafford, Garoppolo...  all became highest paid until the next contract came around.  Whoever is up next after Cousins will then be the highest paid in the history of the sport.  This will go on in perpetuity.  No need to make a big deal out of it since it is completely irrelevant and just how the NFL operates.

3. Just a Florio supposition to get clicks.  There is no basis in truth for it to the best of our knowledge.  Love how people here think it is true just because it was said by Florio. Duh.

• Upvote 2