Per sources, Jets could offer Kirk Cousins fully guaranteed contract. (Merged Cousins Jets $$$ thread)

25 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

Again take your stats elsewhere I’ll use my eyes, and know he is not in the same class as either.

The most ridiculous part of this is that Stafford has a similar W-L record, yet over a longer period, yet he's better then cousins?  If their stats are similar, and W-L is all on the QB, how do you explain that Stafford is better, simply the eye test?

• Upvote 3

39 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

Okay I need some clarification because statistically they are all in the same wheel house:

1,157 comp - 66% - 85 TDs - 33 INTs - 13,035 yards

1,276 comp - 67% - 86 TDs - 45 INTs - 13,928 yards

1,132 comp - 67% - 81 TDs - 34 INTs - 13,176 yards

I'd say Cousins being compared to Stafford and Ryan is fair.

I asked this question once: would you rather have no QB or have Matt Ryan as your QB for ten years?

2 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

2013 and 2014 he started 8 games in those 8 starts he was 1-7 look sh*t up before you spew nonsense.

Nonsense?  WTF are you talking about?  You said he started 8 times in a season and went 1-7, which he he didn't.  I was the one who pointed out that he started those games between 2 seasons in 2013 and 14.  Learn how to read.  Yes, he was 1-7 in those 2 season as a backup and injury replacement.  He has since had a winning record.

Again, you've ignored the fact that Aaron Rodgers, Matt Ryan, Big Ben and Drew Brees have all had losing records in a season.  Instead, you want to point to what Cousins did as a backup.  You're the only one spewing nonsense.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 2
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, BCJet said:

The most ridiculous part of this is that Stafford has a similar W-L record, yet over a longer period, yet he's better then cousins?  If their stats are similar, and W-L is all on the QB, how do you explain that Stafford is better, simply the eye test?

Incidentally, Stafford has a 2-8, 1-2, 4-12, 7-9 and 7-9 records on his resume.  His overall record is 60-65. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

11 minutes ago, SMC said:

Wait, is it stats, win-loss records, or eyes that matter to you?  It's confusing.

You are very confused on how to accurately assess a decision to pay a QB like Cousins a certain amount of money that you have clearly shown in your posts, finally here your getting somewhere thou, there is a very big puzzle, and when you put all the pieces together you can come to a informed decision, spewing stupid nonsense like just his stats is just that stupid for a reason to pay anyone any amount of money.

When I look at the finished puzzle after evaluating Cousins my conclusion is no ******* way at 30-35 million per year, never! You should be fired if you have a roster the Jets have, and do something like this in an effort to go 8-8, and save your job, because that’s exactly what this would be a job saving grab.

I will write this for the last time in big caps so you can’t not see it.

IF THE JETS WERE GOING TO GET KIRK COUSINS FOR A REASONABLE CONTRACT THAT HE IS WORTH, AROUND 18-22 MILLION PER I’D BE EXTREMELY HAPPY AS LONG AS THEY ALSO STILL DRAFTED A QB VERY EARLY IN THE DRAFT WITH ONE OF THEIR FIRST 3 PICKS!!!!!!!

• Thumb Down 2

38 minutes ago, SMC said:

Incidentally, Stafford has a 2-8, 1-2, 4-12, 7-9 and 7-9 records on his resume.  His overall record is 60-65. 

This goes back to where they were drafted.  People are way more willing to trust Ryan and Stafford the next 5 years b/c they were early 1st round draft picks, while cousins was a 4th rounder and there are probably many jet fans who fear cousins will play like a 4th rounder on the jets.

• Sympathy 1

What a total sh*tshow the top 10 is this year. Barkley is really the only sure thing. Everyone else comes with asterisk -- right through every QB, defensive player and such. I guess I'd say Nelson offers a safe bet, like barkley -- but both aren't ideal picks in the top 5-6 from a value standpoint.

Then again -- that's every year. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

10 hours ago, Lith said:

Yup.  We are in no man's land in the draft.  Either we have to give up a ransom to move up, sit at 6 and take whoever falls into our laps, or take a second tier prospect in R2 or 3..  Even if we do move up, we are not likely getting higher than 3, maybe 2 since the Giants appear to be listening to offers, but that seems like a longshot.  Moving up is all well and good if the guy we want falls to 3, but you don't make a move like that to "settle" for the 3rd guy on your board.

And, can't you just see this happening: we give up next year's one in a package to move up to 3.  We take Darnold/Rosen/Mayfield/Allen, etc.   Our guy throws 25 picks next year, we go 2-14, earn the #1 pick in 2019 and it goes to the Colts. 

We have several options, but none of them appear to be very good: overpay Cousins, overpay to move up in the draft, stay at 6 and take QB4, or take a tier 2 veteran in free agency (Keenum/McCarron, etc.).

Given the options, I would rather just take advantage of our cap space, try to bring in Cousins and keep our picks.

Also you have to take into account that the Jets passed on Mahomes last year!!

That also has to be calculated IMO and yet another reason why Cousins should be taken because we could avoided trading any picks had we just drafted Mahomes!

4 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

This has to be the stupidest thing I’ve read first you call drafting a QB as questionable (it is the only thing that is not stupid), but then proceed to list like 10 highly questionable things to happen seriously WTF kind of bizzaro world do you live in?

The one where you are an Idiot for calling a very doable scenario stupid. Maybe if you step back and calm the **** down you can answer or debate what I said in a civil manner not like a child but like an adult.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 2

2 minutes ago, k-met57 said:

you my friend live in la la land. you do realize there is such thing as market value right? saying you'd take Cousins at 18-22 million is like saying ill take a BMW for 100 bucks...its not going to happen so who cares what you'd take.

Luck, Carr, Newton make around 25, Stafford who hasnt won anything either makes 27, Jimmy G who has 8 career starts makes 27, and the list goes on...

anyways its pointless...although i would say i would love to see "your evaluation of the puzzle" that led you to the conclusion of what an NFL quarterback is or isnt worth :wacko:

Out of respect to @Maxman our conversation is over.  And here I thought it was gonna be Mayfield that got me banned from here.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 3

27 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

The one where you are an Idiot for calling a very doable scenario stupid. Maybe if you step back and calm the **** down you can answer or debate what I said in a civil manner not like a child but like an adult.

Lupz is normally a reasonable guy. His infatuation with Sam Darnold made him go off the deep end. He's behaving like a child.

• Thumb Down 1

1 hour ago, Charlie Brown said:

Also you have to take into account that the Jets passed on Mahomes last year!!

That also has to be calculated IMO and yet another reason why Cousins should be taken because we could avoided trading any picks had we just drafted Mahomes!

Wait....Mahomes has played all of 1 game right? Lets not crown the kid yet, he hasnt done anything. 

• Upvote 1

$60M in 1st year? Jets set to creatively pounce on Kirk Cousins

February 19, 2018 | 8:07pm

The bidding for Kirk Cousins’ services officially begins in three weeks. On March 12, NFL teams can begin to speak with the agents representing this year’s free-agent class.

Cousins is at the top of that list, and expect the Jets to be one of the first teams to call his agent, Mike McCartney. League sources believe the Jets are going to be particularly aggressive in their pursuit, willing to spend big bucks in the hope the soon-to-be former Redskin can be the franchise quarterback they have been searching for all these years.

The view around the league is that the Jets’ main issue regarding Cousins won’t be money, but whether he wants to play for them after saying winning was his priority.

While March 12 is the official opening of the window when teams and agents can talk, the unofficial negotiating period happens next week in Indianapolis at the NFL Scouting Combine. Technically, teams and agents are not allowed to speak about free agents other than their own, but the hotels, bars and restaurants in Indy are filled with winks, nods and more as teams begin to line up their free-agent targets. Players can’t officially sign their contracts until March 14.

McCartney represents both Cousins and Josh McCown, the Jets’ own pending free agent, so the Jets likely have a meeting scheduled with him to discuss McCown in Indianapolis, where the topic of Cousins could come up.

The Jets are viewed as the favorites to land Cousins by many around the NFL because of the financial flexibility they have. The Jets are currently projected to have $73.2 million in salary-cap space, according to overthecap.com. They cleared an additional $4.6 million by declining to pick up their $500,000 option on backup tackle Ben Ijalana on Monday, making him a free agent. They can add to that with the expected cuts of Muhammad Wilkerson and Matt Forte, which would push the cap space to $92 million.

The only other team expected to be a suitor for Cousins with more projected cap space than the Jets is the Browns ($110 million).

The Jets could get creative with their contract offer to Cousins with all of that cap space. The expectation is he is going to exceed the $27.5 million per year that the 49ers just gave Jimmy Garoppolo. Many people think that could mean a five-year, $150 million contract with a good chunk of that guaranteed. One league source speculated the Jets could front-load the contract and offer Cousins $60 million guaranteed in the first year of the contract. That would still leave them with about $30 million in cap space this year and then allow them to build around Cousins with lower cap figures in the remaining years of the contract. Pro Football Talk reported they spoke to people who believe the Jets might be willing to guarantee the entire contract, something unheard of in the NFL for long-term deals.

Finances won’t be the biggest hurdle for the Jets. Selling Cousins that they can be a contender quickly will be. Jets general manager Mike Maccagnan is going to have to do a good recruiting job.

Cousins said in several interviews at the Super Bowl that he wants to go where he can win. That has led to many people viewing the Broncos as a favorite to land him.

But the Broncos are going to have to make a bunch of moves to clear the cap space to make a run at him. They are currently projected to have $26.8 million in space. There is also a question of how good the Broncos truly are. They had the same 5-11 record as the Jets last season, and many of their stars are getting older.

Some people believe the Vikings are the contending team that could make a run at Cousins. They are projected to have $49 million in cap space and Case Keenum, Teddy Bridgewater and Sam Bradford are all scheduled to be free agents. The Vikings made it to the NFC Championship game last season and they could view Cousins as the piece to put them into the Super Bowl.

The Jets’ sales pitch (besides the money) will be they can build around him, adding to the core they feel they have already started to build. He also is familiar with new offensive coordinator Jeremy Bates, who worked for Mike Shanahan, the coach who drafted Cousins in Washington.

The Cousins sweepstakes are about to begin. Can the Jets walk away as the winner?