Could Quenton Nelson Play Tackle?

Lith

Question for those who know far more about OL play than I do (which should be just about anyone on this board -- where is @RobR when you need him?). 

Nelson was a tackle in HS and was recruited to ND as a tackle.  I believe he was switched to guard rather than sit behind Ronnie Stanley and Mike McGlinchey.  Does he have the potential to move back to tackle at some point in his pro career?  Curious as to whether this could be an option for him down the road.

37 minutes ago, Lith said:

Question for those who know far more about OL play than I do (which should be just about anyone on this board -- where is @RobR when you need him?). 

Nelson was a tackle in HS and was recruited to ND as a tackle.  I believe he was switched to guard rather than sit behind Ronnie Stanley and Mike McGlinchey.  Does he have the potential to move back to tackle at some point in his pro career?  Curious as to whether this could be an option for him down the road.

Good question. Off the top of my head I'd so no since I've heard nothing so far indicating he'd be an NFL Tackle. Also I would have thought ND would have done so this past year. Perhaps the footwork's not there.

12 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I don't know much about Nelson's ability to switch to tackle, but there is some precedent for it.  Branden Albert played guard at Virginia behind D'Brick and Eugene Monroe and was a very good LT in the NFL.  

Indeed, i remember them both cavaliers if i'm not mistaken -- was particularly surprised by Albert permanently switching in the NFL. Also, equally surprised he didn't go back to guard as his play at tackle trailed off. I'd be looking to keep the paychecks coming not matter what. 

9 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Indeed, i remember them both cavaliers if i'm not mistaken -- was particularly surprised by Albert permanently switching in the NFL. Also, equally surprised he didn't go back to guard as his play at tackle trailed off. I'd be looking to keep the paychecks coming not matter what. 

The issue might be that Albert did not feel his play really trailed off.  He was a pro bowler in 2015.  He dislocated his wrist and had a down year in 2016, but when he was traded he held out of OTAs trying to get a new deal.  Cam Robinson played well and the Jags called his bluff.  He came back, and I assume he was out of shape and did not look good.  The Seahawks and Giants had him in and did not sign him.  I wonder if he will try to catch on in a camp for 2018.  He may be a guy looking for real money and unwilling to accept less, or he may have nothing left in the tank.

Damien Woody is another guy that started inside and kicked outside.  He was a first round pick at C for the Pats and then signed a huge FA deal with the Lions where he basically sucked at G while they continued with Raiola at C.  Near the end of his time there they swapped him to RT and he did okay.  The Jets snatched him up to play RT and I have to admit I was skeptical, but he was pretty damn good. 

Nah don’t think he has the wingspan to play LT. But this section of a Nelson scoring report encourages the theory.

“In pass protection, Nelson is very good. He has quick feet and is able to mirror speed rushers. He also gets his hands on defenders quickly and rides them around the pocket. Additionally, he has a strong lower body to anchor against bull rushes. Nelson is smart about picking up blitzers with good instincts and feel. His pass protection is just as NFL-ready as his run blocking.“

On 2/22/2018 at 7:48 PM, Untouchable said:

Probably 

But I think you’d be looking at a very good, borderline Top 10 LT vs a batsh*t crazy good LG.

If I'm the Browns, I really think about getting him and pairing him with Joe Thomas.   Especially if they get cousins.  

On 2/22/2018 at 3:03 PM, Lith said:

I dont have the answer but why not just take a Tackle?  Much more often you see Tackles get kicked inside rather than Gaurds get kicked outside.

On ‎2‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 4:51 AM, maury77 said:

I'd rather have the very good LT than the batsh*t crazy good LG

Interesting question.  I've heard a few people whisper Larry Allen as an upside comp for Nelson.  While a LT is more valuable than a G in most cases, I would take Larry Allen over a good LT, but not a great one.  In fact, Allen was a good Tackle but he was arguably the greatest Guard to play the game since (and maybe including) John Hannah and so he kept going back to that position.  If Nelson is close to that, he's worth a top-10 pick and I'd leave him at that position.

As to the question of whether he can play C, I have no idea but oddly enough Allen played both Guard and both Tackle positions in his career but never Center.  Might be a different enough skill set or body type requirement that it doesn't often work.  

3 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

Then draft a LT

I would rather that route, but I see where his train of thought is here. Get the best lineman in the draft and try him at a position he used to play. Alright idea. And might even work, but I think G is the position he needs to play at. He’s going to be an All Pro for years to come. He’s shown that much elite ability.

44 minutes ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

Chance Warmack was supposed to have been the best guard prospect since Hutchinson and ended up coming off the board after another guard who also sucks. I know, I know. This time it's different.

It is. Have you seen looked at his scouting report, game films or do you just feel like taking the rebellious approach to every thread since you have been back? Earmark isn’t HALF the prospect or player Nelson is.

13 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Edmonds might end up being better than Davenport. Super underrated. Check him out when you get a chance.

Edmunds should really be talked about more around here.

I’m a lifelong Hokies fan and the kid is a freak in every sense. 

I’d absolutely take him over a guy like Davenport and I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s the first defender off the board when it’s all said and done.

He’s explosive as hell off the edge and fantastic at dropping back in coverage. A real chess piece on defense.

Hasn’t even come close to scratching the surface of his potential either.

41 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Edmunds should really be talked about more around here.

I’m a lifelong Hokies fan and the kid is a freak in every sense. 

I’d absolutely take him over a guy like Davenport and I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s the first defender off the board when it’s all said and done.

He’s explosive as hell off the edge and fantastic at dropping back in coverage. A real chess piece on defense.

Hasn’t even come close to scratching the surface of his potential either.

Glad someone knows. Guy can be a force for a long time off of the edge. He isn’t some project like Darron Lee. He can already play great on coverage and he has good size and speed to bend the corner. He most definitely will go in the top 10-15 post combine. The combine is going to show people how explosive and athletic he is and the game film already speaks for itself. He might be my favorite defender in this draft. Chubb is great .. but he’s a little slow and can wind up playing DE,, Edmunds is a pure OLB.

3 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

Have you seen looked at his scouting report, game films or do you just feel like taking the rebellious approach to every thread since you have been back?

Sure as sh*t haven't. I did the draft thing for ten years. All it does is spoil my fun. This is kind of a special case because it's such an obvious disaster waiting to happen. There is a really strong consensus for Barkley, Chubb, Fitzpatrick, and Nelson as the top four positional prospects and given Maccagnan's predilections I'm having a hard time seeing third-best quarterback at 6. You do the math. This is happening. I wish I didn't know that already but I do.

9 hours ago, New York Mick said:

Why would you want to change his position? He’s a beast at OG. 

Was not suggesting that we change his position - just wondering about his ability to potentially move over if the opportunity and need aligned in the future.  And would that change anyone's view of taking a G at 6.

1 hour ago, Patriot Killa said:

Edmonds might end up being better than Davenport. Super underrated. Check him out when you get a chance.

2 things that scare me about Davenport -- can he hold up in the run game or will he just be a 2-down OLB at the next level.  If you are going to take a guy at 6, he better play all 3 downs.  Edmonds can play 3 downs. 

Also, Brian O'Neill was the OT that Davenport did a lot of damage against in the Sr Bowl and it seemed like everyone who lined up across from O'Neill abused him.  Converted TE who could not handle the top edge rushers in the game.  Not sure if Davenport's play in that game was more about him or O'Neill.

13 minutes ago, Lith said:

2 things that scare me about Davenport -- can he hold up in the run game or will he just be a 2-down OLB at the next level.  If you are going to take a guy at 6, he better play all 3 downs.  Edmonds can play 3 downs. 

Also, Brian O'Neill was the OT that Davenport did a lot of damage against in the Sr Bowl and it seemed like everyone who lined up across from O'Neill abused him.  Converted TE who could not handle the top edge rushers in the game.  Not sure if Davenport's play in that game was more about him or O'Neill.

There is no doubt in my mind that Edmunds is the best pass rusher in this draft. Chubb isn’t a pass rusher to me. He isn’t going to bend corners like that.

2 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

There is no doubt in my mind that Edmunds is the best pass rusher in this draft. Chubb isn’t a pass rusher to me. He isn’t going to bend corners like that.

Let’s not knock Chubb because Edmunds is also a talented player. NFL.com has them rated as the #3 and #4 overall players in this draft class. They will both be excellent players on Sunday. They both have NFL bloodlines and stellar college production. 

56 minutes ago, Greenseed4 said:

Let’s not knock Chubb because Edmunds is also a talented player. NFL.com has them rated as the #3 and #4 overall players in this draft class. They will both be excellent players on Sunday. They both have NFL bloodlines and stellar college production. 

I don’t mean to knock Chubb. I mean, he’s slower and seems more built to play DE on the inside. I dunno if he’s such a great pass rusher on the pro level because of his speed.

17 hours ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

Chance Warmack was supposed to have been the best guard prospect since Hutchinson and ended up coming off the board after another guard who also sucks. I know, I know. This time it's different.

Cooper started 13 games for the Cowboys.  I can't wait for somebody to tout his Vlad Ducasse-esque career as a positive. 

13 hours ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

Sure as sh*t haven't. I did the draft thing for ten years. All it does is spoil my fun. This is kind of a special case because it's such an obvious disaster waiting to happen. There is a really strong consensus for Barkley, Chubb, Fitzpatrick, and Nelson as the top four positional prospects and given Maccagnan's predilections I'm having a hard time seeing third-best quarterback at 6. You do the math. This is happening. I wish I didn't know that already but I do.

*Low bust potential. 

Archived