anybody but BAKER MAYFIELD

kmnj

21 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

This is impressive, but I saw him hit a lot of his intended receivers in games in less than ideal spots? I mean he's accurate enough and probably more accurate than most of the QB's coming out, but I still think he needs work on hitting his receivers in the most ideal place that is conducive to stretching the play further.

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

9 hours ago, RESNewYork said:

Not asking you personally but just the board in general. Why is it bad that Jamal Adams is so called young and brash? But it's OK for Baker to be, who hasn't even taken an NFL snap yet?

Because he's a QB who can Lead this team to the promise land... Jamal isn't.

ps- Adams Is what this team Needs Also.

8 hours ago, RSJ said:

I like Baker - but cant get past the fact that he is as tall as LT in that video. Also not the best arm. In the cold and windy northeast I want a tall QB with a strong arm.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

I don't know what you're seeing but it's Clear that Baker is taller...  Baker's arm Is strong enough... he won't have a problem playing in the northeast.

8 hours ago, RSJ said:

I like Baker - but cant get past the fact that he is as tall as LT in that video. Also not the best arm. In the cold and windy northeast I want a tall QB with a strong arm.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

The size arguemnt is a legitimate but far from insurmountable - there are currently two active Super Bowl winning QB's his size or shorter in the NFL.

But the arm stregnth argument was put to bed at the combine - by all accounts, from the combine, he has a very strong arm.

19 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

Here you go. 

See this is a little of what I'm talking about. He's not pro ready and I think everyone knows that, but more specifically lets talk about what needs work.

1) He does not sell play action very well at all. It seems like he just kind of goes through the motions? In contrast, Pennington was one of the very best I saw sell play action.

2) It's not really shown in this tape because the routes being shown are mostly timing routes, but what I saw in the game against Georgia was a lot of high throws to intended receivers. They were accurate enough to be caught, but I didn't see him hit his receivers in stride? So they could stretch the play more than they were able to.

That's just two things I see about his game that I think needs improvement. Look, I'm not criticizing the guy? I like him. I want Mac to take him, I just know he needs work. But because he's at a good place to start coaching him IMO, I could see him starting by like week 8 or 9 of this season?

1 hour ago, Jetscreen said:

See this is a little of what I'm talking about. He's not pro ready and I think everyone knows that, but more specifically lets talk about what needs work.

1) He does not sell play action very well at all. It seems like he just kind of goes through the motions? In contrast, Pennington was one of the very best I saw sell play action.

2) It's not really shown in this tape because the routes being shown are mostly timing routes, but what I saw in the game against Georgia was a lot of high throws to intended receivers. They were accurate enough to be caught, but I didn't see him hit his receivers in stride? So they could stretch the play more than they were able to.

That's just two things I see about his game that I think needs improvement. Look, I'm not criticizing the guy? I like him. I want Mac to take him, I just know he needs work. But because he's at a good place to start coaching him IMO, I could see him starting by like week 8 or 9 of this season?

It's funny because Pennington was truly one of the best play action QB's I've ever seen, where Peyton was one of the worst but all the football heads always chirped about how great Peyton was at play action...on the other stuff, Baker is just a rookie he'll learn how to clean certain things up and become more effective at others... I would Love to have Chad as his QB coach...  granted as long as we get Baker.

ps- I don't think his coaches were really putting too much emphasis on him "selling" the run as you can clearly see on the video the rb didn't even make a real effort as well... I think if he was told to make an effort to sell it he could do it very well.

43 minutes ago, jetsons said:

Because he's a QB who can Lead this team to the promise land... Jamal isn't.

ps- Adams Is what this team Needs Also.

If he's a Jet I will be rooting like hell he does. But he's not even a Jet yet and hasn't taken 1 NFL snap yet. 

10 hours ago, RESNewYork said:

Not asking you personally but just the board in general. Why is it bad that Jamal Adams is so called young and brash? But it's OK for Baker to be, who hasn't even taken an NFL snap yet?

I don’t know about anyone else but I like the fact that Adams is young and brash as well as I like that Mayfield is young and brash.  I used to coach high school basketball and I always wanted my point guard to be cocky but not arrogant.  I think both of these players have that trait and I’ll take it all day long.

Young and brash? I could give a sh*t. Keyshawn was young and brash and I didn't care then either. The ONLY thing that's important to me is IF you want to run your mouth? You'd better make sure you back it up on Sunday. Keyshawn never had any problems backing it up on Sundays so I never had a problem with him and really came to admire/respect him. Jamal, to me is not very brash at all? Maybe a little outspoken? Either way, I have no problem with him either. I thought he played well as a rookie. 

1 hour ago, RESNewYork said:

If he's a Jet I will be rooting like hell he does. But he's not even a Jet yet and hasn't taken 1 NFL snap yet. 

Also it doesn't help that jamal has Not played up to his mouth... if he had earned all prro or rookie of the year it wouldn't have rubbed the people the way it does... jmo

6 minutes ago, jetsons said:

Also it doesn't help that jamal has Not played up to his mouth... if he had earned all prro or rookie of the year it wouldn't have rubbed the people the way it does... jmo

That's my point. Neither has Mayfield and yet so many fans proclaim that's what we need. Everytime there's a Jamal quote in an article you got a ten page thread. Yet so much love for Mayfield and fans claiming that's what we need, yet he's not even a Jet and hasn't taken a snap yet. I just think it's strange. 

4 minutes ago, RESNewYork said:

That's my point. Neither has Mayfield and yet so many fans proclaim that's what we need. Everytime there's a Jamal quote in an article you got a ten page thread. Yet so much love for Mayfield and fans claiming that's what we need, yet he's not even a Jet and hasn't taken a snap yet. I just think it's strange. 

Like I said before Baker is a QB who Has backed up his mouth... jamal hasn't... if jamal had then it would not be an issue... if jamal begins to play up to the level of his mouth no one here would complain... till then it's a wait & see.

2 hours ago, Jetscreen said:

Isn’t the WCO mostly predicated on timing routes?

On 3/5/2018 at 10:38 AM, Augustiniak said:

i wouldn't be surprised if tanny trades to #5 to snag him.  total tanny move.  

I agree with you 100%. I think they are going after a QB in the 1st and will jump us and grab mayfield. I hate to sound like a SOJ fan but I can see Miami landing their franchise QB while we are stuck with a JAG.    That would be such a  typical jets draft outcome when it comes to QB's.  I hate to be negative when it comes our quarterback outcome but I just don't have the faith in Mac.  Tanny has his faults but he is Trader Mike for a reason. Mac seems to timid to get a deal done. If Mac plans on drafting a quarterback he's going to have to move up to get the guy he wants in my opinion. 

57 minutes ago, jetsons said:

Like I said before Baker is a QB who Has backed up his mouth... jamal hasn't... if jamal had then it would not be an issue... if jamal begins to play up to the level of his mouth no one here would complain... till then it's a wait & see.

OK I get it now, you meant his college career. 

2 hours ago, Joejet said:

I don’t know about anyone else but I like the fact that Adams is young and brash as well as I like that Mayfield is young and brash.  I used to coach high school basketball and I always wanted my point guard to be cocky but not arrogant.  I think both of these players have that trait and I’ll take it all day long.

Great points I prefer a Cocky/ confident quarterback not an arrogant a$$hole but in New York that is exactly what we need,  all our other quarterbacks have been more timid and were always worrying about what people thought of them. I want a QB with a chip on his shoulder that doesn't give a sh*t what anybody thinks about him in the media. 

1 hour ago, jetsons said:

I'm not sure what you think baker has backed up exactly. Baker has been a great college football player.. Jamal was a great college football player. You think Adams was a consensus top 10 selection in the draft based off a non productive college career???

I like Baker but let's not act like he's a two time super bowl champ that has a proven track record in the NFL.

10 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

I'm not sure what you think baker has backed up exactly. Baker has been a great college football player.. Jamal was a great college football player. You think Adams was a consensus top 10 selection in the draft based off a non productive college career???

I like Baker but let's not act like he's a two time super bowl champ that has a proven track record in the NFL.

I didn't think Adams was worthy of a top 10 pick last year...  I Know Baker is.

28 minutes ago, jetsons said:

I didn't think Adams was worthy of a top 10 pick last year...  I Know Baker is.

No one cares what you think or what I think. You aren't anyone with any credentials.  In just about every mock draft/rankings he was a lock top 5 pick. In fact, I couldn't find an expert that had him lower than 5. 

http://walterfootball.com/draft2017.php - Adams going 3rd

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2705781-2017-nfl-mock-draft-matt-millers-final-7-round-predictions  - Matt Miller had him going 2nd. 

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000802568/article/mike-mayocks-2017-nfl-draft-top-100-prospect-rankings  3rd best prospect overall

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000785403/article/charley-casserly-mock-draft-10-trades-shake-up-round-1  Charley Casserly had him going 5th overall

http://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2017/insider/story/_/id/19233566/mel-kiper-final-2017-nfl-draft-big-board-top-300-prospects-ranking Mel Kiper had him 3rd overall

http://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2017/insider/story/_/id/19244168/todd-mcshay-final-rankings-top-300-prospects-2017-nfl-draft Mcshay had him 2nd overall

So the fact that you happen to think otherwise is irrelevant. Adams was a very accomplished college player and the notion that Baker Mayfield has backed up his talk but Adams hasn't is just idiotic. You don't get drafted in the top 10 if you haven't backed up your talk. 

54 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

No one cares what you think or what I think. You aren't anyone with any credentials.  In just about every mock draft/rankings he was a lock top 5 pick. In fact, I couldn't find an expert that had him lower than 5. 

http://walterfootball.com/draft2017.php - Adams going 3rd

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2705781-2017-nfl-mock-draft-matt-millers-final-7-round-predictions  - Matt Miller had him going 2nd. 

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000802568/article/mike-mayocks-2017-nfl-draft-top-100-prospect-rankings  3rd best prospect overall

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000785403/article/charley-casserly-mock-draft-10-trades-shake-up-round-1  Charley Casserly had him going 5th overall

http://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2017/insider/story/_/id/19233566/mel-kiper-final-2017-nfl-draft-big-board-top-300-prospects-ranking Mel Kiper had him 3rd overall

http://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2017/insider/story/_/id/19244168/todd-mcshay-final-rankings-top-300-prospects-2017-nfl-draft Mcshay had him 2nd overall

So the fact that you happen to think otherwise is irrelevant. Adams was a very accomplished college player and the notion that Baker Mayfield has backed up his talk but Adams hasn't is just idiotic. You don't get drafted in the top 10 if you haven't backed up your talk. 

good work!

3 hours ago, jetsons said:

His height is no longer up for debate - he measured 6 feet (and a half inch) at the combine and senior bowl.

Brees is 6 feet, Russell Wilson is 5 11" - two Super Bowl winning QB's.  

12 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

His height is no longer up for debate - he measured 6 feet (and a half inch) at the combine and senior bowl.

Brees is 6 feet, Russell Wilson is 5 11" - two Super Bowl winning QB's.  

Brees and Wilson were also 2nd and 3rd round picks who had essentially everything you look for besides prototypical height for the position. Both were also tutored in pro-style offense coming out of college, not the gimmicky offenses Baker played in at Oklahoma and Texas Tech where 80% of the playbook consisted of smoke screens and short slants within 8 yards of the LOS.

Brees and Wilson are the exceptions, not the rule.

The only other sub-6’2 QB’s I can think of in my lifetime (and I’m closing in on 50) that had any sort of sustained success are Fran Tarkenton, Michael Vick and Doug Flutie...and who the hell would sign up for 10 years of Vick or Flutie on the Jets?

Mayfield may very well turn out to be a damn good QB, but the odds are certainly stacked against him. No matter how much “fire” or competitive spirit he may possess.

31 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Brees and Wilson were also 2nd and 3rd round picks who had essentially everything you look for besides prototypical height for the position. Both were also tutored in pro-style offense coming out of college, not the gimmicky offenses Baker played in at Oklahoma and Texas Tech where 80% of the playbook consisted of smoke screens and short slants within 8 yards of the LOS.

Brees and Wilson are the exceptions, not the rule.

The only other sub-6’2 QB’s I can think of in my lifetime (and I’m closing in on 50) that had any sort of sustained success are Fran Tarkenton, Michael Vick and Doug Flutie...and who the hell would sign up for 10 years of Vick or Flutie on the Jets?

Mayfield may very well turn out to be a damn good QB, but the odds are certainly stacked against him. No matter how much “fire” or competitive spirit he may possess.

I don't care where they were picked - they're both damn good QB's.  The point I'm making isn't where to pick him but that he can successful at his height.  He check's every other box.

The league is different right now - they are playing a much more open game - QB's are much safer in the pocket - He's going to be a very good QB in this league - I hope he's a Jet

Note - the odds are stacked against any QB coming out of college - it's always a crap shoot no matter who you take.

21 minutes ago, BCJet said:

Mayfield finished second in the ourlads velocity metric from the combine, being one of 2 players (josh allen) to crack 60mph.

I knew the weak arm stuff was BS after having seen him play, but 60?  Wow

During last offseason there was an article about somebody from one of the football camps that was ranting about Mayfield and saying how crazy strong his arm was and that they were going to forget about (insert name of whatever random person they mentioned).  I looked for it recently and couldn't find it, but it was way before the Mayfield hype train ramped up.

9 hours ago, Jetscreen said:

This is impressive, but I saw him hit a lot of his intended receivers in games in less than ideal spots? I mean he's accurate enough and probably more accurate than most of the QB's coming out, but I still think he needs work on hitting his receivers in the most ideal place that is conducive to stretching the play further.

None of these qb's are slam dunks. They all need work in some capacity. With that said, Mayfield has a tremendous skillset worth further developing.

Just now, Villain The Foe said:

None of these qb's are slam dunks. They all need work in some capacity. With that said, Mayfield has a tremendous skillset worth further developing.

this is what makes this draft so interesting, teams will prefer one over another and we'll see who is willing to go get the guy they want.

Archived