How real is Baker Mayfield to the Jets? Separating smoke screen from facts.

Patriot Killa

6 minutes ago, Thai Jet said:

You can't assume that he'd be there at 6 SLM . Try this possible scenario.... Clev. @1 is taking a QB, Giants trade with Buf taking a QB @2, Colts trade down and their partner takes a QB @3. Denver takes a QB  @ 5  and there goes your top 4 QB's. Maybe Mayfield's not even the target. Maybe they do want Rosen. We'll know in less than a week.

That would have been best case scenario getting Lamar Jackson, and 2 2nd rounders to surround him with more offensive talent.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Bruce Harper said:

Repeating this over and over will not make it true.  He would not have been there at 6.

First we complain that he couldn't trade up for the QB we think he wanted in the past.  No we while that he traded up to guarantee he would get one of the QBs he wanted.  Because he knows that Denver wouldn't be one happy team picking at 5.

If the Jets didn't trade up to 3 another team would have. The Jets couldn't take that chance. I agree with their move 100 percent. Mayfield is the most accurate QB in the draft correct? Do you really think Mac is gonna draft an inaccurate QB and hope he develops accuracy after the Hackenberg disaster. Also you can bet Jet ownership has some say in who the Jets pick here and Mr Johnson was at the meetings with these QBs. You can also bet personality is a factor here as in which QB can handle the media and the pressure of being a QB in New York. All of this points to Mayfield. This guy is a 3 year college starter with few injuries and can sling the rock with a high completion rate and he is driven to win and succeed. It's a no brainier in my opinion who the Jets are gonna pick at 3. If Baker isn't available for some reason I think they might trade down or even pick Barkley. I think they really want Mayfield and no other QB other than maybe Darnold at this point.

17 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

That would have been best case scenario getting Lamar Jackson, and 2 2nd rounders to surround him with more offensive talent.

:smilies2_puke:   I just don't like Jackson at all. Great athlete but he can't read a D to save his life which was revealed during "chalk" sessions at the combine. I think his wonderlic might have been a record low. He's more Kizer than he is Watson. 

2 hours ago, bealeb319 said:

He was highly recruited out of high school and our new gm had strong connections to his former coach. The kid has shown is nothing I get it but he had a good ceiling with a high risk low floor...We took a swing and missed how many other teams hit on every second round pick?

Sent from my [device_name] using http://JetNation.com mobile app

The problem is he would of been there in the later rounds and wasn’t worth the pick. They could of used it on someone else. I watch ND, PSU then FSU in that order and Hack sucked. 

10 minutes ago, Thai Jet said:

:smilies2_puke:   I just don't like Jackson at all. Great athlete but he can't read a D to save his life which was revealed during "chalk" sessions at the combine. I think his wonderlic might have been a record low. He's more Kizer than he is Watson. 

Exactly! Any player from Louisville also scares me. I can remember a safety we recently drafted from that school that has become a total bust. I wouldn't touch Jackson in the first 3 rounds for sure.  He's a take a chance QB in the later rounds. Maybe he turns out to be good but do we really want that guy as the face of our franchise?

8 minutes ago, Nixhead said:

Exactly! Any player from Louisville also scares me. I can remember a safety we recently drafted from that school that has become a total bust. I wouldn't touch Jackson in the first 3 rounds for sure.  He's a take a chance QB in the later rounds. Maybe he turns out to be good but do we really want that guy as the face of our franchise?

Pass

2 hours ago, bealeb319 said:

He was highly recruited out of high school and our new gm had strong connections to his former coach. The kid has shown is nothing I get it but he had a good ceiling with a high risk low floor...We took a swing and missed how many other teams hit on every second round pick?

Sent from my [device_name] using http://JetNation.com mobile app

plus i heard he was an absolute stud in middle school.....

1 hour ago, Thai Jet said:

He is not comparable to either Kizer, or Watson as an athlete, and can throw the ball better then both, agree he isn’t ready to go to the line, and diagnose a defense, BUT if you know what your doing as a coaching staff you wouldn’t be sending him in there asking him to, your offense would be designed around his skill set, and regardless of how smart he is after about 3 years he should be able to figure it out it’s really not rocket science, the real issue is being calm in the middle of the chaos that’s what separates the haves from the have nots when guys are willing to put the time in that is necessary which from all indications Jackson would do.

Thats why Sanchez failed he could sit in a film room, and tell you what all 21 other players are gonna do pre snap, BUT in the game during the live bullets he went brain dead amidst the chaos while the greats can do both diagnose the film, and execute amidst the chaos, I liked what I’ve seen from Jackson amidst the chaos, like Favre who was not very intelligent he would pick it up as long as being able to play amidst the chaos stayed a non issue.

20 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

I dont think that this is a smoke screen. I think that these are the facts that the Jets are taking into consideration when evaluating Baker Mayfield. Check out this PFF Draft Preview view here. It'll start at the 7:10 mark. Listen to the facts surrounding Baker Mayfields game. 

I also think Mayfield is the best QB in this draft based upon his college career. Does he have the highest upside - maybe not but how often does high upside pan out ? Maybe 5%. Mayfield is what he is and I think he is the least riskiest choice. He will be a solid QB in this league for the next 10-12 years. I will take that any day over a chance that a QB pans out to hit his upside. I really think it's a no brainier for the Jets to pick Mayfield. 

25 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

I dont think that this is a smoke screen. I think that these are the facts that the Jets are taking into consideration when evaluating Baker Mayfield. Check out this PFF Draft Preview view here. It'll start at the 7:10 mark. Listen to the facts surrounding Baker Mayfields game. 

The thumbnail has Mason Rudolph rated higher than Rosen and Darnold.  There's nothing "fact"[ual] about that; it kinds of delegitimizes everything else.  I'll pass.

8 minutes ago, Nixhead said:

I also think Mayfield is the best QB in this draft based upon his college career. Does he have the highest upside - maybe not but how often does high upside pan out ? Maybe 5%. Mayfield is what he is and I think he is the least riskiest choice. He will be a solid QB in this league for the next 10-12 years. I will take that any day over a chance that a QB pans out to hit his upside. I really think it's a no brainier for the Jets to pick Mayfield. 

The best college QB is NOT always the best QB in the draft; they are mutually inclusive items.

48 minutes ago, legler82 said:

The thumbnail has Mason Rudolph rated higher than Rosen and Darnold.  There's nothing "fact"[ual] about that; it kinds of delegitimizes everything else.  I'll pass.

#1. What does that have to do with the facts surrounding Baker Mayfield?

#2. Their ratings are THEIRS. They dont have to push the same narrative because that's the narrative. There are folks who continue to talk about the top 4 QBs in this draft yet for some odd reason they have Allen in that convo and not Lamar Jackson. No one can point out a dominant performance from Allen yet its Lamar being told to consider becoming a wide receiver.

#3. The narrative was that Andrew Luck and RG3 were the best Qbs in their draft class. Well Cousins and Wilson, 3rd and 4th round picks proved that to be wrong, yet if anyone would have said that prior folks like you wouldnt have taken them seriously because their view is actually original?

Its a good idea that you pass. 3 years from now Darnold could be "just another USC qb", Allen is a tight end, Mike White showing that he was better than some of those top 4 and Lamar putting on watson-like performances. When you mature enough to view original perpective then play the video. But if you cant handle it then pass. 

17 minutes ago, legler82 said:

The best college QB is NOT always the best QB in the draft; they are mutually inclusive items.

You write this obvious fact above ^^^ yet pass on the video because of ratings on a thumbnail that dont push the typical narrative of the "best" college qb's having the best rating for the pro level.....

You just exposed yourself to be a hater and hypocrite that quickly. Lol

29 minutes ago, Titan24 said:

Many of the posters have made their bed on this site...... I cannot wait I’m a Darnold,Allen, Rosen, Mayfield Guy 

Me too. I prefer Baker but like all of them. Funny thing is that PFF was the most used data point on not taking Hack, but now that they use the same metrics which have hm graded incredibly high those same people dismiss it.

5 hours ago, mrcoops said:

I have been picking Flowers it the late rounds of just about every mock I have done recently. Love his game. A really versatile and valuable guy to have on your team.

That's nice but what does that have to do with football?

I'm looking at this from the outside...but to me, it would seem like your GM and your coach don't exactly have a lot of time to let a guy sit on the bench....I get it that you have McCown back and Bridgewater.  They can play until the new guy is ready.  Is that really what the owner, the fanbase and even the staff really expect?

Forgetting all the smokescreen etc etc....Mayfields issue is his size...other than that, he is ready to run that offense the day you draft him.  ....plus, aren't you new york folks all about big names and bravado?  Seems like a fit.

12 minutes ago, Zerovoltz said:

I'm looking at this from the outside...but to me, it would seem like your GM and your coach don't exactly have a lot of time to let a guy sit on the bench....I get it that you have McCown back and Bridgewater.  They can play until the new guy is ready.  Is that really what the owner, the fanbase and even the staff really expect?

Forgetting all the smokescreen etc etc....Mayfields issue is his size...other than that, he is ready to run that offense the day you draft him.  ....plus, aren't you new york folks all about big names and bravado?  Seems like a fit.

Not really big names and bravado as much as strong arms and inaccuracy.

On 4/20/2018 at 9:16 PM, Villain The Foe said:

You write this obvious fact above ^^^ yet pass on the video because of ratings on a thumbnail that dont push the typical narrative of the "best" college qb's having the best rating for the pro level.....

You just exposed yourself to be a hater and hypocrite that quickly. Lol

Geno Smith same system and same conference as your boy Shorty Mayfield had 71% completion percentage 41 touchdowns to only 6 ints his senior year.  Then a pro style offense and nfl defenses happened

Smoke n Mirrors

1 hour ago, Philc1 said:

Geno Smith same system and same conference as your boy Shorty Mayfield had 71% completion percentage 41 touchdowns to only 6 ints his senior year.  Then a pro style offense and nfl defenses happened

Smoke n Mirrors

And yet, Geno's QB Rating was 40 points lower!

And yet, Geno did this with Tavon Austin and Stedman Bailey, guys he played with his entire career!

And yet, Geno's YPA is almost 4 yards lower per pass!

And yet, Geno threw over 100 more passes though had 400 less yards!

Any yet, Geno only completed +70% of his passes once!

And yet, Geno's highest QB rating while at WV doesn't even match Mayfield's lowest rating at OU back in 2015. 

And yet, Geno's WV offense...loaded with top 10 draft talent...was not #1 in offense that season. 

And yet, Geno did not win the heisman, was never an All-American, was never an Offensive Player Of The Year.

And yet, Geno never swept every single award a QB could win during that season you're comparing. 

And yet, Geno was passed on by every team during his draft...ultimately being drafted in the 2nd round. 

Smoke n Mirrors is all you've been about since making a JN account and discovering your unnecessary hatred for Baker Mayfield. 

And yet, you continue to be exposed. :-)

24 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

And yet, Geno's QB Rating was 40 points lower!

And yet, Geno did this with Tavon Austin and Stedman Bailey, guys he played with his entire career!

And yet, Geno's YPA is almost 4 yards lower per pass!

And yet, Geno threw over 100 more passes though had 400 less yards!

Any yet, Geno only completed +70% of his passes once!

And yet, Geno's highest QB rating while at WV doesn't even match Mayfield's lowest rating at OU back in 2015. 

And yet, Geno's WV offense...loaded with top 10 draft talent...was not #1 in offense that season. 

And yet, Geno did not win the heisman, was never an All-American, was never an Offensive Player Of The Year.

And yet, Geno never swept every single award a QB could win during that season you're comparing. 

And yet, Geno was past on by every team during his draft...ultimately being drafted in the 2nd round. 

Smoke n Mirrors is all you've been about since making a JN account and discovering your unnecessary hatred for Baker Mayfield. 

And yet, you continue to be exposed. :-)

And yet Baker will have a very similar nfl career as Geno

Archived