Josh McCown our 10 million dollar QB coach

Jetster

12 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Coming from a fan that wants to fire everyone? Coaching seems to be working in Philly & LA..wonder why? Most Jet fans would cream their pants if Belichick retired before the season. 

could you show me where I EVER said I wanted someone fired? IIDK wtf you are on about, honestly.:-k

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
35 minutes ago, jetspenguin said:

NOBODY thinks he is a good mentor because of his record as a player, most of the best coaches who were former players werent necessarily winner or the best players. Most of the best players cant cut it as a coach so his playing/winning record has nothing to do with whether or not he is a good mentor. 

I agree. Was pointing this out to some who had referenced McCown's career record as iif that meant he couldn't/wouldn't be a good QB coach

47 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

The scouting report on Darnold wasn't, "Top prospect only if you roster a 39 year-old backup QB at $10m for his rookie year, but otherwise he'll probably suck."

I'm quite sure it helps to have a veteran to lean on with questions, but Darnold's success or failure will be because of himself. If he's a success it's a bit self-serving to suggest it's only because of McCown. Darnold is a top prospect in his own right with or without McCown on the roster. Most good and great QBs developed without him. 

• Brees had Flutie in place when he arrived. Didn't seem to help as much as time did
  • Rodgers had Favre, who was famous for being the opposite of help to the young QB
  • Russell Wilson had 27 year-old Matt Flynn and...that's it
  • Brady had a cheater for a HC and pre-snap knowledge of the other team's plays lol
  • Flacco had Troy Smith
  • Matt Ryan had Chris Redman
  • Kirk Cousins had RGIII (i.e. nobody)
  • Cam Newton had Derek Anderson and Jimmy Clausen
  • Wentz had a disgruntled Sam Bradford for his first summer. Pederson probably helped more
  • Dalton had Bruce Gradkowski. He's a QBC now...or anyway a volunteer assistant QBC...for a high school

Then consider:

• Ryan Mallett had Tom Brady
  • JP Losman had Bledsoe
  • Rex Grossman had Chris Chandler and Kordell Stewart
  • Jason Campbell had Mark Brunell
  • Kellen Clemens and Chad Henne both had Chad Pennington
  • Matt Leinart had Kurt Warner
  • Vince Young had Kerry Collins
  • John Beck had Trent Green
  • Blaine Gabbert had the Josh's baby brother Luke McCown
  • Hackenberg had Fitz and then McCown
  • Hundreds of other examples if I cared to spend more time

He'll be a great QB or a great hype or somewhere in between because of a combination of his own ability and the work he puts in himself (plus a really good team around him on the field wouldn't hurt). He isn't going to learn by diffusion just because Josh McCown is on the roster at the same time. 

People want something tangible to point to that defines success or failure as a mentor. It's not there. It's the little things done, said, observing, listening to and then apply it to yourself and what you do.  

I've said it before here. People think and expect a mentor to waive a magic wand and transform any QB into Joe Montana. That's not what a mentor is or does. 

Yes, Darnold will succeed or fail based on his play. However, McCown can enhance, offer up suggestions, listen, point out little things that can help Darnold along the way in his development. Just some little things such as, how a NFL QB should prepare for that weeks opponent, how to study film, what to look for when this play is called, what to do if the D shows this, etc...I know people will chime in with, isn't that Bates job (or Lombardi the Asst QB coach) or how McCown is xx-xx as a starter, a loser and I don't want Darnold listening to him..It does help to hear some things from people who have been in the fire, not just on the sidelines. That's not a knock on Bates, Lombardi or any other coach. It's just the truth.  McCown can relate to situations because he's actually been on the field in the heat of the moment when the bullets are flying.  And for those that continue to say McCown is a loser. Well McCown may not have the overall talent to be an elite QB, but he is a 15 yr vet in the highest level of football in the world. How many can say that in their profession.  A "loser" he isn't.    

1 hour ago, JiF said:

Look what he did for Hack and Petty!!!

j/k

I just think the on field mentor/coach is way blown out of proportion and has very little to do with the overall success of a rookie.  They intend to start Josh, that's why he's getting paid 10 mil.  I legit think there is a less than 0% chance anyone other than Josh starts the season (baring injury).  I hope I'm wrong but Todd is a HUGE coward and I cant see him giving the reigns over to a rookie. 

I don't like  Bowles as a HC, but this is myth. Bowles has started plenty of rookies. The only rookie/sophomores that he didn't want to start were Petty and Hack, and you know why? Because they were putrid. It wasn't out of fear, it was out of respect to the other players and their development. He was smart not to start Hack last year mainly because it would have stunted the growth of all the players on the offense. You can only fault Bowles for trying to win games that we should have been trying to lose to get the #2 without trading up (something I was saying last April). But NFL Head Coaches don't try to lose. 

By all indications he is open to starting Darnold this year...assuming he is ready by week 1. It's also pretty clear that barring Mccown going 4-0 to start the year, the plan is to get Darnold in as a starter pretty early on. 

25 minutes ago, C Mart said:

People want something tangible to point to that defines success or failure as a mentor. It's not there. It's the little things done, said, observing, listening to and then apply it to yourself and what you do.  

I've said it before here. People think and expect a mentor to waive a magic wand and transform any QB into Joe Montana. That's not what a mentor is or does. 

Yes, Darnold will succeed or fail based on his play. However, McCown can enhance, offer up suggestions, listen, point out little things that can help Darnold along the way in his development. Just some little things such as, how a NFL QB should prepare for that weeks opponent, how to study film, what to look for when this play is called, what to do if the D shows this, etc...I know people will chime in with, isn't that Bates job (or Lombardi the Asst QB coach) or how McCown is xx-xx as a starter, a loser and I don't want Darnold listening to him..It does help to hear some things from people who have been in the fire, not just on the sidelines. That's not a knock on Bates, Lombardi or any other coach. It's just the truth.  McCown can relate to situations because he's actually been on the field in the heat of the moment when the bullets are flying.  And for those that continue to say McCown is a loser. Well McCown may not have the overall talent to be an elite QB, but he is a 15 yr vet in the highest level of football in the world. How many can say that in their profession.  A "loser" he isn't.    

Great post! McCown cant PLAY for Darnold but he can definitely help him in the film room & on the sideline. Bates has stated that McCown knows this offense like the back of his hand. That's not to say he can run this offense at the highest level based on his individual skill set & age, but he can damn sure relate to the offense & see things that Sam might not be seeing early in his career on the field. Look what Sean McVay has done for Goff in LA. 

Obviously no one can just coach anyone to be a good player, but you can definitely take a good player & make them BETTER at their craft through great coaching. Favre probably would have never had the success he had in Green Bay under Mike Holmgren, if he stayed in Atlanta with Jerry Glanville. Having the right people around Sam just might help him develop a lot faster into an accomplished NFL QB. 

32 minutes ago, C Mart said:

Funny thing is this...........people say Darnold has an "it" factor as a player, an indefinable thing that makes him great. He doesnt do any one thing spectacular but is a winner. What you describe is very similar that McCown has as a mentor, it isnt tangible or something that will show up in Josh's stats........it is a different kind of "it" but it seems everyone in the league  and in the media agrees that it's there and thinks Sam is better off because of it. I dont recall anyone (except on this board) say Josh being there isnt going to help Sam.

He is the perfect QB for Sam to work under, he knows the system, he is all about Sam's success, non threatening and a good teammate all around. 

3 minutes ago, jetspenguin said:

Funny thing is this...........people say Darnold has an "it" factor as a player, an indefinable thing that makes him great. He doesnt do any one thing spectacular but is a winner. What you describe is very similar that McCown has as a mentor, it isnt tangible or something that will show up in Josh's stats........it is a different kind of "it" but it seems everyone in the league  and in the media agrees that it's there and thinks Sam is better off because of it. I dont recall anyone (except on this board) say Josh being there isnt going to help Sam.

This was a theme repeated over & over again by everyone during & after the draft regarding Sam Darnold falling to the Jets at 3. To a MAN, they all said it was a great landing spot for Darnold & they all spoke about Josh McCowns knowledge & character and about how much Sam can learn from the savvy vet. None of them said that about Mayfield landing in Cleveland or Rosen landing in Arizona with Bradford, why? Because Tyrod Taylor & Sam Bradford are competition for those other guys, Josh McCown signed on with Todd Bowles to continue his career, but also to unselfishly do everything he can to help the JETS ORGANIZATION. 

1 minute ago, Jetster said:

This was a theme repeated over & over again by everyone during & after the draft regarding Sam Darnold falling to the Jets at 3. To a MAN, they all said it was a great landing spot for Darnold & they all spoke about Josh McCowns knowledge & character and about how much Sam can learn from the savvy vet. None of them said that about Mayfield landing in Cleveland or Rosen landing in Arizona with Bradford, why? Because Tyrod Taylor & Sam Bradford are competition for those other guys, Josh McCown signed on with Todd Bowles to continue his career, but also to unselfishly do everything he can to help the JETS ORGANIZATION. 

Exactly!  He just said the other day he knows Darnold will, at some point this year, take over and he'll be fine with it. But he's still going to compete like hell because that's who he is and it's only going to make Darnold, Teddy and the Jets better

7 minutes ago, C Mart said:

Exactly!  He just said the other day he knows Darnold will, at some point this year, take over and he'll be fine with it. But he's still going to compete like hell because that's who he is and it's only going to make Darnold, Teddy and the Jets better

I would love to see Josh sign on again at 5 million to back up next year & continue this continuity with Darnold, McCown & Bates. I've never heard a bad thing said about Josh McCown unrelated to his play on the field. Your doing something right when everyone thinks highly of you. 

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

The scouting report on Darnold wasn't, "Top prospect only if you roster a 39 year-old backup QB at $10m for his rookie year, but otherwise he'll probably suck."

I'm quite sure it helps to have a veteran to lean on with questions, but Darnold's success or failure will be because of himself. If he's a success it's a bit self-serving to suggest it's only because of McCown. Darnold is a top prospect in his own right with or without McCown on the roster. Most good and great QBs developed without him. 

• Brees had Flutie in place when he arrived. Didn't seem to help as much as time did
  • Rodgers had Favre, who was famous for being the opposite of help to the young QB
  • Russell Wilson had 27 year-old Matt Flynn and...that's it
  • Brady had a cheater for a HC and pre-snap knowledge of the other team's plays lol
  • Flacco had Troy Smith
  • Matt Ryan had Chris Redman
  • Kirk Cousins had RGIII (i.e. nobody)
  • Cam Newton had Derek Anderson and Jimmy Clausen
  • Wentz had a disgruntled Sam Bradford for his first summer. Pederson probably helped more
  • Dalton had Bruce Gradkowski. He's a QBC now...or anyway a volunteer assistant QBC...for a high school

Then consider:

• Ryan Mallett had Tom Brady
  • JP Losman had Bledsoe
  • Rex Grossman had Chris Chandler and Kordell Stewart
  • Jason Campbell had Mark Brunell
  • Kellen Clemens and Chad Henne both had Chad Pennington
  • Matt Leinart had Kurt Warner
  • Vince Young had Kerry Collins
  • John Beck had Trent Green
  • Blaine Gabbert had the Josh's baby brother Luke McCown
  • Hackenberg had Fitz and then McCown
  • Hundreds of other examples if I cared to spend more time

He'll be a great QB or a great hype or somewhere in between because of a combination of his own ability and the work he puts in himself (plus a really good team around him on the field wouldn't hurt). He isn't going to learn by diffusion just because Josh McCown is on the roster at the same time. 

The scouting report on Darnold is irrelevant: 

1. We had no idea which QB we'd be drafting at the time we signed McCown.  For all we knew we might have needed a starter.  Less likely with Darnold but still a distinct possibility.  $10 M was overpaying for sure so we overpaid by a few $M, so what, we had the cap and we had bigger fish to fry they those measly few bucks.

2. Once again we didn't know which QB we'd get.  Perhaps some of them (perhaps including Darnold) would enjoy and function/perform better with that sort of a security blanket.  That is something we just don't know but better safe then sorry. 

3. So bottom line, me personally, I don't mind a bit of an over payment for a possible stopgap starter and/or possible security blanket.  I think we are in line for post season possibilities this year and if McCown is an ingredient then cool.      

1 hour ago, Jetster said:

Oh f*ck YOU! You are biggest azz on this f*cking site, nothing but put downs, snarky remarks & stupid azz responses! There is no doubt in my mind your a pencil d*cked loser with arms as thick as broomsticks tappinmg away in your mothers basement. You literally are the worst thing about fan sites! 

For your information, both Vinnie Testeverde & Mark Brunnell were the WORST MENTORS! Neither of the 2 were EVER considered MENTAL GIANTS when it came to Xs & Os. Brunnells career was OVER when he had to play in the pocket, plus he was only here to collect a check to pay off his debts that the stupid azz wracked up in the real world. Fitzpatrick was a MENTOR? yea, ok! He showed those young guys how to throw 5 picks in a game.

Hahaha don't lash out at me because yet another ridiculously baseless claim of yours is so easily shown to be ridiculously baseless.

For my information, lol.

Drew Brees said Brunell was an invaluable influence and resource to him in New Orleans. 

Fitz throwing picks has little to do with being a mentor, and people threw that word around to rationalize his presence for a solid 2 seasons.

5 picks in a game, lol. How many picks has McCown thrown over the years? Has he ever been the QB a real contender wanted to start for them? If I were you I'd retort with, "What's McCown going to show him, how to lose 2/3 of his starts?" They're two different things, and anyone trying to highlight the wisdom of McCown's presence presumably should know this.

You just like to make things up and pretend they're facts, then lash out like a child as you're doing now when your posts are easily shown to be the fabrications they are. 

Also if you continue with the expletives as you are your time here will be limited.

4 minutes ago, Jetster said:

I would love to see Josh sign on again at 5 million to back up next year & continue this continuity with Darnold, McCown & Bates. I've never heard a bad thing said about Josh McCown unrelated to his play on the field. Your doing something right when everyone thinks highly of you. 

Was thinking the same thing. My hope is the Jets draft a QB in the '19 4th-5th round with hope of grooming him to be a b/u to Sam for years to come and it would be great to have McCown for another yr. 

23 hours ago, JiF said:

His professionalism and on the field coaching really helped Johnny Manziel, so he's worth every penny of that 10 mil.

JC. 

Jan 13, 2017, 9:23pm

Josh McCown and Johnny Manziel spent just one season together with the Cleveland Browns but it apparently left an impression.

Manziel cited McCown's leadership and guidance on numerous occasions during his time with the Browns. Manziel and Cleveland parted ways in the Spring but McCown was apparently always just a phone call away.

During a radio appearance with 92.3 The Fan, McCown offered that he still speaks with the disgruntled quarterback.

Keith Britton✔@KeithBritton86

#Browns QB Josh McCown on Johnny Manziel: "We keep in touch...because it's important to me that we do"

4:53 PM - Jan 12, 2017

Many have reached out to the Heisman quarterback for help but few have been successful based on reports.

McCown has always been known as a good teammate and is considered to have a strong future as a head coach. His kind demeanor and ability to build relationships is others are two reasons why he has been successful.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/report-josh-mccown-remains-in-touch-with-johnny-manziel/

Johnny Manziel does not see reunion with Cleveland

By JOSH EDWARDS Feb 26, 10:20 AM

"I wasn't ready after Year One. I didn't know what it really took to study and grind the way these guys do. Guys like Tom Brady, Drew Brees, Big Ben, like the guys that are really, really high level players. They are high level players because they are in the facility every day. They know every coverage. They have seen every snap of every game of the opponent that they are about to play and I didn't understand that. And Cleveland, they definitely didn't help me learn. I had no idea what I was supposed to study. No idea what an NFL schedule was supposed to look like. I thought if it was 7:30 in the morning, you get there at 7:25 and then when you are done at 6, you go home at 6."

Cleveland is in the position to draft a quarterback in the first round yet again. They do not have any veterans with success on the roster, however.

Manziel benefited by the presence of one veteran in his second season.

"When Josh McCown got there the next year, that's not how it was. He was like 'hey, let me put you under my wing and show you what it is like, I've been doing this for 15 years, let me show you.' If it wasn't for him, I wouldn't have figured out anything. I would've never known what it was like to stay there from 6 am to stay there until 8 or 9 at night. It's really what it takes to be good. It takes a team at the end of the day to really go out and be good but individually knowing what you are doing, eliminating your mistakes, I never would have learned that without Josh McCown. I feel like for me to have gone somewhere with a solid, established starter that can teach me, show me the ropes and I can follow in their footsteps would've been ideal for me, for sure."

The Texas A&M product is working towards his return to the NFL. He does not foresee a scenario in which he would return to the Browns.

"I would think not. We've been down that path. We've seen it. The relationship that I had with [owner] Jimmy Haslam and the people, some are still around the organization, I know it has changed a lot. I just don't see what the benefit would be to go back and try to do it all over again. Do I feel like I would be in a better place? Sure. Did I like Cleveland towards my second year when I moved out of downtown and got on the golf course and started doing things I truly love? Sure. It did grow on me a little bit. I think we've kind of crossed that bridge and if anything that bridge is still probably flaming a bit," he finished.

Manziel completed 147-of-258 passes for 1,675 yards, seven touchdowns and seven interceptions. He also had 46 carries for 259 yards and a touchdown. The Texas native, who was selected No. 22 overall in the 2014 NFL Draft, has not played a game since Sep. 13, 2015.

The 25 year old recently agreed to compete in The Spring League next month but also holds a contract offer from the Hamilton Tiger-Cats of the CFL.

5 minutes ago, LIJetsFan said:

The scouting report on Darnold is irrelevant: 

1. We had no idea which QB we'd be drafting at the time we signed McCown.  For all we knew we might have needed a starter.  Less likely with Darnold but still a distinct possibility.  $10 M was overpaying for sure so we overpaid by a few $M, so what, we had the cap and we had bigger fish to fry they those measly few bucks.

2. Once again we didn't know which QB we'd get.  Perhaps some of them (perhaps including Darnold) would enjoy and function/perform better with that sort of a security blanket.  That is something we just don't know but better safe then sorry. 

3. So bottom line, me personally, I don't mind a bit of an over payment for a possible stopgap starter and/or possible security blanket.  I think we are in line for post season possibilities this year and if McCown is an ingredient then cool.      

I hear you, but I don't see how Darnold singularly requires McCown in a way the other two wouldn't. 

My issue with it is we let money get in the way elsewhere. I'd rather have gone over by another million or two per year on a beast of a guard upgrade to keep our QB(s) upright. 

JMO but it's not just a bit more for McCown; it's that this rationalization of it's only a little bit more was used on many has-been/never-were veterans, and cumulatively they (and the less-crucial positions drafted early) add up to the point we have an el-cheapo OL protecting our QBs. Whether it was a belief in Hackenberg previously, or whichever QB we planned on drafting (or signing) this year, none of them don't need an OL.

1 hour ago, C Mart said:

Maybe you're replying to the wrong post. I don't care about McCown's record as a starter personally, just like someone else whined about Fitz being a poor mentor because he threw "5 picks" (actually it was 6 but said poster likely doesn't actually watch football games) once in 2016. Was every good coach a good player? Of course not; far from it, actually. 

I think he's going to relay some experience he's had, and maybe give some pointers on what made something easier for him to remember or cope with or whatever. I certainly have no problem with that, but the takeaway point of the post you're quoting is precisely that having a mentor-type veteran or not having one doesn't determine a player's success as a pro. Plenty of failures have had them and plenty of successes did without.

6 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I hear you, but I don't see how Darnold singularly requires McCown in a way the other two wouldn't. 

My issue with it is we let money get in the way elsewhere. I'd rather have gone over by another million or two per year on a beast of a guard upgrade to keep our QB(s) upright. 

JMO but it's not just a bit more for McCown; it's that this rationalization of it's only a little bit more was used on many has-been/never-were veterans, and cumulatively they (and the less-crucial positions drafted early) add up to the point we have an el-cheapo OL protecting our QBs. Whether it was a belief in Hackenberg previously, or whichever QB we planned on drafting (or signing) this year, none of them don't need an OL.

This is like the "cheaper younger better" argument you made for replacing brick 

The Jets went after oline, they chose to sign elsewhere probably because of the Jets QB situation. 

Let's be honest, if Maccagnan broke the bank for weston Richburg you would be killing that signing 

1 hour ago, jetspenguin said:

NOBODY thinks he is a good mentor because of his record as a player, most of the best coaches who were former players werent necessarily winner or the best players. Most of the best players cant cut it as a coach so his playing/winning record has nothing to do with whether or not he is a good mentor. 

I tend to agree with this. The work they put in aside, great players have other instincts and ability that didn't need to be taught. They were special talents. Well special talents don't necessarily make special teachers of how to get by without their own specific talents.

Could a 40 year-old Aaron Rodgers teach a rookie Chad Pennington how to the ball through a wall? Could an older, has-been Michael Vick teach a pocket QB to up his 40 time from 5.1 to 4.3? Could a veteran Eli Manning have taught a rookie Bridgewater how to be more durable? It's ridiculous. 

On the other hand, a player who didn't possess those elite talents innately had to learn on his own. That's something he could more likely pass on than someone born on 3rd base talent-wise.

1 minute ago, Larz said:

This is like the "cheaper younger better" argument you made for replacing brick 

The Jets went after oline, they chose to sign elsewhere probably because of the Jets QB situation. 

Let's be honest, if Maccagnan broke the bank for weston Richburg you would be killing that signing 

Brick sucked his last 2 years here. He was meh in pass blocking and an outright liability in run blocking. You're still beating that drum? Lol.

He went after 1 elite-level OLman, and let him get away while sitting on nearly $100m of cap room for this year alone. 

What I wouldn't be killing him for is if he'd taken a center in the draft after cutting Mangold, instead of putting all his eggs in Wes Johnson, and putting him in the position to pay heavily for just-ok. The differential between the moves for this position alone is about $30m.

But hey, we have Ardarius Stewart instead so it's all good. 

2 hours ago, Bruce Harper said:

I will respectfully disagree.  Bowles has a history of playing his GOOD rookies.  The scrub young QBs stayed on the bench.  It turns out he was right about that because they were really bad.  I think Darnold will start week one, unless he really stinks up the joint.

I would say Sam starts if he learns the playbook and can master the offense AND they have confidence that the OL won't get him killed.

As far as 10 million for a good mentor, well, as it was pointed out, they signed him before they knew who they were going to get. From the sounds of it, had the Jets landed Baker, McCown might have started much of the year.

As also pointed out, McCown gives Sam something that Sanchez never had - real competition; in fact he has 2 QBs in front of him. If he wins the starting job, he would have earned it - that makes him compete more, and once he gets there he would already have the respect of the team. Also, if he gets into a bad place (remember Sanchez), they can sit him for 1/2 game or 3 games and let him get his head right.

Finally, you don't need to be a great athlete with a winning record to be a positive influence on Sam. The hardest transition to NFL for QB seems to be putting in the work (more than GYM rat) studying film, etc. Also, there is the problem with reading defenses. Finally, you need to stay grounded - not let the hype get you too up or too down. I think McCown will be a positive influence on a QB that is already grounded, smart, and hard working - so, it is a positive. McCown also has the temperament to mentor. He knows his role. It is unlike Farve and Rogers, etc. McCown doesn't expect to be a starter for long and he is a 'better' teammate then most starring NFL QBs. It is in their nature to want to compete and not mentor - that's what makes them winners.

And for those claiming that coaching is overrated; please consider that when going off on how bad our coach is. I am personally not that sold on him (although I see why he would never bench Fitz or McCown for Petty or Hack). But, if coaching isn't important, than being bad shouldn't be a problem :-)

Lastly, I love how fans get worked up by the 10 million dollars as if it came out of their own pockets (although it does with ticket/tv renvenue). Who cares. The blew 10 million and they still have cap room. He isn't the reason we didn't spend more money on the OL - it was the availability of quality OL FAs. And as for the roster spot; who would you rather take the other QB spot, McCown or Petty? Do you think the Jets would go into the season with a rookie and no vet to back him up? So, they could have gone elsewhere, but they would still have to pay in the millions.

This way they have a guy that can start if needed and is real competition. Yeah, maybe they could have saved 5 million; so, they only paid an extra few million for the mentor, not the whole 10 - if that makes you feel better.

2 hours ago, Jetster said:

How the hell did they make a snarky azz like you a moderator? Seriously, your responses to almost everything on this site is like a Beevus & Butthead discussion. You type & probably go haa..haa..ha. 

This site was built on snark. It is our pride and joy.

The blowjob-giving forum is on another website so you may be in the wrong place.

All the mods post and get advice from that site, too, incidentally. I'll PM you a link.

6 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

The blowjob-giving forum is on another website so you may be in the wrong place.

All the mods post and get advice from that site, too, incidentally. I'll PM you a link.

sharkattack01_1024x1024.jpg?v=1527299537

3 hours ago, Jetster said:

This literally is the 1st time I remember the NY Jets having people in place to bring a young QB along. How cool was it to see McCown welcome Sam to the fold with a head slap? There is no doubt in my mind that having McCown around is the best thing that could happen for a QB under pressure to perform than a guy who's been around forever, encouraging him to be himself, relax & win the QB job. 

McCown is the ultimate teammate, understands his limitations but studies hard, knows the playbook, can translate what he knows and knows he's here to get Sam Darnold up to speed to play QB for the NY Jets. Unselfish guys like this are hard to find, I see him as a future Frank Reich in NFL coaching circles if he does want to pursue coaching in the NFL. It always seems to be the grinders that end up the best coaches, not the elite guys who don't struggle. Jets are doing this right with Darnold, and the 10 million for McCown is worth it. Plus, you have Teddy B, another "nice guy", struggling to get back to where he was before his horrific injury. So Sam gets to work with 2 super classy, hard working, knowledgeable individuals throughout camp & preseason. You couldn't write this script any better. 

Yeah okay. Just what you want a guy with McCowns career won-lost record showing Darnold the ropes. Unless he's showing him what not to do I wouldn't want a scrub like McCown anywhere near my FQB. You keep deluding yourself though.

14 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

**** you! I'll just go elsewhere, I was getting sick of all the idiots like you on this site anyway. Go **** yourself, and Sperm is a great moniker for you! Max and Glen should realize that assholes like you DON'T make the site & especially the forums any better. You being a MODERATOR is like pervert working a daycare.

I'm so happy Sam has Josh, and Teddy.  The situation worked out perfectly for Sam, maybe not for the franchise or the fans, but as mature as Sam is, and his enormous raw talent, he's still a nice kid from a tight knit beach town that needed to escape the big city and a high profile program like USC to be with friends and family back home.

nice to have these guys in a close QB room to help his adjustment along, he did come from across the country to play for the Jets, nice situation for him.

4 hours ago, Jetster said:

This literally is the 1st time I remember the NY Jets having people in place to bring a young QB along. How cool was it to see McCown welcome Sam to the fold with a head slap? There is no doubt in my mind that having McCown around is the best thing that could happen for a QB under pressure to perform than a guy who's been around forever, encouraging him to be himself, relax & win the QB job. 

McCown is the ultimate teammate, understands his limitations but studies hard, knows the playbook, can translate what he knows and knows he's here to get Sam Darnold up to speed to play QB for the NY Jets. Unselfish guys like this are hard to find, I see him as a future Frank Reich in NFL coaching circles if he does want to pursue coaching in the NFL. It always seems to be the grinders that end up the best coaches, not the elite guys who don't struggle. Jets are doing this right with Darnold, and the 10 million for McCown is worth it. Plus, you have Teddy B, another "nice guy", struggling to get back to where he was before his horrific injury. So Sam gets to work with 2 super classy, hard working, knowledgeable individuals throughout camp & preseason. You couldn't write this script any better. 

Well, Vinny brought Chad along. That's the last I remember when we had such a scenario.

4 hours ago, Jetster said:

A yr deal too. We have plenty of cap. For what he put out last yr, it all evens out. 

1 hour ago, JetFaninMI said:

Yeah okay. Just what you want a guy with McCowns career won-lost record showing Darnold the ropes. Unless he's showing him what not to do I wouldn't want a scrub like McCown anywhere near my FQB. You keep deluding yourself though.

Everybody is a role model..some show you what to do, others show you what NOT to do.

1 hour ago, Dinamite said:

Mark brunnel and Sanchez?  Nevermind

Nah.....ages might have been close but can you imagine Sam EVER putting a booger on uncle Josh? or eating a hot dog on the sidelines? The kid is too mature and uncle Josh has too much respect from his teammates to do that nasty ish.

Archived