Jets Training Camp- 8/18

Patriot Killa

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Some easing perspective from Glenn yesterday

17 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

The moment of truth, who will be taking the majority of the starter reps. 

I think it’ll be Sam and TB even or only slight edge to Sam. Keep that fire lit under him and help TB trade value. More to motivate Sam even more if that’s even possible. 

4 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

My predication is that Sam starts again with Teddy coming in 2nd half just last the Washington game.

Game 4 might be the same.

Our unique situation (and lack of other QBs) May lead to Sam/TB playing in the 4th game. I’m sure they can throw McCown in. He has to do SOMETHING to earn some of that $10 million haha. 

Bowles said Darnold got the start to see him go against a tough defense. 

Bowles also said that he will play Darnold in different times of the preseason games 

I don't think Darnold starting is an indication of a change in the depth chart 

It wouldn't surprise me to see Darnold get lots of practice reps but teddy might start the next game to also get him ready and of course to audition him 

Of course Bowles is full of sh*t especially when it comes to camp QB competition so it may be a bunch of hooey 

Bowles said Darnold got the start to see him go against a tough defense. 
Bowles also said that he will play Darnold in different times of the preseason games 
I don't think Darnold starting is an indication of a change in the depth chart 
It wouldn't surprise me to see Darnold get lots of practice reps but teddy might start the next game to also get him ready and of course to audition him 
Of course Bowles is full of sh*t especially when it comes to camp QB competition so it may be a bunch of hooey 
If Bowles had his way mccown would be our starter until he retires or even worse we might bring back fitz

Sent from my [device_name] using http://JetNation.com mobile app

1 minute ago, bealeb319 said:

If Bowles had his way mccown would be our starter until he retires or even worse we might bring back fitz

Sent from my [device_name] using http://JetNation.com mobile app

Bealeb...Bowles is the Head Coach...Bowles does have his way. 

With that said, I genuinely believe he will play the best QB and assuming he won’t play a younger guy IF that guy is better than McCown is a little........silly.

3 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Yeah, except for the fact that another 10 times guys came in free and he had to break the play or get rid of it quicker.  The 'starting' oline was trash.

They didn’t have a good game.

but...

I reserve permanent judgment on the OL until I see Winters and Beachum back in the line up for a few games..I refuse to even react if they have a bad game Week 1 becauss an OL typically has to gel.

Week 5 lets see where they are at.

11 minutes ago, Larz said:

I’d expect Darnold to get the lion’s share of QB reps overall today, and about 80% of the starting reps. He’ll then start next week (traditionally the regular season tuneup), and play into the third quarter. 

Then he’ll play a series or two in the last preseason game before finally, officially being named the opening day starter. 

1 minute ago, slats said:

I’d expect Darnold to get the lion’s share of QB reps overall today, and about 80% of the starting reps. He’ll then start next week (traditionally the regular season tuneup), and play into the third quarter. 

Then he’ll play a series or two in the last preseason game before finally, officially being named the opening day starter. 

That's also possible but I hate to be that guy but this is Bowles we're talking about. 

Whatever happens it will be so nice next year for a normal camp where Darnold is entrenched and the backups are trying to compete for scraps 

1 hour ago, Patriot Killa said:

I will ask person screaming at a Jet camp saying we don’t need Danold is a fruitcake and I’m just trying to find out who it is out here :)   

I will break tradition here and say that the OL is so bad that the Jets should start TB!!! Yes that is right, I would start TB for four games and look to trade him and bring in Darnold at that point.   

Give him and the OL time to get together a little more. 

9 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

They didn’t have a good game.

but...

I reserve permanent judgment on the OL until I see Winters and Beachum back in the line up for a few games..I refuse to even react if they have a bad game Week 1 becauss an OL typically has to gel.

Week 5 lets see where they are at.

The issue is, part of an "oline" is depth.  The jets have put so few resources in the oline and have been just happy to hang on to guys they know that can never push the starters.

Also injury history is part of player analysis.

Guys like Qvale and Dozier have been here 3 or more years and have not made a solid push for starter status, they are fill ins.  And our oline was no great shakes to begin with.

We are going to have to tailor make our offense and game plan to take into account a bad oline and that is on the gm.

3 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

The issue is, part of an "oline" is depth.  The jets have put so few resources in the oline and have been just happy to hang on to guys they know that can never push the starters.

Also injury history is part of player analysis.

Guys like Qvale and Dozier have been here 3 or more years and have not made a solid push for starter status, they are fill ins.  And our oline was no great shakes to begin with.

We are going to have to tailor make our offense and game plan to take into account a bad oline and that is on the gm.

Oh I agree. The depth is absolutely terrible and the starters are nothing to write home about either. It’s a terrible situation and it must be fixed next offseason.

I think that’s on the top of Macc’s priorities list.

OLB

OL

23 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Oh I agree. The depth is absolutely terrible and the starters are nothing to write home about either. It’s a terrible situation and it must be fixed next offseason.

I think that’s on the top of Macc’s priorities list.

OLB

OL

Macc's priorities list:

1. Coffee

2. Send thank you note to Chris Johnson

3. More coffee

4. Buy stock in Starbucks

5. Re-sign Buster Skrine

6. Follow Jamal Adams on Twitter

7. More extensions

8. Visit hospital for injured football players

9. Renew his lease on his New York home

10. BAP

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

Yup watch the game and not the sack totals, wash players came free far more often than just those sacks.  The oline was bad.

Jets also averaged 2.9 yards per carry last week, and that includes a couple of long runs from Atkinson. The line has been bad.

9 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Teddy Bridgewaters best year would Bortles 4th best year. 

So just for a little data...Bortles has played four years.  His 4th best year he had 11 TD, 17 INTs, 58.9% Completion pct. and a QB Rating of 69.5.  

Bridgewaters' best year?  14 TDs, 9 INTs, 65.3% completion rate and QB rating of 88.7.

Nothing like the bright light of data to mess up some fat hyperbole :)

Having said all that, I think Bortles is better than most give him credit for but definitely prone to bad stretches that can kill a team.  And Bridgewater is probably not as good as his rep might suggest.  If anything, I'd put them at about the same level in terms of what I'd expect from them with a slight edge to Bortles because he did have that one very good season and Teddy hasn't shown his ceiling yet.

Archived