Mike Greenberg Interview with Rex Ryan

VinnyT16

5 minutes ago, Creepy Lurker said:

Rex is a great motivator and would be a great coordinator. Offense>defense and you really need someone who knows what they are doing running the offense. Not a scared/conservative defensive coordinator telling the offense what to do just because he’s the coach. 

I think Rex could be GREAT in a limited role like defensive coordinator after having HC experience and would be good for a lockeroom as long as he knew his place and the pecking order.

That’s the problem, Rex probably couldn’t handle just being a coordinator and no one in their right mind would trust him. If he could handle it and genuinely missed football, he could be great in this role. He just seems like to much of a blowhard to make it work. 

I wonder which head coach Rex would work well with. Harbaugh? McCarthy? 

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, playtowinthegame said:

I wonder which head coach Rex would work well with. Harbaugh? McCarthy? 

Sadly probably no one. He has too big of an ego and talks to much. He’d inevitably say stuff to the media(who love him) that he wasn’t supposed to and it wouldn’t work. I wish it could work though. It’s his only way to still be in the league since he’s not head coach material. 

43 minutes ago, DRJETS said:

Rex was the best Jets coach in my lifetime  No other Jets coaches had ever appear in two AFFCG and he did it with a QB that threw for 12 TD and 20 INT.  The Jets 2009 defense was one of the all time best despite being hampered by the QB position putting the defense in bad situation and did it with no pass rush, just scheming.  His overload blitzes were a thing of beauty to watch.  Beating a much more superior team of  Payton and Brady back to back away in the playoff with an excellent game plan and coming one drive short of beating Big Ben was simply amazing.  I can only imagine if we had kept Favre in 2009.  

It’s a stretch to say that the Jets would have won a Super Bowl in 2009-2010 with a better QB. 

I’d agree they likely would have won more games in the regular season, but still probably would’ve had to go through the postseason via the wildcard given the fact NE was in the division. 

Say what you want about Sanchez, but the guy was money in the playoffs. Both of those AFC Championship game losses were on Rex’s defense. 2009 you tip your cap to Manning, but the 2010 Jets should be ashamed of themselves for letting Rashard Mendenhall run all over them. 

There is also no guarantee Favre would have gotten the team any further than Sanchez did either of those years. In fact I’d argue Favre was more likely to commit a killer turnover that could have prevented the Jets from even getting as far as they did. 

1 hour ago, GreenWhite said:

It’s a stretch to say that the Jets would have won a Super Bowl in 2009-2010 with a better QB. 

I’d agree they likely would have won more games in the regular season, but still probably would’ve had to go through the postseason via the wildcard given the fact NE was in the division. 

Say what you want about Sanchez, but the guy was money in the playoffs. Both of those AFC Championship game losses were on Rex’s defense. 2009 you tip your cap to Manning, but the 2010 Jets should be ashamed of themselves for letting Rashard Mendenhall run all over them. 

There is also no guarantee Favre would have gotten the team any further than Sanchez did either of those years. In fact I’d argue Favre was more likely to commit a killer turnover that could have prevented the Jets from even getting as far as they did. 

I don't think so.  The defense only gave up 17 points that game.  Sanchez did sh*t the first half and even gave 7 points to the other team.  Those points were the difference in the game.

4 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Rex singlehandedly won that game with a gameplan.  Completely confused and befuddled the Patriots offense.  It was a thing of beauty.....and also lightning in a bottle that disappeared the following week.

Wanna hear the hottest take of the century? A rookie Sam Darnold takes us to one of those two Super Bowls we had a crack at. 

Maybe both.

3 hours ago, GreenWhite said:

They gave up 24 points in the first half and then never gave up a single point for the rest of the game. Point blank, Sanchez had one drive down 19-24 to win this thing and send us to the super bowl ... the one time we needed him to ascend from game manager to franchise QB and he couldn’t deliver.

The game is one the whole team but the game could of been won if not for Sanchez. He could not step up in the most pvitol moment in our franchise history since 1968-69

4 hours ago, playtowinthegame said:

Rex still bleeds green...He's a Jet forever. I would love to have him as our defensive coordinator paired with our next head coach.

30 minutes ago, jetscrazey said:

Look I love Rex but he's in the 20th century as far as offense goes, and isn't head coach material in 2018.  I don't see him evolving much there.  If he ever came back as a DC he could be nasty though.

Rex is too much of a ego driven blow hard. He’ll want his “HC throne” back and wouldn’t be satisfied with coaching Defense.

1 hour ago, Patriot Killa said:

They gave up 24 points in the first half and then never gave up a single point for the rest of the game. Point blank, Sanchez had one drive down 19-24 to win this thing and send us to the super bowl ... the one time we needed him to ascend from game manager to franchise QB and he couldn’t deliver.

The game is one the whole team but the game could of been won if not for Sanchez. He could not step up in the most pvitol moment in our franchise history since 1968-69

Were you watching the game? The Jets defense couldnt get the ball back to Sanchez at the end. 

52 minutes ago, VinnyT16 said:

Were you watching the game? The Jets defense couldnt get the ball back to Sanchez at the end. 

Had nothing to do with the end.

Sanchez had one drive down 19-24. His last drive had to be a touchdown.

it wasnt.

end of story.

the defense screwed up in the beginning but didn’t give up a single point. There is no two ways to this.

Love Rex, but he’s not HC material. Having said that, I would love if we hired a offensive coach as HC, and Rex as DC (which he most likely won’t ever do). 

If you think our roster is bad now, I think people might be forgetting how bad it was in 2012-2014. I had more confidence in Rex’s D those years than any Bowles has fielded.

8 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Rex singlehandedly won that game with a gameplan.  Completely confused and befuddled the Patriots offense.  It was a thing of beauty.....and also lightning in a bottle that disappeared the following week.

Remember when he was lining Drew Coleman up at DE, daring Manning to run the ball?

Rex is a defensive genius, no doubt.  Best Football mind we've had in the building in a long long time.  Shame.

4 minutes ago, JiF said:

Remember when he was lining Drew Coleman up at DE, daring Manning to run the ball?

Rex is a defensive genius, no doubt.  Best Football mind we've had in the building in a long long time.  Shame.

Unfortunately, he ran such complex schemes that our players would blow coverage for huge plays so often.

14 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Rex Ryan 2009-2010 AFC Championship Games appearances as NY Jets HC 

We haven't sniffed the playoffs with Todd Bowles as HC 

We did get a sniff of the playoffs in 2015, but Bowles couldn't get his team for ready for a Rex coached Bills team who were playing for nothing. 

5 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Unfortunately, he ran such complex schemes that our players would blow coverage for huge plays so often.

Remember with the 10-5 NY Jets went into Buffalo in week 17 in 2015 and Rex Ryan completely shut down the best offense in the history of our franchise and crushed the Jets playoffs hopes?

That was cool! 

18 minutes ago, JiF said:

Remember with the 10-5 NY Jets went into Buffalo in week 17 in 2015 and Rex Ryan completely shut down the best offense in the history of our franchise and crushed the Jets playoffs hopes?

That was cool! 

Nah we just truly sucked and we needed someone to show us we sucked.

10 minutes ago, JiF said:

Oh, so it didnt happen.  Neat! 

Lol you really gotta stop acting like I’m saying things I clearly didn’t type or imply. You did this yesterday too.

All I said was we actually sucked and he showed us why we sucked. We sucked more than Rex coached good, otherwise he wouldn’t of gotten canned for the other 30-some games.

13 minutes ago, sourceworx said:

I'm going to get killed for saying this, but....I love Rex. I'd bring him back and keep Bates on as OC. We aren't firing Mac. May as well bring in a coach who can get the defense to realize its potential. Rex can do that.

I wouldn't be mad at bringing him back but at the same time I would be mad.  

17 minutes ago, sourceworx said:

At least he was fun. And the defense was good. 

The biggest problem was QB when he was here. That isn't a problem now.

His problem was also the typical defensive coach conservative/scared offense that WILL NOT work. If he just focused on the defense doing its thing and let a modern nfl offensive coordinator do his thing, there would be no issue.

When you are head coach, you have a say on everything and that can be detrimental to the team if you are close minded like Rex was and Bowles is. Bowles is straight up trash dog sh*t though. 

1 minute ago, Creepy Lurker said:

His problem was also the typical defensive coach conservative/scared offense that WILL NOT work. If he just focused on the defense doing its thing and let a modern nfl offensive coordinator do his thing, there would be no issue.

When you are head coach, you have a say on everything and that can be detrimental to the team if you are close minded like Rex was and Bowles is. Bowles is straight up trash dog sh*t though. 

Don Coryell would be scared with Sanchez and Geno as his QB's Creepy.

6 minutes ago, genot said:

Don Coryell would be scared with Sanchez and Geno as his QB's Creepy.

I hear ya and maybe if Rex had Favre or Peyton he would have coached completely different. The way he talks up these great QBs I imagine that he would. It’s a what if scenario that we’ll never know and he’s not coming back. I would take ANYONE over Bowles including Rex if there is truly nothing out there but we need an offensive minded coach/philosophy. 

I mean, Rex was clearly unfit to be an NFL head coach over the long haul but he brought way more to the table than Bowles does.

At a minimum he was 1) an elite defensive coach from a scheme perspective 2) a good motivator whose players loved him and 3) brought a certain amount of swagger to the team. He had loads of other faults but there were at least identifiable things he did well.

What does Bowles to well? He's a bad game day coach who can't manage the clock, manage timeouts or make critical decisions well. His players don't really seem to respect or play particularly hard for him. His teams often seem unprepared or uninspired. His teams commit lots of penalties. He is, I guess, above average from a defensive scheme perspective but has only fielded a top 10 defense once in four years despite countless resources poured into the position. There's really nothing he can rest his hat on and say "I'm really good at this. I bring this to the table."

6 hours ago, NoBowles said:

Under most of Rex’s tenure here, we did nothing but draft defense with high draft picks. His defense got worse pretty much every year.

he started with the number 5 defense in buffalo and it got worse both years.

Jet fans: Rex is a defensive genius 

And I believe he pulled Tannys strings asa Defense guy.  WHat did we get.  Wilson, Coples etc...

Archived