Whats your favorite memory as a Jets fan?

VinnyT16

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
56 minutes ago, CTM said:

Yep, I mean outside of the years of ineptitude and losing that followed that 86 team will always have a special place in my heart, particularly Obriem. Waller and Toon  My little kid brain interpreted that win as my win against this intruder in my house.

Most of my family are Giants fans, and I followed them to the Yankees so fair chance I wouldve landed there. The fact that the Giants won the SB that very year should've been a sign, but I was hooked 

Funny thing my Dad was a Mets fan and I escaped that potential duel disaster because I was amazed at the Yankee's past players and the incredible stats they put up.

3 hours ago, CTM said:

Same. I had extra juice cause my parents had gotten divorced the year before and my moms new douche boyfriend was a Dolphins fan. We watched the game together 

The up's and downs in that game were Epic when Miami took the lead late you had to be miserable. Then good ole Kenny O hit Wesley in the front of the endzone with a rocket to send the game into OT with like 5 seconds left. That was one of the hardest throws Ive ever seen he just rifled that ball in to Walker.

The hardest thing to deal with that year was I felt we were the best team in football until all the injuries hit and there was a rash of injuries that put us on that 5 game losing streak. Then the Idiot Gastineau penalty in the playoffs ugh

14 hours ago, CTM said:

The one that made me a jets fan, 51-45 1986.. all downhill since 

I was at that game.  Great overtime win, with Wesley Walker catching the bomb and into the end zone. Definitely one of the best Jet games ever!

29 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

The up's and downs in that game were Epic when Miami took the lead late you had to be miserable. Then good ole Kenny O hit Wesley in the front of the endzone with a rocket to send the game into OT with like 5 seconds left. That was one of the hardest throws Ive ever seen he just rifled that ball in to Walker.

The hardest thing to deal with that year was I felt we were the best team in football until all the injuries hit and there was a rash of injuries that put us on that 5 game losing streak. Then the Idiot Gastineau penalty in the playoffs ugh

We were dominant until week 11. Fell apart losing the last 5 and looked like the season was over only to turn it around with a WC win and a late lead against Cleveland.  We had creamed Denver earlier in the year so Supwr Bowl seemed like a real possibility until f'ing Gastineau

What a heart breaking year 

Mrs. Crimson was reading this over my shoulder and wanted to add her $0.02. Since she was my season ticket partner for over 3 decades, I figure she earned her say 

Back in the Shea days we were surrounding by a lot of great folks in the Mezz. Same people came year after year as there was still a waiting list and no one ever moved seats. One of our favorites was a pair of brothers who brought their wives to every game.  The wives sat together while the brothers sat on their respective flanks having apoplexy yelling at often mediocre teams. The ladies had little to no interest in football but dutifully came weekly and provided nice words and (more importantly) sandwiches to "their boys" in front of them. The first game that I brought the future Mrs, C they drilled her for while before declaring their approval. It actually pleased me and produced a measure of relief. The ladies spent the game having all sorts of conversation, knitting (really) and discussing family and children while seemingly totally oblivious regarding the action on the field or how close their respective husbands were to bursting veins in their heads over the play by our beloved Green and White.

I don't remember the year or details but I do remember the event.  It was late in a close game and Todd went back to pass. The brothers were screaming, the crowd was electric. Walker got open deep, the fans roared as one and Todd … overthrew him. The loudness of the stadium dissolved into some groans and then the dead silence that follows such an event, At that brief moment of silence, all you heard was one of our ladies, both actually knitting at the time, saying " … and you add three pats of butter then bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes, then …"

Doesn't sound like much in print but it was like experiencing a living Norman Rockwell painting at the time.

13 minutes ago, Tony MaC said:

Winning the AFC East title in 2002. My first live Jets game. One of the fondest memories I have.

i was at that game. great call. remember the stadium going nuts after learning Miami lost earlier in the day.  the stadium was electric and i honestly felt the fans pumped the jets up after seeing the end result of the dolphins game on the big screen

Richard Todd to Jerome Barkum TD against Miami with 7 seconds left in n game and Jets were down 6. Miami had a chance to close it out with a field goal on 4th and 1 with about 1:30 seconds left but Shula decided to go for it and Klecko shot the gap and got the runner behind the line so Jets ball down 6. Bruce Harper made some big plays then Todd to Barkum game winner.  I was right in that end zone. Loudest I ever heard Shea Stadium. Them bleachers were shaking big time. 

47 minutes ago, The Crimson King said:

Mrs. Crimson was reading this over my shoulder and wanted to add her $0.02. Since she was my season ticket partner for over 3 decades, I figure she earned her say 

Back in the Shea days we were surrounding by a lot of great folks in the Mezz. Same people came year after year as there was still a waiting list and no one ever moved seats. One of our favorites was a pair of brothers who brought their wives to every game.  The wives sat together while the brothers sat on their respective flanks having apoplexy yelling at often mediocre teams. The ladies had little to no interest in football but dutifully came weekly and provided nice words and (more importantly) sandwiches to "their boys" in front of them. The first game that I brought the future Mrs, C they drilled her for while before declaring their approval. It actually pleased me and produced a measure of relief. The ladies spent the game having all sorts of conversation, knitting (really) and discussing family and children while seemingly totally oblivious regarding the action on the field or how close their respective husbands were to bursting veins in their heads over the play by our beloved Green and White.

I don't remember the year or details but I do remember the event.  It was late in a close game and Todd went back to pass. The brothers were screaming, the crowd was electric. Walker got open deep, the fans roared as one and Todd … overthrew him. The loudness of the stadium dissolved into some groans and then the dead silence that follows such an event, At that brief moment of silence, all you heard was one of our ladies, both actually knitting at the time, saying " … and you add three pats of butter then bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes, then …"

Doesn't sound like much in print but it was like experiencing a living Norman Rockwell painting at the time.

I can picture it.   I bet that was funny. Thanks for sharing. 

On 12/12/2018 at 9:18 PM, stevie90 said:

Anyone else at this game??? Now this was a great night!!!!

Oct. 17, 1988 ­— Bills 37, Jets 14

The “Pumpkin Game” featured 41 incidents of improper behavior in the stands, 15 arrests and 56 ejections. Fans burned complimentary paper hats in the stands and batted around an inflated pumpkin. This game led to the stadium halting beer sales after halftime during night games.

It was 21-0 halfway through the first quarter and it was the angriest crowd I have ever seen.

I remember a brawl in the stands in the lower lever behind the Bills bench (where Fireman Ed in later years would lead the chant).  It was the only time I ever saw the players on the field stop and watch what was happening in the crowd. It was insane.

The "paper hats" were Jets painters caps. They were the cheesiest things ever. Green but with gigantic red "Chunky Soup" logos on the side. They made better kindling than headwear.  I counted several fires in the upper deck.

"We want the pumpkin!  We want the Pumpkin!"

PS: This recap is wrong.  The game led to the outright banning of all alcohol sales during any night game at any time (Jets or Giants) period.  

10 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

If healthy we could have made it but the Giants were far and away the best team that year and what killed us at Cleveland was Pat Ryan getting hurt, O'Brien was awful late that season and did nothing in the Cleveland game when he had to come in.  The gastineaus penalty was a killer but the D still could have stopped Cleveland.  We had a million opportunities in OT but not with Kenny.

8 hours ago, Nixhead said:

Richard Todd to Jerome Barkum TD against Miami with 7 seconds left in n game and Jets were down 6. Miami had a chance to close it out with a field goal on 4th and 1 with about 1:30 seconds left but Shula decided to go for it and Klecko shot the gap and got the runner behind the line so Jets ball down 6. Bruce Harper made some big plays then Todd to Barkum game winner.  I was right in that end zone. Loudest I ever heard Shea Stadium. Them bleachers were shaking big time. 

That 1981 season is the first I can actually remember as a kid and that Miami game was one of the best.  I posted a link to that game in the classic clips thread.

9 hours ago, CTM said:

We were dominant until week 11. Fell apart losing the last 5 and looked like the season was over only to turn it around with a WC win and a late lead against Cleveland.  We had creamed Denver earlier in the year so Supwr Bowl seemed like a real possibility until f'ing Gastineau

What a heart breaking year 

We did beat up Denver at home earlier but I don't think we go into Mile High and beat them in the title game.

Blair Thomas fumbling against the Bears and then his career going into the toilet.  Oh, wait.  This is a positive memory.  

There are a few like Joe  gesturing "#1" after Supe III.  Or all the bombs Ken O'Brien threw to Walker and Toon.  Guy was a piece of wood mobility wise.  But wow could he throw the deep ball on a dime.  With today's rules protecting the QB, O'Brien would have been incredible.

On 12/13/2018 at 8:10 PM, nyjunc said:

I think keyshawn recovered that fumble, he was incredible that day.  He caught a TD, ran one in, reconnected a fumble and I think had an int on a hail Mary.

That Jax TD before the half gave the stadium an eery "same old Jets" feel but they got a stop and scored a TD to start the 3rd and regained control.

I remember Matt Millen kept referring to the Jags as "the thing that wouldn't die".

2 hours ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

I think I celebrated the hardest after the "Flashlight" win vs Tampa.

That or maybe the Monday Night Miracle and the playoff win in Foxboro. 

The win at Foxboro was probably our best win but I really enjoyed the playoff win with the Sanchize at San Diego.  It was such a hard fought game and we prevailed.  I loved when Shonn Greene ran over Eric Weddle for a long TD run.

But beating Jax and facing Denver in the AFC title game was probably the best because I had the most hope we'd win a Superbowl that year.

Archived