Whats your favorite memory as a Jets fan?

VinnyT16

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

The 1998 season. Almost everything about that year. Lived in Boston. Was bartending, was still in my 20s, had great friends and watched a great season in a fun town.... Great memories all thw way till the third quarter in Denver (watched that game in Dublin). Broke up with my then fiance shortly after.

1999 sucked for me.

You glad now that you're not with her?

I'm 36 and it's easily beating the Pats in the 2010 playoffs!

Next would be when we won the Division in 02 cause it was on my 20th birthday and we started off 1-4/2-5 and came back out of no where to win it

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

In the preseason of 1971, just one year after two straight division titles and expectation of returning to that success, Namath tried to tackle an interceptor making a return and hurt his knee. He was out for 10 games as the season went poorly with the team going 4-6. Namath's replacements were awful and when Al Woodall got hurt the Jets were forced to start Bob Davis, an Oiler retread with a 40% completion pct., for 7 games.

For the Sunday after Thanksgiving (game 11), Namath was activated but did not start. Davis did and was as bad as always. Then he got hurt and was down. Namath got up to warm up and the denizens of Shea started to stir. The applause got louder and louder and louder until Namath came onto the field. The place exploded. I have never seen Jets fans louder and more pumped up before or since. The club was down when Namath came in.  He threw for 3 TD's and over 250 yds and each throw was cheered as though the Jets won another championship. They did lose in a close game but even in a losing cause, it was by far the most voracious crowd I have ever seen with the exception of a couple of October baseball games in late Oct' 86

The moment seems lost in Jets history, but those of us there that day understand it as one of the greatest chapters in the story of the New York Jets

4 hours ago, TeddEY said:

Mark Sanchez literally ruined Thanksgiving that year.

The funny thing is, the buttfumble itself didn't actually bother me, because the game was already such a sh*t show up to that point. It was basically just the whip cream topping on the awful pie that the Jets were serving to us that game--nay, the entire season.

All I could do was laugh at that point.

Halftime '98 AFC championship. Was at Jets fanclub bar in Raleigh, NC. Vikings had been stunned earlier that day by Atlanta and we were leading going into the locker room. Went outside to the parking lot and we threw the pigskin around. The atmosphere was incredible... we were on our way to the Super Bowl and were probably going to win it all!!!

Ironic that my best memory and the worst (Vinny tearing Achilles in home opener just 8 months later) were so close together considering I've rooted for this team for almost 40 years now.

Football: Super Bowl win. Beating the Pats in 2010

Personal: Joe attending a block party we had in 1974?  and playing catch with me and some of the other kids.  Joe "tried" to throw a football the entire length of the block, obviously well short but went a REALLY long way. All the housewives making such fools of themselves fawning over him that it was obvious to me and my other 8 or 9 year old friends. "Why do all the moms like Joe so much like we do, they don't seem to watch much football"

8 hours ago, RobR said:

For me it was the green lantern game down in Tampa, probably because I was there. Keyshawn had just been traded that season and they even photoshopped his head onto the game tickets. 

It was a complete monsoon just before kickoff, one of the worst storms I've ever seen and they wouldn't allow us to get to our seats until just before kickoff because rivers were flowing down the aisles. 

And then CuMar shaked off that glove.

My Dad and brother were at that game.  My brothers friend, a Buc's fan and STH... may he rest in peace... said that was the most miserable drive home from a game ever.  Soaking wet after a crushing loss.

My Dad and brother said it was awesome, of course.

9 hours ago, Beerfish said:

I have not been around as long as most of you.  Beating the Pats in the playoffs after they killed us 45-3 or something in the previous meeting.  I still cannot believe David Harris did not score on that interception.  He broke the laws of physics on that one.

David Harris was slow as hell lol. But that drive had me shook up. We had just went three and out and Brady was driving up the field with ease. They got inside our 30-20 and I’m like maaan here we go...all of a sudden Harris does the impossible and takes it the other way. What a feeling.

We stayed on top all day after that. 

I've been a Jets fan since the Shea Stadium days and have been going to games since the mid 70's and the sad state of affairs is that instead of countless awesome memories of playoff and Super Bowl victories to choose from, my fondest memory is a regular season game - My father and I were at the 1986 Ken Obrien / Dan Marino 51-45 shootout game and it was glorious!  

A close second is the 28-21 playoff win against the Patriots in 2010.  Still aggravated at myself for not trekking to Foxboro to see it live.

5 hours ago, RoadFan said:

My Dad and brother were at that game.  My brothers friend, a Buc's fan and STH... may he rest in peace... said that was the most miserable drive home from a game ever.  Soaking wet after a crushing loss.

My Dad and brother said it was awesome, of course.

Before the game I think everyone that was tailgating thought a tornado was gonna touch down. I remember the sky turning green and all we could do was hold onto the tent we were under so it didn't blow away. Great times.

Most of them were from when I was a kid

but for a recent one, it would have to be the charger playoff game in 09’, shonn greene or Lamont Jordan, can’t remember which one, broke that run to seal the game and send us to the championship game

never been more shocked in a good way by the Jets

my first game opening day 1978

my old man took me and my bro on the spur of the moment only to find that it was sold out..   i was almost sick when i found out...

my old man got scalped tix ( i never knew what that was til that moment)

that swing from almost vomiting in disappointment to utter joy....

and then ... Todd to Walker and a win vs the phukking Phins

12 hours ago, The Crimson King said:

In the preseason of 1971, just one year after two straight division titles and expectation of returning to that success, Namath tried to tackle an interceptor making a return and hurt his knee. He was out for 10 games as the season went poorly with the team going 4-6. Namath's replacements were awful and when Al Woodall got hurt the Jets were forced to start Bob Davis, an Oiler retread with a 40% completion pct., for 7 games.

For the Sunday after Thanksgiving (game 11), Namath was activated but did not start. Davis did and was as bad as always. Then he got hurt and was down. Namath got up to warm up and the denizens of Shea started to stir. The applause got louder and louder and louder until Namath came onto the field. The place exploded. I have never seen Jets fans louder and more pumped up before or since. The club was down when Namath came in.  He threw for 3 TD's and over 250 yds and each throw was cheered as though the Jets won another championship. They did lose in a close game but even in a losing cause, it was by far the most voracious crowd I have ever seen with the exception of a couple of October baseball games in late Oct' 86

The moment seems lost in Jets history, but those of us there that day understand it as one of the greatest chapters in the story of the New York Jets

If anyone wants to relive it

Mine is a tie between 2:

I don't make it to many games.  I have maybe been to 6 total.  I was lucky enough to be at the game against Dallas on the 10th anniversary of 9/11.  That was one special day there, and that deafening noise of the stadium on the block, and then Revi$' Interception were some of the loudest reactions I've ever witnessed.

The other had to be my first time going to Jets camp in 09 at Hofstra, when Feely gave a little kid(maybe like 5-6 years old) his jersey, actual football signed by him(and he went over to Sanchez, Jones, Revis, and a few other premier players to get him their signatures before giving him the ball), wristbands, hat, and finally his cleats.  He walked back to their building barefoot.  One of the kindest gestures I have ever witnessed from a pro athlete.  For better or worse that kid is probably a fan for life, and hes probably old enough to be cursing this team out now.

12 hours ago, jgb said:

Halftime '98 AFC championship. Was at Jets fanclub bar in Raleigh, NC. Vikings had been stunned earlier that day by Atlanta and we were leading going into the locker room. Went outside to the parking lot and we threw the pigskin around. The atmosphere was incredible... we were on our way to the Super Bowl and were probably going to win it all!!!

Ironic that my best memory and the worst (Vinny tearing Achilles in home opener just 8 months later) were so close together considering I've rooted for this team for almost 40 years now.

My father and I were two of only a few thousand Jets fans at Old Mile High for the AFCCG... place was pretty quiet at halftime. 

10 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

My father and I were two of only a few thousand Jets fans at Old Mile High for the AFCCG... place was pretty quiet at halftime. 

That must have been crazy seeing that opening kickoff getting pushed by the wind back towards the Broncos players. Damndest thing I've ever seen in NFL football on a kickoff. Changed the complexion of the game. So weird. 

Either halftime in the '98 AFCC or beating the Pats in the 2010 playoffs. Probably the latter. That felt like one of those wins that was proof the team was on some sort of magical run. I was really convinced it was finally our year after that. The way the entire franchise came crashing down immediately after, coupled with the Mets doing essentially the same thing from the 2015 Series and on, has led to me giving absolutely no ****s about any of this anymore. Also during that span, the Knicks having a complete JR Smith-led meltdown in the NBA playoffs when they were clearly on their way to at least the conference finals didn't help much either.

Don't get me wrong, I still tune in, analyze things, and have fun with it, but that 4 year span completely changed me as a sports fan.

Also, Jetsinsider

2 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Either halftime in the '98 AFCC or beating the Pats in the 2010 playoffs. Probably the latter. That felt like one of those wins that was proof the team was on some sort of magical run. I was really convinced it was finally our year after that. The way the entire franchise came crashing down immediately after, coupled with the Mets doing essentially the same thing from the 2015 Series and on, has led to me giving absolutely no ****s about any of this anymore. Also during that span, the Knicks having a complete JR Smith-led meltdown in the NBA playoffs when they were clearly on their way to at least the conference finals didn't help much either.

Don't get me wrong, I still tune in, analyze things, and have fun with it, but that 4 year span completely changed me as a sports fan.

I thought you were gonna say Jetsinsider.

13 hours ago, The Crimson King said:

I don't remember bob Davis.  Just terrible Al Woodal

Driving up to Foxboro to see the Division Playoff win.  Watching the 1998 Jacksonville Division game in person.  Seeing the '02 GB game to clinch, then the following week shutting out Peyton Manning 41-0. Last game in Giants Stadium beating the Bengals, probably the coldest Jets game I've been to.  Smoking Dope and seeing women flash their breasts at Gate D.  

The home opener in the early 1990's vs Denver when Dennis Byrd walked out of the tunnel to meet the team. I still get emotional to this day just thinking about it. A stadium of 80,000 people going crazy, all with tears streaming down our cheeks. Those of you who were there know exactly what I'm talking about.

Archived