Whats your favorite memory as a Jets fan?

VinnyT16

1 hour ago, Obrien2Toon said:

Most of them were from when I was a kid

but for a recent one, it would have to be the charger playoff game in 09’, shonn greene or Lamont Jordan, can’t remember which one, broke that run to seal the game and send us to the championship game

never been more shocked in a good way by the Jets

I got up from my chair screaming when he broke free. Such a great memory. I don’t know why, maybe because I always felt Sanchez was a pick six away from disaster, but that playoff run was phenomenal, edge of your seat stuff. Lots of great memories rekindled in this thread. I’m starting to think @The Crimson King Is a brother from another mother, lol. Every time he posts about something from the past, I feel like we’re living in a parallel universe. He’s done it quite a few times, not just this thread.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, section314 said:

The home opener in the early 1990's vs Denver when Dennis Byrd walked out of the tunnel to meet the team. I still get emotional to this day just thinking about it. A stadium of 80,000 people going crazy, all with tears streaming down our cheeks. Those of you who were there know exactly what I'm talking about.

1993 vs Denver, an amazing moment.  I remember watching the cart take Byrd off the field vs KC the season before.  The next play started before he was off the field but I couldn't take me eyes off him as i hadn't seen him move and ever since Mike Utley in 1991 I always watched for movement in injured players.

Wild Card playoff in Indy in 2010.  Drove down to Indy for that one with my son.  Went out to local BWW near Lucas Oil Stadium before the game.  2 of us seated at a table for 6 or 8.  Hostess asked if we minded if they sat other Jet fans with us.  Pretty soon we had a couple dozen Jet fans at and around our table.  Had a blast.  And then once we got inside the stadium it was even better.  Defense with a stop to force the FG with a minute left.  Cromartie's kick return.  Caldwell calling the timeout.  Sanchez hitting Braylon to get into the red zone.  Folk kicking the game winner, being on the road for a dramatic playoff win, and spending the weekend with my son.  Could not have been much better.

We tried to do it all over again two weeks later for the Championship Game in Pittsburgh.  That memory is not quite as good as the one from Indy.

1 hour ago, Jetster said:

That must have been crazy seeing that opening kickoff getting pushed by the wind back towards the Broncos players. Damndest thing I've ever seen in NFL football on a kickoff. Changed the complexion of the game. So weird. 

The kickoff wasn't the opening KO of the second half.  It was the KO after Denver scored to cut our lead to 10-7 in the 3rd.  We held them to a fg.

The turning point in that game was right after we scored to make it 10-0 in the 3rd, the second play from scrimmage elway hit McCaffrey on a bomb and the game changed from there.  Another belichick defensive choke

The two greatest games I have ever attended were the 2002 finale vs GB.  What a crazy rollercoaster of emotions needing Cleveland or Miami to lose and looking like Cleveland could lost but they won then looking like Miami would win then seeing the vinatieri kick beat Miami and the Jets dominate the Packers from there.

The other was at NE in the 2010 playoffs.  No explanation really needed, this was the greatest win in team history that didn't take place in the 1968 season.

But my favorite game of all time was when I was around 8 years old and my dad took me to my first game vs buffalo at Shea in 1983.  I have vivid memories and they have grown more special since I lost my Dad.  

going to games at Shea with my Grandfather.  In the good weather, we'd walk from Yellowstone Blvd & 62nd thru the park.  His taking me to the games as a boy is why I am a Jets fan and why I am here.  He meant well.  Don't blame him.

1 hour ago, peebag said:

If anyone wants to relive it

Watching that game was both exhilirating and frustrating at the same time. Let me offer some KRL type observations, because that was my era of watching football, and I loved the jets and 49ers too..

1. We see how their superbowl defense (they had won the superbowl a few years earlier) was still intact, and still quite good, and we still had the great Emerson Boozer, and Riggins who was the new Matt Snell,only faster plus Caster, Maynard, Bell -- so how did we not come close to repeating  if we had a superbowl caliber defense and great offensive players? Because Namath kept getting hurt, and we dept trotting out BobDavis and Al Woodall, who stunk. It was a tremendous waste of potentially great seasons

2. Riggins is in his first year here- can't you see what a force he is? Look how big and strong, he was also fast. The greatest memory for me was watching him turn upfield after catching a screen pass or flair. he was the best. This memory of Riggins turning up field is my favorite JET memory, to answer this thread.

3. The 49ers had two very cool corners in Bruce Taylor and Jimmy Johnson. Bruce Taylor was the brother of Net guard Brian Taylor, who was traded for Nate ARchibald... How's that for a cool family. Bruce was getting burned here, but he was an impact guy, also returned punts.

4. 49ers had Vic Washington and receiver Gene Washington. There was also a receiver named Gene Washington on the Minnesota Vikings at the time, and they were both very good. How confusing.

5. Notice the humility of players when Richard Caster scored his touchdown

6 Notice how Cedric Hardman (he was a beast) didn't get a roughing the passer on Namath. Was a different era

21 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

The kickoff wasn't the opening KO of the second half.  It was the KO after Denver scored to cut our lead to 10-7 in the 3rd.  We held them to a fg.

The turning point in that game was right after we scored to make it 10-0 in the 3rd, the second play from scrimmage elway hit McCaffrey on a bomb and the game changed from there.  Another belichick defensive choke

I think the Byers fumble while we were rolling early was pretty devastating too.

5 minutes ago, roscoeword said:

Watching that game was both exhilirating and frustrating at the same time. Let me offer some KRL type observations, because that was my era of watching football, and I loved the jets and 49ers too..

1. We see how their superbowl defense (they had won the superbowl a few years earlier) was still intact, and still quite good, and we still had the great Emerson Boozer, and Riggins who was the new Matt Snell,only faster plus Caster, Maynard, Bell -- so how did we not come close to repeating  if we had a superbowl caliber defense and great offensive players? Because Namath kept getting hurt, and we dept trotting out BobDavis and Al Woodall, who stunk. It was a tremendous waste of potentially great seasons

2. Riggins is in his first year here- can't you see what a force he is? Look how big and strong, he was also fast. The greatest memory for me was watching him turn upfield after catching a screen pass or flair. he was the best. This memory of Riggins turning up field is my favorite JET memory, to answer this thread.

3. The 49ers had two very cool corners in Bruce Taylor and Jimmy Johnson. Bruce Taylor was the brother of Net guard Brian Taylor, who was traded for Nate ARchibald... How's that for a cool family. Bruce was getting burned here, but he was an impact guy, also returned punts.

4. 49ers had Vic Washington and receiver Gene Washington. There was also a receiver named Gene Washington on the Minnesota Vikings at the time, and they were both very good. How confusing.

5. Notice the humility of players when Richard Caster scored his touchdown

6 Notice how Cedric Hardman (he was a beast) didn't get a roughing the passer on Namath. Was a different era

Hardman and Tommy Hart were beasts.

1 hour ago, Jetster said:

That must have been crazy seeing that opening kickoff getting pushed by the wind back towards the Broncos players. Damndest thing I've ever seen in NFL football on a kickoff. Changed the complexion of the game. So weird. 

TBH, long time ago... I think I recall my initial thought was it was some kind of mis-hit or pooch kick.  I might have been distracted by the putz behind me throwing peanuts at me periodically during the game because I was sporting a Chrebet jersey.   After the game, I returned to the  frat house to find my room waste deep in orange and blue balloons.  I attended Colorado State University.

I actually attended two Jet games at Old Mile High.  The other was Neil O'Donnell's first game with Kotite on opening day 1996.  Broncos 31- Jets 6.

38 minutes ago, Jetster said:

I think the Byers fumble while we were rolling early was pretty devastating too.

We had so many turnovers that game, the byars one was probably the biggest.

It's been 20 years but that game still irritates me.  We gave that game away and we would have won that SB.  In 2009 & 2010 even had we won those title games we may not have won the SB but we would have won in 1998.

14 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

We had so many turnovers that game, the byars one was probably the biggest.

It's been 20 years but that game still irritates me.  We gave that game away and we would have won that SB.  In 2009 & 2010 even had we won those title games we may not have won the SB but we would have won in 1998.

i can't say that game irritates me because the broncos had a heck of a team.  the jets kind of ran out of gas and couldn't hold the lead.  of course the expectations for the next season were very high and who knows if vinny doesn't rupture his achilles.

I was in 6th grade in 1998 when my parents brought me to Ralph Wilson Stadium in Buffalo to watch the Vinny-led Jets beat the Flutie-led Bills, 17-10. I still have the Chrebet Jersey I wore that day somewhere...

Oh, and wildcard choice? The first two games of 2009. The home opener was great, but watching the Jets smack the Texans in the mouth seemed like a statement for years to come. I'll never forget Kris Jenkins throwing down that 300 pound center with just one arm...

19 minutes ago, GhostOfGlennFoley said:

I was in 6th grade in 1998 when my parents brought me to Ralph Wilson Stadium in Buffalo to watch the Vinny-led Jets beat the Flutie-led Bills, 17-10. I still have the Chrebet Jersey I wore that day somewhere...

Oh, and wildcard choice? The first two games of 2009. The home opener was great, but watching the Jets smack the Texans in the mouth seemed like a statement for years to come. I'll never forget Kris Jenkins throwing down that 300 pound center with just one arm...

I was at that bills game too, we clinched our first every AFC East title that day.  That was a great day especially after all the years of losing.  I was also at miami 6 days earlier for that huge Sunday night game when we beat the dolphins to clinch a playoff berth.  Miami fans were not known for being loud but that night they were and it may have been the loudest crowd I have ever experienced even though there are at least 30% Jet fans there.

29 minutes ago, rangerous said:

monday night miracle.  the look on the dolfins' players faces was priceless.

The Monday night miracle was obviously great but knowing how we choked away that season always takes something away from that game for me.

27 minutes ago, rangerous said:

i can't say that game irritates me because the broncos had a heck of a team.  the jets kind of ran out of gas and couldn't hold the lead.  of course the expectations for the next season were very high and who knows if vinny doesn't rupture his achilles.

Denver was great but we outplayed them most of that game, we should have won.

Supe III.  Joe is the reason I became a fan.

Close second.  My first game at Shea Stadium.  I was 22 and sitting in the lower level.  The upper deck end zones did the dueling Jets chant and I got chills. I cheered as hard as I could.  The next day I was on the waiting list for season tickets. 

We were a passionate fan base before Woody priced us out. 

I only had to wait one year - the Jets were finishing up 3 consecutive 3 win seasons.   I got 'em in '78 and the team got good real quick.

9 minutes ago, afjetsfan said:

That was the game that made me a Jets fan.  I liked them before the game, but it was this very game that made me a fan for life.

Same. I had extra juice cause my parents had gotten divorced the year before and my moms new douche boyfriend was a Dolphins fan. We watched the game together 

22 hours ago, stevie90 said:

Been around along time & seen lots of both good & bad from our Jets. But I have to say the best memory I have & the best time I had was 1998/1999. Specifically Jan 10, 1999 AFC Divisional Playoff, Jets vs Jags.  Jets won behind Vinny T & the feeling at the Meadowlands was electric!!!! For the time being we thought for sure we were going all the way......until....well...Elway got in the way. That was a fun ride!!!

That's mine but I wasn't lucky enough to be there 

The double fumble play allowed the Jets to have the ball for 10 minutes on one drive and leaving the jags 30 seconds before the half..... And they score! 

Crazy awesome game 

33 minutes ago, Larz said:

That's mine but I wasn't lucky enough to be there 

The double fumble play allowed the Jets to have the ball for 10 minutes on one drive and leaving the jags 30 seconds before the half..... And they score! 

Crazy awesome game 

I think keyshawn recovered that fumble, he was incredible that day.  He caught a TD, ran one in, reconnected a fumble and I think had an int on a hail Mary.

That Jax TD before the half gave the stadium an eery "same old Jets" feel but they got a stop and scored a TD to start the 3rd and regained control.

12 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

David Harris was slow as hell lol. But that drive had me shook up. We had just went three and out and Brady was driving up the field with ease. They got inside our 30-20 and I’m like maaan here we go...all of a sudden Harris does the impossible and takes it the other way. What a feeling.

We stayed on top all day after that. 

How David Harris didn’t score blows me away.

2 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

I think keyshawn recovered that fumble, he was incredible that day.  He caught a TD, ran one in, reconnected a fumble and I think had an int on a hail Mary.

That Jax TD before the half gave the stadium an eery "same old Jets" feel but they got a stop and scored a TD to start the 3rd and regained control.

No doubt! 

That was something else having the bye and a home game! 

1 hour ago, CTM said:

Same. I had extra juice cause my parents had gotten divorced the year before and my moms new douche boyfriend was a Dolphins fan. We watched the game together 

Tough deal for you to have to go through all that Bullsh*t.  At least the Jets came through for us that day BIG TIME!  To this day, that is my favorite Jets roster.

2 hours ago, afjetsfan said:

Tough deal for you to have to go through all that Bullsh*t.  At least the Jets came through for us that day BIG TIME!  To this day, that is my favorite Jets roster.

Yep, I mean outside of the years of ineptitude and losing that followed that 86 team will always have a special place in my heart, particularly Obrien. Walker and Toon  My little kid brain interpreted that win as my win against this intruder in my house.

Most of my family are Giants fans, and I followed them to the Yankees so fair chance I wouldve landed there. The fact that the Giants won the SB that very year should've been a sign, but I was hooked 

im 33 so its beating the pats in foxboro in 2010.  it sucks there are so many bad memories then good. honorable mentions: beating jax in 1998, beating the colts in 2010, beating the chargers in 09, the cherbet revenge game where martin threw him the winning td, beating the pats in week 16 in 2015, and farve beating brady in a shootout in foxboro.  oh and i guess the whole geno smith getting his jaw broken fiasco was hilarious 

Archived