John Harbaugh potentially available?

slats

PFT suggesting he might not sign his extension, might be available via trade: 

King: “Real chance” John Harbaugh doesn’t sign extension in Baltimore

Posted by Mike Florio on December 25, 2018, 12:37 AM EST

GettyImages-1038540338-e1545688910183.jp
Getty Images

That Friday night announcement from the Ravens seemed to secure the future of coach John Harbaugh in Baltimore, but he’ll remain under contract beyond 2019 only if the two sides work out a new contract. And maybe they won’t.

Peter King writes in his latest Football Morning in America column that a “real chance” exists Harbaugh won’t sign an extension, opting instead to finish his current deal and leave in 2020.

Coaches rarely do that, opting instead for the bird in the hand that comes from both getting paid and, perhaps more importantly, remaining an NFL head coach without taking the risk of finding himself without a place to sit when the annual calliope quits playing. But maybe Harbaugh, who emerged as the hottest name on this year’s market weeks before the market even opened, realizes that he’ll have options in 2020, possibly for much more money and more power than Baltimore will provide.

Whether Harbaugh would walk or not, the notion that he could provides a strong counterweight to the message that was received by the league at large from the team’s out-of-the-blue proclamation/admonition that he’s under contract through 2019. If/when (when) teams like the Dolphins or maybe the Broncos call the Ravens inquiring about Harbaugh and when the Ravens want way too much compensation for him as an opener, the fact that the Ravens have him under contract for only one year and he’ll leave as a free agent with no compensation at all could get them to take what they can get before the distractions of a lame-duck season that results in them getting nothing.

The Ravens are regraded as a “very smart group,” likely smart enough to not overplay their hand. Smart enough to know that Harbaugh a year from now will have the kind of demand for his services that would make him happily coach out his contract and then do what no coach ever does: Become a true free agent.

10 minutes ago, Jetster said:

What would it take in draft picks? Remember, Sam is 21 years old. Imagine Harbaugh under a 5 year contract while Brady & Belichick start getting fittted for depends.

I don't know. Jets got a first round pick for Belichick and a fourth round pick for Herm. Trades for coaches don't happen often enough to really gauge the market. 

How about this for some hypothetical Machiavellian sh*t: 

1. Have Heimerdinger (or the like) contact Jim Harbaugh (or his agent) and offer the moon—money, control; make a full sales pitch about how the owners have seen the errors of their ways and are looking for a new coach to guide them into the future with Darnold, draft picks, and $100 mil. Float the idea of Gruden money to him...

2. ...Knowing full well that Jim can’t really leave Michigan, especially with a five-star QB ready to start for him there and with Urban leaving, BUT...

3. ...Ending the conversation by asking Jim Harbaugh if he knows of any coaches who might become available that would be interested in such an offer. 

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

1. Have Heimerdinger (or the like) contact Jim Harbaugh (or his agent) and offer the moon—money, control; make a full sales pitch about how the owners have seen the errors of their ways and are looking for a new coach to guide them into the future with Darnold, draft picks, and $100 mil. Float the idea of Gruden money to him...

2. ...Knowing full well that Jim can’t really leave Michigan, especially with a five-star QB ready to start for him there and with Urban leaving, BUT...

3. ...Ending the conversation by asking Jim Harbaugh if he knows of any coaches who might become available that would be interested in such an offer. 

I actually legitimately like this idea, though I'd skip step 4.  :)

This would be a great Christmas gift and here comes a totally hypothetical. In the event Harbough will not sign an extension and no team trades for him would you be willing to hold onto Bowles for one more year if you were guaranteed Harbough? How many picks would you be willing to give? 

He's by far my #1 choice but I think there will be a team willing to trade a 2nd for him, I'm not sure how we'd be able to compete with that. I think the whole "Big Game Fishing" line was meant to catch the attention of Harbough. (Both)

1 hour ago, bla bla bla said:

This would be a great Christmas gift and here comes a totally hypothetical. In the event Harbough will not sign an extension and no team trades for him would you be willing to hold onto Bowles for one more year if you were guaranteed Harbough? How many picks would you be willing to give? 

He's by far my #1 choice but I think there will be a team willing to trade a 2nd for him, I'm not sure how we'd be able to compete with that. I think the whole "Big Game Fishing" line was meant to catch the attention of Harbough. (Both)

I would trade a future #2 for him (since we don't have a #2 this year).  

With our luck, though, he'll end up in Miami.

53 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Machiavellian? Why go through the exercise? Chris Johnson should say this publicly on the podium after next week’s game (at the latest). No need for hiding anything; every candidate will get that message loud and clear without the need to specifically contact him directly (or indirectly).

Besides, it’s easy enough to create any extra degree(s) of separation without leaving a trail of breadcrumbs on phone records like Hess/Parcells did. No harm in doing so directly with his brother, but it’s not hard for both brothers to get that message.

How hard is it to leak to a big name HC that the Jets would make him a crazy offer, after all the leaks that the Jets are looking to go big?

The problem is they’ve been leaking that they want to go big at HC, yet have also been leaking that they’ll saddle each candidate with keeping the "Demonstrably Horrible” GM.  What’s the opposite of Machiavellian? Johnsonian?

J!

2 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Machiavellian? Why go through the exercise? Chris Johnson should say this publicly on the podium after next week’s game (at the latest). No need for hiding anything; every candidate will get that message loud and clear without the need to specifically contact him directly (or indirectly).

Besides, it’s easy enough to create any extra degree(s) of separation without leaving a trail of breadcrumbs on phone records like Hess/Parcells did. No harm in doing so directly with his brother, but it’s not hard for both brothers to get that message.

How hard is it to leak to a big name HC that the Jets would make him a crazy offer, after all the leaks that the Jets are looking to go big?

The problem is they’ve been leaking that they want to go big at HC, yet have also been leaking that they’ll saddle each candidate with keeping the "Demonstrably Horrible” GM.  What’s the opposite of Machiavellian? Johnsonian?

J!

Because it’s tampering to offer someone else’s head coach your head coaching job. Plus, it’s more fun to use subterfuge because you get to see the looks on people’s faces when you realize your master plan has worked and you get to do the Dr Evil laugh.

2 hours ago, slats said:

PFT suggesting he might not sign his extension, might be available via trade: 

King: “Real chance” John Harbaugh doesn’t sign extension in Baltimore

Posted by Mike Florio on December 25, 2018, 12:37 AM EST

GettyImages-1038540338-e1545688910183.jp
Getty Images

That Friday night announcement from the Ravens seemed to secure the future of coach John Harbaugh in Baltimore, but he’ll remain under contract beyond 2019 only if the two sides work out a new contract. And maybe they won’t.

Peter King writes in his latest Football Morning in America column that a “real chance” exists Harbaugh won’t sign an extension, opting instead to finish his current deal and leave in 2020.

Coaches rarely do that, opting instead for the bird in the hand that comes from both getting paid and, perhaps more importantly, remaining an NFL head coach without taking the risk of finding himself without a place to sit when the annual calliope quits playing. But maybe Harbaugh, who emerged as the hottest name on this year’s market weeks before the market even opened, realizes that he’ll have options in 2020, possibly for much more money and more power than Baltimore will provide.

Whether Harbaugh would walk or not, the notion that he could provides a strong counterweight to the message that was received by the league at large from the team’s out-of-the-blue proclamation/admonition that he’s under contract through 2019. If/when (when) teams like the Dolphins or maybe the Broncos call the Ravens inquiring about Harbaugh and when the Ravens want way too much compensation for him as an opener, the fact that the Ravens have him under contract for only one year and he’ll leave as a free agent with no compensation at all could get them to take what they can get before the distractions of a lame-duck season that results in them getting nothing.

The Ravens are regraded as a “very smart group,” likely smart enough to not overplay their hand. Smart enough to know that Harbaugh a year from now will have the kind of demand for his services that would make him happily coach out his contract and then do what no coach ever does: Become a true free agent.

Good, he should say f*ck you to them after all the firing rumors. They can keep their 1 dimensional and sign Todd Bowles.

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Because it’s tampering to offer someone else’s head coach your head coaching job. Plus, it’s more fun to use subterfuge because you get to see the looks on people’s faces when you realize your master plan has worked and you get to do the Dr Evil laugh.

Making an announcement isn’t making an offer to anyone. 

If CJ said something like, “For the right candidate we’d be willing to give a very long deal plus full roster control including veto power over FAs and draft picks.”

For all I care he can say just that because it seems the team is not searching for a new GM.

That isn’t tampering. It’s only tampering if he’s targeting someone specific who is currently under contract with another team.

5 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Making an announcement isn’t making an offer to anyone. 

If CJ said something like, “For the right candidate we’d be willing to give a very long deal plus full roster control including veto power over FAs and draft picks.”

For all I care he can say just that because it seems the team is not searching for a new GM.

That isn’t tampering. It’s only tampering if he’s targeting someone specific who is currently under contract with another team.

That would be, in effect, publicly firing Mike Maccagnan. Which is deserved and would be fun, but they should just go ahead and fire Maccagnan.

9 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

That would be, in effect, publicly firing Mike Maccagnan. Which is deserved and would be fun, but they should just go ahead and fire Maccagnan.

Of course it would be either firing or wink-wink demoting Maccagnan. Wink-wink as in fire him after suggesting he might stick as head scout a la Bradway.

Or just rip off like a J&J Band-Aid and be done with it. Never mind Heimerdinger would have been an easy transitional guy to keep the seat warm over these weeks. 

Jim or John not happening..  Hopefully no McCarthy..

At the end of the day it will be Macc man hiring the coach of his choice and continuing to steer this ship into sustained prosperity.

In 5 years you guys will still be complaining that while Macc may have drafted 2 HOF players in 17' and 18', he didn't do it "the right way".

15 minutes ago, Pac said:

At the end of the day it will be Macc man hiring the coach of his choice and continuing to steer this ship into sustained prosperity.

In 5 years you guys will still be complaining that while Macc may have drafted 2 HOF players in 17' and 18', he didn't do it "the right way".

oh hell ya

I like John Harbaugh but I get nauseous at the idea of trading draft picks for a coach.  It just doesn't really sit right for me....even if he's potentially worth it.

And, let's think about how this would have to transpire.  Harbaugh might want to come to the NYJ but he'd likely want a lot of control or to be able to bring/recommend his own GM.  So....how does Maccagnan negotiate a trade with Baltimore for a guy that might replace him???

36 minutes ago, Pac said:

Already got three hot take columns filed away in the tank explaining how Macccc had nothing to do with our 2019, 2020, 2021, and 2022 championship runs.

4 hours ago, T0mShane said:

On the one hand, he’s probably squeezing them for some more money. On the other hand, I’m not sure I’d want to pin my coaching future on turning Lamar Jackson into a long-term answer at QB, despite success in the short sample. 

Personally, I think this is a negotiating tactic...but the conspiracy theorist in me wonders if he's heard what we're willing to do for his brother and wants to force his way into that "mutual split".

3 hours ago, T0mShane said:

No it isn't. If it were 2 pro teams, yes. 

Edit: Wrong Harbaugh.

13 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I'd trade a 3rd rounder for him and I'd give him a big 5 year contract (does 12M per sound reasonable?)  I'd also let him pick his GM (or be GM if that's what he wanted). 

I wouldnt sign the guy at all. Now if we can land Ozzie to run the ship, sign me up. NO RETREADS

Archived