If Jets sign Le'Veon Bell would they trade for Antonio Brown?

playtowinthegame

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

The core of that team was homegrown products.  Revis, Mangold, Ferguson. 

As EY pointed out, you have to have an established core.  You cannot create that with mercenaries. 

Sam Darnold,Chris Herndon,Elijah McGuire,Robbie Anderson,Quincy Enunwa,Deontay Burnett,Jamal Adams,Marcus Maye,Darron Lee,Henry Anderson,Leonard Williams,Lachlan Edward, jason Myers im sure I missed a few others. 

The draft is not our friend we need to acquire proven NFL players adding them to the decent draft picks we have on the roster already. 

2 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Sam Darnold,Chris Herndon,Elijah McGuire,Robbie Anderson,Quincy Enunwa,Deontay Burnett,Jamal Adams,Marcus Maye,Darron Lee,Henry Anderson,Leonard Williams,Lachlan Edward, jason Myers im sure I missed a few others. 

The draft is not our friend we need to acquire proven NFL players adding them to the decent draft picks we have on the roster already.  

That's just a list of players.  Outside of Darnold and maybe Adams, that's not a "core". 

It doesn't matter if the draft is our friend or not.  We can't use Free Agency as a means of replacing the draft, or compensating for having bad drafts previously. 

We should only be spending enough to get some of the types of players I listed earlier, and if we don't spend it all, that's fine. 

1 hour ago, playtowinthegame said:

Say it works. Do you think Darnold would have a 2nd year similar to Patrick Mahomes?

That would be a sick 2nd year - tough to achieve that but I would think he would have a 4,000 yard season (assuming we upgrade the line some) and this is a playoff team.

5 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Better GM than Macc.

@Paradis

8 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

Lol.  I was thinking of the poster.

Truthfully,  Matt's long been on my sh*tlist... that bonehead doesn't even know how to say his own last name properly. At first, i thought the announcers got it wrong (cause most ppl do) -- but then after a while i realized it must be the way Matt is telling them to enunciate it.  #CurseYouMatt

....I'd probably buy his jersey though if we signed him ??

11 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

See above, but: Build the foundation first.  Then the trinkets can come.  What we need is a line to protect Darnold and to be able to run the football.  We have Enunwa and Anderson who are solid football players.  Draft a potential #1 WR this year or next.  Same goes for RB.  If possible, trade down in the 1st to gain a 2nd round pick, and then use those picks for WR and RB.  If not, take the hopefully stud pass rusher available.

That's all well and good except three things...

1) Drafting all of these top tier players isn't that easy - a lot of hope involved.  We need to get Darnold weapons now.

2) It's an impact player league - of which we have none

3) See #2 - We have no one to pay.  We're not going to sit on cap space, you go out and sign the best players you can.    If Bell is the top free agent on the market then you pay Bell him what it takes.

8 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

That's just a list of players.  Outside of Darnold and maybe Adams, that's not a "core". 

It doesn't matter if the draft is our friend or not.  We can't use Free Agency as a means of replacing the draft, or compensating for having bad drafts previously. 

We should only be spending enough to get some of the types of players I listed earlier, and if we don't spend it all, that's fine. 

I agree but because of bad drafting we are where we are today. With $106 million + in salary cap I fully expect the roster to be vastly improved to make this team competitive in 2019 and beyond. 

12 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

That's all well and good except three things...

1) Drafting all of these top tier players isn't that easy - a lot of hope involved.  We need to get Darnold weapons now.

2) It's an impact player league - of which we have none

3) See #2 - We have no one to pay.  We're not going to sit on cap space, you go out and sign the best players you can.    If Bell is the top free agent on the market then you pay Bell him what it takes. 

Why are the only options Bell, other Tier 1 Free Agent(s), or nobody?  Can't we sign a few "B" free agents and call it a day?

I get that EY was talking about general philosophy, but he also gave specific reasons why Bell and Brown aren't the right kind of guys to bring in. 

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I get that EY was talking about general philosophy, but he also gave specific reasons why Bell and Brown aren't the right kind of guys to bring in. 

Free agent market is weak at RB Bell would be the #1 RB in free agency and its also weak at WR if the Steelers make him available he would be the #1 WR available. 

5 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Free agent market is weak at RB Bell would be the #1 RB in free agency and its also weak at WR if the Steelers make him available he would be the #1 WR available. 

Just because it's a weak RB market doesn't mean there are zero other RB's worth signing. 

Mark Ingram, Jay Ajayi, Tevin Coleman, Mike Davis, and Ty Montgomery are among the types of options I'd consider who would come much, much cheaper than Le'Veon Bell and provide some productivity. 

There's a reason RB is the lowest paid position outside of Punter and Kicker.  It's a position that doesn't, and shouldn't, command a huge % of the cap. 

I get that Le'Veon thinks he's a WR too, but it just isn't true.  He's a RB who catches a lot of passes.  Not a WR who runs sometimes.  Reminds me of when Jimmy Graham wanted the franchise tag to reflect him as a WR rather than a TE.

57 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

The Rams have 3 Pro Bowl players, their 3 best players, Goff, Gurley, Donald, all drafted by the team.

Draft your core, then you can add some trinkets.

Jets have a core too: Sam Darnold, Chris Herndon, Jamal Adams, Robby Anderson and Leonard Williams. Should I mention Q? Lol

28 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Why are the only options Bell, other Tier 1 Free Agent(s), or nobody?  Can't we sign a few "B" free agents and call it a day?

it's an impact player league - signing "B" free agents simply isn't going to move the needle enough to get this team competitive.

I agree Bell is a risk but this team has dug itself in such a hole - talent wise - that, IMO, we have no choice but to roll the dice on someone like Bell. 

29 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Just because it's a weak RB market doesn't mean there are zero other RB's worth signing. 

Mark Ingram, Jay Ajayi, Tevin Coleman, Mike Davis, and Ty Montgomery are among the types of options I'd consider who would come much, much cheaper than Le'Veon Bell and provide some productivity. 

There's a reason RB is the lowest paid position outside of Punter and Kicker.  It's a position that doesn't, and shouldn't, command a huge % of the cap. 

I get that Le'Veon thinks he's a WR too, but it just isn't true.  He's a RB who catches a lot of passes.  Not a WR who runs sometimes.  Reminds me of when Jimmy Graham wanted the franchise tag to reflect him as a WR rather than a TE.

Let's not forget Kareem Hunt, or are we drawing a line on him?

it's an impact player league - signing "B" free agents simply isn't going to move the needle enough to get this team competitive.
I agree Bell is a risk but this team has dug itself in such a hole - talent wise - that, IMO, we have no choice but to roll the dice on someone like Bell. 

Signing “A” free agents won’t either, and are more likely to do more harm than good. Unless it’s someone like Anthony Barr (young and really good), I’m not interested.

1 hour ago, Jets723 said:

Exactly. We’ve been down this road so many times and live to regret it

I disagree. Bell is a special talent and is only 26 years old and totally fresh. He hasn't even hit his prime yet. No, you will not find a back in the 3rd round and beyond that can run and catch like Bell. Bell is elite. Brown is 30, so I wouldn't give up so much for him. Bell would help Darnold in a huge way.

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

There are quite a few players set to hit the market that can be had for reasonable prices who are not JAGs.  If we're smart, we can get a nice haul out of free agency without going after the huge names. 

Options that come to mind:

• WR Golden Tate
  • WR Adam Humphries
  • WR Randall Cobb
  • WR Cole Beasley
  • RB Mark Ingram
  • TE Jesse James
  • C Matt Paradis
  • OT Ta'Wuan James
  • OT Trent Brown
  • OT Bobby Massie
  • OT Greg Robinson
  • G Rodger Saffold
  • DE Ziggy Ansah
  • DE Dion Jordan
  • DE/OLB Dee Ford
  • DE/OLB Shaq Barrett
  • OLB Shane Ray
  • CB Ronald Darby
  • CB Darqueze Dennard
  • CB Bryce Callahan
  • CB E.J. Gaines

And obviously there are also the big name pass-rushers like Anthony Barr, DeMarcus Lawrence and JaDeveon Clowney.  I'm not sure I expect any/all of them to break loose, but I'd MUCH rather invest big money in one of them rather than Le'Veon Bell or Antonio Brown.  

Wish list...

C Paradis

RB either Bell OR Tevin Coleman

WR either Humphries or Golden Tate

Getting a C, WR and RB would be a great start to FA.

24 minutes ago, IndianaJet said:

Didn't @Paradis want to sell the farm to draft Paxton Lynch?!?!?

Well, I guess he was a little more successful then Hackenstick

lol lol lol

1309394151979.jpg.4a091838e9ed514438898bbdc0d635d0.jpg

i love the “didn’t you one time like someone who busted” call out. It’s my favourite next to the penis club party line. 

I would absolutely sign Ingram before Bell. I think signing Bell would be more of a statement to the roster and fan base "hey we are not making the sameiatake we made with Mark and Geno, we are going to go 100 miles per hour"

I think whoever gets Ingram is going to get a steal though, he is over shadowed by Kamara IMO

33 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

Who's talking about trading with the Rams? I'm talking about adding Bell and Brown to the offense in the 2nd year of Darnold's rookie contract. 

Let's put it this way to Jet fans, would you want them if you heard there was a chance both were going to New England?

So your choice is spending a billionaires money on Bell & Brown, the two Bs, or would you be OK with 1 or both going to the Pats? 

Whats your choice?

Antonio Brown is in a HOF path. He won’t come here and dog it. By all accounts, he is a hard worker. I think a change of scenery gives us at least 2 years of drama free play. sh*t might hit the fan in year 3 or 4 but we can get rid of him at that point. By that time, we will have to pay Darnold. 

Bell is more of a risk of dogging it. But I’m hoping he has a chip on his shoulder.

I’d get both with the hopes that both give you elite play for 3 or 4 years. Beyond that is wishful thinking. 

The problem the Jets have is no real top running backs or receivers coming out this draft. So where can you find an elite player at either position. Take a chance on a proven player in the NFL already

6 minutes ago, Butterfield said:

How else are they going to spend all the money?  Not much out there this year.  Need impact players.

There are guys available this is who they should be targeting and overspending on:

Offense-

Paradis

Trent Brown

Tate

Davonte Parker

Defense-

Sheldon (then trade Leo)

Jadeveon Clowney

Pierre Desir

Bradley Roby

Archived