Would you rather . . . ?

Gas2No99

Listenting to the Larry Hardesty show, Cimini was LIVE and brought up a VERY SOLID point which MAY dictate the team's ability to sign SO many "big-Ticket FAs" this spring. He stated how the Jet have $102M in Cap space, BUT about $60M ALONE MUST be Spent to SIMPLY FIELD A FULL 53-man ROSTER!!!

So the Jets don't seem to have the monopoly money everyone makes it out to be. The Jets will have to make some interesting compromises in terms of incumbent talent UPGRADE vs. satisfying the MINIMUM required team depth @ Premium FA Price tags. That's where acquiring MORE draft capital (younger talent on rookie contracts) is attractive, but it would be by the guy (Mac & co) who has also commandeered the current roster talent (or lack thereof). So these are questions that started to pop into my head and was curious what others here would prefer or if they had similar questions - granted there's YET to be a CS assembled - now that we at least KNOW that Gase is the HC and he's ALL FOOTBALL and (hopefully) will have learned from his previous mistakes: 

Sign LeVeon Bell or Kareem Hunt as an UFA?

Get a Big Name DC or promote/re-hire from his previous Miami staff? Would he neglect defense as Rex did the offense?

Would it be WISE to trade for WR Antonio Brown for a team w/a developing FQB and "Everyone Buy In" HC in Gase? Holmes Redux?

Draft DE/DL w/the #3 overall pick (STUD certified - in theory) or TRADE back to accrue MORE draft picks?

Do YOU TRUST Mac with having to make MORE selections in the draft?

Assuming Jets DC gets to run his OWN gig (more autonomous), would you prefer maintaining the 3-4 or switching to 4-3?

Thoughts?

Jets have 30 players under contract for 2019. The 60mil figure is extreme misleading to say the least. Even if we were to pick up 8 players making 10 mil a piece, we are left behind with 22 mil to bring in 15 more guys. 7 draft picks would cost less than 10 mil. For the 8 other FAs, we would have 12-15mil. Most of those last 15 players out of the 53 man roster would be on vets minimum playing STs.

Cro and Spencer alone can give us an extra 10 mil to spend and we may see that. We have far more wiggle room than one imagines. 

7 hours ago, Gas2No99 said:

Listenting to the Larry Hardesty show, Cimini was LIVE and brought up a VERY SOLID point which MAY dictate the team's ability to sign SO many "big-Ticket FAs" this spring. He stated how the Jet have $102M in Cap space, BUT about $60M ALONE MUST be Spent to SIMPLY FIELD A FULL 53-man ROSTER!!!

I've been saying this for months. They only have @30 players under contract for 2019. They'll have five or six draft picks on the roster, maybe a UDFA or two, but the rest they're gonna have to buy. Luxury shopping at RB, for example, might be a bad idea. 

7 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Ginger. Maryann had short legs and was thick through the hips. That’s not my idea of a good time, no sir.

One night or a relationship? Because, long term, I'd much rather get high with Maryann and eat her, um, coconut pies, than hang with that high-maintenance movie star.  

19 minutes ago, slats said:

I've been saying this for months. They only have @30 players under contract for 2019. They'll have five or six draft picks on the roster, maybe a UDFA or two, but the rest they're gonna have to buy. Luxury shopping at RB, for example, might be a bad idea. 

yep.  this is always the way it with just about every team.  but the point is "are any of the jet free agents worth re-signing?"  and can they get a position improvement without spending much more?  mac really has his work cut out.  he had better be up to the task for this team to succeed.

7 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Ginger. Maryann had short legs and was thick through the hips. That’s not my idea of a good time, no sir.

It’s a deserted island bro. A coconut with a hole in it would be considered a hot date.

I am tired of hearing about not trusting Mac with draft picks and fa money. Trust him or not he is our gm. His draft picks I think have gotten better year after year (every team misses on players, get over it). They say the draft is a crapshoot but so is free agency, sure thing can't miss studs do not hit free agency they get locked up by their teams and the players left have big-time red flags, are developmental, or are depth plus or minus type players.

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

11 minutes ago, rangerous said:

yep.  this is always the way it with just about every team.  but the point is "are any of the jet free agents worth re-signing?"  and can they get a position improvement without spending much more?  mac really has his work cut out.  he had better be up to the task for this team to succeed.

I'd put a 1st round tender on Robby Anderson because I want him back. That'll be about $4.2M (vs. @ $3M for a second-round tender). My concern is that a team picking late could easily be willing to give the Jets a pick in the 60s for Anderson, and that the Jets would not find Anderson-level production with that pick. 

I'd at least put a minimum tender on Doug Middleton, which will be about $2M. Luvu, Wint, Webb, and Burnett are ERFAs I'd definitely bring back cheaply. Maybe Eric Smith and Jeremy Clark, too, figuring that not all these ERFAs make the roster. Guys like Attaocho and Martin would depend on how aggressive the Jets plan on being in the pass rush department in FA. Harrison, Qvale, and Ijalana depend on how aggressive they plan to be at OL. I'd want Henry Anderson back, but no idea what that will cost. Have to think Jason Myers would be a priority. Morris Claiborne and Avery Williamson might be the only real high-priced guys I'd go after. 

Money goes quick. 

14 minutes ago, slats said:

I'd put a 1st round tender on Robby Anderson because I want him back. That'll be about $4.2M (vs. @ $3M for a second-round tender). My concern is that a team picking late could easily be willing to give the Jets a pick in the 60s for Anderson, and that the Jets would not find Anderson-level production with that pick. 

I'd at least put a minimum tender on Doug Middleton, which will be about $2M. Luvu, Wint, Webb, and Burnett are ERFAs I'd definitely bring back cheaply. Maybe Eric Smith and Jeremy Clark, too, figuring that not all these ERFAs make the roster. Guys like Attaocho and Martin would depend on how aggressive the Jets plan on being in the pass rush department in FA. Harrison, Qvale, and Ijalana depend on how aggressive they plan to be at OL. I'd want Henry Anderson back, but no idea what that will cost. Have to think Jason Myers would be a priority. Morris Claiborne and Avery Williamson might be the only real high-priced guys I'd go after. 

Money goes quick. 

yep it sure does.  and get a couple of elite players at 20 million per and that 100 million in cap space is all eaten up.  but you know you look at that patsie team and they don't have a whole load of elite players.  maybe 4 or 5.  the rest of the guys are average but come to play on each down.

Cimini isn't wrong but he implies that all 53 players are going to be crutial when in reality you are only going to pay big money to Bell/Edge/and maybe a Center. Let's assume high end values

Bell - $17M

Edge - $13-20M (I don't think Clowney/Ford/Lawrence hit FA so it could very well be on the lower end)

Paradis - $10M (at 30 years old I doubt he gets that much money)

CB - $8-10M

That leaves us with $50M~ now you need to account for all other teams having a lot of cap space, there will not be that many good players worth signing to bigger contracts (over $8M).

After draft picks that leaves you with $40M to spend on 13 positions, we have plenty of cap.

10 minutes ago, rangerous said:

yep it sure does.  and get a couple of elite players at 20 million per and that 100 million in cap space is all eaten up.  but you know you look at that patsie team and they don't have a whole load of elite players.  maybe 4 or 5.  the rest of the guys are average but come to play on each down.

That's the thing, who is worth $20M? I don't know if Bell hits that but let's say he did, we still have more than enough to sign a C, Edge, and CB to market value contracts. Guys like Lawrence, Ford, and Clowney who would be able to demand huge deals likely aren't going to hit the FA market. Combine that with the fact that the league as a whole has a ton of cap space leaves a small talent pool of players who likely all aren't signing with us.

1 hour ago, slats said:

One night or a relationship? Because, long term, I'd much rather get high with Maryann and eat her, um, coconut pies, than hang with that high-maintenance movie star.  

Dude, don't even worry about that.  You'll only be hanging out with either one for like 3 hours... tops.

9 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Well looking back at some old photos, Mary Ann was just fine.  Not as leggy as Ginger, but if you're going to be stranded on a desert island for years, you could do far worse.

But it's a moot point because the Jets made their choice last year.  Ginger all the way!

I would rather spend a day 2 draft pick on a running back and get him cheap for 4 years instead of signing a woman beater or a malcontent to a 6 year, heavy priced deal. I’d also monitor where Bell and Hunt end up and poach a good backup from those teams ie. Marlon Mack if Indy gets Bell. 

13 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

I would rather spend a day 2 draft pick on a running back and get him cheap for 4 years instead of signing a woman beater or a malcontent to a 6 year, heavy priced deal. I’d also monitor where Bell and Hunt end up and poach a good backup from those teams ie. Marlon Mack if Indy gets Bell. 

Please stay on topic. MaryAnn or Ginger and why.  Sheeesh. 

9 hours ago, Gas2No99 said:

Assuming Jets DC gets to run his OWN gig (more autonomous), would you prefer maintaining the 3-4 or switching to 4-3?

I would love to see the Jets go back to the 4-3. I wanted Rex to do it when he had Williams, Coples, Wilkerson and Richardson. I think that could have been a great d-line, but Rex was too inflexible and tried to smash square pegs into round holes and it never worked. For guys considered defensive "gurus" neither Rex or Bowles was able to get the Jets defense to play consistently well, especially Williams who seems to be mailing it in every week. A 4-3 might be just the ticket to revive his career.

22 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

I'd rather draft a RB as well, but Mac KNOWS he has no time for rookies to develop and may take a similar route ala 2015 which got him executive of the year. He needs to show results now, mandate or not. 

Granted, Hunt "booted" a dumb privileged drunk chick, but he didn't beat her (IMO). Yes, he may have anger issues but nothing so egregious that counseling and this time out hasn't taught him already. I think you'd get him cheaper than Bell and has less ware and could be LETHAL under Gase. I'd sign him for a longer contract than Bell but no more than 4 years w/opt out clauses. 

Philosophically and in general, I'm against signing a BIG FA RB, but at this stage of th Jets w/0 talent and a young FQB an exception should be made; if we sign Hunt for 4 years (2 year opt out) or Bell for 3 years (guaranteed 2) it would exponentially help Darnold in developing and keeping the offense balanced. 

6 minutes ago, Gas2No99 said:

I'd rather draft a RB as well, but Mac KNOWS he has no time for rookies to develop and may take a similar route ala 2015 which got him executive of the year. He needs to show results now, mandate or not. 

Granted, Hunt "booted" a dumb privileged drunk chick, but he didn't beat her (IMO). Yes, he may have anger issues but nothing so egregious that counseling and this time out hasn't taught him already. I think you'd get him cheaper than Bell and has less ware and could be LETHAL under Gase. I'd sign him for a longer contract than Bell but no more than 4 years w/opt out clauses. 

Philosophically and in general, I'm against signing a BIG FA RB, but at this stage of th Jets w/0 talent and a young FQB an exception should be made; if we sign Hunt for 4 years (2 year opt out) or Bell for 3 years (guaranteed 2) it would exponentially help Darnold in developing and keeping the offense balanced. 

I think RB is one position where you can get instant results with a rookie. Look at Kamara with N.O.

Just now, Ex-Rex said:

I would prefer Hunt. Bell will demand top dollar while Hunt is still on his rookie deal. Yes he will probably serve a suspension but he would give the Jets a young, versatile back for years while Bell would be a two years and done guy.

Hunt is a UFA, he cleared waivers. He can actually CASH IN NOW  entering his 3rd year while the rest of his draft class rounds 2-7 can't cash in as FA until 2021. 

1 minute ago, Ex-Rex said:

I would prefer Hunt. Bell will demand top dollar while Hunt is still on his rookie deal. Yes he will probably serve a suspension but he would give the Jets a young, versatile back for years while Bell would be a two years and done guy.

Agreed.  Question with Hunt is that any team that signs him will take a sh*t storm of bad PR for doing so. If it were me, hell yes I'd sign him.

1 minute ago, Thai Jet said:

I think RB is one position where you can get instant results with a rookie. Look at Kamara with N.O.

Yeah, and the Jets GM had the opportunity, but not the savvy, to draft him. I have lost faith in the scouting dept and GM to identify and acquire top talent via the draft; it has been validated by the 2015 draft class and the Hack selection. I was brought over to the dark side and no longer can publicly support Mac. He's had some hits, but his misses have REALLY hurt this team via the draft. 

5 minutes ago, Thai Jet said:

Agreed.  Question with Hunt is that any team that signs him will take a sh*t storm of bad PR for doing so. If it were me, hell yes I'd sign him.

THAT's WHY after yesterday Hunt is a NO BRAINER! WE can't get any lower in the media's eyes! lol. 

After all the memes and criticism, F*CK everybody and THEIR Optics of the NY Jets. 

Sometimes being ostracized can lead to the ultimate freedom and restraints from the status quo to really break new ground. 

Sign HUNT! :D 

1 hour ago, BigO said:

Please stay on topic. MaryAnn or Ginger and why.  Sheeesh. 

MaryAnn. I have a red beard. I don’t need another one. 

1 hour ago, Gas2No99 said:

Why doesn’t Macc have time for a rookie RB? He didn’t get fired after a third straight disaster. I’m not sure he feels that way. Especially since there is no impetus to win. Sadly. 

Archived