Barry McCockinner's Glorious Jets Mock Draft

Barry McCockinner

I've read a lot of mock drafts over the years and never attempted one on my own. While I welcome criticism, please don't kill me too hard - I have a fragile ego and might cry if you do.

One of the reasons I've never done a mock draft is that I don't even watch college football. So with that - I'm not trying to pretend to be some draft guru here. Mostly just having fun trying to put together what I think would be a good draft for the Jets based on what I've read from other people who analyze and project the draft. Some of the round projections people had were all over the map so I wouldn't be surprised if I'm way off on the projected round for some of these. 

Lastly, there are two trades in this mock draft. I realize it's highly unlikely we're able to trade down twice in one draft but I think both trades in and of themselves are reasonable and realistic. Without further ado, here is the most glorious mock draft in the history of mock drafts. Or something.

RD1.3: Trade #3 with NYG for #6, R2.5, Rd5.5, R6.6
RD1.6 (from NYG): Trade #6 for #20 & Antonio Brown
RD1.20 (from Pitt): Jawaan Taylor - OT - Florida
    Mauler at RT who can swing to LT in a pinch.
RD2.5: Deebo Samuel - WR - South Carolina
    Strong hands, elusive in the open field and versatile.
RD3.4: Michael Jordan - G/C - Ohio State
    Versatile interior offensive lineman. Probably better at guard but can fill in at C if necessary.
RD3.30: Garrett Bradbury - C - North Carolina State
    Solid all around center, not going to drive NFL DT's off a spot on his own but can hold his own and seal in the RG and will be good as a zone blocker. Solid in pass pro.
RD4.3: Darrell Henderson - RB - Memphis
    Explosive and elusive home run hitting RB with good hands out of the backfield. Needs to improve in pass protection.
RD5.3: Khalil Hodge - ILB - Buffalo
    MLB prospect who plays downhill and is good at shedding blocks. May be on the slower side but tends to make quick, accurate decisions that keep him around the ball.
RD5.5 (from NYG): Hunter Renfrow - WR - Clemson
    Solid slot receiver who creates separation and catches everything he touches.
RD6.6 (from NYG): Foster Moreau - TE - LSU
    Blocking TE - not much of a receiver but a strong blocker with the ability to haul in a pass here and there.
RD7.3: Deshaun Davis - LB - Auburn
    Sam backer prospect.

14 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

. While I welcome criticism, please don't kill me too hard - I have a fragile ego and might cry if you do.

Are you planning on starting another thread, where you bare your soul and share your innermost secrets, while reciting  @TomShane's rules on how to successfully navigate your way around the internet?  Please don't.  Signed Concerned,

Nice mock just don’t like the trades and don’t agree with what was given/received value wise. Don’t really wanna dwell on that aspect of it though because draft pick value in mock drafts are tricky with how situations vary due to prospects ahead of your pick, the strength of the QB class, ect 

I’m trying to stay at #3 in the remainder of my mocks just for the challenge.

I know it’s harder to pick at #3 in these mocks because ..who do you go with, you know? It’s a tough choice given all the DL in the top 5. You can’t appease everyone with your pick but I think you did a nice job of at least picking up a interesting LT prospect. 

Deebo Samuel is a stud. Love it. 

Darrell Henderson is one of my favorite RB’s in this draft. Nice selection. Just don’t expect him to be there in Rd 4.

Don’t love Michael Jordan but can respect that you shot for a Guard.

Going to be honest. Haven’t looked into Bradbury enough so don’t have an opinion him. Only Center I’ve watched tape on is Elgton Jenkins from MS State. Hopefully our Center situation is solved in FA though.

Dont know if I would of went Renfrow after picking up Antonio Brown and Deebo. Probably could of went some where better with that pick.

the rest of the prospects I haven’t gotten around to watching yet. Overall decent mock bro. Only real complaint I have is the trade down value. Don’t know if you were shooting for a more realistic draft scenario though so... because I don’t think either of those trades have a chance of happening, especially the Brown trade, but It’s an interesting take.

appreciate the time you put into typing this up. 

Go Jets.

4 minutes ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

Are you planning on starting another thread, where you bare your soul and share your innermost secrets, while reciting  @TomShane's rules on how to successfully navigate your way around the internet?  Please don't.  Signed Concerned,

well crap, I was just about to hit submit on my other browser window. ?

15 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Nice mock just don’t like the trades and don’t agree with what was given/received value wise. Don’t really wanna dwell on that aspect of it though because draft pick value in mock drafts are tricky with how situations vary due to prospects ahead of your pick, the strength of the QB class, ect 

I’m trying to stay at #3 in the remainder of my mocks just for the challenge.

I know it’s harder to pick at #3 in these mocks because ..who do you go with, you know? It’s a tough choice given all the DL in the top 5. You can’t appease everyone with your pick but I think you did a nice job of at least picking up a interesting LT prospect. 

Deebo Samuel is a stud. Love it. 

Darrell Henderson is one of my favorite RB’s in this draft. Nice selection. Just don’t expect him to be there in Rd 4.

Don’t love Michael Jordan but can respect that you shot for a Guard.

Going to be honest. Haven’t looked into Bradbury enough so don’t have an opinion him. Only Center I’ve watched tape on is Elgton Jenkins from MS State. Hopefully our Center situation is solved in FA though.

Dont know if I would of went Renfrow after picking up Antonio Brown and Deebo. Probably could of went some where better with that pick.

the rest of the prospects I haven’t gotten around to watching yet. Overall decent mock bro. Only real complaint I have is the trade down value. Don’t know if you were shooting for a more realistic draft scenario though so... because I don’t think either of those trades have a chance of happening, especially the Brown trade, but It’s an interesting take.

appreciate the time you put into typing this up. 

Go Jets.

I did use a draft value chart on the Giants trade even though it ended up a few points shy for us I didn't think it was a big deal when a trade down is ideal. I appreciate the feedback. One of my main goals was to try and stack up the WR corps so yea - a little over board on the WR's.

You're going to get some grief for at least two things here. First, the Giants trade. Any trade happening between them a remote possibility, even though it makes sense for both teams. I hope you're correct here though. Second, the other trade down with the Steelers. Again, I'd love it. Both for the player and to watch the fireworks in here if it happened.

As for the rest of it, I admire you guys who do these. You put yourself out there and it always surprises me when guys feel the need to qualify their work by saying they're not a draft guru. I always say the same thing in reply. There are no draft gurus here, just guys who think they are. 

That said, I know less about these prospects then you think you do, so I won't criticize any of them. You've looked at positions of need, and that alone makes it a nice effort on your part. Thanks for taking the time to do this and sharing it with everyone.

Guess it's as good as almost anyone else would do.  Positionally it mostly makes sense, although if you're trading for Brown, and we already have Enunwa, Anderson and others, don't you think two wide receivers is overkill?  I'd be thrilled if Henderson made it to the 4th round, but I find that nearly impossible.  Also it is most unlikely that Renfro will be available anywhere near the 5th round.

3 minutes ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

Guess it's as good as almost anyone else would do.  Positionally it mostly makes sense, although if you're trading for Brown, and we already have Enunwa, Anderson and others, don't you think two wide receivers is overkill?  I'd be thrilled if Henderson made it to the 4th round, but I find that nearly impossible.  Also it is most unlikely that Renfro will be available anywhere near the 5th round.

Yes it's overkill. Trying to make it a position of strength and surround the franchise with weapons. Guys are bound to get injured and/or not live up to expectations. 

9 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Yes it's overkill. Trying to make it a position of strength and surround the franchise with weapons. Guys are bound to get injured and/or not live up to expectations. 

You successfully surrounded the franchise with more weapons than the "Green Zone" in Baghdad. With this many wide receivers, if Antonio Brown decides not to show for practice there's a good chance of it going unnoticed.  Glorious.

14 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I did use a draft value chart on the Giants trade even though it ended up like 15 points shy for us I didn't think it was a big deal when a trade down is ideal. I appreciate the feedback. One of my main goals was to try and stack up the WR corps so yea - a little over board on the WR's.

No doubt man. I did the same on my 1.0 Mock and it’s all you really can do on mocks so I respect that you made the effort to at least make the compensation as accurate as you could. As I mentioned, it’s very tricky to come up with trade scenarios that are universally agreed on. It’s all good. I’m more concerned with the picks that people make on their mocks and you had some nice ones. Gave us some good weapons.

Again, props.

19 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

You're going to get some grief for at least two things here. First, the Giants trade. Any trade happening between them a remote possibility, even though it makes sense for both teams. I hope you're correct here though. Second, the other trade down with the Steelers. Again, I'd love it. Both for the player and to watch the fireworks in here if it happened.

As for the rest of it, I admire you guys who do these. You put yourself out there and it always surprises me when guys feel the need to qualify their work by saying they're not a draft guru. I always say the same thing in reply. There are no draft gurus here, just guys who think they are. 

That said, I know less about these prospects then you think you do, so I won't criticize any of them. You've looked at positions of need, and that alone makes it a nice effort on your part. Thanks for taking the time to do this and sharing it with everyone.

Yeah, none of us are draft gurus that’s for sure and most of the time the ESPN draft guru’s don’t get it right either. It’s all a guessing game that is leaned on by understanding what good prospects are suppose to look like for their respected positions and then determining for one’s self if they pass the eye test.

It’s all in good fun for us JN guys though. What better way to kill time for football season than to watch more football when it’s not football season? Pretending to be a scout is fun stuff.

16 minutes ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

This. Brown is a number 1 receiver, Anderson is a deep threat, Hunter and Samuel are slot receivers. Even with Enunwa lack of dependability it might be a little bit of an overkill.

I don’t think a few of the players will be available at their spots but I’d be happy with this outcome especially if they get an ED in FA. 

The OP is 100 percent right. You cannot let past mistakes impact your decision on draft night. 

Just because Mo Wilk, Leonard Williams, and Sheldon didnt work in Todd Bowles defense doesnt mean that Leonard and Quinnen wont work in Gregg Williams defense. Also doesnt mean that Quinnen isnt eons better than the other three. 

Go through your process and pick the best player. 

19 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Yeah, none of us are draft gurus that’s for sure and most of the time the ESPN draft guru’s don’t get it right either. It’s all a guessing game that is leaned on by understanding what good prospects are suppose to look like for their respected positions and then determining for one’s self if they pass the eye test.

It’s all in good fun for us JN guys though. What better way to kill time for football season than to watch more football when it’s not football season? Pretending to be a scout is fun stuff.

I love looking at these. Those of you who do them give the rest of us something fun to talk about during this "dead" part of the year. 

You're also educating those like myself, who watch the college games purely for the fun of it. As I said, I eat this stuff up, and thanks to all of your efforts I should be quite the know it all by draft day!

5 minutes ago, WayneChrebet80 said:

The OP is 100 percent right. You cannot let past mistakes impact your decision on draft night. 

Just because Mo Wilk, Leonard Williams, and Sheldon didnt work in Todd Bowles defense doesnt mean that Leonard and Quinnen wont work in Gregg Williams defense. Also doesnt mean that Quinnen isnt eons better than the other three. 

Wrong thread, my man. You meant to post this in the Calvin Johnson one. Good post though! ? 

19 minutes ago, WayneChrebet80 said:

I think you have the wrong thread.

3 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I did use a draft value chart on the Giants trade even though it ended up a few points shy for us I didn't think it was a big deal when a trade down is ideal. I appreciate the feedback. One of my main goals was to try and stack up the WR corps so yea - a little over board on the WR's.

We won't trade with the Giants, let alone allow them to get a franchise QB at our expense.

We run this town now, if you do trade with them the chart goes out the window. They have to give their soul up if they want the 3rd overall pick from us.

Wow! If we signed a couple Olineman & came out of the draft with Antonio Brown, Deebo Samuel & Henderson? Anderson would be traded and we'd add another draft pick for next year in 2020 when the Jets are really ready to fly. 

Interesting mock & if it came close to happening, the Jets would CERTAINLY be talked about as a playoff contender in 2019. 

Holy Sh*t! I'm just picturing Brown- Samuel- Enunwa- Herndon, Henderson in the backfield with Tevin Coleman as his backup. DAMN!

4 hours ago, BurnleyJet said:

We won't trade with the Giants, let alone allow them to get a franchise QB at our expense.

We run this town now, if you do trade with them the chart goes out the window. They have to give their soul up if they want the 3rd overall pick from us.

I think the idea that we don't want to trade with the Giants is silly. It could benefit both teams and we're not even in the same conference.

9 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

Good take 14.

I'm in the same boat as you and the OP.  One of my favorite reasons to be a poster on JN is for some of the guys knowledge on the college crop this time of year. I really feel that a lot of the posters here know almost as much as all of the NFL network/ESPN mock makers. We have some quality thoughts on here. 

That said, I am one who looks at the players who my college fan friends and the posters here talk about every season and then make my very opinionated and rigid point o view from that. :) 

I'm really liking this Darrel Henderson kid and I think he's in a different league than the guy from ND who someone made a thread about. Henderson seems like the absolute real deal and his burst and vision look to be special. I would love to take him in the third if he was there. Other than that, I'm really hoping for a trade back to acquire a 2nd this season and maybe a 1st or 2nd next year. I'd take .75 on the dollar for draft value to get more appropriate value for the 3rd pick. As good as some of the DL prospects seem, I would be heartbroken if we went that way yet again. 

I believe Macc is all in on offense for once and that may override his propensity to go BPA this year. I think going O is of vital importance with OL being the main priority. FA will be very telling and I hope we jump on it fast. 

Good Mock Barry! 

I'm just completely anti Antonio Brown.  If we had an established veteran QB and we needed a piece to solidify a Superbowl run, I would be more inclined....but I don't want this dude anywhere near Sam.

We'll get one year out of him, then he's got no guaranteed money in the remaining years of his contract and he's gonna hold out in 2020 for an extension that makes to be the highest paid WR in the league....on top of all the diva issues we'll run into in 2019.

Anyways....I know the AB thing has been hashed out in other threads....but it's hard to judge your mock when the Brown trade is a key piece.

I do love me some Deebo and Henderson tho. 

Trades are just too hard to predict. This is great and all but I can't really take this mock seriously with back to back trade down for the Jets. It's not gonna happen. When is the last time the Jets have done something like that? Have they EVER? 

On 2/17/2019 at 10:00 PM, Barry McCockinner said:

I've read a lot of mock drafts over the years and never attempted one on my own. While I welcome criticism, please don't kill me too hard - I have a fragile ego and might cry if you do.

One of the reasons I've never done a mock draft is that I don't even watch college football. So with that - I'm not trying to pretend to be some draft guru here. Mostly just having fun trying to put together what I think would be a good draft for the Jets based on what I've read from other people who analyze and project the draft. Some of the round projections people had were all over the map so I wouldn't be surprised if I'm way off on the projected round for some of these. 

Lastly, there are two trades in this mock draft. I realize it's highly unlikely we're able to trade down twice in one draft but I think both trades in and of themselves are reasonable and realistic. Without further ado, here is the most glorious mock draft in the history of mock drafts. Or something.

RD1.3: Trade #3 with NYG for #6, R2.5, Rd5.5, R6.6
RD1.6 (from NYG): Trade #6 for #20 & Antonio Brown
RD1.20 (from Pitt): Jawaan Taylor - OT - Florida
    Mauler at RT who can swing to LT in a pinch.
RD2.5: Deebo Samuel - WR - South Carolina
    Strong hands, elusive in the open field and versatile.
RD3.4: Michael Jordan - G/C - Ohio State
    Versatile interior offensive lineman. Probably better at guard but can fill in at C if necessary.
RD3.30: Garrett Bradbury - C - North Carolina State
    Solid all around center, not going to drive NFL DT's off a spot on his own but can hold his own and seal in the RG and will be good as a zone blocker. Solid in pass pro.
RD4.3: Darrell Henderson - RB - Memphis
    Explosive and elusive home run hitting RB with good hands out of the backfield. Needs to improve in pass protection.
RD5.3: Khalil Hodge - ILB - Buffalo
    MLB prospect who plays downhill and is good at shedding blocks. May be on the slower side but tends to make quick, accurate decisions that keep him around the ball.
RD5.5 (from NYG): Hunter Renfrow - WR - Clemson
RD6.6 (from NYG): Foster Moreau - TE - LSU
    Blocking TE - not much of a receiver but a strong blocker with the ability to haul in a pass here and there.
RD7.3: Deshaun Davis - LB - Auburn
    Sam backer prospect.

I like it but don't see the Giants making that kind of high profile trade with us.   We didn't even call them when we were looking to trade up last year and we could have lost Darnold as a result.

12 minutes ago, Bruce Harper said:

I like it but don't see the Giants making that kind of high profile trade with us.   We didn't even call them when we were looking to trade up last year and we could have lost Darnold as a result.

You don't call ex-girlfriends who hate your guts to ask them if you can borrow their car.  You just don't.?

On 2/25/2019 at 5:17 PM, Bruce Harper said:

I kinda think the Jets/Giants rivalry thing is overblown. If the Giants were that spiteful they would have taken Darnold at #2 (or traded down), knowing that the Jets desperately needed a QB and Darnold falling to 3 would be a dream come true. Instead they took Barkley. I mean, maybe they loved Barkley THAT much but heck, they needed a QB! 

Also, wouldn't they be hurting themselves by potentially missing out on Haskins (or their QB)? There are a lot of teams that are potential trade partners with the Jets for that 3rd pick who need a QB. And they know they need to hop the Giants. It's like cutting off the nose to spite your face. Makes no sense. 

11 minutes ago, PepPep said:

I kinda think the Jets/Giants rivalry thing is overblown. If the Giants were that spiteful they would have taken Darnold at #2 (or traded down), knowing that the Jets desperately needed a QB and Darnold falling to 3 would be a dream come true. Instead they took Barkley. I mean, maybe they loved Barkley THAT much but heck, they needed a QB! 

Also, wouldn't they be hurting themselves by potentially missing out on Haskins (or their QB)? There are a lot of teams that are potential trade partners with the Jets for that 3rd pick who need a QB. And they know they need to hop the Giants. It's like cutting off the nose to spite your face. Makes no sense. 

I don't think of it so much as a rivalry thing as a share the back page thing.  They share press, so making a mistake in a deal like this can get blown way out of proportion.  I think that doing what is right for each franchise is most important, but I am sure that optically they would both prefer to deal with another team.  

12 minutes ago, PepPep said:

It's not about spite.  They just don't want to do a trade with the guys that they share a stadium with when it could turn out to be embarrassing to them if it doesn't work out.  It could happen but I would be surprised.  For the same reason, the Jets never even contacted the Giants to ask about the second pick.

Also, they chose Barkley because they thought he was the best player, not to help the Jets by letting them get Darnold.   I think it will prove to be a huge mistake, but I'm quite sure that the thought of helping the Jets never crossed their minds. 

-I love the mock overall.

-Love the Giants trade and we will def. get more for it, but let's assume its a pick next year. 

-Hate the Pitt trade- ALL THE WAY TO 20 and want no part of Antonio 'Mr. Big Chest' Brown.   

-I don't see any pass rushers, which bothers me. Even if we sign someone in FA I still want to draft an edge rusher. 

Otherwise, I like the prospects and they make sense for the Jets. However, if we were picking at 6 and did not trade down to 20 it would impact who we take greatly, so my mock would be different even if I love all the same prospects.

Maybe it would go something like this? 

RD1.3: Trade #3 with NYG for #6, R2.5, Rd5.5, R6.6
RD1.6 (from NYG): J.Williams-OT-BAMA (I think he IS an NFL LT but will most likely be plugged in at LG and the Jets will keep Beachem at LT for now). He can also be plugged in at RT if Shell does not bounce back from his injury. 
RD2.5: Brian Burns-Edge-FSU (Long, lean, versatile edge rusher).  
RD3.4: JJ Arcega-Whiteside-WR-Stanford
RD3.30: Garrett Bradbury - C - North Carolina State
RD4.3: Darrell Henderson - RB - Memphis
RD5.3: Khalil Hodge - ILB - Buffalo
RD5.5 (from NYG): Hunter Renfrow - WR - Clemson
RD6.6 (from NYG): Foster Moreau - TE - LSU
RD7.3: Deshaun Davis - LB - Auburn
    Sam backer prospect.

30 minutes ago, Bruce Harper said:

It's not about spite.  They just don't want to do a trade with the guys that they share a stadium with when it could turn out to be embarrassing to them if it doesn't work out.  It could happen but I would be surprised.  For the same reason, the Jets never even contacted the Giants to ask about the second pick.

Also, they chose Barkley because they thought he was the best player, not to help the Jets by letting them get Darnold.   I think it will prove to be a huge mistake, but I'm quite sure that the thought of helping the Jets never crossed their minds. 

Wasn't implying that they would be HELPING the Jets, was implying that 1. They needed a QB and 2. Why not take one of the top QB prospects if it also means they rain on the Jets parade....that is, if it matters that much to them, which I don;t think it does. 

Archived