Jets Draft History - Memory Lane - How did you feel?

CTJetsFan

I was reflecting on how many times I have liked a Jets draft pick (ex. Wilkerson, L. Williams, Adams, Darnold) and how many times I have hated it (ex. Gholston, Milliner, Pryor, Maye).

Looking beyond the 1st round I admit I did like picks like Geno, Hill, Petty (and others) at the time.

Without taking into consideration how the player turned out or how players taken before/after turned out, what % of Jets draft picks would you say you were happy with at the time the pick was made? http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/fulldraft?teamId=3430&type=team

Looking at the names on that list and remembering what our needs were at the time, I'd have to say I've been probably happy with about 30 - 40% of our picks at the time they were made.

How about you?

Agreed on Maye.  Nobody talks about how bad of a pick this was - Not only was it back to back safeties, but Maye was a basically a poor mans version of Adams.  Mac took 2 strong safeties back to back neither of whom were good in coverage.  Not to mention Eddie Jackson, Marcus Williams, both better in coverage - still on the board, if you absolutely HAD to take another safety.

Others i've hated:

L Williams

Darron Lee - Another guy who turned out to be exactly who we thought he would, but worse in coverage. 

Wilkerson

Kyle Wilson

Coples (Everybody but Rex and Tanny knew that Ingram was the correct pick here)

Dustin Keller

Loved:

Darnold 

Hackenberg

Sheldon Richardson

Sanchez

Revis

Gholston

Loved the Darnold pick, I was all in on him for like a year and half before he was drafted.

I liked the Petty pick, thought he was good value in the 4th.

I had no issue at all with Geno Smith pick.  The jets needed a QB, did not trade up for him and he was valued higher than where they took him.

I hated the Hackenburg pick from day one, before day one.

Hated the Maye pick after we took Adams at 6.

Was happy with the Leo Williams pick.

Hated the Darron Lee pick.

I had no issues with Kyle Wilson pick.

I liked the Sheldon Richardson pick.

I guess there were some picks for me that fell between love and hate (Lee, Sheldon, Wilson). I didn't hate Hack pick but thought it was too early.

I really did not like the Ardarius Stewart pick but was ok with Hansen.

I recall loving the Q pick

Then again I loved the Amaro pick too

I thought the trade up for Sanchez was one of the greatest acts of draft wizardry I'd ever seen.  We paid next to nothing to move up from 13 to 5 to get a guy we thought could be our FQB.  Hate the player all you want, but the trade/pick was exciting.  

Picks I remember absolutely hating include Maye, again because taking a 2nd Safety felt like *blech* and at the time I hadn't even heard of Maye and was thinking Dalvin Cook was outstanding value at that point.

I'm old enough to remember the Roger Vick / Mike Haight days.  The less I say about that the better.

I think my least favorite draft move ever though was trading out of Pace and then Jones to take Farrior and a bunch of mid-round picks.  I hated it then.  Hated it every day of the next 15 years while those two guys were the best LTs on the planet, and Farrior was playing good football in PIT.  I still hate it to this day.  Parcells had a chance, maybe, to get us Pace and Peyton.  Instead we got Keyshawn and Farrior.  While I loved Keyshawn as a player, this was not a good consolation prize.

On 3/28/2019 at 4:44 PM, Paradis said:

I’ve basically hated every pick the Jets have ever made 

I will say there has never been a draft in which I was pretty happy with the whole thing.  Our Gms pull out the stupid hat at some point in every draft.

Our great 2006 draft, we get dbrick and mangold, trade down in the 2nd round and get assets with washington, we then smartly trade up and get kellen clemens.  (he did not work out but the trade to get him was smart.)

Then the stupid hat comes out.  Tanny trades down in the 3rd round with philly who promptly takes the player we were rumored to like.  Then he panics and take the boar hunter who simply was far too early to take for a slow linebacker special teams kind of guy and to top it all he got AWFUL value in the trade.  We got a 7th rounder for trading down in the 3rd round.

We got some good players after that but every draft our gms do something you shake your head at.

29 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I will say there has never been a draft in which I was pretty happy with the whole thing.  Our Gms pull out the stupid hat at some point in every draft.

Our great 2006 draft, we get dbrick and mangold, trade down in the 2nd round and get assets with washington, we then smartly trade up and get kellen clemens.  (he did not work out but the trade to get him was smart.)

Then the stupid hat comes out.  Tanny trades down in the 3rd round with philly who promptly takes the player we were rumored to like.  Then he panics and take the boar hunter who simply was far too early to take for a slow linebacker special teams kind of guy and to top it all he got AWFUL value in the trade.  We got a 7th rounder for trading down in the 3rd round.

We got some good players after that but every draft our gms do something you shake your head at.

Between Revis and Darnold is 11 years of carnage. 

and it's not just the bad picks, it's the players passed over in lieu of that cuts like a knife. 

56 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Probably the best post in this thread regarding precious jets drafts.

One of my best posts ever.  I realized how stupid the original comment was and replaced it with nothing.  And, sometimes nothing can be a real cool hand.  Or in this case, a cool post.

21 hours ago, NYDreamer said:

It's kind of funny that we forget about selecting Bryan Thomas pick over safety Ed Reed.  It's not that I disliked Bryan Thomas as a player but every board had Ed Reed rated higher accept for ours.

It's a chronic Jet problem.....we are allergic to impact, game changing players.

If we're talking 1st rounders.  I'll start in '06 since that was the last 1st round I truly loved.  

Loved:

DBrick, Mangold, Revis, Mo, Sheldon, Coples, Leo, Darnold

Hated:

Gholston, Sanchez, Wilson, Pryor, Milliner, Lee

If got into round 2-5...yuck!  So many bad picks and missed on so many good ones.

The 1987 draft taught me to that the Jets have no clue how to use the draft. Sadly, little has changed over the past 30+ years.

This is an actual transcript of the Jets 1987 first round selection announcement.

Pete Rozelle: "The New York Jets' first round selection, fullback-"

Unnamed fan: "OHHH NO!"

Rozelle: "Roger Vick, Texas A&M"

Positive reaction:

Sanchez- greatest draft moment of my life

Brick, Mangold, Kyle Wilson, Stephen Hill, Jamal Adams

Meh:

Revis, Gholston, Richardson

Darnold- I knew Mayfield was the truth and if we were gonna get another guy I wanted Rosen. It was more frustration than anything against Darnold.

Hated:

Wilkerson- wanted Cam Heyward

Coples- wanted Engram

Milliner - wanted o-line

Maye- I was at a party and chugged my beer in rage, wanted ANYONE ELSE.

Archived