The case against Williams is weak

1 hour ago, Philc1 said:

Difference is Oliver played Nose his entire college career and will probably have to move to OLB which is an enormous transition

Just because you keep saying it doesn't make it any more valid.

• Upvote 1

The SOJ in me thinks like Beningo who has said that the Jets will out-smart themselves once again. He thinks that they’ll go with Oliver.

Mac’s past 1st round draft history tells us that he’ll select the b.a.p.  So if Williams and Allen are sitting there at 3, it’ll be Williams.

But in my opinion, he shouldn’t go b.a.p. this time. This team’s been looking for a good edge rusher since Calvin Pace ( I know that ain’t saying much) so the ballsy move is to fill up that need and pick Allen. 

But the SOJ in me knows he won’t. 

Cant wait to start a “ we need a pass rusher now!” Thread somewhere between weeks 2-3.

2 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Yeah they only way we’re not taking Williams is if he goes 1. Just doesn’t feel likely.

I'd guess? But even for an entity as sh*tty and useless as the NFL draft media, missing this hard on Kyler Murray to the Cards seems extreme. Should be interesting. Quinnen to the Jets has to be the chalk 

Williams is not Ngata or Jenkins. He's not a guy that's gonna come in and be a disruptive force in the middle of a 3-4 or 4-3 DL. He would be solid, decent,depedenable. But not a guy that would keep opposing OCs worried ; he can be blocked, and singled.  And you already have and are overpaying the same exact player also named Williams also with #92. But this would be the most Jets thing to do ever. 

14 hours ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

They're making like taking a guy who was only all pro once or twice and leaving at least one better player on the board is some kind of calamity and I'm going sign me up 

It’s like if we don’t trade down to draft Jonah we are drafting another box safety

14 hours ago, nycdan said:

It's a fair point to consider - if a DT is worth the #3 pick (other than Aaron Donald who is a clear outlier).  But I am amused by the people who way QW isn't worth the #3 pick but Ed Oliver is.  Every year we have a 'fancy flavor' who roughly 30-40% of our posters are gaga over and want to draft above his consensus spot, and Oliver appears to be this year's version. 

He might be great, but when most of the rest of the world thinks QW is the better prospect, I'm dubious that the fans here are smarter than everyone else.  In fact, based on years of observation, I'm pretty sure that's not the case ;)

You just referred to an adult male human as a fancy flavor in cute little quotes. So um. Let's leave it at smarter than you.

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, ElBarrioJets said:

Draft the best available DE/OLB because that position is a complete black hole, or trade down and go for the top Olinemen. Let's not overthink this. 

This. I have nothing against QW. I think he is a great prospect. But although the tape is great. He's only played one full season on a team full of defensive studs. So there is not MUCH tape. 

Meanwhile, let's not discount the great Edge prospects- specifically Allen. Just as some may not see a good argument against drafting QW, I don't see a good argument against drafting Allen. And unlike QW, Allen played 4 years, has proven that he can stay on the field, improve as a player, and keep a straight head on his shoulders. Not to mention he fills a legitimate need, not to mention he is a great fit and a balanced OLB who can also cover and hold his own against the run. I like Bosa but the injuries scare me and I think he is worthless in coverage (which may be fine if he is an elite Pass Rusher- but we don;t know that yet).

So, to me, you take Allen then address O-line in Rd. 3 or move up to round 2 (Jets have an EARLY 3rd rounder) to take a C or OT if you really like a guy and think he will be gone. 

• 7 months later...
On 4/25/2019 at 8:18 AM, Bugg said:

Williams is not Ngata or Jenkins. He's not a guy that's gonna come in and be a disruptive force in the middle of a 3-4 or 4-3 DL. He would be solid, decent,depedenable. But not a guy that would keep opposing OCs worried ; he can be blocked, and singled.  And you already have and are overpaying the same exact player also named Williams also with #92. But this would be the most Jets thing to do ever. 

Harumph

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 4

On 4/24/2019 at 8:25 PM, CanadienJetsFan said:

The SOJ in me thinks like Beningo who has said that the Jets will out-smart themselves once again. He thinks that they’ll go with Oliver.

Mac’s past 1st round draft history tells us that he’ll select the b.a.p.  So if Williams and Allen are sitting there at 3, it’ll be Williams.

But in my opinion, he shouldn’t go b.a.p. this time. This team’s been looking for a good edge rusher since Calvin Pace ( I know that ain’t saying much) so the ballsy move is to fill up that need and pick Allen. 

But the SOJ in me knows he won’t. 

Cant wait to start a “ we need a pass rusher now!” Thread somewhere between weeks 2-3.

I’m patting myself on my back for this gem!

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/24/2019 at 11:57 AM, kevinc855 said:

Talk to anyone who knows football and Q Williams is the best prospect in the draft. He’s a man to watch. The tape is amazing and he almost seems destined to be a pro bowl player. He also improves Leonard Williams. This is warren sapp, John Randall guy who can rush the passer NOT from the edge by all reports. He’s not a roll of the dice like some early second rounder would be. 

So why are people opposed. It’s not exactly football talk it’s more emotionally based

” I don’t want another dL”

”we have other needs”

This team has a lot of holes still and won’t be fixed tomorrow but drafting q if available and grabbing an o lineman in early 3rd seems a solid token to me. Not sure why mac is so obsessed with getting extra picks. He hasn’t picked to well outside the first round.  

Picks should be about quality not quantity. 

Where's the tape your talking about 

In the NFL not too impressed

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 2

On 4/24/2019 at 7:11 PM, Philc1 said:

They’re both ridiculously athletic

Difference is Oliver played Nose his entire college career and will probably have to move to OLB which is an enormous transition

QW would play the same position pretty much that he did in college

On 4/24/2019 at 8:20 PM, RobR said:

Just because you keep saying it doesn't make it any more valid.

On 4/25/2019 at 9:56 AM, Philc1 said:

Sorry I’ll stop saying stuff that’s accurate

How is Ed Oliver adapting to OLB these days?

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 2

On 4/24/2019 at 4:37 PM, Darnold Schwarzenegger said:

You simply don't draft any DT at #3 overall. The positional value is not worth that high of a pick.

Well I basically said the exact same thing today in the other quinnen Williams thread. At least I'm consistent

hours ago, Darnold Schwarzenegger said:

I understand everyone had ranked Q very highly. That wasn't my point. What I meant was that no DT should have been a serious consideration with the 3rd overall pick. 

What are the most important positions on the football field?

1. Qb

2. Left tackle

3. Olber/pass rusher

4. WR

5. Cb

With a top 5 pick you need to draft a Qb, someone who can sack the Qb, someone who protects the Qb, someone for the quarterback to throw the ball to, or someone to intercept the QB. 

You don't waste top 5 picks on run stuffing defensive tackles. But that's why we have a bottom 5 roster. Macc had no idea what he was doing. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

over it abandon thread GIF

I love how the best player is magically available for us every year. We have amazing luck.....unless they aren’t the actual best players available because positional value is REAL. I can’t even believe the last 5 years were way worse after the final years of TannenBUM and Idiotzik.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 2